Will "In Popular Culture" be deprecated?

Ming
the Merciless
kołdry

Will "In Popular Culture" be deprecated?

Unread post by Ming » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:30 am

Find out here.

Consensus thus far seems to be to keep the wretched things but call them something less "classist".

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Re: Will "In Popular Culture" be deprecated?

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:58 am

Rename them 'collection of random bollocks someone with no life cares about'.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:07 am

"Fancruft" is good.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:52 pm

Much of it is unsourced and should be removed unless a reliable source can be found.

As the saying goes, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give him Wikipedia and he will have a list of references to fish in Family Guy."
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

LargelyRecyclable
Muted
Wikipedia User: LargelyRecyclable

Unread post by LargelyRecyclable » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:02 pm

This is one of those things where the shrinking and often unreasonably self-important class of people who actually edit and maintain Wikipedia frequently diverge from the desires of its actual readership. I know editors think Wikipedia is serious business, but the reality is that it's supposed to be written for a general readership, and the general readership comes to Wikipedia wanting to know which Marvel movies Norse mythological figures have appeared in. In the end, it's a question of what people actually want to know, and that's how it should be.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:33 pm

Ming wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:30 am
Find out here.

Consensus thus far seems to be to keep the wretched things but call them something less "classist".
Couldn't it be replaced with a mandatory list of Simpson's episodes which reference the article topic, like an infobox?

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:39 pm

I hate these sections, but I think we're stuck with them, and probably with the name as well. My way of dealing with overly-long ones (which is most of them) is to first just straight up remove anything without a reference, then go through what's left looking for more minor references, throwaway lines from TV shows, etc and remove those as well. The example I cited in the village pump discussion is my unending struggle to keep Commander Riker out of the article on Valdez, Alaska (T-H-L). It's a perfect example of a throwaway line, he never goes back there, even when they visit Earth, and never really talks about it, it's just a bit of backstory to fill in his personality. Talk:Valdez, Alaska/Archive 1 (T-H-L) shows this goes back at least twelve years, right up to June of this year.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:38 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:39 pm
my unending struggle to keep Commander Riker out of the article on Valdez, Alaska (T-H-L). It's a perfect example of a throwaway line, he never goes back there, even when they visit Earth, and never really talks about it, it's just a bit of backstory to fill in his personality. Talk:Valdez, Alaska/Archive 1 (T-H-L) shows this goes back at least twelve years, right up to June of this year.
Not all heroes wear capes.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:50 pm

I thought these sections were mostly discouraged as irrelevant trivia? I know a lot of it was deleted over a period of several years.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:27 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:50 pm
I thought these sections were mostly discouraged as irrelevant trivia? I know a lot of it was deleted over a period of several years.
Plenty of editors still like them. There's no shortage of such sections.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:52 pm

Moral Hazard wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:38 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:39 pm
my unending struggle to keep Commander Riker out of the article on Valdez, Alaska (T-H-L). It's a perfect example of a throwaway line, he never goes back there, even when they visit Earth, and never really talks about it, it's just a bit of backstory to fill in his personality. Talk:Valdez, Alaska/Archive 1 (T-H-L) shows this goes back at least twelve years, right up to June of this year.
Not all heroes wear capes.
Beebs' turtle would have to suit up too when he went on these dangerous missions. It's just not efficient.

The port looks magnificent.
los auberginos

ArmasRebane
Gregarious

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:17 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
They mostly exist in the "bad form" on your run-of-the-mill, start- or B-class articles. Beyond that they're usually pruned of the most excessive trivia.

In a lot of cases I feel like the main thing those sections need and lack is a decent author actually talking about the subject. In a lot of cases (NOTNEWS articles, current media etc.) a lot of Wikipedia's problem is that there's no useful sources that give structure to the thing and enable writing something better than just a laundry list of references.

(TV articles often have similar 'trivia' sections with either "cultural references" or "continuity", but like with pop culture I think readers find those useful, and at least they're less formless.)

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:29 pm

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (T-H-L) is an example where it's done rather better. They have a section "Adaptations and influence" and a separate article Works based on Alice in Wonderland (T-H-L). Of course, there are so many entries they could put into "In Popular Culture" that it would be overwhelming.

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:00 pm

Wikipedia and TV Tropes serve different purposes despite me enjoying both.

Wikipedia should not strive to compete with TV Tropes on the pop culture reference front.

Hannah
Contributor

Unread post by Hannah » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:01 am

The Garbage Scow wrote:
According to Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Trivia sections: "trivia sections should be avoided" but "should not simply be removed from articles in all cases". That page is a guideline.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:37 am

There is a decent argument for some types of literature/historical figures etc to have either a section (or possibly a whole article) around 'Influences on/in modern culture'.

A lot of people dont understand that even basic things around them they take for granted have been heavily influenced by (sometimes quite ancient) history. That the film they watch is steeped in monomyth. Star Wars justifiably has a mention in the the 'in popular culture' section of Hero's Journey (monomyth) but whoever is curating that page has done a good job of keeping it limited to 3 short paragrahs - an introductory on how it applies in the modern world, a concrete example, a summary of other works/related authors.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:20 pm

Hannah wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:01 am
The Garbage Scow wrote:
According to Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Trivia sections: "trivia sections should be avoided" but "should not simply be removed from articles in all cases". That page is a guideline.
:welcome: Hannah. Guidelines generally fall into two groups: those that are ignored, and those that are treated as if they were rules.