Vector 2022 skin

We examine the less than successful stories of the Wikimedia Foundation to create and use technology. The poster boy for this forum is Visual Editor.
Wampyre1990
Contributor
kołdry

Vector 2022 skin

Unread post by Wampyre1990 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:51 am

There is an RFC going on about changing the default Wikipedia skin to Vector 2022 Wikipedia:Requests for comment/Deployment of Vector (2022) (T-H-L)
Should the Vector 2022 skin be deployed as the default to English Wikipedia on desktop at this time (pending completion of tasks already agreed upon by the community)? OVasileva (WMF), SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 15:02, 21 September 2022 (UTC)
At least the WMF seem to have learned from heavy handed Visual editor and super protect roll-outs and are engaging with the community.

boom
Contributor

Re: Vector 2022 skin

Unread post by boom » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:34 pm

It's beyond me how it's possible for anyone to look at a side-by-side comparison of the two Vectors and declare that the 2022 version is better. It just isn't, in any way whatsoever, and I say that based on the images at the top of the RfC that the skin's developers hand-picked to showcase their baby. WTF is going on?

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:27 pm

boom wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:34 pm
WTF is going on?
I guess the short answer is "the usual," but they've been wanting to shrink that logo ball in the upper left corner for years now. What they're calling "Vector 2022" has actually existed (or "in development," at least) for about three years already, and we even had a thread on it in two years ago. (Mr. Ming noted at the time that the existing skin has a few problems with images shifting position when running in "Desktop mode" on smartphones or small browser windows.)

The other thing the new skin would do — and I suspect this is much more important to them than they're letting on — is move what they're calling the "tools" links from the left side of the page and put them in a drop-down menu in the upper-right corner, at least for people who aren't logged-in registered Wikipedia users. Obviously I'm more cynical than most about things like this, but they may be hoping this will have a psychological effect on non-users, discouraging them from researching the article histories and things of that nature.

Another suspicion I have is that they're worried about better-looking live scrapers like WikiWand siphoning off their Google clicks, which could reduce their PageRanks, so for the past 2-3 years they've been wanting/trying to emulate WikiWand — at least partially.

So.... as to whether or not it's an improvement on a purely aesthetic basis, I'd have to say the new version is slightly better. Apologies to all of you who dislike it, of course... Maybe I'm just so sick of seeing articles look the same for 15-20 years, just about any change would seem like an improvement.

ArmasRebane
Gregarious

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:40 am

I think it's another dumb example of "throw whitespace at everything, that's 'better', right" overall, but that especially for logged-out users having a simpler sidebar with ever-present table of contents is a better navigation paradigm for desktop readers.

The RfC is absolutely not going to get any sort of clear mandate for implementing it, but that's to be expected—while it's good they are engaging with the community rather than foisting it, the reality is if you haven't been following the minute this still feels like it got dumped on people with no warning, and people are going to react badly to that, in addition to the change.

It's still bizarre to me that they have the large image padding on thumbnails, though. They've had prototypes in the gadgets of much cleaner looks for years and it remains one of the most archaic-looking parts of the layout.

Expectation: the community will shoot down Vector 2022, and in two-ish years when they've addressed more of the community complaints it'll go back up for another vote and get implemented, and then there will just be some more "forever Vector" people joining those weirdos who still have Monobook on.

el84
Gregarious
Actual Name: Andy E

Unread post by el84 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:41 pm

I'm guessing they've got this new Vector thingy installed on the Japanese wiki as it looked rather different when I had to look something up the other day. Once I realised that they'd moved the language tab to the other right, I found it a lot easier to use for browsing and navigating within the article than what the current English wiki has for default.

FelinaLavandula
Regular
Nom de plume: Arugula

Unread post by FelinaLavandula » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:06 pm

Oh good, I was about to make a new post about this, then I saw this thread. Anyway, I think it’s highly objectionable to make an RfC for a visual change like this and include two (2) screenshots of mobile screens, in desktop view for no reason, and without specification of browser or OS. Indeed I find it exceedingly strange to not provide browser or OS information for the PC views either! Maybe I’m just some kind of biased stickler, especially because I now tend to edit on mobile*, but does this not seem odd to others? On a site that’s rather famous for being filled with obnoxious and pedantic tech nerds???
Otherwise I don’t have much of an opinion on this. I don’t like the tools thing, I will find it very inconvenient to not have easy access to page history. If the change is ever implemented, with Vector 2022 looking the way it does in those screenshots, I’ll just change my user skin back and on it goes…

*The current skin is fine on my Android/Samsung tablet device on Vivaldi, but a lot of templates require me to enter desktop mode to view properly, which is really annoying. However, this is mostly a problem because I’m addicted to noticeboard lurking, which I can’t imagine is a big deal for most other mobile users.

ArmasRebane
Gregarious

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:28 pm

FelinaLavandula wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:06 pm
Maybe I’m just some kind of biased stickler, especially because I now tend to edit on mobile*
:blink:

(But seriously: the underlying big issue for Wikipedia is dealing with the fact that most people, especially those underrepresented communities, are not likely to have anything other than a cell phone. The VisualEditor is certainly a major step up from raw syntax, but the user experience on mobile feels miserable whenever I do it and if the option was either not edit or edit on mobile, I don't think I'd be editing. I'm impressed you find it tolerable enough to make that your usual editing environment. The desktop skin is relatively small potatoes.)

Currently at around 150 support, 160 against, 9 neutral. We'll see if enough people support the alt proposals to give WMF the cover to go for those gradual rollovers and claim victory after a fashion.

FelinaLavandula
Regular

Unread post by FelinaLavandula » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:45 pm

I generally only make small edits, for which it’s perfectly usable (if sometimes miserable, yes). I don’t even know how people write entire articles on mobile; maybe if I used my word processor and copy pasted…

owl be it
Regular
Actual Name: 12345
Nom de plume: 4

Unread post by owl be it » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:25 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:27 pm
boom wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:34 pm
WTF is going on?
I guess the short answer is "the usual," but they've been wanting to shrink that logo ball in the upper left corner for years now. What they're calling "Vector 2022" has actually existed (or "in development," at least) for about three years already, and we even had a thread on it in two years ago. (Mr. Ming noted at the time that the existing skin has a few problems with images shifting position when running in "Desktop mode" on smartphones or small browser windows.)

The other thing the new skin would do — and I suspect this is much more important to them than they're letting on — is move what they're calling the "tools" links from the left side of the page and put them in a drop-down menu in the upper-right corner, at least for people who aren't logged-in registered Wikipedia users. Obviously I'm more cynical than most about things like this, but they may be hoping this will have a psychological effect on non-users, discouraging them from researching the article histories and things of that nature.

Another suspicion I have is that they're worried about better-looking live scrapers like WikiWand siphoning off their Google clicks, which could reduce their PageRanks, so for the past 2-3 years they've been wanting/trying to emulate WikiWand — at least partially.

So.... as to whether or not it's an improvement on a purely aesthetic basis, I'd have to say the new version is slightly better. Apologies to all of you who dislike it, of course... Maybe I'm just so sick of seeing articles look the same for 15-20 years, just about any change would seem like an improvement.
The way I see it, the less evidence there is of the website being editable, the more boldly the WMF can take credit for its existence and maintenance. I bet in the next few years they will be wanting to remove "that anyone can edit" from the slogan.
The artist formerly known as Yeet Bae...

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:45 pm

The Vector skin sucks and, at least in my opinion, offers me nothing different or better than what I was used to before. When they rolled out the old "default update" years ago the first thing I did was manually change it back to Monobook. The "new" Vector sounds like it's even worse. The whole thing sounds like a design team who need to show they've done something to justify their positions.

FelinaLavandula
Regular

Unread post by FelinaLavandula » Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:36 am

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:45 pm
The Vector skin sucks and, at least in my opinion, offers me nothing different or better than what I was used to before. When they rolled out the old "default update" years ago the first thing I did was manually change it back to Monobook. The "new" Vector sounds like it's even worse. The whole thing sounds like a design team who need to show they've done something to justify their positions.
:like:
Well, maybe someday we’ll get something out of it. Maybe…

MrErnie
Habitué

Unread post by MrErnie » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:11 pm

Slate article about it. I hate it - there's way too much empty space. Is this seriously the best they could do? Our buddy Jorm appears in the piece to tell a cool story, bro.

When I compare the main page in the 2022 vs 2010 skins I am baffled by how anyone thought the 2022 looks better.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:28 pm

New skin for the old ceremony.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:34 pm

Ah, that's convenient. Now the French and English wikipedia both have "other languages" and the wikidata element hidden in the same places. :)
los auberginos

Boing! said Zebedee
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Boing! said Zebedee

Unread post by Boing! said Zebedee » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:35 pm

Lots more white space, and the TOC screwed up... who on earth thought that was good?

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:50 pm

Oh god, it's so terrible.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Wikiguy.DC
Critic
Wikipedia User: DC

Unread post by Wikiguy.DC » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:41 pm

I can understand why they added the white space, but the execution isn't great. It seems the tex size stayed the same, so the page looks a bit zoomed out. The mobile version actually looks better now than the desktop one TBH because of that.

In addition, a lot of articles seem to alternate image placement between between the left and right side of the page, and it looks terrible in the new skin. It will probably take same time but aligning them all to the right would be best. (The New York City is a good example showing the alignments)

MrErnie
Habitué

Unread post by MrErnie » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:49 pm

If you decide to try it out, we, the Web team, suggest trying it for at least one week prior to deciding whether to switch to one of our older skins. It usually takes a few days to begin feeling comfortable with the new interface.
If it is not immediately better, why would anyone switch to it? Is this the standard in the developer world? Just the main page appearance alone should have killed this thing a long time ago. The white space is distracting, the TOC seems misplaced, and it now takes an extra click to get a link to your talk page or contribs.

Someone should nominate Wikipedia:Vector 2022 (T-H-L) for deletion.

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:08 pm

MrErnie wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:49 pm
…it now takes an extra click to get a link to your talk page or contribs.
I don’t mind the skin overall but the extra click is a bit annoying. It’s not like there’s no room for those links outside the menu.

ArmasRebane
Gregarious

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:28 pm

Mason wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:08 pm
MrErnie wrote:
I don’t mind the skin overall but the extra click is a bit annoying. It’s not like there’s no room for those links outside the menu.
Yep, it adds up.

Overall while it does some things better (like making the TOC always available on the left side of the toolbar) it actively makes editing harder and drops the information density way too low.

In general, the modern trend of hiding features with the ultimate result that no one is likely to know something is an option unless they click on inscrutable or subtle icons is perhaps the worst part of UI design these days. That, and getting rid of button shapes, probably.

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:53 pm

If you decide to try it out, we, the Web team, suggest trying it for at least one week prior to deciding whether to switch to one of our older skins. It usually takes a few days to begin feeling comfortable with the new interface.
That's because it doesn't come with a manual -- nothing seems to, these days (oh, oh, I'm "becoming my parents") -- so you probably need to waste a week to figure out, by trial and error, how the hell everything works.
Mason wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:08 pm
MrErnie wrote:
Neither of you seems to have discovered the "magic changing top bar" yet. Right, when you're at the top of the page, you need two clicks, but... scroll down a bit and then a new "top bar" drops down from the top into view. This other "top bar" has a double cartoon speech balloon icon, click on that to go to talk. So not two clicks, but, mouse-scroll and click.
MrErnie wrote:
the TOC seems misplaced
ArmasRebane wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:28 pm
Overall while it does some things better (like making the TOC always available on the left side of the toolbar)
No, no, no... the TOC is not always available on the left side of the toolbar...

Yes, seems they couldn't make up their minds where to put the TOC, so they decided to let the users move it around to their preferred location (if they get a clue and figure out how to do that) or make the TOC disappear altogether.

See the two "less than" symbols on the upper left corner <<?

Click on that, and the TOC which is down below the usual left margin links comes into view, as the left margin stuff disappears. The << has become an equivalence symbol , click on that to bring back the usual left margin links.

Then to get a really clean, totally empty left margin click on the [ hide ] link next to the Contents heading.

Oh, no! Now I want to bring the contents back, but where's the [show] link??

Well, Roger, if you were observant when you clicked the [ hide ] link you will have noticed that a new "bullet list icon" ⋮≡ appeared next to the title of the article you're reading. Click on that and voila there's where your table of contents was hiding.

Don't like it hiding there? Click on [move to sidebar] to move it back to where it was.
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

boom
Contributor

Unread post by boom » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:35 pm

The only rational explanation for today's surprise* roll-out of this absolute abortion is that they want to improve their account creation metrics; apparently, the only way to use the old skin as an unregistered user right now is to add

Code: Select all

?useskin=vector
to the address bar every time you go to a new page, which is less than ideal even if you know how to automate the process.
*I use Wikipedia every day. I didn't know it was going to happen. Therefore, it was a surprise and no, I don't care if there was an announcement on some god-forsaken noticeboard that nobody ever visits.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:48 am

Wikipedia Gets a Fresh New Look: First Desktop Update in a Decade Puts Usability at the Forefront
By Wikimedia Foundation•18 January 2023
The interface update, built in collaboration with Wikipedia volunteers worldwide, will make the site more welcoming, easier to use for everyone
“The Wikipedia desktop update is one of the major improvements the Wikimedia Foundation is making to help people easily access the world’s knowledge, in support of our mission to make sure every person on the planet has free and equitable access to knowledge, regardless of where they live or where they are from,” said Selena Deckelmann, Chief Product and Technology Officer at the Wikimedia Foundation. “The changes make it easier for people to find and learn from the work of our incredible volunteers. These features were created with feedback from readers and volunteers from all over the world, aiming to meet the needs of our increasingly diverse audience, while keeping the simple and straightforward feel that millions of people have come to trust over the last 22 years.”
Share your feedback

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:55 am

tarantino wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:48 am
Wikipedia Gets a Fresh New Look: First Desktop Update in a Decade Puts Usability at the Forefront
By Wikimedia Foundation•18 January 2023
The interface update, built in collaboration with Wikipedia volunteers worldwide, will make the site more welcoming, easier to use for everyone
“The Wikipedia desktop update is one of the major improvements the Wikimedia Foundation is making to help people easily access the world’s knowledge, in support of our mission to make sure every person on the planet has free and equitable access to knowledge, regardless of where they live or where they are from,” said Selena Deckelmann, Chief Product and Technology Officer at the Wikimedia Foundation. “The changes make it easier for people to find and learn from the work of our incredible volunteers. These features were created with feedback from readers and volunteers from all over the world, aiming to meet the needs of our increasingly diverse audience, while keeping the simple and straightforward feel that millions of people have come to trust over the last 22 years.”
Share your feedback
“None of the goats moved.”

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:47 am

+1 for "what is this rubbish??". So much wasted space.

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:28 pm

ArmasRebane wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:40 am
I think it's another dumb example of "throw whitespace at everything, that's 'better', right"
MrErnie wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:11 pm
I hate it - there's way too much empty space.
Boing! said Zebedee wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:35 pm
Lots more white space, and the TOC screwed up... who on earth thought that was good?
Mojito wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:47 am
This was about my reaction when they first unveiled it and started asking for feedback (RfC). They heard you, and after someone wrote a Custom CSS override to address the issue, they implemented an option to disable their "limited width mode". Both Skin preferences are checked by default, just un-check Enable limited width mode.
Vector2022.jpg
Vector 2022 is much more customizable than Vector 2010. For some things like diffs I think it uses less white space.

This isn't the disaster other WMF products like VisualEditor have been. I think it will achieve more widespread adoption, once users figure out how to customize it to their taste.

I recall how I was cussing at my new phone with a new version of Android for a couple days, before I figured out how to close an app. Of course they had to change that from the previous version which was more intuitive. A couple of my friends still haven't figured it out. They asked me for help with their phones, and I found they had dozens of open apps, which I closed for them.

Back in the day, when a new version of software came out, they offered training classes to teach you how to use it, or you could read the fucking manual.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:19 pm

I'm still suffering with it, but I will probably change back to the older skin for one simple reason - the space beside the sidebar. I appreciate that I can hide it when viewing my watchlist, but if I'm looking at a user page I need to unhide it again just to look at contributions (which I do all the time). I may just add some custom CSS, but it's easier just to switch back.

If I wasn't an unusual power user, I'd probably be fine with the changes. I don't love it, but I also don't care that much. As Bezdomi said, at least it's the same now as French (and other) languages.

Boing! said Zebedee
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Boing! said Zebedee

Unread post by Boing! said Zebedee » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:31 pm

No Ledge wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:28 pm
This was about my reaction when they first unveiled it and started asking for feedback (RfC). They heard you, and after someone wrote a Custom CSS override to address the issue, they implemented an option to disable their "limited width mode". Both Skin preferences are checked by default, just un-check Enable limited width mode.

Vector2022.jpg

Vector 2022 is much more customizable than Vector 2010. For some things like diffs I think it uses less white space.

This isn't the disaster other WMF products like VisualEditor have been. I think it will achieve more widespread adoption, once users figure out how to customize it to their taste.

I recall how I was cussing at my new phone with a new version of Android for a couple days, before I figured out how to close an app. Of course they had to change that from the previous version which was more intuitive. A couple of my friends still haven't figured it out. They asked me for help with their phones, and I found they had dozens of open apps, which I closed for them.

Back in the day, when a new version of software came out, they offered training classes to teach you how to use it, or you could read the fucking manual.
Thanks, that definitely does help. I'm still seeing unecessary white space in the left column. But I'll stick with it for a bit and see how it is on other pages, and see how much I can tweak it.

ArmasRebane
Gregarious

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:27 pm

No Ledge wrote:
ArmasRebane wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:40 am
I think it's another dumb example of "throw whitespace at everything, that's 'better', right"
MrErnie wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:11 pm
I hate it - there's way too much empty space.
Mojito wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:47 am

Vector2022.jpg

The problem is that defaults rule. Most logged-in users, dissatisfied though they might be, will not end up changing things. To say nothing of unregistered readers who can't easily opt-out (and they were supposed to have a toggle for the fixed-width thing on the pages for everyone as the response to the negative reactions from the RfC, but surprise surprise that is MIA and they still went ahead with the rollout.)

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:13 pm

I have tried not to be the old curmudgeon who rejects all changes, but I immediately hated the new look and switched back right away. I found it confusing and ugly.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:17 pm

No Ledge wrote:
Thanks for the tip, that's a huge improvement.

The desktop version also feels dumbed-down to make it look more like a mobile website, but I'll stop whingeing and give it a chance for a few days.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:31 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:13 pm
I have tried not to be the old curmudgeon who rejects all changes, but I immediately hated the new look and switched back right away. I found it confusing and ugly.
Every IP user is stuck with this garbage.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:39 am

How many of you complaining about too much white space have discovered that you can make articles look like this?
(note that I needed to make it a GIF to get it to upload, as a JPEG like my previous example the file was too large)
Whiting.gif

A "Wikipedia whiting event" is when a user makes both their left-margin tools and their table-of-contents disappear, thus obliterating all the hated white space on their monitor. :XD

Now, broadsheet newspapers don't do this. they put the text in multiple columns so that you don't lose track of what line you were on when you move from the end of the line on the right side to the start of the next line on the left side.

Maybe Vector 2030 will automatically generate suitable-width broadsheet-style columns?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:11 am

Vigilant wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:31 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:13 pm
Every IP user is stuck with this garbage.
IP users can make their screens go into

⋮≡

mode but they're still left with default white space on both the left and right, because they cannot disable
"limited width mode".

Why can't they let IP editors set "session preferences" that stay with them until they change devices?

The community could decide what settings they prefer, and if they're not the current default, then the community could hold an RfC to change the default on the English Wikipedia.

i.e. hold an RfC to make the Enable limited width mode box unchecked by default :evilgrin:

Ryuichi
Gregarious

Unread post by Ryuichi » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:22 am

Mojito wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:17 pm
No Ledge wrote:
Thanks for the tip, that's a huge improvement.
Perhaps browser or window size dependent, but I didn't find that it made much, if any, difference.

I'm not enjoying the presentation of the different languages for each page. The extra click, multiple columns & the idiosyncratic categorisation by "continent" are less user friendly than the simple ordered list of Vector2010.

Do any other multilinguists have an opinion?

redbaron
Critic

Unread post by redbaron » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:04 am

In the meantime, MediaWiki's new version was apparently not tested on Legacy Vector prior to rollout; trying to use the desktop view on a mobile device is impossible, as everything is now smooshed together. I ended up having to set up Vector 2022 globally in order to be able to keep browsing other projects from my phone.
Ryuichi wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:22 am
I'm not enjoying the presentation of the different languages for each page. The extra click, multiple columns & the idiosyncratic categorisation by "continent" are less user friendly than the simple ordered list of Vector2010.

Do any other multilinguists have an opinion?
Not too fond of it either. The "suggested languages" section seems to be picking from the Babel userboxes in my user page, which is nice; but it is also suggesting Arabic and Chinese, which I don't understand at all :shrug: I much prefer the previous list to the current categorization as well.

Smultronstället
Regular

Unread post by Smultronstället » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:30 am

Someone on Sucks said this extension works, but it's for Chrome.
All that's needed is humility, prayer, fasting, Bible reading, patient endurance, and true faith in and obedience to Jesus. Correct belief adheres strictly to the Bible neither omitting nor adding to the Word of God. There are no secrets.

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:52 am

No Ledge wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:39 am
How many of you complaining about too much white space have discovered that you can make articles look like this?
Yes, but you need to collapse the TOC sidebar on every single damn article you visit.

Turning the sidebar on and off changes the length of the article, so if you do it while midway through an article, you'll lose your spot. And I've just discovered that the Edit Preview doesn't seem to be able to display the TOC at all.

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:21 am

Mojito wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:52 am
I've just discovered that the Edit Preview doesn't seem to be able to display the TOC at all.
Hey you're right. Good catch! Also in preview mode the languages are still in the Vector 2010 legacy position at the bottom of the left-margin tools-bar.

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:34 am

Preview mode also leaves the Enable limited width mode box checked.

It's like you're an IP editor in preview mode with regard to your skin preferences, you can't change them.

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:04 pm

Another annoying glitch I just discovered. An issue with section links.

List of Regular Show characters#Main (T-H-L)

That's supposed to take you to the top of the section titled "Main".

It probably does, but then that magic dropping-down toolbar drops down and covers up the section heading.

So effectively it drops you into a random spot in the first paragraph of the section you linked to. You need to scroll back up with your mouse to actually see the section heading.

P.S. Don't get me started on why I'm using this article as an example. It annoys me no end that I have to spend time cleaning up after the kids who write this stuff because they're much more likely to trigger the issues that I patrol for.

MrErnie
Habitué

Unread post by MrErnie » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:24 pm

There's now an RFC at the Village Pump to return Vector 2010 as the default skin - link.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:41 pm

MrErnie wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:24 pm
There's now an RFC at the Village Pump to return Vector 2010 as the default skin - link.
:popcorn:

Let's see how the kinder, gentler WMF deals with this.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:50 pm

el84
Gregarious
Actual Name: Andy E

Unread post by el84 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:44 pm

If I half the width of the browser screen, then the white space disappears (in IP mode as I can't be arsed to log in). The TOC change will take some getting used to, but in the meantime it just means I go there less.

Emptyeye
Critic
Wikipedia User: Emptyeye2112

Unread post by Emptyeye » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:48 pm

I will say that, on my laptop, disabling the "Enable Limited Width" does change the experience from "Jesus Christ this is bloody awful I get that cell phones and tablets are more and more prevalent but there are plenty of 'large-scale' computer users still too why the heck are you trying to force WIkipedia to look like a cell phone app" to "Okay, this is still different, but there's at least a chance I could get used to this."

Maybe it's better on a smaller screen, I don't know. Since I almost never look at Wikipedia on my cell phone, I also don't care.

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:23 am

My reception to Vector 2022 so far is like a bell curve. Started rather negative, warmed up to it as I figured out the bells & whistles, perception peaked yesterday, and now I'm going back down negative as the issues I see keep piling up.

THIS :nsfw: bug report should be sufficient reason to back this out, until that and other issues surfaced by the release are resolved.

I just realized this is not a new bug report! It was filed last April! What were they thinking? :facepalm:

"NOT CENSORED", gag. But oh my, we can't out Congressman Santos?

Hell yes we should.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:34 pm

All the comedy rhodium of EditorEnema!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ector_2022

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:43 pm

Is it a required personality trait to be hired for customer liaison position at the WMF that you must have the thinnest of skins and the most fragile of egos?
@BabbaQ @Grorp @Melmann and others: as a member of the WMF firstly I can assure that we never make changes for the sake of change, to follow trends, or to justify our existence. Making changes to the Wikipedia interface is extremely difficult technically and culturally. We are very far from a world where changes are made carelessly.
The fact of the matter is that we've done our homework here (years of it), and the large majority of editors we spoke to (over 1,900 in total), and the large majority of readers (hundreds), have given us overwhelmingly positive feedback. If you take the time to read through the various rounds of feedback we collected (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) you will see this for yourself. This includes feedback on line-length, and other seemingly controversial topics. On top of that the data is very clear: people are searching more, engaging with the table of contents more, and generally exploring knowledge more deeply. On top of that we are now meeting more WCAG requirements than ever before, including most importantly their requirement around line-length. There are of course people who don't like change, don't like the foundation, and don't like the new interface. And these people inevitably scream the loudest in all possible places. This can be misleading, because it makes it seem like everyone hates the changes, and then you conclude in your mind that we must be evil because we're ignoring all of these people. This is far from the truth. We make decisions based on research, data, accessibility standards, and feedback. If you take the time to see the full picture I am confident you will come to a different understanding here.
Also, regarding the RfC, to set the record straight:

A bunch of people who had not been engaged with the project showed up and expressed very harsh first impressions, mainly regarding the fixed-width (which is now configurable)
The RfC had a favorable closing, which is done by the community and is the way that the outcomes of RfCs are determined (not by counting votes)
Our team followed the instructions of the closing of the RfC

I hope this helps you all make a little bit more sense of this frustrating change and time. I know from past experience that it takes hundreds of exchanges with volunteers to start to build any kind of trust, so I know you won't trust me for a while. But I promise you that our team wants to make the website better for everyone, and wants to help the Wikipedia movement continue to grow. If we take the time to zoom out a little bit I think we'd all realize that we're on the same team here, working to make free knowledge accessible to as many people as possible.
Cheers, AHollender (WMF) (talk) 17:49, 19 January 2023 (UTC)

orangepi
Gregarious
Wikipedia User:

Unread post by orangepi » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:13 pm

There are a lot of trolls, idiots, and people maximizing their self-importance in the "go back to the old UI" votes of that RFC.

Considering that the poll is set up in a way that encourages people to complain, even the current "60% in favor of reverting" would be no consensus, leaning towards "consensus to not try to override the WMF".