Taliban flag? ok. Anti-Taliban flag? Not ok.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué
kołdry

Taliban flag? ok. Anti-Taliban flag? Not ok.

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Thu May 20, 2021 11:16 pm

There are half a dozen Taliban flags on Commons. No one seems to have a problem with that. But someone uploaded an image of the Taliban flag with a big red X on it. This is apparently not cool. E4024(T-C-F-L) nominated it for deletion.

This is an interesting example of how Commons works. E4024 says it should be deleted because it is "out of scope", unused, and unnecessary. Commons admin 4nn1l2(T-C-F-L) doesn't offer a policy-based reason for deletion but makes this plea:
Delete If you want to show your support for the Afghan National Army, just use the flag of Afghanistan: File:Flag of Afghanistan.svg. If you put an X mark on the Taliban flag and upload it to Commons, then someone else (who sympathizes with Taliban) may put an X mark on the Afghan flag, make it upside down and upload it to Commons. Do you see the cycle of uploading useless files to Commons which only wastes the valuable volunteers' time? So it should be stopped from the outset. Thanks 4nn1l2 (talk) 20:07, 15 March 2021 (UTC)
The funny thing is that there are lots of these kinds of protest flags on Commons. There's anti-USA flags, anti-Israel flags, anti-Nazi flags, all kinds of anti-whatever flags. There's even a category for "political anti logos".
Get a life mate. Go and support your Anti-taliban bullshit on a platform that gives a toss. –Davey2010Talk 21:55, 19 May 2021 (UTC)
I don't think Davey2010 is going to last long when the UCOC rolls out.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Re: Taliban flag? ok. Anti-Taliban flag? Not ok.

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Fri May 21, 2021 5:21 am

WikiMedia Commons does have a category that would be altogether fitting for "Queers for Hamas", namely Category:LGBT demonstrations and protests in support of Palestine.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri May 21, 2021 10:31 am

Moral Hazard wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 5:21 am
WikiMedia Commons does have a category that would be altogether fitting for "Queers for Hamas", namely Category:LGBT demonstrations and protests in support of Palestine.
That's pretty ironic, considering the attitude of Hamas and other Islamists to "queers" compared with the position in Israel, but when did that sort of protester ever use logic? :hrmph:
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Fri May 21, 2021 12:20 pm

Speaking of self hatred....

Is there a Wikimedia category for gay support for Cuban Communism, Fidel Castro, or Che Guevara?
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Fri May 21, 2021 4:39 pm

Moral Hazard wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 12:20 pm
Speaking of self hatred....

Is there a Wikimedia category for gay support for Cuban Communism, Fidel Castro, or Che Guevara?
Is it self hatred, though?? No one is saying that they support suppression of gay rights by Hamas/Cuba/etc. It's a statement in support of human rights. I'm sure that they would paint new signs as soon as they accomplish their main goal. (Actually, I'm sure there would be a period of being apologists for Hamas before they paint the new signs. I've seen this show before.)

It's pretty common to see these kinds of groups at protests where they are ideologically related to the main cause. Anti-vaccine people at right-wing protests. Trans rights people at left-wing protests. Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it seems almost comical.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Fri May 21, 2021 5:06 pm

Getting back to the original question, I can see why a sensible Commons (rather than the bunch of assorted loons we have now) might want to host a Taliban flag. It seems to be a real thing, flown, one assumes, from real flagpoles. The 'anti-Taliban flag' on the other hand seems to be nothing more than a graphic slapped together by the uploader. What exactly is the purpose of the graphic? Where exactly could it be used? Wikipedia certainly shouldn't use it (per 'WP:OR'), and if people want to express opposition to the Taliban, they can no doubt do it in other ways. Pointless crap.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Fri May 21, 2021 6:10 pm

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 5:06 pm
Getting back to the original question, I can see why a sensible Commons (rather than the bunch of assorted loons we have now) might want to host a Taliban flag. It seems to be a real thing, flown, one assumes, from real flagpoles. The 'anti-Taliban flag' on the other hand seems to be nothing more than a graphic slapped together by the uploader. What exactly is the purpose of the graphic? Where exactly could it be used? Wikipedia certainly shouldn't use it (per 'WP:OR'), and if people want to express opposition to the Taliban, they can no doubt do it in other ways. Pointless crap.
Commons is not sensible. There are tons of these things for use in userboxes. This user hates brussel sprouts. It's all fine and dandy until someone makes a userbox that pushes someone's buttons. There was a kerfuffle about "traditional marriage" userboxes a while ago. If I recall correctly, they all ended up getting deleted.

Someone ought to do a blog post about userboxes.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri May 21, 2021 7:51 pm

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 5:06 pm
Well, I mean, if we're making "pointless crap" a deletion criteria at Commons then sure, delete it. And several million other things hosted there.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Tue May 25, 2021 6:39 pm

Discussion was finally closed today
Kept, Beeblebrox summed it well and Des Vallee has also good thoughts. Taivo (talk) 07:02, 25 May 2021 (UTC)
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Tue May 25, 2021 7:05 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 6:39 pm
Discussion was finally closed today
Kept, Beeblebrox summed it well and Des Vallee has also good thoughts. Taivo (talk) 07:02, 25 May 2021 (UTC)
Delete as per E40 and 4nn1l2 - In case a few people above haven't noticed we're here to upload files, sort through the naff ones and categories images - We're not here to start promoting Anti this and Anti that - Basically we're not here to be political.

I would also go as far as to say 4nn's suggestion whilst in completely good faith should not be allowed here either because again we're not here to be Anti x, y and z although I would settle with 4nn's compromise if the community believe it should be allowed here. –Davey2010Talk 21:52, 19 May 2021 (UTC)

Weak Keep - My opinion/mind hasn't changed however I do agree in that if we're going to delete this image then the rest of the Anti images should be deleted too. Keep per Beeblebrox. –Davey2010Talk 22:07, 23 May 2021 (UTC)
Davey2010 is not very smart, but he likes to be on the winning side. It's amusing to watch him flip-flop sometimes.