Wikipedia locks Elon Musk's page after he ‘begs’ Twitter users to ‘trash him’ on site

For discussions on privacy implications, including BLP issues
Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Wikipedia locks Elon Musk's page after he ‘begs’ Twitter users to ‘trash him’ on site

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:40 pm

Multi-billionaire tech mogul Elon Musks Wikipedia page has been locked for editing after Tesla CEO encouraged people to "trash" him on the site.

"History is written by the victors… except on Wikipedia," Musk tweeted on Sunday. In a follow-up tweet, he told his followers to "trash" him on the site, which typically allows anyone to edit its pages. "Please trash me on Wikipedia, I'm begging you," Musk said.
The Tribune (India)

Edit: Fix typo
Last edited by Poetlister on Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Re: Wikipedia locks Elon Musk's page after he ‘begs’ Twitter users to ‘trash him’ on site

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:44 pm

I'm sure Elon Musk is really worried about that.

Not.

Osborne
Habitué

Re: Wikipedia locks Elon Musk's page after he ‘begs’ Twitter users to ‘trash him’ on site

Unread post by Osborne » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:35 pm

Damn idiotic ASP.NET urls paired with "PHP quality" forum software...
Here's a working link:
https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/world ... ite-127372

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:42 pm

You never know what Elon Musk is thinking. He makes Trump seem logical and clear-thinking.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:49 pm

I've met Elon.

He's just a typical nerd with way too much money.

If we were playing D&D, I'd kill his character on purpose.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:53 pm

Yeah... go back to building cool rockets and trains and stuff, and maybe just leave twitter.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:59 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:53 pm
Yeah... go back to building cool rockets and trains and stuff, and maybe just leave twitter.
Social media for Elon is like the bathhouse for noface.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Pudeo
Regular

Unread post by Pudeo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:08 pm

Wikipedia is a website where you can anonymously scrape the bottom of a barrel to insert every possible negative piece of information than can be found from a source deemed reliable to a biography, and then gate-keep and wikilawyer the article indefinitely.

It's a good choice to simply embrace and ridicule this.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:10 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
He, or at least his firm, can do great things, as NASA has discovered. He should play to his strengths.

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:46 pm

My opinion of him dropped a notch after I encountered Wikipedia's articles about "Boca Chica".

He bought land in far South Texas at the Rio Grande delta with the Gulf. Weaseled in with assurances to the local community that his operation wouldn't significantly disrupt their quiet, peaceful retirement. Now he wants to buy them all out with offfers they can't refuse so he can turn their community into a resort for workers and tourists visiting his spaceport.

Why Cape Canaveral isn't good enough for him is beyond me; I guess he wants more "private control".

The community has had a bit of trouble with figuring out how to handle the situation. link

I see that someone has created a new article about Boca Chica (Texas) (T-H-L) based on the RM discussion.
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:34 am

For a fine example of credulous Wikibollocks concerning one of Musk's pet fantasy projects, see Hyperloop (T-H-L). Properly 'sourced' per Wikipedia rules, of course, since it isn't difficult for Musk to persuade the media to publish any old crap, as long as it has his name behind it.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:25 am

Then there was the case of the rescue of some boys trapped in a cave in Thailand. Musk offered to help, but his offer was politely declined by the rescue team, who knew that what he was proposing would not work. He went ballistic and made some very nasty comments about a chap called Vernon Unsworth.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:15 pm

It occurs to Ming, after consultation with the household, the Elon Musk is clearly the name of an X-Men villain.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:32 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:59 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
The last unknown phrase from Vigilant that I dared Google was "felch".

Is this on the log (felch) scale?
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:39 pm

Moral Hazard wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:32 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:59 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
The last unknown phrase from Vigilant that I dared Google was "felch".

Is this on the log (felch) scale?
:rotfl:

I got a good belly laugh about this.

It's from a Studio Ghibli movie called Spirited Away and it's completely wholesome.

The story behind NoFace

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:50 pm

Ming wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:15 pm
It occurs to Ming, after consultation with the household, the Elon Musk is clearly the name of an X-Men villain.
Yes, he squirts out some sort of toxic musk to disable his foes! :D

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:25 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:50 pm
Ming wrote:
Some say the musk discharge is composed of the same reality-altering formula used by the late Steve Jobs.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:49 am

Zoloft wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:25 pm
Poetlister wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:50 pm
Ming wrote:
Some say the musk discharge is composed of the same reality-altering formula used by the late Steve Jobs.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:21 pm

Until today, I haven't looked at it in years. His page used to be a near hagiography with his name spelled out in full as "Elon Musk" at every mention.

There's no mention in his article about how he nearly ran PayPal into the ground because he insisted on rebranding it "x.com" due to a bizarre fixation with that domain name. Or how he forced Tesla engineers to completely redesign the Roadster to the tune of millions in unnecessary expenditure because his wife had difficulty getting in and out of a model wearing a cocktail dress. And the Tham Luang cave rescue section mentions nothing about how he accused someone there to rescue children of being a pedophile simply because the guy said Musk's mini sub wouldn't work.

People really worship the guy like he's a messiah, but he really makes a LOT of dumb decisions and doesn't know when to shut up.

EDIT: I see the Unsworth thing is mentioned.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:36 pm

That's the reverse of the BLP problems we often mention. If someone is a cult figure, his biography is quite likely to get whitewashed. That can also happen to politicians; Sarah Palin's was thoroughly worked over just before she was announced as the VP candidate.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:09 pm

Imagine having untold wealth and power, being able to do pretty much anything you want, and choosing of your own free will to dedicate some time to fucking with a nonprofit website, sending your toadies in to attack your own reputation, in order to make the nonprofit look bad.

I know not everyone here is exactly a huge fan of WP, but from any perspective that is some seriously petty shit. If he really cared so much he could just pay to have a better online encyclopedia made, he could fund it with 100% paid staff doing all the work from day one without even noticing what it cost.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:10 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:09 pm
Imagine having untold wealth and power, being able to do pretty much anything you want, and choosing of your own free will to dedicate some time to fucking with a nonprofit website, sending your toadies in to attack your own reputation, in order to make the nonprofit look bad.

I know not everyone here is exactly a huge fan of WP, but from any perspective that is some seriously petty shit. If he really cared so much he could just pay to have a better online encyclopedia made, he could fund it with 100% paid staff doing all the work from day one without even noticing what it cost.
Well, that sort of pettiness is common among 21st-century God-CEOs, not excluding the CEO-in-Chief of the USA.

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:19 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Or even a fan of WP at all.

But I expect that Musk has more important things to do, like provide NASA with the space rockets it's missed for so many years now in your "best of all possible worlds".

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:48 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
That's a pretty severe condemnation of Wikipedia, if it's that easy to produce a better one.

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:04 pm

If there were ever an updated version of Jammin' Me (T-H-L), Elon Musk and Kanye West would have to be top contenders for the Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscopo slots.

“Give ’em all someplace to go...”

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:44 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:19 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
Or even a fan of WP at all.

But I expect that Musk has more important things to do, like provide NASA with the space rockets it's missed for so many years now in your "best of all possible worlds".
Given Musk's education, he surely has to spend as much time on technical affairs of rocketry as Jack Welch (T-H-L) had to devote to diesel locomotives.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:32 am

No doubt Musk has very little to do with the technical side of his business. He is a weird and sometimes unpleasant character, as witness his attack on Vern Unsworth, and I have no wish to defend him. However, you can be sure that if it weren't for him, the rocket would not have been developed.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:10 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:48 pm

That's a pretty severe condemnation of Wikipedia, if it's that easy to produce a better one.
It would be easy for him, because he has over a hundred billion dollars. He could put 0.1% of his net worth into it and that'd be $115,000,000.