Smallbones' Signpost smear

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
kołdry
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Re: Smallbones' Signpost smear

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue May 04, 2021 10:43 pm

The Signpost is for all Wikipedia editors and can deal with bigger questions like "there's this guy who tells lots of fibs, had his finger on the nuclear button for 4 years, who encouraged an insurrection against the US government, and his organization edits Wikipedia. What do we do?"
At the risk of stating the obvious, he could just as easily be referring to Putin, Kim Jong Un, Xi Jinping, or even Netanyahu with this "example." And just as obviously, he doesn't even consider that the best or most sensible answer might be "require pre-publication review," or "disallow anonymous editing," or even "nothing — since those other two options are impossible to achieve."

Why anyone listens to this guy at all is utterly beyond me, despite my being somewhat aligned with him politics-wise. But I guess they're stuck with him on WP, because for them, to actually insist on rational approaches to "problems" from someone in his position would simply be unthinkable.
Giraffe Stapler wrote:It should be pointed out that Mmartinnyc (T-C-L) hasn't edited since 2013 (and is also dead). Trumpgirl (T-C-L) hasn't edited since 2017. Smallbones did not approach the COI noticeboard or ArbCom, but has instead made up imaginary reasons why they would not deal with this example of COI editing. The truth is there's just nothing there worth bothering with at this point.
It struck me that this might explain his choice of username — he's like a really tenacious little dog who gets his jaws around the smallest bones he can find, some so small nobody else even realizes they're bones, and never lets go.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed May 05, 2021 2:02 am

I suppose we should be a bit grateful he didn't turn QAnon during the last few years?

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Wed May 05, 2021 9:40 am

RE: Smallbones (T-C-L)
Midsize Jake wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:43 pm
Giraffe Stapler wrote: It should be pointed out that Mmartinnyc (T-C-L) hasn't edited since 2013 (and is also dead). Trumpgirl (T-C-L) hasn't edited since 2017. Smallbones did not approach the COI noticeboard or ArbCom, but has instead made up imaginary reasons why they would not deal with this example of COI editing. The truth is there's just nothing there worth bothering with at this point.
It struck me that this might explain his choice of username — he's like a really tenacious little dog who gets his jaws around the smallest bones he can find, some so small nobody else even realizes they're bones, and never lets go.
His case must intrigue pathologists.
So far, Smallbones (T-C-L) is the longest lived example of a human with rabies (T-H-L).
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

ArmasRebane
Gregarious

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Fri May 07, 2021 1:43 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:43 pm
The Signpost is for all Wikipedia editors and can deal with bigger questions like "there's this guy who tells lots of fibs, had his finger on the nuclear button for 4 years, who encouraged an insurrection against the US government, and his organization edits Wikipedia. What do we do?"
At the risk of stating the obvious, he could just as easily be referring to Putin, Kim Jong Un, Xi Jinping, or even Netanyahu with this "example." And just as obviously, he doesn't even consider that the best or most sensible answer might be "require pre-publication review," or "disallow anonymous editing," or even "nothing — since those other two options are impossible to achieve."

Why anyone listens to this guy at all is utterly beyond me, despite my being somewhat aligned with him politics-wise. But I guess they're stuck with him on WP, because for them, to actually insist on rational approaches to "problems" from someone in his position would simply be unthinkable.
Giraffe Stapler wrote:It should be pointed out that Mmartinnyc (T-C-L) hasn't edited since 2013 (and is also dead). Trumpgirl (T-C-L) hasn't edited since 2017. Smallbones did not approach the COI noticeboard or ArbCom, but has instead made up imaginary reasons why they would not deal with this example of COI editing. The truth is there's just nothing there worth bothering with at this point.
I feel like the people who actually listen to any of the opinions of the Signpost rather than moving along are pretty small. It's a fiefdom and a pulpit for a few users, but by and large no one much cares, the same way the Arbitration Committee matters to very few editors, even among the "active" set.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Fri May 07, 2021 2:57 pm

ArmasRebane wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:43 pm
I feel like the people who actually listen to any of the opinions of the Signpost rather than moving along are pretty small. It's a fiefdom and a pulpit for a few users, but by and large no one much cares, the same way the Arbitration Committee matters to very few editors, even among the "active" set.
This month's Signpost seemed to have attracted a little more attention than most, probably because of Smallbones' retiement announcement and this Trump Org piece. (Tip for future editors-in-chief: having something nominated for deletion gets you page views!) Generally speaking, there are a few hundred views in the days immediately following publication and then the views quickly drop and gradually taper off to almost zero by the time the next issue is out.

The previous issue has had a total of 6,864 page views thus far. You can't even say that 6,864 individual editors read it because that's the combined views of all the articles. If we assume that each editor read all of the articles, that's less than 1,200 editors.

ArmasRebane
Gregarious

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Sun May 09, 2021 1:03 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:57 pm
ArmasRebane wrote:
This month's Signpost seemed to have attracted a little more attention than most, probably because of Smallbones' retiement announcement and this Trump Org piece. (Tip for future editors-in-chief: having something nominated for deletion gets you page views!) Generally speaking, there are a few hundred views in the days immediately following publication and then the views quickly drop and gradually taper off to almost zero by the time the next issue is out.

The previous issue has had a total of 6,864 page views thus far. You can't even say that 6,864 individual editors read it because that's the combined views of all the articles. If we assume that each editor read all of the articles, that's less than 1,200 editors.
And that's with the Signpost getting blasted to every person's talk page (there's probably a way of figuring out how many people that is, but I'm too lazy to go looking at bot contributions or whatever.) Likewise, even with a watchlist spam less than 2000 people vote for ArbCom.

Even when you consider that a relatively small percentage of editors are responsible for producing a lion's share of the content, the "policy wonks"/stuff that tends to crop up as topics of discussion are in turn a pretty small slice of that.

el84
Gregarious
Actual Name: Andy E

Unread post by el84 » Sun May 09, 2021 1:26 pm

ArmasRebane wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 1:03 pm
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:57 pm
ArmasRebane wrote:

And that's with the Signpost getting blasted to every person's talk page (there's probably a way of figuring out how many people that is, but I'm too lazy to go looking at bot contributions or whatever.) Likewise, even with a watchlist spam less than 2000 people vote for ArbCom.

Even when you consider that a relatively small percentage of editors are responsible for producing a lion's share of the content, the "policy wonks"/stuff that tends to crop up as topics of discussion are in turn a pretty small slice of that.
According to this, there's currently 1141 pages on that subscribe list (I'm not including the Main Page in that total, as I'm guessing that's some trolling that hasn't been corrected yet).

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Sun May 09, 2021 6:48 pm

Not sure this has come up here before, there is a little-known "rival" to the Signpost, Wikipedia:TheWikiWizard (T-H-L). It's really, really terrible.
Here's the entire April edition:

Wikipedia News
MediaWiki has a new logo. Looks great, doesn't it?
Did you get to see the April Fools DYK for the Main Page? If not, catch them here (Under April 1)
In the Beta Features, try out "Discussion tools" it is a very useful feature for replying to talkpage messages. You will need an account to do so!
Memorials
Pi zero has passed away. Our condolences go out for Pi zero and anyone who knew him. Thank you Pi zero for your service here at Wikimedia. We are very sorry to hear this. We will never forget your valuable contributions to Wikipedia and it's sister projects.
Humour
Tsugaru's Humour Section

April Showers can't Bring May Flowers, if the Flowers ran away to June!
You can't get in trouble, if you don't cause trouble!
The May Flowers can't be flowers if they are roses!
Please find CanadianOtaku's Humour Section below

Sadly, there was no edit war of 2021, maybe next year.
This joke space is up for rent!
You too can be a hacker by removing everything in an article!
Error 410: I dropped this joke and I can't find it.
Editor's Notes
Just a reminder that TWW is delivered between the 16th to the 20th of each month
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Wed May 12, 2021 4:45 pm

ArbCom has decided that it is necessary to remind the Signpost journalists that the Wikipedia outing policy applies to them just as much as it applies to everyone else. And, presumably, will be enforced just as capriciously there as everywhere else on Wikipedia.
Reminder regarding harassment and outing

Dear Signpost Editors and contributors,

We are writing to you to remind you that the harassment policy, including in particular the subsection on outing, applies to the Signpost as much as it does anywhere else on Wikipedia. Not posting other editors' actual or alleged personal information has long been a basic, bright-line rule. This rule applies equally to Wikipedians whom you believe to have a conflict of interest or are engaging in undisclosed paid editing; the appropriate forum for such concerns, should a complaint involve personal information, is to paid-en-wp@wikipedia.org or arbcom-en@wikimedia.org, but absolutely not on-wiki.

For the Arbitration Committee, Maxim(talk) 00:46, 10 May 2021 (UTC)