CFdJ - Clusterfucque du jour

rnu
Habitué
kołdry

Re: CFdJ - Clusterfucque du jour

Unread post by rnu » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:36 pm

Jester wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:24 pm
Anyone able to find a source for the claim that Bittersweet Goodbye samples a sped-up version of Andrew Oldham Symphony's Bitter Sweet Symphony besides the blog by David Simkins (T-H-L)? I question whether that's an RS, let alone a source for a statement on the main page.
The bbc says the sample is from the The Verve version:
But one of summer's biggest songs based around a sample is Issey Cross's Bittersweet Goodbye, which entered the charts last week at number 31.
The dance track uses the hook from 1997 hit Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve, a track which, ironically, sampled Rolling Stones hit The Last Time.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:56 pm

DYK ...
... that the Grave with the Hands (T-H-L) (pictured) commemorates a married couple, divided by society and religion, with hands clasped over a cemetery wall after death?
From the article:
There is a semi-circular wrought-iron fence around the base of each.
The "semi-circular" wrought-iron fence on the man's side:
Anyone have a rectangular facepalm emoji?

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:59 am

DYK ...
... that just seven years after being elected to a local school board, Nancy Ross (T-H-L) was a candidate for Vice President of the United States?
And of course, this being Wikipedia and an article on a chick, the article lacks the most basic information, e.g. that the ticket she ran on was on the ballot in 33 states and received 46,809 votes. For that you have to go to the dude's article.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:15 pm

Today’s Dead o’ the Day features Antonette Mendes (T-H-L), whose article epitomizes the confluence of Babu and Fyne Wrytyng.

Enjoy.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:50 pm

DYK ...
... that Marcelino Gutiérrez (T-H-L) was the only surviving brother who led the Gutiérrez Brothers' rebellion against Manuel Pardo, the elected president of Peru?
Surviving what? I guess surviving infancy? That seems to be the usual meaning when there us no further qualification. So why was it called "Gutiérrez Brothers' rebellion" if only one of them survived into adulthood and then led the rebellion?
Because the hook is nonsense. Marcelino Gutiérrez was the only brother surviving the rebellion. Which, by the way, he did not lead:
Gutiérrez, who was in command of Battalion "Ayacucho" No. 4 (formerly Column "Paucarpata" No. 2),[2] stationed at Santa Catalina barracks, had a very minor role in the coup d'état headed by his three brothers.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:57 pm

rnu wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:53 pm
OTD
February 16: Day of the Shining Star (T-H-L) in North Korea
"Dear Leader, happy birthday from Wikipedia!"
Looking forward to April 20 (T-H-L), can't wait to see what the Main Page has planned for the Führergeburtstag celebrations.
:facepalm:
OTD
April 15: Day of the Sun (T-H-L) in North Korea
"Dear other leader, happy birthday from Wikipedia!"
Ooooh, only five more days to Führergeburtstag!!! I can't wait to see what the Main Page crowd has planned!

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:20 am

DYK ...
... that a "pedophilic" relationship between two fictional adults led to an era of ship wars?
Did you know that a relationship between adults (whether real or fictional) can by definition not be "pedophilic" and that this "era of ship wars" is not an era, has nothing to do with ships and involves no wars?
BTW, what the source "supporting" the hook has to say about this "pedophilic relationship":
In case of the Voltron fandom, the polemic may seem absurd, given that the ship denounced as pedophilic consisted of two adult men, and perhaps that is the reason why the controversy has become so well-known and well-researched.

PirateFood

Unread post by PirateFood » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:18 am

rnu, why don't you contribute to the DYK process and step in when you see problematic hooks? It can't be harder than posting about them here.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:02 am

PirateFood wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:18 am
rnu, why don't you contribute to the DYK process and step in when you see problematic hooks? It can't be harder than posting about them here.
Well... putting aside our current problems with page-load times, I suspect it would actually be a lot harder.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:49 am

PirateFood wrote:
Doing so was a major reason for all the hate against Fram.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:05 pm

PirateFood wrote:
That's a fair question. The reason is that I no longer edit Wikipedia and have no intention of ever returning. Wikipedia is the most unwelcoming platform I have ever been on. I tried helping on Wikipedia and it was made very clear that that was not welcome. I am willing to put up with uncivil editors, I am not willing to put up with abusive admins acting in obvious bad faith. So I've stopped trying to help and switched to mocking and exposing. And you know what, I feel very welcome here.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:15 pm

rnu wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:05 pm
PirateFood wrote:
That's a fair question. The reason is that I no longer edit Wikipedia and have no intention of ever returning. Wikipedia is the most unwelcoming platform I have ever been on. I tried helping on Wikipedia and it was made very clear that that was not welcome. I am willing to put up with uncivil editors, I am not willing to put up with abusive admins acting in obvious bad faith. So I've stopped trying to help and switched to mocking and exposing. And you know what, I feel very welcome here.
I'd hope you'd feel welcome both places. Mocking is fun and exposing is useful, but unless shit gets fixed nothing changes.

t

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:01 pm

rnu wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:20 am
DYK ...
... that a "pedophilic" relationship between two fictional adults led to an era of ship wars?
Did you know that a relationship between adults (whether real or fictional) can by definition not be "pedophilic" and that this "era of ship wars" is not an era, has nothing to do with ships and involves no wars?
BTW, what the source "supporting" the hook has to say about this "pedophilic relationship":
In case of the Voltron fandom, the polemic may seem absurd, given that the ship denounced as pedophilic consisted of two adult men, and perhaps that is the reason why the controversy has become so well-known and well-researched.
Both "sides" in this debate seem insufferably self-important.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:35 pm

Today’s Disgrace o’ the day asks “Do You Kare about Censorship by copyright (T-H-L)?”

What a miserable little polemic coatrack of a POV fork.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:13 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:35 pm
Today’s Disgrace o’ the day asks “Do You Kare about Censorship by copyright (T-H-L)?”

That's actually an interesting topic. For example Bavaria de facto censored Hitler's Mein Kampf for 70 years in Germany (and some other countries) using their (legally dubious) claim to the copyright. Of course that's not the kind of censorship the article writer cares about.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:26 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:35 pm

Consequentially, automated copyright detection systems built for and used by online video hosting services like Google's Content ID have been used by governments, companies and individuals to block critical reporting.[6][12][11][24][15][25][26][27][28][29]
Does the truthiness of a sentence increase with the number of references?

Dan of La Mancha
Critic
Wikipedia User: Sojourner in the earth

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:45 pm

PirateFood wrote:
I'm not going to ask who you are on-wiki, but have you ever tried what you're suggesting? That is, have you ever found an obvious error in an upcoming hook, calmly and courteously pointed it out at WP:ERRORS, or WT:DYK, or at the nomination page, and actually succeeded in convincing anyone to do anything about it?

I used to believe that DYK could be something good, and spent a lot of time flagging up problematic hooks. I'd say that maybe 2 times out of 10, the problem was fixed without any further hassle. 5 times out of 10, I was totally ignored. The other 3 times, I'd get extremely aggressive pushback – sanctioned and supported by the DYK regulars – which sometimes resulted in a hook change, sometimes didn't, but always resulted in real-world stress for me. I decided I didn't need that in my life.

That's why I ask if you've tried it yourself. It's easy to tell people what they ought to do – but there's a reason many of us prefer to discuss things over here, rather than over there.
One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel
And the next it's rolling over me...

PirateFood

Unread post by PirateFood » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:39 pm

Dan of La Mancha wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:45 pm
PirateFood wrote:
I'm not going to ask who you are on-wiki, but have you ever tried what you're suggesting? That is, have you ever found an obvious error in an upcoming hook, calmly and courteously pointed it out at WP:ERRORS, or WT:DYK, or at the nomination page, and actually succeeded in convincing anyone to do anything about it?

I used to believe that DYK could be something good, and spent a lot of time flagging up problematic hooks. I'd say that maybe 2 times out of 10, the problem was fixed without any further hassle. 5 times out of 10, I was totally ignored. The other 3 times, I'd get extremely aggressive pushback – sanctioned and supported by the DYK regulars – which sometimes resulted in a hook change, sometimes didn't, but always resulted in real-world stress for me. I decided I didn't need that in my life.

That's why I ask if you've tried it yourself. It's easy to tell people what they ought to do – but there's a reason many of us prefer to discuss things over here, rather than over there.
I have! I've even done it for the hooks of editors with whom I've had issues in the past, on contentious topics. It has not been difficult for me, and considering the triviality of a lot of the issues raised on this thread, I bet a lot of these changes could be made without discussion. I sometimes edit prospective hooks in minor ways without initiating discussion; it's never even been reverted.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:10 am

PirateFood wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:39 pm
Dan of La Mancha wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:45 pm
PirateFood wrote:

I have! I've even done it for the hooks of editors with whom I've had issues in the past, on contentious topics. It has not been difficult for me, and considering the triviality of a lot of the issues raised on this thread, I bet a lot of these changes could be made without discussion. I sometimes edit prospective hooks in minor ways without initiating discussion; it's never even been reverted.
If DYK wants to copy off our pages, they can. If they want to improve their process, they can, and this topic will soon sputter to a stop. It is also much funnier to point and laugh here than to deal with Wikipedians on Wikipedia.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:34 pm

The only way to make DYK work well is to appoint some hard-nosed assholes to review everything and take the "job" away from the submitters, who after all are mainly interested in getting their own hooks on the front page. Every annoying requirement in the process represents some failure of reviewers to do a decent job of it.

Dan of La Mancha
Critic

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:23 pm

PirateFood wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:39 pm
In that case, I'd like to ask whether you're a DYK regular, as in someone who nominates and reviews hooks, or whether you just audit the hooks as they come through. It's my impression that DYK is much more hostile towards perceived outsiders than to those who belong to the club.

If you are a DYK outsider, I'd love to know how you manage to get through to them.

Dan of La Mancha
Critic

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:41 pm

On your other point, it's true that some of the errors pointed out here are trivial, but they're symptomatic of DYK's big problem, which is that its participants care more about pushing hooks through the system than they do about accuracy, neutrality, and avoiding harm to living people. Usually, the only consequence of this is that the Main Page continues to be a laughing stock; but every once in a while, a hook comes along which has the potential to do serious real-world damage. When that happens – in the rare event that it's discussed on-wiki at all – the Main Pagers try to pass it off as a one-time lapse of judgement, an unfortunate and unforeseeable event. Pointing out all the other bad hooks here gives the lie to that excuse, and shows DYK to be rotten to the core.

That's why I do it, anyway.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:58 pm

Dan of La Mancha wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:41 pm
[...]
Pointing out all the other bad hooks here gives the lie to that excuse, and shows DYK to be rotten to the core.

That's why I do it, anyway.
Pointing out some of the other bad hooks. I'm sure there are many more than get listed here.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:23 pm

DYK ...
... that food critic Grace Dent reviewed a Liverpool restaurant that served her rice pudding flavoured with a substance that is banned in the United States for its lethality?
They tried to poison a food critic???
:scream:
What had she said about them???
The "substance" in question are tonka beans (T-H-L).
What does the source have to say about this deadly poison?
The rice was flavoured with tonka bean, an ugly-looking, raisin-like lump that enhances all food with a vanilla-y, liquoricey, caramelly and clove-esque aroma. Sure, it has been banned in the US since 1954 because large quantities of it can kill you and, yes, two 5g teaspoons of the stuff can reportedly see off a sheep, but, look, we’re all going to die some time.
You may be shocked to learn that using small doses is perfectly legal in several countries. Which makes sense given that
Dipteryx_odorata#Uses wrote: the regulations are criticized as unreasonable due to the unlikelihood of consuming enough coumarin to cause ill effects and due to the presence of coumarin in unregulated foods.[11] Coumarin is also present in lavender, cinnamon, licorice, strawberries and cherries.[13]

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:30 pm

DYK ...
... that Dahiru Musdapher (T-H-L), the 12th chief justice of Nigeria, was once a BBC World Service contributor for West Africa and Hausa?
For "West Africa and Hausa"? So for a region and a language?
I can't access the source. So I am gonna venture a wild guess, and assume that he was a contributor to BBC World Service (T-H-L) on West African topics and a contributor on BBC Hausa (T-H-L).
Well at least the person who "improved" the article to GA status double checked whether the guy was Attorney General of Chief Justice during the DYK nomination.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:33 pm

After the Main Page crowd wished Kim Jong Il and Kim Il Sung a happy birthday and commemorated the brave men of the Waffen SS I was really looking forward to Führergeburtstag. And now? Nothing. Not a single mention of dear old Dolferl on his 135th birthday on the Main Page.
If anyone from the Main Page crowd is reading this: I am not angry, just disappointed. :crying:

Yngvadottir
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Yngvadottir

Unread post by Yngvadottir » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:24 pm

rnu wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:33 pm
After the Main Page crowd wished Kim Jong Il and Kim Il Sung a happy birthday and commemorated the brave men of the Waffen SS I was really looking forward to Führergeburtstag. And now? Nothing. Not a single mention of dear old Dolferl on his 135th birthday on the Main Page.
If anyone from the Main Page crowd is reading this: I am not angry, just disappointed. :crying:
420 (cannabis culture) (T-H-L) is useful for avoiding the 20 April problem :evilgrin:

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:31 pm

Yngvadottir wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:24 pm
rnu wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:33 pm
420 (cannabis culture) (T-H-L) is useful for avoiding the 20 April problem :evilgrin:
Well the German government did just legalize cannabis.

Yngvadottir
Contributor

Unread post by Yngvadottir » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:52 pm

rnu wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:31 pm
Well the German government did just legalize cannabis.
Since it was an April 1 article and I don't entirely trust CNN, verified at AP. Good to know :-)

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:49 am

rnu wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:12 am
DYK ...
... that the 1993 Pacific hurricane season generated more than double the average number of major hurricanes, which have sustained winds of at least 111 mph (179 km/h)?
This is not an article. This is a medical symptom.
In case any medical professionals are on this case, there's a new symptom:

DYK ...
... that the 1994 Pacific hurricane season was the first to produce three hurricanes that attained Category 5 intensity, the highest rating on the Saffir–Simpson scale?

Dan of La Mancha
Critic

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:35 pm

rnu wrote:
DYK ...
... that the 1993 Pacific hurricane season generated more than double the average number of major hurricanes, which have sustained winds of at least 111 mph (179 km/h)?
Actually, it's now a Featured medical symptom, with the 1994 article soon to follow.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:43 pm

Dan of La Mancha wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:35 pm
rnu wrote:
DYK ...
Actually, it's now a Featured medical symptom, with the 1994 article soon to follow.
Does that mean that it will be presented at a psychiatry conference?

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:33 pm

DYK ...
... that Shohei Ohtani married "a normal Japanese woman" (pictured) who used to play professional basketball?
You may be tempted to think the DYK article is about Shohei Ohtani (T-H-L). Nope, it is about Mamiko Tanaka (T-H-L) aka "a normal Japanese woman". No need to mention her name in the hook. It's not like anyone cares about her (her name is used in the image caption). She is a former professional basketball player. Her article only exists because of her marriage. It started out as a redirect to the "personal life" section of her husband's article the day he announced her name. It took another two weeks for someone to start a draft. But I digress, I mean who cares about a chick who played basketball in Japan when there's a dude playing baseball in the US you can talk about instead? The DYK crowd certainly doesn't.

Dan of La Mancha
Critic

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:48 pm

... that the celebrity doctor Nandipha Magudumana (T-H-L) was imprisoned and investigated for twelve crimes, including murder connected to a fugitive's prison escape?
Given the existence of this lengthy discussion about whether DYK should be allowed to say anything negative about Andrew Tate (T-H-L), I was surprised disappointed to see an extremely negative hook about a South African woman shoved onto the Main Page without a second thought.

And I do mean without a second thought, because the hook fact isn't present in the article. I almost couldn't believe this, so I read it over several times, and yeah, it's just not there. There's absolutely nothing about twelve crimes – the lead (unsourced) says "several," and the infobox (unsourced) lists five – and murder is only mentioned in the lead, unsourced. The information hasn't been recently removed or anything. It was never there. This hook was supposedly checked over by three editors (Storye book (T-C-L), PrimalMustelid (T-C-L) and Amakuru (T-C-L)) and apparently not one of them spotted this.

The article itself has BLPCRIME problems; I can't find any evidence that Magudumana has been convicted of the crimes that she's accused of in the infobox.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:49 pm

Dan of La Mancha wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:48 pm
... that the celebrity doctor Nandipha Magudumana (T-H-L) was imprisoned and investigated for twelve crimes, including murder connected to a fugitive's prison escape?
Given the existence of this lengthy discussion about whether DYK should be allowed to say anything negative about Andrew Tate (T-H-L), I was surprised disappointed to see an extremely negative hook about a South African woman shoved onto the Main Page without a second thought.

And I do mean without a second thought, because the hook fact isn't present in the article. I almost couldn't believe this, so I read it over several times, and yeah, it's just not there. There's absolutely nothing about twelve crimes – the lead (unsourced) says "several," and the infobox (unsourced) lists five – and murder is only mentioned in the lead, unsourced. The information hasn't been recently removed or anything. It was never there. This hook was supposedly checked over by three editors (Storye book (T-C-L), PrimalMustelid (T-C-L) and Amakuru (T-C-L)) and apparently not one of them spotted this.

The article itself has BLPCRIME problems; I can't find any evidence that Magudumana has been convicted of the crimes that she's accused of in the infobox.
Pulled
Amakuru wrote:I'm really sorry about this, I dropped the ball on this one. I promoted the set a few days ago, and had checked the first hooks already but I didn't get as far down as this one and then due to having a busy weekend the matter it completely slipped my mind.
Ladies and gentlemen: Amakuru (T-C-L)

Tbackus
Banned
Actual Name: Tim T

Unread post by Tbackus » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:59 am

rnu wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:49 pm
Dan of La Mancha wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:48 pm

Pulled
Amakuru wrote:I'm really sorry about this, I dropped the ball on this one. I promoted the set a few days ago, and had checked the first hooks already but I didn't get as far down as this one and then due to having a busy weekend the matter it completely slipped my mind.
Ladies and gentlemen: Amakuru (T-C-L)
It is unfortunate that they are always fumbling around. So many moving parts and so many unqualified participants. They also have so many rules that they enforce to push favored narratives. I am glad that Amakuru admitted the mistake and also admitted that they did not even do a cursory check of that article or hook before promoting it to be on the main page.

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:51 am

It is a shame that dimething as obvious as clearing individual hooks rather than a whole slate is only likely to introduce now, when it has been letting crud through for years.
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:46 pm

DYK ...
... that The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution, 1763–1789 (T-H-L) has been the first, second, and third volume of the Oxford History of the United States?
It was never the first volume. It was merely the first volume to be published.*
The first edition is called "Volume II". At the time there was one volume planned for the history up to 1763.
Later the plan was changed and now two volumes are planned for the history up to 1763. So the second edition is now called "v. 3" in the small print.

* Of course there is a very liberal meaning in which this makes it "the first volume", but in that meaning it was never the second or third volume. So the hook is wrong on any reading.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:51 pm

OTD
2015 – Nepal was struck by a magnitude-7.8 earthquake, killing more than 8,000 people, including 22 from avalanches on Mount Everest.
Translation: "More than 8,000 people died, 22 of which we care about."
BTW the lead of 2015 Mount Everest avalanches (T-H-L) says "at least twenty-two", the infobox says "24", the "Rescue operations" section says "at least 24", the "Deaths" section says that the Nepal Mountaineering Association "lists 19 deaths" while "National Geographic reported 24 deaths", the "List of fatalities" includes 16 persons. Meanwhile April 2015 Nepal earthquake (T-H-L) says 22 in the lead and "at least 19" in the text.

Háčky
Contributor

Unread post by Háčky » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:55 am

... that N661US (T-H-L) (pictured) was the prototype Boeing 747-400 and was involved in the Northwest Airlines Flight 85 incident, in which the aircraft suddenly banked hard to the left in flight?
Did you know that an aircraft was the only aircraft “involved” in its own mechanical problem and that this is the sort of contorted writing that DYK reviewers find interesting?

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:06 pm

DYK ...
... that zombie-like obedience has been attributed to Jesuits, the military, and followers of totalitarian regimes?
I thought long and hard about what to write about this article. The nicest thing I came up with:

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:42 pm

DYK ...
... that Saint Tarbula of Persia was martyred by being cut in half by a saw after being accused of witchcraft?
Wikipedia once again endorsing claims of sainthood and martyrdom on its Main Page.
And once again the article is a wonderful illustration of how not to write about religious topics. The article states the narrative of Tarbula as fact in wikivoice. That's bad enough. Let's look at the sources.

Let's start with Sozomen (T-H-L)'s Ecclesiastical History:
Despite Sozomon being cited for saying that Tarbula was "beautiful and very stately in form" he was born about 50 years after her death. Sozomon is an important source for the history of early Christianity. He is also as biased as you can be. And not only does he have a Christian bias. He has also a Roman/Byzantine bias. And in his time Persia was the enemy. So clearly someone to take at his word when he writes about a Christian in Persia. According to him Tarbula is one of more than 16,000 Christians killed under Shapur II (T-H-L).

Next up: Dunbar, Agnes B.C. (1901). A Dictionary of Saintly Women. Vol. 2. London: George Bell & Sons
I found nothing about the educational background of Dunbar. This dictionary seems to be her only (major?) work. It is expressly not critical:
I have generally abstained from criticising or expressing a personal opinion. Where I have said that a story is untrue or an author untrustworthy, the statement is made on the authority of some accredited Catholic writer.
Her account of Tarbula is based on Sozomen and a church history by John Mason Neale (T-H-L).

Then there is Virgin Martyr Pherbutha (Phermoutha) of Persia, with her sister, and servant by the Orthodox Church in America. No author named, no sources. Completely uncritical.

Finally a work by a scholar: Jensen, Anne (1996). God's Self-Confident Daughters: Early Christianity and the Liberation of Women. Translated by Dean Jr., O.C. (1st ed.). Louisville, Kentucky: Westminster John Knox Press.
:de:Anne Jensen (Theologin) (T-H-L) was a German-Austrian professor of theology. Alas her account of Tarbula is based on Sozomen.

The last source is Arjana, Sophia Rose (2015). Muslims in the Western Imagination. New York: Oxford University press
I couldn't access it, but from what little I could see at google preview it seems to deal with Tarbula only in the context of Islamophobic paintings of her death.

That leaves us with zero quality sources for an article about an early Christian "saint" that is so naive and uncritical that most theologians would probably be embarrassed.

Yngvadottir
Contributor

Unread post by Yngvadottir » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:01 am

rnu wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:42 pm
DYK ...
... that Saint Tarbula of Persia was martyred by being cut in half by a saw after being accused of witchcraft?
Wikipedia once again endorsing claims of sainthood and martyrdom on its Main Page.
And once again the article is a wonderful illustration of how not to write about religious topics. The article states the narrative of Tarbula as fact in wikivoice. That's bad enough. Let's look at the sources.
The article does appear to be written credulously and is now tagged for unreliable sources. It should point out that like many early saints, she may not have existed. I don't think the blurb should state the manner of her death as certain, maybe something like "... that Saint Tarbula of Persia, who was accused of witchcraft, is said to have been martyred by being sawed in half?" But I have to disagree that calling a Christian saint or martyr a saint or martyr, even in a main page blurb, is inappropriate. Apart from the special LDS usage of "saint", these are terms specific to (some branches of) Christianity, and there's no need to point out that adherents of other religions don't venerate these people, any more than there is to qualify ranks within Christian churches like "bishop" or video-game terms like "NPC" or business terms like "CEO" with something like "termed" or "known as".

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:44 am

rnu wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:33 pm
DYK ...
... that Shohei Ohtani married "a normal Japanese woman" (pictured) who used to play professional basketball?
You may be tempted to think the DYK article is about Shohei Ohtani (T-H-L). Nope, it is about Mamiko Tanaka (T-H-L) aka "a normal Japanese woman". No need to mention her name in the hook. It's not like anyone cares about her (her name is used in the image caption). She is a former professional basketball player. Her article only exists because of her marriage. It started out as a redirect to the "personal life" section of her husband's article the day he announced her name. It took another two weeks for someone to start a draft. But I digress, I mean who cares about a chick who played basketball in Japan when there's a dude playing baseball in the US you can talk about instead? The DYK crowd certainly doesn't.
What is an abnormal Japanese woman?

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:29 pm

DYK ...
... that ice hockey player Cameron Butler (T-H-L) "had the good fortune not to get pulled over as he raced" to reach his team's game in time for his NHL debut?
The article was created the day after his NHL debut. Which lasted all of 54 seconds as an emergency replacement because too many of the team's players were injured.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:26 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:44 am

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:38 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:26 pm
Elinruby wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:44 am
Everyone is allowed their passion in life.

I mean it's not Corey Lewandowski, after all. :D

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Háčky
Contributor

Unread post by Háčky » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:34 am

Did you know…
... that the 2004 documentary The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing (T-H-L) contains interviews from dozens of film editors, including women under-represented in the field?
No doubt this is meant to say that women were an under-represented class in the field of film editing, but due to a shortage of grammar, what it actually says is that the women whose interviews appear in this documentary were somehow personally under-represented in the field; perhaps they wanted to hire an agent.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:57 pm

Háčky wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:34 am
Did you know…
... that the 2004 documentary The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing (T-H-L) contains interviews from dozens of film editors, including women under-represented in the field?
No doubt this is meant to say that women were an under-represented class in the field of film editing, but due to a shortage of grammar, what it actually says is that the women whose interviews appear in this documentary were somehow personally under-represented in the field; perhaps they wanted to hire an agent.
From the source that allegedly supports the hook:
Before that, the editor was called a “cutter,” and in silent-movie days, that “cutter” was more often than not a woman. That’s because editing seemed like crocheting or sewing, a lowly and unmanly sit-down craft. But with the advent of talking pictures, males marched in and claimed the profession, since sound editing involved knowledge of electricity and engineering. Guy stuff.
A few women survived in the editing room in the Hollywood 1930s. Only one had lots of power: Margaret Booth, a stormy and bullying presence at MGM.
So a statement about the 1930s is used to support a hook in the present tense.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:10 pm

DYK ...
... that despite getting an offer from his dream basketball school, Notre Dame, Chris Hill instead chose Michigan State?
Another basketball player who owes his article to TonyTheTiger (T-C-L)'s bauble addiction.
TTT wrote the article in 2011 for DYK and has now nominated it to GA for another run on DYK (and of course the GA bauble). TTT has made no edits to the article since 2011. Nor has anyone else apart from some bot edits.

TTT on his way to buy some milk: