Commons bans the overwriting of files for non-autopatrolled users

ltbdl
Critic
kołdry
Wikipedia User: ltbdl

Commons bans the overwriting of files for non-autopatrolled users

Unread post by ltbdl » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:00 am

Last edited by ltbdl on Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
if you are reading this then you maybe are suffering maybe paranoia perhaps (or not)...

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Re: Commons bans the overwriting of files for non-autopatrolled users

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:20 am

This seems like a very drastic change for something which has about 15 votes total. As remarked in that thread, how does this effect the crop tool? I suspect we will see many more image forks to get around this.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:26 am

lol, this decision is rife with unanticipated side effects.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:33 am

Say, what happens if I decide to overwrite one of my submitted images?

:banana:

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:00 am

Zoloft wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:33 am
Say, what happens if I decide to overwrite one of my submitted images?

:banana:
I'll test it later, but based on that announcement this does not require special rights...
The abuse filters to prevent users from overwriting files they did not originally uploaded (sic) are now active. Users who want to overwrite files uploaded by other users now need to request ether autopatrol rights or they can request an exception for a particular file.
original proposal wrote:Users without autopatrol rights should remain to be able to overwrite their own files.
Hemiauchenia wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:20 am
how does this effect the crop tool?
A crop should not overwrite an image but be a separate file. (There may well be cases where it is desirable to overwrite the image, but as a general rule, a crop is a modification for which the cropper should take responsibility.) The obsessive focus on objects to the exclusion of their environment sometimes leads (presumably) well-meaning croppers to leave much of the aesthetic value of a photo on the cutting room floor.
los auberginos

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:47 pm

I'm sure there's a lot of maps/charts and the like that are regularly updated that will be broken by this. For example Democracy claims.svg has been used and edited since 2009, while its creator has not edited since 2012.
Always improving...

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:07 pm

Bezdomni wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:00 am
A crop should not overwrite an image but be a separate file. (There may well be cases where it is desirable to overwrite the image, but as a general rule, a crop is a modification for which the cropper should take responsibility.) The obsessive focus on objects to the exclusion of their environment sometimes leads (presumably) well-meaning croppers to leave much of the aesthetic value of a photo on the cutting room floor.
I mean, it depends, take a file I recently cropped https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... cado_2.jpg for example, there's no
good reason for this image to have a dropshadow, so simply uploading the crop as an updated version of the image is clearly the most reasonable course of action.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:19 pm

This is actually a very sensible change and how the system should have worked in the first place. You can replace files you have uploaded, but you can't replace files other people have uploaded. There will be cases (like the frequently updated maps examples) where this could be a hassle, but I very much suspect that forcing users to request help updating will actually be a good thing for some of those files.

This will have a knock-on effect of reducing the kind of vandalism where someone replaces a heavily-used file with a picture of Jimmy Wales eating a hotdog.*

*Just a hypothetical. I am not aware of any instances of this happening with a picture of Jimmy Wales eating a hotdog.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:48 pm

Yeah process-wise this is one of the options they should have gone with in the beginning.

I wouldnt go so far as to say unintended consequences, its not that difficult, even for commons editors, to see the consequences here. I cant think of any of the disbenefits that outweight the benefits though. And thats even if you consider some of them (like above, crops replacing existing picture) are arguably not a disbenefit in the first place. (FWIW, the process where I am is you rename the original, then upload the crop with the same name.)

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:33 pm

I suspect most even semi-active Commons users will probably not even notice anything different. Pretty sure I got that user right without even asking for it.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:15 pm

Looks like it was given to you by a globally banned user. :evilgrin:
los auberginos

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:58 pm

It would be nice, however, if they did something about the proliferation of different versions of the same images, especially photos of paintings.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:39 pm

Bezdomni wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:15 pm
Looks like it was given to you by a globally banned user. :evilgrin:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:INeverCry

It's a trifecta, blocked locally for socking, global banned by the community, and banned by the office.

And yet, back then they were very active on commons and I remember them being quite helpful with getting garbage that was only uploaded to spam en-wp deleted there. People are weird.

owl be it
Regular
Actual Name: 12345
Nom de plume: 4

Unread post by owl be it » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:05 am

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... =822254366

Looks like there are now a twentynine requests for autopatrol open right now, compared to a whopping two prior to this announcement. A well-thought-out plan saving time and effort, definitely not just creating worthless mountains of bureaucratic crap :facepalm:
The artist formerly known as Yeet Bae...

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:28 am

owl be it wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:05 am
worthless mountains of bureaucratic crap
There's no such thing.

"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:25 pm

owl be it wrote:

Looks like there are now a twentynine requests for autopatrol open right now, compared to a whopping two prior to this announcement. A well-thought-out plan saving time and effort, definitely not just creating worthless mountains of bureaucratic crap :facepalm:
That was to be expected. When the configuration got changed there was going to be a surge of people asking for the necessary permissions. Once they get it, they won't need to ask again.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:34 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:25 pm
owl be it wrote:

That was to be expected. When the configuration got changed there was going to be a surge of people asking for the necessary permissions. Once they get it, they won't need to ask again.
Not to mention the benefit of having an audit of the edits from those editors who are making those types of changes. Which commons actually appears to be doing in those requests. Dont see a down side here.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:07 pm

WP:PERM (T-H-L) is reguarly backlogged as well, as in most cases each request requires at least a few minutes of reviewing the users recent activity, and not every admin wants to or has the time to do that. I started contributing there years ago, becasuse I thought it would be a little "feel good" task, where you are helping others get access to tools they need, as opposed to deleting their work or blocking them. And mostly it is that, but you also do get hat collectors and people who clearly don't even know what it is they are requesting.

Anyhoo, I agree this is probably not going to be an ongoing issue and that a initial surge should have been expected.