Re: Chris Sherlock quits

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:09 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:42 am
The Garbage Scow wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:52 pm

EDIT: Richard Arthur Norton added this to Sherlock's old userpage last year
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =388495299

He also brought up this old discussion from 2010, is he saying Sherlock was behind these old problematic trolls?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ckpuppetry
You've got your facts a little off. RAN has been blocked since June 2018.
Right, it was 2010. My mistake.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:33 pm

So, to the question of "why was he allowed to return" that' actually several questions depending on which return you are asking about. The last account, Aussie Article Writer, was created after he "retired" as Chris Sherlock. AAW was actually doing good, quiet work for some time. Then he decided to let the committee know that it was him and he was doing a "clean start" and of course our only option was to inform him that he was not qualified for a clean start because of the interaction ban with BHG. All he had to do was make a note on his user page or whatever saying he operated the Chris Sherlock account, and he could have gone straight back to what he'd been doing, but instead of doing that he basically went on an "I'm back" campaign, advertising all over the place that he "invented AN" and all this other stuff.

And then he did the only thing he was not allowed to do, and did it like six times in a row on several different pages (and there was a seventh time that nobody had noticed on his user page like a week earlier). I don't think there's any coming back from that, and ArbCom has taken over the block and is his now his only avenue of appeal, but I doubt either the current or future committee would ever unblock without a community consultation as well. I hope he can just move on, I'm sure he would be happier not being a Wikipedia editor, but he has to come to that conclusion on his own, and his pattern suggests that may be a bit of a struggle.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:55 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:33 pm
And then he did the only thing he was not allowed to do
Right in keeping with his immature behavior over the last 17 years or so. Then he cries "emotional disability" and gets his white knights and enablers to come to his rescue, thus achieving the attention he very much desires, even if he doesn't manage to avoid sanction.

Arbcom has the block and there's to be a renewed community ban from the looks of it, which hopefully provides additional checks if he tries appealing to one or the other.

I totally expect him to come back with a new sock, regardless. Addiction is a bitch.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:48 pm

And the cban is final.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:10 pm

As I commented there it's a fairly unprecedented situation to have an arbcom block and a community ban on the same account, and normally I'd agree with those that say it isn't necessary, but in this case I think it helps to at least try and send the appropriate message. (that message being "for your own good and ours, go away")
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:07 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:10 pm
As I commented there it's a fairly unprecedented situation to have an arbcom block and a community ban on the same account, and normally I'd agree with those that say it isn't necessary, but in this case I think it helps to at least try and send the appropriate message. (that message being "for your own good and ours, go away")
There are a couple precedents, but I can't recall the specifics. If someone has a copy of the old deleted list of banned users you could probably find it. Not that it's really important.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:28 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:07 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
There are a couple precedents, but I can't recall the specifics. If someone has a copy of the old deleted list of banned users you could probably find it. Not that it's really important.
I was going to cite Tenebrae as both arbcom blocked and community banned, but then I remembered that arbcom bravely decided only to give him a topic ban. Pathetic.

turnedworm
Critic
Wikipedia User: Worm That Turned
Actual Name: Dave Craven

Unread post by turnedworm » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:24 am

Up until a few years ago, Arbcom could lift community bans in all cases under BASC. It made duplication rather pointless

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:30 am

Arbs often complain that they are overwhelmed with the work, much of it being private.

Did the establishment of Trust and Safety reduce the workload (besides reducing concerns about personal liability)?
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

turnedworm
Critic
Wikipedia User: Worm That Turned
Actual Name: Dave Craven

Unread post by turnedworm » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:56 am

I don't think we are overwhelmed any more.

While we have regular meetings with T&S - I think the easing has been down to the community taking care of problems far earlier, nipping issues in the bud so they don't escalate to arbcom.

We still deal with private stuff, but it's manageable

ArmasRebane
Gregarious

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:19 pm

I was iffy on whether BHG's behavior merited a desysop in whatever case that was, but her behavior since has made it supremely obvious that was the right call (and the people who say 'it was one of the worst decisions ArbCom's made' get corresponding side-eye.)

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:48 pm

turnedworm wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:56 am
Then one of you could order in some planes to dump flame retardant on the latest AN/I forest fire, right? :unsure: At the moment any potential closing admin for the Piotrus-BHG affair will be edit-conflicted because folks are curious what you've been doing for five months on another issue (if I'm reading correctly).
los auberginos

el84
Gregarious
Actual Name: Andy E

Unread post by el84 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:58 pm

Bezdomni wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:48 pm
turnedworm wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:56 am
Then one of you could order in some planes to dump flame retardant on the latest AN/I forest fire, right? :unsure: At the moment any potential closing admin for the Piotrus-BHG affair will be edit-conflicted because folks are curious what you've been doing for five months (if I'm reading correctly).
There's been more fires that they've been dealing with for the last five months...

Emptyeye
Critic
Wikipedia User: Emptyeye2112

Unread post by Emptyeye » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:01 pm

ArmasRebane wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:19 pm
I was iffy on whether BHG's behavior merited a desysop in whatever case that was, but her behavior since has made it supremely obvious that was the right call (and the people who say 'it was one of the worst decisions ArbCom's made' get corresponding side-eye.)
Yeah, I'm one of the people eating crow on this one. Not to excuse her behavior up to that point, but my thinking at the time was that maybe Portals were just her berserk buttons for whatever reason. In which case, well, I certainly have my berserk buttons myself, and while she was horrifically uncivil in that one area, she's frankly not unique among Wiki-personalities in that regard. My other issue at the time was that she was primarily desysoped for being (Incredibly) uncivil, but at least one arb cited "using tools while involved" in their vote for what was really more of a technical violation; even the people on the other 'side' of the debate agreed that wasn't really a big deal. Put another way, it looked like they wanted to desysop for incivility, but didn't want to say they were desysoping for incivility because of how fraught that landscape has been through WP's history.

But looking at this, it appears to Just Be Who She Is, and trying to use AAW as a smokescreen for her lashing out at everyone else is...unimpressive. And I do think there's way too much rope extended to "Long-term" contributors as others have pointed out (Heck, Chris/AAW was one of them). So yeah, I was wrong there.

Chris Sherlock
Contributor
Actual Name: Chris Sherlock

Unread post by Chris Sherlock » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:28 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:

That's interesting Beeblebrox, because that was not what was communicated to me by the committee. I was told to wait for some time but that there is a possibility I might be able to ask for the community to forgive me and allow me back.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:35 pm

Names to faces
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Chris Sherlock
Contributor

Unread post by Chris Sherlock » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:51 pm

Yup, I was told that I was simultaneously turning up my nose and smirking at the same time, so I thought I'd post what that might look like.

Edit: the direct link to the image is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Turn ... irking.jpg

I took it in response to Tony1 who wrote that "I'll just turn my nose up at a distance and smirk, rather than assist as I'd begun to."

Full context is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk ... /Archive_2

FWIW, I was at fault for not giving in to using unicode mdashes. I should have just done so. Would have been a lot less drama. Admittedly, this happened after I had spent hours writing an article for the Women In Red project, but Tony had decided my prose was terrible and he had to find something to pick on.
Last edited by Chris Sherlock on Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:57 pm

Chris Sherlock wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:51 pm
Yup, I was told that I was simultaneously turning up my nose and smirking at the same time, so I thought I'd post what that might look like.
That's worth either a jump scare or a spit take.

Oh, and :welcome:

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Chris Sherlock
Contributor

Unread post by Chris Sherlock » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:07 am

Thanks Zoloft :XD

It is somewhat disheartening that the One Way Interaction ban was premised under the fact that I was trying to get a reaction from BHG. Given what I had asked ANI to do was to please ask her to desist from responding to me, she then proceeded to say that I was trying to gain a reaction from the following: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =979713824.

That was right after I was told I was Wikipedia's "most prolific bot". That was from BHG. lol!

The pile one was quite remarkable, and not a single person pointed out what I had been responding to. Several days ago, ArbCom banned BHG indefinitely for personal attacks and battleground mentality. It appears they were quite happy to allow her to make personal attacks for some time. In fact, I noticed they bent over backwards to try to save her.