My name is BrillLyle. My voice is my passport (I'm banned)

Bezdomni
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Re: My name is BrillLyle. My voice is my passport (I'm banne

Unread post by Bezdomni » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:40 pm

(Jaguar's link above leads to Oshwah's talk page) What follows is interesting too. An announcement encouraging super-blockers to get involved in deploying the new granular blocking machinery.
Sydney Poore wrote: You are receiving this message because you are a top user of [[Special:Block]] on this wiki. Thank you for the important work that you do. [...]

source
Ms. Poore's top blocker shortlist / mailing list.
los auberginos

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:18 pm

Catnip the Dwarf wrote:Wow. To think a certain person who posted my name and phone number on a certain other wiki (among other things) faced no consequences. Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but I think the contrast between Wikimedia wikis and others is interesting and not something that gets brought up much. It's a whole different world here.

I thought Oshwah only blocked vandals and trolls.
There's nothing magic about wikis. Why should a wiki not run by the WMF, or indeed any site where "anyone can edit" such as this site, have a culture anything like Wikipedia's?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)
Wikipedia User: Graaf Statler
Actual Name: Honored by the SanFranBan

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:31 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Catnip the Dwarf wrote:Wow. To think a certain person who posted my name and phone number on a certain other wiki (among other things) faced no consequences. Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but I think the contrast between Wikimedia wikis and others is interesting and not something that gets brought up much. It's a whole different world here.

There's nothing magic about wikis. Why should a wiki not run by the WMF, or indeed any site where "anyone can edit" such as this site, have a culture anything like Wikipedia's?
What makes Wikipedia so unique is because it is very, very attractive for users as described by The Garbage Scow. And because they create tons of free rubbish, they are rewarded with jobs like sysop, steward, arb, WIR jobs, jobs in the chapters, in WMF. They understand at least the mission of WMF, and that is the reason WMF loves them and protect them. And that makes the different with other "anyone can edit" projects. A "normal" person simple doesn't have the time and the interest to be there a school teacher for complete lunatics day and night, and that makes te WMF projects so special.
Not any connection to the English Wikipedia!

Catnip the Dwarf
Contributor

Unread post by Catnip the Dwarf » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:19 pm

BrillLyle wrote:

So do you think Wikimedia/Wikipedia is better about this stuff? I’m curious.
Better? Well, that's subjective, but IIRC WikiIndex has no policy on outing at all. Neither does uncyclopedia.co where the stalking/harassment originated, which is an unregulated nightmare that makes Wikimedia look like fluffy bunny land. IMHO having any enforceable policy on this is better than none. That said, the way they handle these things seems overly harsh, so I don't know. In any case I'm sorry this happened.
BrillLyle wrote:I think Oshwah thinks I’m a troll. He didn’t take the time to evaluate the stalking and the various histories of the organization and outreach work I did that was positive for all intents and purposes. He didn’t really look at the editing I’ve done consistently through the 5 years I was an editor. He seemed to just take everyone’s word for it and only looked at the nightmarish ANIs. Where no one looks good.
Oshwah seems like a good guy in general, but he never struck me as the type to get involved in disputes between established editors. He's more of a vandal fighter. I suspect he was out of his depth.

I'm reminded of this argument (the Tbsdy vs. Giano part), which was handled very differently. Different circumstances, or different standards?

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:25 pm

Catnip the Dwarf wrote:I thought Oshwah only blocked vandals and trolls.
That's mostly who he blocks, but there was also the infamous block of Tony1 for allegedly making "legal threats".
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

Lankai
Contributor

Unread post by Lankai » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Not sure why Oshwah blocked an already globally locked account.

Dysklyver
Cornishman
Actual Name: Arthur Kerensa
Nom de plume: Dysk

Unread post by Dysklyver » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:57 pm

Lankai wrote:Not sure why Oshwah blocked an already globally locked account.
It's common enough, it is useful if the account gets unlocked but still needs to be blocked on a specific project.
Globally banned after 7 years.

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:59 pm

The block log clearly shows that the original 72 hour block was for "Outing of personal information, article ownership, incivility, and battleground conduct at Talk:The Hideout and over the article." Presumably the actions three days later were simply to carry out the orders sent down from WMF.

Lankai
Contributor

Unread post by Lankai » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:06 pm

No Ledge wrote:
The block log clearly shows that the original 72 hour block was for "Outing of personal information, article ownership, incivility, and battleground conduct at Talk:The Hideout and over the article." Presumably the actions three days later were simply to carry out the orders sent down from WMF.
Yes but I have never seen anyone getting indeffed after the account is already globally locked.

Examples:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... ons/ktr101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... Elbasyouny

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... yharrylion

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:11 pm

Yeh, but there is a huge difference between a "normal" block and a office ban. (SanFanBan) A normal block is for one project, the decision taken by some sysop, and a office ban is approved by the director of WMF for all projects and is personal! it is absolute not the same. The Foundation has withdrawn your license to edit on any WMF project with a SanFanBan, and it is for you as a person forbidden to enter the WMF infrastructure.

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:28 pm

Lankai wrote:
No Ledge wrote:
Yes but I have never seen anyone getting indeffed after the account is already globally locked.

Examples:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... ons/ktr101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... Elbasyouny

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... yharrylion
I see. Maybe he wanted to do a little grave-dancing by making sure that her contribution history wasn't just locked, but [b]blocked[/b] and [b]locked[/b]... and loaded.

I'll assume in good faith that this was just a slightly incompetent move as was the block of Tony1.

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:34 pm

Yes, but she is also Global Banned by the foundation, and that is not the same as a Global Lock. A Global Lock is a Meta thing only for one account given by a steward, and a SanFanBan a WMF thing and personally. You as a person are not allowed to enter the WMF infrastructure anymore. Never, and there is no appeal, and with not any account or IP. It is confusing.

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:56 pm

But Ktr101 is also a Wikipedian banned by the WMF, and no admin has yet felt the need to dance on his already locked account by redundantly blocking it. Since WMF bans are "forever" (cannot be appealed) I don't see the point in blocking "just in case" one day the ban might be lifted. This inconsistent application sends the message that what Brill did was somehow "worse" than what ktr did.

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:06 pm

No Ledge wrote:But Ktr101 is also a Wikipedian banned by the WMF, and no admin has yet felt the need to dance on his already locked account by redundantly blocking it. Since WMF bans are "forever" (cannot be appealed) I don't see the point in blocking "just in case" one day the ban might be lifted. This inconsistent application sends the message that what Brill did was somehow "worse" than what ktr did.
A global Ban (SanFanBan) overrules everything, you are out. The huge problem is WMF doesn't give the reason, also not to the one got it, because that should violent someones privacy. What is of course complete bullshit. That is the problem! And of course that there no appeal possible is.

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Look, this is of course playing around with donor money, this is rediciles. This fits in North Korea, Kim Jong-un would be thrilled. And there are many of this stores about other SanFanBan winners.
My advise to Erika is report this to the authorities, tell you story to the press, there are enough to witnesses to testify for you. Kum and I for sure want to do that.

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:37 pm

No Ledge wrote:This inconsistent application sends the message that what Brill did was somehow "worse" than what ktr did.
I wonder what Ktr101 did? It seems BrillLyle's first crime in this episode may have been to write part of a sentence critical of Rahm Emanuel. I wonder whatever happened to the Daley machine...
los auberginos

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:47 pm

That doesn't matter, Bezdomni, being digital death is enough to win a SanFanBan. I think it is very hard to find any logic in WMF's ban policy.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:12 pm

Bezdomni wrote:
No Ledge wrote:This inconsistent application sends the message that what Brill did was somehow "worse" than what ktr did.
I wonder what Ktr101 did? It seems BrillLyle's first crime in this episode may have been to write part of a sentence critical of Rahm Emanuel. I wonder whatever happened to the Daley machine...
There's a thread on it here, viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7606 . He apparently did something wrong at a wikiconference and got on the wrong side of the wikimedia DC people.

BTW, there's a weeks long thread on wikimania-l, started by Romaine. He was removed as a wikimania organizer because he apparently made people uncomfortable by standing too close, speaking too loudly and touching them on the shoulder. He explained he's hard of hearing.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:44 pm

tarantino wrote:
Bezdomni wrote:
There's a thread on it here, viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7606 . He apparently did something wrong at a wikiconference and got on the wrong side of the wikimedia DC people.

BTW, there's a weeks long thread on wikimania-l, started by Romaine. He was removed as a wikimania organizer because he apparently made people uncomfortable by standing too close, speaking too loudly and touching them on the shoulder. He explained he's hard of hearing.
Yeah I just read that entire thing and the worthless trust and safety group at the WMF was taking a beating by the community, and rightly so...for being a worthless waste of donor money. It took James Alexander a couple weeks to even levy a response and it was/is less than enlightening nonsense of the "hey we're trying, our job is hard and give us a break variety".

No, you're job is not that hard James, the problem is you are incompetent at it and so are the rest of the people in the group (at doing that job anyway). Other than banning active editors ever few months what do you really do? We can see by the WMF office account there isn't that much activity. The SuSa related pages are relatively quite of staff activity, Phabricator doesn't really have much activity, so what do you even do other than chase your coffee cup around the office all day and pat each other on the back?

Now I don't know Romaine and I don't think I have ever interacted with them in a positive or negative way, but from what I read on the thread linked above, they are merely the most recent example of a good editor being railroaded out of the project because some other editor, that has kissed James Alexanders ass, has more influence so they got kicked out of the club. Everyone should be looking at this situation as the disgusting disgrace it is and demanding James Alexander's resignation, because it happens to often, to too many editors and no one is doing anything about it because the WMF, including and especially James Alexander, doesn't care.

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:14 pm

Thanks for this link, Tarantino. I appreciate it when someone plugs a little memory extension into my world. The last post didn't do that.

In other news related only by a common agonist, I notice that Oshwah has joined forces with Binksternet this week to faithfully defend the CIRT's wikipoo on Whataboutism (T-H-L)....

:offtopic:
It is very important to quote Ben Shapiro saying:
Ben Shapiro wrote: It’s all dumb. And it’s making us all dumber.

the Sagecandor source | Oshwah's revert (to the Sagecandor source)

but on the other hand, when a new Paste Magazine writer has this to say:
Jason Rhodes wrote: What we cannot do, what we should not do, is junk the search for moral truth as “moral equivalence.” The accusation of “whataboutism” is different than context-hunting: it dismisses out of hand the possibility of moral critique. It rejects the idea that moral comparison is possible. But when we speak of power, moral comparison must always be possible.

source
such a long quote, it will not do, dat Binkster-net, 'e say dat. It's an interesting question, I suppose. What constitutes expertise to talk about a fused group's sacred cows? I remember being most annoyed with Paste Magazine and a lazy takedown they printed on the Greens during the election that got a lot of mileage on Ajamu Baraka. I suppose Oshwah & Binksternet just prefer to keep it stupid. Simple.

Paste Magazine is more frequently cited on Wikipedia than the World Bank, the Vatican, the FDA, & the governments of Singapore, Israel & Taiwan. (all of these sources are in the 3800-4500 cite range)
Eds. = formatting, typos, clarity (sigh ^^)...
Last edited by Bezdomni on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
los auberginos

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:50 pm

Meh, Wikipedians usually have an easy answer to Whataboutism. Whenever the Russians ask, but what about that? simply reply, "well, what about it? WP:Other stuff exists (T-H-L)."

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:36 am

Kumioko wrote: Now I don't know Romaine and I don't think I have ever interacted with them in a positive or negative way, but from what I read on the thread linked above, they are merely the most recent example of a good editor being railroaded out of the project because some other editor, that has kissed James Alexanders ass, has more influence so they got kicked out of the club. Everyone should be looking at this situation as the disgusting disgrace it is and demanding James Alexander's resignation, because it happens to often, to too many editors and no one is doing anything about it because the WMF, including and especially James Alexander, doesn't care.
Romaine is a guy from Belgium, we had many, many problems with him on WQNL, he really hates copyright, is using between every two words the word Wikimedia, is a demagogue and a tremendous troll. My good, what can he troll. And he is one of the founders of WMBE. He is day and night playing around with bot's.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:36 am

On a related note to this thread (although a bit of a tangent) someone should invite Atsme to create an account here. It appears she is the next one on the Wikipediots radar for elimination so she will likely be banned or at least severely topic banned soon and may have a lot to talk about.

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:19 am

Kumioko wrote:On a related note to this thread (although a bit of a tangent) someone should invite Atsme to create an account here. It appears she is the next one on the Wikipediots radar for elimination so she will likely be banned or at least severely topic banned soon and may have a lot to talk about.
I really like Atsme, I do hope not... :blink:

Lankai
Contributor

Unread post by Lankai » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:25 am

Graaf Statler wrote:My advise to Erika is report this to the authorities, tell you story to the press, there are enough to witnesses to testify for you. Kum and I for sure want to do that.
That is certainly the best way to go for now. Any other efforts like socking would go waste.

BrillLyle
Regular
Wikipedia User: BrillLyle
Actual Name: Erika Herzog

Unread post by BrillLyle » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:24 pm

Dysklyver wrote:
Kumioko wrote:On a related note to this thread (although a bit of a tangent) someone should invite Atsme to create an account here. It appears she is the next one on the Wikipediots radar for elimination so she will likely be banned or at least severely topic banned soon and may have a lot to talk about.

I hope some of you will try to reach out to her and help her. No one really helped me ever. No one reached out in any constructive and informational way. It would suck if what happened to me happened to another editor. I care about that.

That was what I found so disappointing about people I got to know via Wikimedia NYC. People line Lane had a front row seat to my struggles with the toxic people who run Art+Feminism. I remember Lane laughing when I asked him what the deal was. He KNEW. He found it really amusing. He laughed. I was so mad. I told him I couldn’t believe he knew and didn’t have the decency to warn me before doing SO MUCH WORK Free digital labor for them. The editors in WM NYC have the knowledge. They have All mostly been editing for years and years. They couldn’t be bothered to help me not avoid mistakes. Bunch of assholes, even the ones I have regard for. Because it was a sideshow theater experience for them. They saw things happening and couldn’t be bothered.

That’s why I appreciate it here. It’s own tucked up place but the information and hopefully cautionary tales are here.

So please help others. Because it impacts a lot of us v personally. And it’s not ethical. Not right. If you know to withhold information and watch others replicate bad problems like this.

/ rant

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:29 pm

Lankai wrote:
Graaf Statler wrote:My advise to Erika is report this to the authorities, tell you story to the press, there are enough to witnesses to testify for you. Kum and I for sure want to do that.
That is certainly the best way to go for now. Any other efforts like socking would go waste.

I think indeed that would be the best way, because this is of course also a huge insult of all the good faith users of WPEN. because really, I complete agree with Kingsindain, the English and the German wikipedias are absolute valuable. Not the good faith Wikipedians are screwing complete wikipedia, the WMF/wikimedia free loaders does. Just like the WMNL free loaders screwed complete WPNL, and that must come to a end.
Erika was a good faith editor, but because she got trouble with a few guys from the NY chapter they trolled here out. With the help of WMF, it was not about here work on Wikipedia, here work was perfect.
Wikipedia is not the goal anymore, but the chapters and WMF and in that way Wikipedia gets destroyed, and I really, really hope Erika does what we advised here.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:17 am

Dysklyver wrote:
Atsme has a blind spot when it comes to certain topics. They also routinely misrepresent policies when it supports their viewpoint. Sometimes in multiple directions at different times. It wasn't surprising they were handed a topic ban. The only odd thing was it took so long.

LynnWysong
Banned

Unread post by LynnWysong » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:31 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
There are all sorts of ways to channel Wikipedian energy outside of the WMF's purview.

RfB
Just had my article published, after six years of rejections. Wikipedia sharpened my focus, but, it is a means to an end. Move on.

https://heritage.utah.gov/history/uhq-current-issue

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:33 am

LynnWysong wrote:Just had my article published, after six years of rejections...
Cool, congratulations! (Sorry about the whole six-years thing, though.)

:applause:

LynnWysong
Banned

Unread post by LynnWysong » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:05 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
LynnWysong wrote:Just had my article published, after six years of rejections...
Cool, congratulations! (Sorry about the whole six-years thing, though.)

:applause:
Thanks! (And the six years sounds worse than it was. There was some long periods of inactivity in it. But still, the article at the end of the six years was MUCH better than the first one I submitted.)

MysteriousStranger
Critic
Wikipedia User: Muhahaha...I'll never tell!

Unread post by MysteriousStranger » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Congrats, Lynn!

To Erika: I am with those who say you should spread your story as far and wide as you can. Let them know that just because you can't edit anymore doesn't mean you'll kowtow to them.

MysteriousStranger
Critic

Unread post by MysteriousStranger » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:01 pm

Also, Erika, do you care if I create a bunch of accounts to bug the big shots about how you don't deserve your ban? They'll run CU and realize it isn't you and be confused. I won't do it unless and until you say it's okay, though.

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:09 pm

MysteriousStranger wrote:Also, Erika, do you care if I create a bunch of accounts to bug the big shots about how you don't deserve your ban? They'll run CU and realize it isn't you and be confused. I won't do it unless and until you say it's okay, though.
Hmm, a mysterious personage. Can I convince you to play Wikipedia 2, recently released on all major platforms?

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:57 pm

MysteriousStranger wrote:Also, Erika, do you care if I create a bunch of accounts to bug the big shots about how you don't deserve your ban? They'll run CU and realize it isn't you and be confused. I won't do it unless and until you say it's okay, though.
They'll just assume that Erika has managed to acquire a new IP, which isn't exactly that hard.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

BrillLyle
Regular

Unread post by BrillLyle » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:20 am

Go for it. The yutzes deserve a bit of torture and annoyance. It’s not going to be me so I’m fine with it. :-)

BrillLyle
Regular

Unread post by BrillLyle » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:29 pm

I want to apologize for all the typos. My 2011 era MacBook Pro refuses to turn on (is it the cord? Is it the CPU? Is it karma being a bitch? Unclear) so until I bring it into the shop I’m using my iPhone to read and post. And flipping autocorrect is not helping matters. So please forgive my slightly drunken seeming posts recently. Haven’t hit the bottle. Yet.

Not sure if I mentioned this but I was yet again talking to a reporter about Wikipedia. Ironically we were texting while I got my three-day ban. Then when I got the WMF global unappealable ban. She’s a noob to the world of Wiki but she’s credentialed and I was glad to have someone there while this was happening who was truly shocked. BTW I did explain why I was problematic. I did not misrepresent myself in any way shape or form.

But it was weird timing. Her story pitch didn’t get approved but I was glad to yet again explain the basic nuances of how Wikipedia works. And the various problems. We also discussed bias and how the 15-20% Women editors is so problematic. And the toxic editing community as well as insane governance issues.

I am also possibly doing a workshop at a news organization that a reporter referred me to. I can’t edit myself but this was set up before the ban, so I’m going to skillshare and hopefully they can learn the basic tenets of Wikipedia. And see my cautionary tale of what not to do.

I find myself still using Wikipedia regularly. It’s rough because I see so many mistakes and badly formatted or incomplete citations. I was listening to a few new to me musicians and wanted to check to see if they had Wiki pages and see what shape the more notable ones were, but refrained. That was a bit painful. I’m sure watching great TV shows will also be problematic, as I would improve up and coming and notable to me actor Wikipedia pages that were bareboned or a bit derelict. No more now.

Ironically (again) the family genealogy work I had been working on has come back to life so I am going to restart that. I have a NAS (network attached storage) so I could run a Wiki on there for the family tree maybe. Not the same but I have been needing to organize all the data and scans for a while. And have stuff to scan and incorporate in our tree. It’s good timing.

I used to weave as well. I may take that up again. It was nice to do something so not computer-y. It’s mechanical and very soothing, the warp and the weft.

I am so glad I have never had just one interest. If Wikipedia was all I was interested in I would be in bigger trouble. It was what brought all of it together, all my interests. And was highly impactful. But it’s not the sum of my interests thankfully.

And they didn’t deserve me. My hard work. So suck it Wiki (She says with a sob).

- Erika

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:29 pm

BrillLyle wrote:...And they didn’t deserve me. My hard work. So suck it Wiki (She says with a sob).

- Erika
Here! Here! I know how ya feel. Like I said before, you're always welcome over at Military wiki. Lots of women articles needing improvement/creation if your interested.

BrillLyle
Regular

Unread post by BrillLyle » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:00 pm

Kumioko wrote:
BrillLyle wrote:...And they didn’t deserve me. My hard work. So suck it Wiki (She says with a sob).

- Erika
Here! Here! I know how ya feel. Like I said before, you're always welcome over at Military wiki. Lots of women articles needing improvement/creation if your interested.
Thanks Kumioko. Sorry I didn’t respond earlier.

I need a break I think right now. Not sure I can handle any online community where there’s content creation rn.

I just spent an hour on the phone with another reporter. Suck it WMF. You reap what you sow.

I’m only telling my perspective on what I’ve experienced. It’s not like I’m not being transparent and upfront about my actions. But it’s on them and the local chapter to account for their actions. Is this a free culture, open data community? Or a badly managed nonprofit fixated on donations while enabling a toxic community full of incompetents and mentally ill “volunteers”?

They did themselves no favors. I know where the bodies are all buried. Or you folks do.

Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman:
You work on commission, don’t you? (Waving bags) Big Mistake! Big Mistake!

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:17 pm

BrillLyle wrote: I just spent an hour on the phone with another reporter. Suck it WMF. You reap what you sow.
I am sorry for you, but I am glad a Wikipediaen with a very good reputation is SanFanBaned this time. A hard worker, good editor, formal secretary of the NY chapter, a FAIR feminist, gender lady, not just some man hater. Kum, me and others, they are always make us to a troll, with blocks, arbcom decisions, smear in general. Our reputation is destroyed, so a SanFanBan looks fair. And don't dig to deep in your family history, because it will be a very sad one....

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:22 pm

BrillLyle wrote:
Kumioko wrote:

- Erika
Thanks Kumioko. Sorry I didn’t respond earlier.

I need a break I think right now. Not sure I can handle any online community where there’s content creation rn.

I just spent an hour on the phone with another reporter. Suck it WMF. You reap what you sow.

I’m only telling my perspective on what I’ve experienced. It’s not like I’m not being transparent and upfront about my actions. But it’s on them and the local chapter to account for their actions. Is this a free culture, open data community? Or a badly managed nonprofit fixated on donations while enabling a toxic community full of incompetents and mentally ill “volunteers”?

They did themselves no favors. I know where the bodies are all buried. Or you folks do.

Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman:
You work on commission, don’t you? (Waving bags) Big Mistake! Big Mistake!
Frankly, your perspective is all that matters at this point. If the WMF wanted to discuss it, they would have talked to you about the ban prior (which also, yet again, shows James Alexander to be a liar when he says they discuss them with people before hand) so now they can read about it in whatever article is published just like all the editors, admins, readers and donors. My hope is that portays the WMF, and rightfully so, in a negative light.

For what it's worth, I don't really think you did anything wrong. Being blunt or even abrasive isn't a crime and a lot of editors on Wikipedia are far worse than you ever were. I wouldn't even agree a lengthy block is justified let alone a WMF ban. To give you a WMF ban, frankly, is not only absurd, it completely invalidates the whole WMF ban process and again brings into question James Alexander's competency in how he doles them out semi willy-nilly.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:51 am

Moderator's note: Several off-topic posts, mostly about genealogy, were split from this thread into this other one, which (if I'm not mistaken) can only be viewed by registered members. We apologize for any inconvenience.

MadManz
Gregarious

Unread post by MadManz » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:30 am

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:49 am

MadManz wrote:She did nothing wrong (T-C-L)
It would seem you were not the only one? https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =854799574

BrillLyle
Regular

Unread post by BrillLyle » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:06 pm

So it looks like Oshwah wasn’t involved in the WMF block.

“Ritchie333 - I try to do the same (as you know) - I try to educate and help editors to learn and grow from blocks, but BrillLyle's global block isn't something I have details about. Sorry :-/ ~Oshwah~(talk) (contribs) 05:17, 13 August 2018 (UTC)”

So this had to be done by James Alexander with the knowledge of Katherine Maher.

Maybe flagged from the ANI?

It probably isn’t that complicated. They just wanted me gone. It just seems like my infractions were not the hill to die on, did not warrant this type of high level ban. When I couldn’t defend myself because I was on a 3-day ban.

I’m sure the SuSA perspective is that it’s a privilege heh! to edit and I annoyed them so much I lost that privilege.

I’m also positive posting here did not help. It weaponized things. So for any current editors who want to continue to edit and stay editors, FYI.

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:13 pm

BrillLyle wrote: So this had to be done by James Alexander with the knowledge of Katherine Maher.
I don't write down what thoughts, but I had my thoughts from the first moment you was SanFanBanned..........

MysteriousStranger
Critic

Unread post by MysteriousStranger » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:37 pm

That was me, and I'm not planning to go away.

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:07 pm

MysteriousStranger wrote:
That was me, and I'm not planning to go away.
Not sure what's worse, your message or the other message left at a similar time:
Can I make my userpage in my sandbox? Thegooduser (T-C-L) Let's Chat (canada emoji) 21:57, 13 August 2018 (UTC)
Uhh...

(Thegooduser has over 2000 edits btw)

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:08 pm

BrillLyle wrote:from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Oshwah

So it looks like Oshwah wasn’t involved in the WMF block.

“Ritchie333 - I try to do the same (as you know) - I try to educate and help editors to learn and grow from blocks, but BrillLyle's global block isn't something I have details about. Sorry :-/ ~Oshwah~(talk) (contribs) 05:17, 13 August 2018 (UTC)”

So this had to be done by James Alexander with the knowledge of Katherine Maher.

Maybe flagged from the ANI?

It probably isn’t that complicated. They just wanted me gone. It just seems like my infractions were not the hill to die on, did not warrant this type of high level ban. When I couldn’t defend myself because I was on a 3-day ban.

I’m sure the SuSA perspective is that it’s a privilege heh! to edit and I annoyed them so much I lost that privilege.

I’m also positive posting here did not help. It weaponized things. So for any current editors who want to continue to edit and stay editors, FYI.
So from what I know about this process, James takes full responsibility for the bans and anyone else at the WMF is just a cursory review/notification. If he submits one, it's implemented and they have never told him no and from what I have heard, they don't ask him why either. They just nod and thank him for letting them know.

The other problem with this process is that the people who are implementing them are the same people reviewing the appeals/emails requesting information. When they get an email, they just ignore it. They do not reply, respond, acknowledge it or take any action whatsoever. It's a black hole.

MysteriousStranger
Critic

Unread post by MysteriousStranger » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:03 pm