Extraordinary seven year battle on Wikipedia

Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Extraordinary seven year battle on Wikipedia

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:03 pm

Extraordinary seven year battle over the origins of Australia's favourite pub meal takes a bizarre turn – as dedicated fans claim the chicken parmigiana is Aussie NOT Italian

An online battle about the origins of the beloved chicken parmigiana has erupted on Wikipedia as editors debate whether the dish is truly an Australian classic. The entry for chicken parmigiana was last edited on Friday as Wikipedia editors continue their seven-year-long discussion about the page being unfairly slanted towards Australian culture. The editor's discussion page for the beloved dish have argued since 2014 that the parmigiana's roots in Italy and American history should be highlighted.
Daily Mail
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: Extraordinary seven year battle on Wikipedia

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:32 am

Poetlister wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:03 pm
Extraordinary seven year battle over the origins of Australia's favourite pub meal takes a bizarre turn – as dedicated fans claim the chicken parmigiana is Aussie NOT Italian

An online battle about the origins of the beloved chicken parmigiana has erupted on Wikipedia as editors debate whether the dish is truly an Australian classic. The entry for chicken parmigiana was last edited on Friday as Wikipedia editors continue their seven-year-long discussion about the page being unfairly slanted towards Australian culture. The editor's discussion page for the beloved dish have argued since 2014 that the parmigiana's roots in Italy and American history should be highlighted.
Daily Mail
Chicken Parmigiana (T-H-L)

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:03 am

The article has just been semi-protected for seven days following a rush of edits. No doubt the publicity attracted people!
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:34 am

some of y'all don't know about the hummus wars and it shows. :evilgrin:

"where food comes from" is one of the oldest, and lamest, family of content disputes. There's a whole section at WP:LAME (T-H-L) (which I don't think is really maintained anymore, that's how long this shit has been going on)
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:58 am

Everyone knows about the hummus wars.

I have the article on Jalebi on my watchlist for very similar reasons.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:39 am

You can't trace food very well unless its origins are documented quite thoroughly.

I mean something like a breaded chicken breast and a bit of ham slathered in marinara sauce with mozzarella cheese in it? C'mon.

My mother had that in her 'grandmother's recipes' box which she brought over from England in 1949. I have all those hand-written recipes somewhere.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:21 pm

Typical Wikipedia quality.
Wikipedia wrote:Chicken parmigiana is typically served in Australia with a side of chips and salad, although there is some dispute as to whether they should be served under or next to the chicken.
Really? That belongs in an encyclopedia?
source article wrote:As for chips and salad on the same plate, Burgess is a little more relaxed - as long as the parma isn't served on top of the chips. "You can't put the parma on top of the chips, it makes them soggy. It's a big debate we have," he says.
Oh look. It's an offhand comment made by an interviewee. Checks out.

watis
Critic

Unread post by watis » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:49 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:21 pm
Typical Wikipedia quality.
Wikipedia wrote:Chicken parmigiana is typically served in Australia with a side of chips and salad, although there is some dispute as to whether they should be served under or next to the chicken.
Really? That belongs in an encyclopedia?
source article wrote:As for chips and salad on the same plate, Burgess is a little more relaxed - as long as the parma isn't served on top of the chips. "You can't put the parma on top of the chips, it makes them soggy. It's a big debate we have," he says.
Oh look. It's an offhand comment made by an interviewee. Checks out.
Frankly, yeah, I'd call this a notable trait of the dish. You could cite it to just about any in-depth discussion of chicken parmigiana in Australian culture, and it'd belong in an encyclopedia's rendition of that. (But then I think serious treatment of 'unencyclopedic!!!!' topics is Wikipedia's strength, not weakness. The co-existence of it with shitty articles about more serious matters is better solved by making the latter better, not the former worse.)
This account is abandoned and the posts on it are no longer endorsed.

ArmasRebane
Gregarious

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:58 pm

Food articles are a particularly terrible topic for Wikipedia in terms of general quality, which isn't surprising—actual historiography of cooking and cuisine is relatively new and spotty (I don't think the ham and cheese sandwich dates to 1910); for a global (and even local) encyclopedia it crisscrosses with fronts of various cultural skirmishes; and finally half of all food dishes are basically just the same thing so writing something novel is going to be tough (no, not that meat-filled turnover, that one.)

Black Kite
Regular
Wikipedia User: Black Kite

Unread post by Black Kite » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:58 pm

Meh. You're not going to beat the Parmo (T-H-L).

2,600 calories and 150g of fat - splendid.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:12 pm

One I watch is Ceviche (T-H-L), basically because it is one of my favorite foods. I don't personally care even a little bit if it was originally created in Peru or Ecuador, but apparently others feel it is super important. I don't expect that will ever stop, although it hasn't been bad lately, there's always some new opinionated POV pusher out to "prove" it isn't Peruvian in origin.

There also used to be a bit in there about not eating it at night because the fish wouldn't be fresh enough, which is just ridiculous for other reasons.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:27 pm

The one thing a seven year battle on WP is not is extraordinary. What would be extraordinary would be for it have ever been settled.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:18 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:12 pm
One I watch is Ceviche (T-H-L), basically because it is one of my favorite foods. I don't personally care even a little bit if it was originally created in Peru or Ecuador, but apparently others feel it is super important. I don't expect that will ever stop, although it hasn't been bad lately, there's always some new opinionated POV pusher out to "prove" it isn't Peruvian in origin.

There also used to be a bit in there about not eating it at night because the fish wouldn't be fresh enough, which is just ridiculous for other reasons.
Or it could have been introduced to Peru by Polynesian voyagers who crossed the Pacific in reed rafts.

One thing I've come across over and over again is that when I think I've created a novel preparation of food, I'll google it and I will find hundreds or thousands of recipes out there that are basically the same thing.