Monkey selfie & Commons

Kumioko
Muted
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Re: Monkey selfie & Commons

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed May 09, 2018 11:53 pm

Lol, thanks Poetlister, I was trying to find that when I posted but couldn't locate it.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:29 pm

Jimbo sure changes his mind a lot
I think we get the balance right. Fair use is important, and we both should and do rely on it in relevant cases. A canonical example would be the Pulitzer Prize winning photo we show in Elián González.

But encouraging more use of fair use opens the door to a lot of nonsense, and closes the door to a strong incentive for people to create freely licensed content.

I strongly support Wikipedia:NFCCP.

But this is the sort of discussion that might be more informative all around if we were discussing specific examples.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 07:25, 18 June 2021 (UTC)
You mean like the Monkey Selfie and the absolute asshat you were in that debacle?

You're a dickhole, Jimmy.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:54 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:29 pm
Jimbo sure changes his mind a lot
I think we get the balance right. Fair use is important, and we both should and do rely on it in relevant cases. A canonical example would be the Pulitzer Prize winning photo we show in Elián González.

But encouraging more use of fair use opens the door to a lot of nonsense, and closes the door to a strong incentive for people to create freely licensed content.

I strongly support Wikipedia:NFCCP.

But this is the sort of discussion that might be more informative all around if we were discussing specific examples.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 07:25, 18 June 2021 (UTC)
You mean like the Monkey Selfie and the absolute asshat you were in that debacle?

You're a dickhole, Jimmy.
The monkey selfie dispute was a needlessly dickish act to do to a struggling freelance photographer, I think that NYBrad's comment that the WMF's conduct was " appalling -- if not on a purely legal level, then certainly as a matter of fairness and decency" to be spot on, though PETA's decision to sue him which left him broke was obviously much worse.
Last edited by Hemiauchenia on Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:04 am

Andrew Orlowski wrote:The US Copyright Office later confirmed that the monkey could not own the copyright – just as machines and spirits cannot – as a modicum of creativity and intent was required.
Google says they hold copyright to this man flying the bird because they are a legal person that can afford to pay skilly drivers to drive by our creative gestures & œuvres with their pricey glass... whereas no freedom of panorama for commercial use is allowed in France, œuf corse.

I claim fair rights use to show that there is resistance to our droning overlords within the images themselves.

And as for bathhouse spirits not owning their own images, that's a rather bold statement I hope that office clerk shall never have cause to regret.
los auberginos

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:48 am

I was amused by the monkey selfie, because I Iike monkeys .. like a lot.. also I think a lot of "wild animal photographers" are full of shit. That comes from living near a place where bald eagles used to gather in large numbers only because a well-meaning person named Jean Keene (T-H-L) wanted them to. (she was a very sweet woman who was totally sincere in what she was doing, I just happen to disagree)

All that being said, the over-the-top reposting of it was a bit much, and really not a good look.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:30 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:48 am
I Iike monkeys
A bit of 1994 nostalgia
https://monkey.org/jape/monkeystory.html

el84
Gregarious
Actual Name: Andy E

Unread post by el84 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:20 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:30 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:48 am
I Iike monkeys
A bit of 1994 nostalgia
https://monkey.org/jape/monkeystory.html
Also in Clickbate youtube form: https://youtu.be/ckQw50MTeTY?t=364

(no idea how to embed that at the listed time)

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:00 pm

:banana: fun fact: this is one of the few music videos to have actually been recorded with videotape: :banana:
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom