Dicklyon

The Blue Newt
Habitué
kołdry

Re: Dicklyon

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:35 am

Starship Enterprise wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:19 am
BLOCKED for 48 hrs by Vanamonde93 (T-C-L) for personal attacks on GoodDay (T-C-L)

diff diff

Dicklyon is right but he's still a dick
How on earth is diCLy “right?”. Wikipedia is supposed to be a trailing tertiary reference, something that digests accepted knowledge from actual experts, and regurgitates it in new just-short-of-plagiaristic form. Why should style be any exception to that?

dicko’s own words- “clamoring for attention when you have nothing to contribute, admittedly not understanding English grammar, showing no respect for style guidelines, and just injecting a lot of noise and pushback into places where others are trying to get these jobs done” - are almost completely self-referential.

Starship Enterprise
Where no ban has gone before

Unread post by Starship Enterprise » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:48 am

The Blue Newt wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:35 am
just injecting a lot of noise and pushback into places where others are trying to get these jobs done
This part is right. GoodDay is a talk page warrior. Dicklyon got the right answer by chance

Dicklyon is that way too

Alalch Emis
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Alalch E.

Unread post by Alalch Emis » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:46 am

No Ledge wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:38 pm
Oh, my. After not getting satisfaction at the normal requested moves venue, he has escalated the matter of whether or not the NFL Draft (T-H-L) is the proper name of a very important, official event on the National Football League's calendar, or just another generic professional sports league's draft which is nothing special....

...he's escalated it to the highest, meta-discussion level for important, meta-procedural matters, so I learned of this request for comment via my monitoring of Wikipedia:Centralized discussion (T-H-L) on my user page.
the proposal succeeded and the articles were mass-moved

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:54 pm

Alalch Emis wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:46 am
Thanks for letting me know. Appreciated the news, as I'd tuned out of that mess of a discussion.

Just in time for this Sunday's United States' national American football league's championship game.
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:26 pm

No Ledge wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:54 pm
Alalch Emis wrote:
Thanks for letting me know. Appreciated the news, as I'd tuned out of that mess of a discussion.

Just in time for this Sunday's United States' national American football league's championship game.
“Just in time for this sunday's united states' national american football league's championship game.”

FixeddiCked tHat foR yOu.

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:55 pm

Dicklyon was blocked from editing for a period of 1 week for disruptive page moves, as he did at USFL Draft,

by the same administrator who just recently closed that lodestar discussion about Capitalization of NFL draft article titles.

:facepalm:

His third block already in 2024.

More evidence of how ineffective the block button is in guiding repeat-offender editors to moderate their behavior.
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:03 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:26 pm
No Ledge wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:54 pm
Alalch Emis wrote:

“Just in time for this sunday's united states' national american football league's championship game.”

FixeddiCked tHat foR yOu.
I heard that Taylor Swift's boyfriend was playing at the Usher concert tomorrow.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:11 am

No Ledge wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:55 pm
Dicklyon was blocked from editing for a period of 1 week for disruptive page moves, as he did at USFL Draft,

by the same administrator who just recently closed that lodestar discussion about Capitalization of NFL draft article titles.

:facepalm:

His third block already in 2024.

More evidence of how ineffective the block button is in guiding repeat-offender editors to moderate their behavior.
Oh for crying out loud. If people really want to keep this disruptive jackass around, ban him from making any capitalization related edits (including starting or taking part in discussions about capitalization).
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:49 am

Wow, I count 14 blocks on that log. Not quite Corbettian, but tending that direction.

t

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:40 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:49 am
Corbettian
Haha, that's a great adjective.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:04 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Wow, I count 14 blocks on that log. Not quite Corbettian, but tending that direction.

t
Strangely enough, he's off on Quora giving bad wikipedia advice to other dingdongs.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:32 am

Vigilant wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:04 am
Randy from Boise wrote:

t
Strangely enough, he's off on Quora giving bad wikipedia advice to other dingdongs.
That has gotta be hilarious.

Link?

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:37 am

The Blue Newt wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:32 am
Vigilant wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:

t

Link?
I think it's more sad than anything else

Maybe his curmudgeon act is popular there, but I doubt it.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:52 am

Vigilant wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:37 am
The Blue Newt wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:

t

Link?

Damn. I thought dIcKly was the one quorifying.

You gotta admit, that would be funnier.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:37 am

Vigilant wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:37 am
The Blue Newt wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:

t

Link?

That's actually some pretty entertaining stuff.

Here's one for the churchladies...

t
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:00 pm

Dicklyon has requested to be unlocked:
Request reason:
While the move I was blocked for was done by me in good faith, feeling that reasons to object to it had been resolved, I admit it was a mistake, and disruptive, that I did so. I understand more clearly why an RM discussion is the right way to clear this up, and that the need for an RM discussion is specifically called out in the guideline that Bagumba quoted above ("if you make a bold move and it is reverted, do not make the move again. Instead, follow the procedures laid out in § Requesting controversial and potentially controversial moves"). The length of this block seems to be punitive, especially since I demonstrated that I had the RM ready to go already when I was blocked. Based on further discussion here, I am confident that the multiple proposed moves of USFL Draft pages will be widely supported, possibly unopposed, so it would be good to get back to normal process sooner rather than later. Dicklyon (talk) 10:37, 11 February 2024 (UTC)
tldr: I know what I did wrong, so unblock me. Also, I didn't do anything wrong.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:38 pm

PhilKnight (T-C-L) took care of things:
@The Wordsmith: - what are your thoughts about an early unblock? PhilKnight (talk) 19:48, 12 February 2024 (UTC)

Given the history, the discussion here, and the extensive block log for edit warring from 2007-2024, I'm not convinced the move warring block is no longer necessary so I won't lift it myself. If an uninvolved admin reviews the context and is inclined to accept the unblock request, I have no objections. The WordsmithTalk to me 20:26, 12 February 2024 (UTC)

Yes, I have an average one block per 18 months in my 18 years on WP, which I agree is not good. None of those were for move warring (mostly 3RR and other edit warring). It's hard to imagine how blocking me for a few more days is protecting the project. Dicklyon (talk) 01:55, 13 February 2024 (UTC)

@PhilKnight: Since The Wordsmith would not object, would you be so kind as to make an independent assessment of the usefulness of keeping me blocked for several more days? Dicklyon (talk) 06:54, 13 February 2024 (UTC)

Yes, Dicklyon is either now aware of the virtual 0RR for moves or he isn't. Take him at his word. In the worst case, he's easily blocked again. 2–3 more days of being blocked now isn't going to make a difference. —Bagumba (talk) 07:35, 13 February 2024 (UTC)

Done. PhilKnight (talk) 09:21, 13 February 2024 (UTC)

Much appreciated. I'll launch that RM now. Dicklyon (talk) 10:24, 13 February 2024 (UTC)
Accept reason:

I have unblocked. PhilKnight (talk) 09:21, 13 February 2024 (UTC)
PhilKnight didn't see the necessity of even pretending that there is a reason for the unblock.

Wikiguy.DC
Critic
Wikipedia User: DC

Unread post by Wikiguy.DC » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:02 am

You won't believe this, but Dick has been blocked again, this time for calling Goodday "obstructionist." This is Dick's fourth block of 2024 and February isn't even over yet.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:32 am

Wikiguy.DC wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:02 am
You won't believe this, but Dick has been blocked again, this time for calling Goodday "obstructionist." This is Dick's fourth block of 2024 and February isn't even over yet.
…and the Usual Gang of Idiots is showing their support on his talk page.

Troutman, too. Woulda credited him with more sense.

Ryuichi
Gregarious

Unread post by Ryuichi » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:50 am

The Blue Newt wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:32 am
Wikiguy.DC wrote:

It's a veritable sea of nominative determinism.

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:32 am

Now at AN, where opinion seems to be split.
Always improving...

utbc
Critic

Unread post by utbc » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:43 am

The Blue Newt wrote:
Wikiguy.DC wrote:

Troutman was recently at ANI for saying way worse. He generally defends a right to be mean if it is deserved, and be meaner in general than most tolerate.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:04 am

utbc wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:43 am
The Blue Newt wrote:
Wikiguy.DC wrote:

Troutman was recently at ANI for saying way worse. He generally defends a right to be mean if it is deserved, and be meaner in general than most tolerate.
Oh, yeah, CT can be rude as hell, but in context, something like “obstructionist” is poisoning the well. DiCklY specializes in that sort of thing.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:08 am

(posting here to keep it from coming out of my mouth at AN)
As impatient as I am with the capitalization warriors, I have to say that "obstructionist" is a word we really need to be able to use at a notice board, because there are a lot of obstructionists at Wikipedia.

Given what I gather of the context though (and please don't explain it to me) the block as a block was probably justified.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:20 am

Elinruby wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:08 am
As impatient as I am with the capitalization warriors, I have to say that "obstructionist" is a word we really need to be able to use at a notice board, because there are a lot of obstructionists at Wikipedia.

Given what I gather of the context though (and please don't explain it to me) the block as a block was probably justified.
Sure. There are all kinds of words we really need to be able to use, but it is important that we only use them when they actually apply, rather than as generic signal reaction cues.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:49 am

The Blue Newt wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:20 am
Elinruby wrote:

Sure. There are all kinds of words we really need to be able to use, but it is important that we only use them when they actually apply, rather than as generic signal reaction cues.
Ok I guess that's fair. If you have been following all of the mucho litigation about this and you are saying it wasn't warranted, then it all makes more sense.

But speaking as an ordinary editor with an actual problem and some email evidence, it's hard to not see this as a huge black hole sucking up all of the enforcement oxygen on the site. I'd rather not have to have Holocaust in Poland VIII over one guy, but what do I know.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:08 am

Elinruby wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:49 am
But speaking as an ordinary editor with an actual problem and some email evidence, it's hard to not see this as a huge black hole sucking up all of the enforcement oxygen on the site. I'd rather not have to have Holocaust in Poland VIII over one guy, but what do I know.
Can you enlarge on this?

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:17 am

The Blue Newt wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:08 am
Elinruby wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:49 am
Can you enlarge on this?
I am sort of burned out on the topic. But see discussion at AN: "1RR appeal by Marcelus". My contribution is admittedly TL;DR but that's what happens when a mentor dismisses a complaint about his mentee as "diff-less". Chapter and verse as a follow-up.

Short version=obstructionist

Ryuichi
Gregarious

Unread post by Ryuichi » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:42 am

Elinruby wrote:

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:18 am

Ryuichi wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:42 am
Elinruby wrote:
Oh he didn't say it at a notice board? The capitalization thing seems to be on all of them. I just assumed. That explains everything, thanks

Ryuichi
Gregarious

Unread post by Ryuichi » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:23 am

Elinruby wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:18 am
Oh he didn't say it at a notice board? The capitalization thing seems to be on all of them. I just assumed. That explains everything, thanks
It was apparently at Wikipedia:Requested moves/Technical requests (T-H-L), which is a noticeboard in one sense; but not in the sense of "this is a place to discuss editor behaviour".

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:24 am

Ryuichi wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:23 am
Elinruby wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:18 am
It was apparently at Wikipedia:Requested moves/Technical requests (T-H-L), which is a noticeboard in one sense; but not in the sense of "this is a place to discuss editor behaviour".
Nod, I see

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:17 am

If GoodDay was banned from talk pages and project space, would there really be any loss to Wikipedia? I think it's inarguable there would be a benefit.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Ryuichi
Gregarious

Unread post by Ryuichi » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:51 am

Kraken wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:17 am
If GoodDay was banned from talk pages and project space, would there really be any loss to Wikipedia? I think it's inarguable there would be a benefit.
Trying to consider the proportion of Wikipedia editors for which this would be true. And then, the proportion of Wikipedia editors who would consider this true for my own account.

End up with fairly high percentages for both questions.

And then...

For every GoodDay, there is a corresponding Skyring (T-C-L).