Earthy Astringent

tarantino
Habitué
kołdry

Earthy Astringent

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:01 am

We've decided that Earthy Astringent is no longer welcome here, after recently discovering his problematic history. On enwiki, he was Fasttimes68 (T-C-L), Little green rosetta (T-C-L) and Two kinds of pork (T-C-L). They're all arbcom blocked, though his current account That man from Nantucket (T-C-L) is in good standing. On WO he was blocked as When pigs fly.

I don't think his long and sordid wikicareer has been condensed into one place, but a start would be this thread on Little green rosetta.

Lightbreather
Resurrected

Re: Earthy Astringent

Unread post by Lightbreather » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:37 am

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:49 am

Going to remove an offensive phrase in one of his posts.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:37 am

tarantino wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:01 am
his current account That man from Nantucket (T-C-L) is in good standing.
In 2016, it was blocked indefinitely: "Abusing multiple accounts: Please see: Wikipedia:Sockpuppet investigations/Which Hazel?". However, a few hours later that was converted to a seven-day block. See also Wikipedia:Sockpuppet investigations/Which Hazel?/Archive (T-H-L).
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Lightbreather
Resurrected

Unread post by Lightbreather » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:43 pm

Apparently this has come to the attention of at least one WP editor: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... discussion

I'd like to state, for the record, that I asked to be unbanned there and here within a couple weeks of each other. I figured if I was going to ask on one venue I might as well ask on the other. I had no idea that EA was TKOP's sock. The timing here of EA's ban and my unban was purely coincidental on my part.

That is all I will say on the subject.

Pudeo
Regular

Unread post by Pudeo » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:55 pm

Lightbreather wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:43 pm
Apparently this has come to the attention of at least one WP editor: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... discussion

I'd like to state, for the record, that I asked to be unbanned there and here within a couple weeks of each other. I figured if I was going to ask on one venue I might as well ask on the other. I had no idea that EA was TKOP's sock. The timing here of EA's ban and my unban was purely coincidental on my part.

That is all I will say on the subject.

OK, I assumed that the timing couldn't be a coincidence and that you emailed the WPO administrators with your knowledge or something.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:08 am

Lightbreather asked to be unblocked here, and there were no objections among the several people who I asked.

Earthy mentioned LB out of the blue in several threads, as did Two kinds of pork/When pigs fly. I didn't put two and two together until I looked in to her request.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:37 pm

What led to the conclusion that Man from Nantucket is TKOP?
Asking for a friend. :B'
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:22 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:37 pm
This is a public thread, and we don't usually discuss this sort of thing regardless, so I'm afraid we're limited in what we can say about this — particularly since it did involve geolocating his IP addresses for confirmation, going back to his date of registration here. We don't have access to Wikipedia CheckUser data, so suffice to say that this conclusion was based mostly on a "preponderance of circumstantial evidence," most of it based on his posting activity here and how it corresponded with Mr. Nantucket's activity on WP.

Which is to say, you could check it yourself by analyzing posts here vs. edits there for chronological/subject-matter parallels, and we're fairly certain you'd come to the same conclusion, including the initial tip-off that Mr. Nantucket was his account. But we shouldn't say anything more explicit than that, ostensibly for privacy reasons, but also because Mr. Astringent tended to behave himself reasonably well here (at least when Ms. Lightbreather wasn't around) and I believe he deserves some deference for that at least.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:09 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:22 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:37 pm
This is a public thread, and we don't usually discuss this sort of thing regardless, so I'm afraid we're limited in what we can say about this — particularly since it did involve geolocating his IP addresses for confirmation, going back to his date of registration here. We don't have access to Wikipedia CheckUser data, so suffice to say that this conclusion was based mostly on a "preponderance of circumstantial evidence," most of it based on his posting activity here and how it corresponded with Mr. Nantucket's activity on WP.

Which is to say, you could check it yourself by analyzing posts here vs. edits there for chronological/subject-matter parallels, and we're fairly certain you'd come to the same conclusion, including the initial tip-off that Mr. Nantucket was his account. But we shouldn't say anything more explicit than that, ostensibly for privacy reasons, but also because Mr. Astringent tended to behave himself reasonably well here (at least when Ms. Lightbreather wasn't around) and I believe he deserves some deference for that at least.
Note: Only the site admins (2 people) have access to IP information, and we only use it when either the site is endangered, or the safety of a member is at risk. The safety of our members is paramount. Unlike the W?F, we use the dictionary definition of harassment.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:24 am

For information: I believe that IP information on this site is retained permanently, unlike WMF sites. No conspiracy here; it's just the way the software works.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:35 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:24 am
For information: I believe that IP information on this site is retained permanently, unlike WMF sites. No conspiracy here; it's just the way the software works.
Always use a VPN when concerned about IP addresses.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:51 am

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:35 pm
Poetlister wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:24 am
Always use a VPN when concerned about IP addresses.
Beware: if someone else is using the same proxy, this can cause confusion. :D

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:20 pm

That man from Nantucket (T-C-L) has been blocked as a sock of Two kinds of pork (T-C-L). A checkuser block, although Two kinds of pork has not edited since early 2015.

The wheels of Wikipedia justice grind slowly, but occasionally do manage to actually grind something if you wait long enough.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:27 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:20 pm
That man from Nantucket (T-C-L) has been blocked as a sock of Two kinds of pork (T-C-L). A checkuser block, although Two kinds of pork has not edited since early 2015.

The wheels of Wikipedia justice grind slowly, but occasionally do manage to actually grind something if you wait long enough.
Don't forget that checkusers don't just rely on IP matches. They make the same judgments as anyone else can about style and so forth. Someone may have kept records of the chap's IP, although they're not supposed to. And there may be other accounts by the same user in between.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:59 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:27 pm
Giraffe Stapler wrote:

Don't forget that checkusers don't just rely on IP matches. They make the same judgments as anyone else can about style and so forth. Someone may have kept records of the chap's IP, although they're not supposed to. And there may be other accounts by the same user in between.
You're right, of course. Sometimes a checkuser block is done so that it can't be overturned by any random admin. The next step would be to connect the dots and give him a long overdue global ban, but that's probably asking too much of the T&S folks who can't even figure out who to block when someone gives them all the evidence they need. Paul Benjamin Austin? Still editing. Deku-shrub? Still editing.

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:15 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:27 pm
Giraffe Stapler wrote:

The advantage of checkuser blocks, of course, is that there is never any evidence presented, hence they're almost impossible to challenge.