Wikipediocracy blog posts
Hersch
Retired
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Herschelkrustofsky
Wikipedia Review Member: Herschelkrustofsky

Wikipedia: as accurate as Britannica?

Unread post by Hersch » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:59 am

“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Malcolm X

EricBarbour

Re: Wikipedia: as accurate as Britannica?

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:25 am

Looks good. Remember, tomorrow is President's Day in the US, so a lot of people won't be at work and web-surfing as usual, nor will many journalists be at their desks. I could post this to Slashdot, although I'd prefer to wait till Tuesday and even then it won't stand a good chance.

Hersch
Retired
Wikipedia User: Herschelkrustofsky
Wikipedia Review Member: Herschelkrustofsky

Unread post by Hersch » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:36 am

EricBarbour wrote:Looks good. Remember, tomorrow is President's Day in the US, so a lot of people won't be at work and web-surfing as usual, nor will many journalists be at their desks. I could post this to Slashdot, although I'd prefer to wait till Tuesday and even then it won't stand a good chance.
I am somewhat mystified by this stuff, so I need all the advice I can get.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Malcolm X

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:48 am

Hersch wrote:I am somewhat mystified by this stuff, so I need all the advice I can get.
I clearly recall having a discussion with Andreas and others about the best time to post on the blog: late Sunday night or early Monday morning (workday, not a holiday) was the best, because so many people web-surf at work and journalists are looking for something to cover on Monday AM. Admittedly this schedule is America-centric and only works for Europe because it's 4 hours ahead of the east coast, but since most of the audience for en-WP and other major WPs is in North America and Europe, it works well enough.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:57 am

EricBarbour wrote:Admittedly this schedule is America-centric and only works for Europe because it's 4 hours ahead of the east coast
More than that. Western Europe is 5 hours ahead, Central Europe 6 hours and Eastern Europe 7 hours. However, I think Americans turn their clocks forward before Europeans so things get confused during March.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:56 am

Poetlister wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:Admittedly this schedule is America-centric and only works for Europe because it's 4 hours ahead of the east coast
More than that. Western Europe is 5 hours ahead, Central Europe 6 hours and Eastern Europe 7 hours. However, I think Americans turn their clocks forward before Europeans so things get confused during March.
This site seems very American post-wise timing.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:08 am

enwikibadscience wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
This site seems very American post-wise timing.
If only there were a "blog post alarm clock" we could use. :idea:
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:36 am

Excellent article, although more analysis would be useful.

The structural problems bedeviling Wikipedia are weakest in the areas that
  • have projects run by academics (or persons with graduate training), and
    are difficult so that nuts and incompetent amateurs are less likely to write junk or to damage articles.
The projects in the science, logic, mathematics, and music are islands of sanity.

Research on quality projects, which are few, should not be extrapolated to evaluations of Wikipedia, which is dominated by weirdos and mediocrities writing about their obsessions with tv shows, movies, video games, sports, bacon, etc.

(The weirdos and mediocrities writing about pop-culture obsessions are a mediocre side of Wikipedia. A bad side is the social-networking power-games by teenagers and obsessives.)
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
You run into assholes all day; you're the asshole.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:07 pm

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote: The projects in the science, logic, mathematics, and music are islands of sanity.
Only comparatively.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:11 pm

EricBarbour wrote:<snip neat map>
I don't know about the rest and it's a tiny proportion of the edits, but your map is dodgy for Australia.

Aside from the fact that most of the east coast maps in IPs to Sydney and most of the west and south map to Melbourne (despite being, in some cases, thousands of kilometers away), there simply aren't enough people in Alice Springs to justify any sort of red mark at all.

But, as I said, tiny portion of edits and doesn't take away from the value for the main weight of the distribution.
-----------
Notvelty

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:07 pm

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:Excellent article, although more analysis would be useful.

The structural problems bedeviling Wikipedia are weakest in the areas that
  • have projects run by academics (or persons with graduate training), and
    are difficult so that nuts and incompetent amateurs are less likely to write junk or to damage articles.
The projects in the science, logic, mathematics, and music are islands of sanity.
Reminder to turn my attention to the logic articles this week.
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:44 am

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:The projects in the science, logic, mathematics, and music are islands of sanity.
I beg to differ, sir. Strenuously.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:06 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:The projects in the science, logic, mathematics, and music are islands of sanity.
Someone who understands the stuff better than I could probably write a great blog post (if not a dissertation) on WP's plant taxonomy wars between the traditionalists, the adherents to APGII, and the prognosticators of APGIII went to battle in 2007/8/9 (don't ask, just plant nerd stuff). WP's taxonomy trees are as likely to reflect some nutter's wild theory as they are the actual state of the science.
This is not a signature.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:39 pm

Okay, mathematics and music theory are islands of sanity....
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
You run into assholes all day; you're the asshole.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:20 pm

SB_Johnny wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
Someone who understands the stuff better than I could probably write a great blog post (if not a dissertation) on WP's plant taxonomy wars between the traditionalists, the adherents to APGII, and the prognosticators of APGIII went to battle in 2007/8/9 (don't ask, just plant nerd stuff). WP's taxonomy trees are as likely to reflect some nutter's wild theory as they are the actual state of the science.
It's getting difficult to tell whether anything in plant taxonomy is "some nutter's wild theory" or not. Ming did a few species articles but largely threw in the towel after all the renamings and taxonomical overhauls. Of course the taxobox template is firmly wedded to the Linneaen system.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:35 pm

Ming wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
It's getting difficult to tell whether anything in plant taxonomy is "some nutter's wild theory" or not. Ming did a few species articles but largely threw in the towel after all the renamings and taxonomical overhauls. Of course the taxobox template is firmly wedded to the Linneaen system.
I think it's in part because the system tends to change every time someone writes their dissertation. The problem with WP is that you're never sure which system or combination of systems is being applied.
This is not a signature.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:40 pm

SB_Johnny wrote:
Ming wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote: Someone who understands the stuff better than I could probably write a great blog post (if not a dissertation) on WP's plant taxonomy wars between the traditionalists, the adherents to APGII, and the prognosticators of APGIII went to battle in 2007/8/9 (don't ask, just plant nerd stuff). WP's taxonomy trees are as likely to reflect some nutter's wild theory as they are the actual state of the science.
I think it's in part because the system tends to change every time someone writes their dissertation. The problem with WP is that you're never sure which system or combination of systems is being applied.
A decade of arguments, and still going strong.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:30 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
Thank you.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:36 pm

SB_Johnny wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
Courtesy largely of DYK and with spreading by Cwmhiraeth (T-C-L), gastropods and bats are also disasters. Cwmhiraeth, in fact, just makes it up and wings it when the taxonomies are confusing. She can't follow a Linnean taxonomy scheme, so she can't read what she put in the taxobox. She often begins a paragraph in one taxonomic system, the continues the phylogenics, without understanding what that or taxonomy means, in another section with a different taxonomy as if it was the same one.

And, like all of Wikipedia, there is not a single editor or admin, knowing that she does this, who is willing to stop her from getting thousands of views on the main page for what she makes up.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:08 am

You could also add the "Aussie WP mafia" and their fondness for banksia plants (especially Cas Liber). You can also add the now-former administrator Brian "EncycloPetey" Speer, a UC Berkeley botanist, and his fondness for hornworts. And fighting over hornwort articles.

There's some "bias" for you. Administrators can write whatever specialized content they want, and make it stick. Non-administrators have no rights or protections at all.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:43 pm

EricBarbour wrote:You could also add the "Aussie WP mafia" and their fondness for banksia plants (especially Cas Liber). You can also add the now-former administrator Brian "EncycloPetey" Speer, a UC Berkeley botanist, and his fondness for hornworts. And fighting over hornwort articles.

There's some "bias" for you. Administrators can write whatever specialized content they want, and make it stick. Non-administrators have no rights or protections at all.
Banksia is a favorite and interesting plant in Australia, and those articles seem accurate. Berkeley is a leading center for research in hornworts and related plants. I do not know if EncycloPetey's hornworts are accurate or not, but, whatever his biases, he has knowledge in his area.

I think a bias that produces well-written articles is not as bad as a bias that creates a community around the protection of bad science, like Cwmhiraeth's made up information. At least Petey knows what taxonomy means. Cwmhiraeth should not be writing anything about taxonomy, instead she is writing hundreds of articles each year on a subject area in which she is completely without knowledge.

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:30 pm

This blog post has a link in Marty Kaplan's article "E-n-c-y-c-l-o-p-æ-d-i-a", published yesterday by The Huffington Post and a few other outlets.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:08 pm

HRIP7 wrote:This blog post has a link in Marty Kaplan's article "E-n-c-y-c-l-o-p-æ-d-i-a", published yesterday by The Huffington Post and a few other outlets.
Hah. For someone to say that on Huffpost a few years ago would have been unthinkable. We're also seeing fewer and fewer of those idiotic "everything I need to know about life I learned on Wikipedia" editorials and blog posts.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:05 am

Britain Trusts Britannica; Encyclopedia More Trusted than Rivals, Media, Major Professions
The president of Encyclopaedia Britannica®, Inc. today spoke out about a widely overlooked piece of research that reveals a high degree of trust in his company’s handiwork among the British public.
PR Web (press release), 23 October 2014 linkhttp://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/10/prweb12271435.htm[/link]
[...] In a survey conducted recently by YouGov.co.uk, 87 percent of British respondents reported having a significant measure of faith in the truthfulness of Encyclopaedia Britannica, 20 percent more than for Wikipedia and the top British media outlets. [...] Recent years have seen a surge in enthusiasm for “crowdsourcing,” a highly open form of online collaboration used by Wikipedia and other websites, in which many far-flung Internet users are allowed to participate in the creation and editing of content without regard to their experience or qualifications. The theory, sometimes referred to as “the wisdom of crowds,” is that the large number of contributors will compensate for deficiencies in their individual competencies, producing work of good quality. But as reports have surfaced about the problems with crowdsourcing—which include vandalism, bias, poor writing, and a high error rate—they appear to have reinforced confidence in publications such as Britannica, which practice rigorous editorial methods, using qualified scholars and writers, extensive manuscript review and revision, and thorough fact checking. [...] The most striking difference between the two online encyclopedias was in the highest category, 35% having a great deal of trust in Britannica as compared with 7% for Wikipedia. Britannica also scored high marks among young people (ages 18-24 and 25-39), dispelling the commonplace myth that these groups prefer newer websites over established sources. [...]
Britain Trusts Britannica: linkhttp://corporate.britannica.com/wp-cont ... rust-4.pdf[/link]
former Living Person

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:11 am

At least Britannica does not cover specific Pokémon species, specific Simpsons episodes, specific seasons of specific semi-professional sports teams, specific freeways, or specific rapid transit stations.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:31 pm

Johnny Au wrote:At least Britannica does not cover specific Pokémon species, specific Simpsons episodes, specific seasons of specific semi-professional sports teams, specific freeways, or specific rapid transit stations.
To be fair to Wikipedia, after you've discarded all the silly articles it is stil bigger than Britannica and has a great deal of information that Britannica does not. If only someone could discard the junk and polish up the huge number of inferior articles, we'd have something really useful. Obviously, the resources required would be huge.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:09 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:At least Britannica does not cover specific Pokémon species, specific Simpsons episodes, specific seasons of specific semi-professional sports teams, specific freeways, or specific rapid transit stations.
To be fair to Wikipedia, after you've discarded all the silly articles it is stil bigger than Britannica and has a great deal of information that Britannica does not. If only someone could discard the junk and polish up the huge number of inferior articles, we'd have something really useful. Obviously, the resources required would be huge.
Of course Wikipedia is a great encyclopedia. I learn so much from it. I enjoy WikiGnoming. Unfortunately, it is full of junk, cruft that interests very few people, and bad governance.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:11 pm

Johnny Au wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
Of course Wikipedia is a great encyclopedia. I learn so much from it. I enjoy WikiGnoming. Unfortunately, it is full of junk, cruft that interests very few people, and bad governance.
And assholes.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:19 pm

Poetlister wrote:If only someone could discard the junk and polish up the huge number of inferior articles, we'd have something really useful. Obviously, the resources required would be huge.
Junk or inferior? Who can tell.
Miss Latina Universe (T-H-L) (Spanish: Miss Latina Universo) is a beauty pageant and reality show for Latina women in which one will represent the ethnicity at Miss Universe pageant.[1] The first episode of Miss Latina Universe will be broadcast on June 15 on Telemundo and will go on for several weeks, the winner will compete in Miss Universe 2014.[2][3] Rashel Díaz and Raúl González will host.[1][4] Therefore "Miss Latina Universe" has been postponed until further notice."Latin Times"
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined