Undetected vandalism

WikipediaGuy
Banned
kołdry

Re: Undetected vandalism

Unread post by WikipediaGuy » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:26 am

FelinaLavandula wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:06 pm
Sorry to drag this out longer but why can there be “broad consensus” on the borders of continents (or individual countries, for that matter) but not on what constitutes far-right politics or a far-right politician?
There is broad consensus on what constitutes far-right politics or far-right politicians. The problem is that the average empty-headed Trump-worshipping mouth-breather has been led to believe that you can just say idiotic things like "Marjorie Taylor Greene isn't a far-right politician" and the simple act of speaking those words makes it true, since they watched Trump attempt the same thing for 4 years. They can't fathom that making claims that are contrary to the well-established mainstream opinion of the literate population of the planet might require a bit more sophisticated evidence than "yEaH bUt ShE sHoOk BeRnIe'S hAnD oNe TiMe, sO hOw CoUlD sHe bE fAr RiGhT????".
Last edited by WikipediaGuy on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

WikipediaGuy
Banned

Unread post by WikipediaGuy » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:30 am

No Ledge wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:52 am
FelinaLavandula wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:06 pm
Sorry to drag this out longer but why can there be “broad consensus” on the borders of continents (or individual countries, for that matter) but not on what constitutes far-right politics or a far-right politician?
Is requiring all members to vote either “yes” or “no” on every question before the House a far-right position? Since MTG is defined as a "far right" politician, then, by definition, demanding accountability must be "far-right" politics.
Marjorie Taylor Greene buys cucumbers at the grocery store. Therefore, buying cucumbers at the grocery store must be a far-right activity.

WikipediaGuy
Banned

Unread post by WikipediaGuy » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:35 am

No Ledge wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:49 pm
Wikipedia should avoid stating opinions in Wiki-voice. A fact would be that so-and-so said that Greene was "far-right", attributing the opinion to a person or organization who stated that opinion.
Hey, genius. That's what those little numbers are for on Wikipedia articles. When you see a little number like this[2], you can click on it to see what source that part of the article is referenced to. That saves us from having to write every sentence like, "According to the journalist John Smith from the New York Times on January 9, 2021, Trump is a moron." This is called a footnote. They usually don't have them in comic books, so you might have not seen it before.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:48 am

WikipediaGuy wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:35 am
No Ledge wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:49 pm
Wikipedia should avoid stating opinions in Wiki-voice. A fact would be that so-and-so said that Greene was "far-right", attributing the opinion to a person or organization who stated that opinion.
Hey, genius. That's what those little numbers are for on Wikipedia articles. When you see a little number like this[2], you can click on it to see what source that part of the article is referenced to. That saves us from having to write every sentence like, "According to the journalist John Smith from the New York Times on January 9, 2021, Trump is a moron." This is called a footnote. They usually don't have them in comic books, so you might have not seen it before.
Ease off on the sarcasm, please. No Ledge is an experienced Wikipedia editor. He's also a member in good standing here, and we frown on spewing abuse at members here. Yes, this is a warning from me. Yes, I have moderator permissions.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:51 am

Why don't we say in the lead that Greene is authoritarian and ultra-nationalist, and has nativist ideologies and tendencies? That is how Wikipedia defines far right. That would make things more clear than using a term that could also be attributed to cucumber purchasers.

Does "nativist" mean that they are strong supporters of American Indian rights, i.e. native Americans?
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

WikipediaGuy
Banned

Unread post by WikipediaGuy » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:07 am

No Ledge wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:51 am
Does "nativist" mean that they are strong supporters of American Indian rights, i.e. native Americans?
Yes, all far-right politicians are big supporters of Native American rights. There is video of MTG doing a rain dance with the Cthulu tribe of Georgia.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:24 am

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:31 am

WikipediaGuy wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:07 am
No Ledge wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:51 am
Yes, all far-right politicians are big supporters of Native American rights. There is video of MTG doing a rain dance with the Cthulu tribe of Georgia.
I guess you think you're being clever and edgy.

You're actually being annoying and tedious.

Do better.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:48 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:24 am

:winky:

Last edited by Jim on Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:07 pm

Sorry for perpetuating this sidebar but I just wanted to note that there are three formally state-recognized American Indian tribes of Georgia but apparently none of them are federally recognized. Only about half a percent of Georgians are natives (a figure that's actually higher than recent previous decades). The people shouting "you will not replace us" know damn well who their ancestors replaced by exercising their rights to bear arms, and since they generally have an eye-for-an-eye mindset that's why they're so afraid.

Still it makes me uncomfortable when editors feel the need to cite eight sources to support a "fact". That strikes me as some dystopian form of original research signaling that maybe, just maybe, that "fact" is really just an opinion. This is the sort of stuff that feeds Larry Sanger's charges that Wikipedia has a left-wing bias which is counterproductive.
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

WikipediaGuy
Banned

Unread post by WikipediaGuy » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:48 pm

No Ledge wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:07 pm
Sorry for perpetuating this sidebar but I just wanted to note that there are three formally state-recognized American Indian tribes of Georgia but apparently none of them are federally recognized. Only about half a percent of Georgians are natives (a figure that's actually higher than recent previous decades).
You're confusing "indigenous" with "native". Even though they're called Native Americans, technically they are the only indigenous population of the US, as they are the earliest known human inhabitants of this region. "Native" just means you were born here, as opposed to immigrating here from another country. So, MTG is a nativist in the sense that she wants policies that favor natural-born citizens, discourages immigration, and minimizes rights for immigrants. Hopefully we can agree that that is clearly a right-wing policy.
No Ledge wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:07 pm
Still it makes me uncomfortable when editors feel the need to cite eight sources to support a "fact". That strikes me as some dystopian form of original research signaling that maybe, just maybe, that "fact" is really just an opinion. This is the sort of stuff that feeds Larry Sanger's charges that Wikipedia has a left-wing bias which is counterproductive.
Original research signaling? Is that the next iteration of virtue signaling? Besides, isn't original research typically accompanied by a distinct lack of sources (since by definition it wouldn't be original research if there were sources available to back it up)? Perhaps they felt the need to cite 8 sources because of people like you who try to argue that MTG is not a far-right politician despite the overwhelming evidence and consensus.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:17 am

No Ledge has made their point. You have made your point.

I’d deeply appreciate it if this off-topic scuffle ended.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:54 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:17 am
off-topic skiffle...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4_LMMKq8Hw

:peeking:

WikipediaGuy
Banned

Unread post by WikipediaGuy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:56 pm

I'm sorry, I thought this was a place where people come to troll WP editors. I didn't realize it was [CENSORED].

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:36 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:31 am
I guess you think you're being clever and edgy.

You're actually being annoying and tedious.
Yes, but mostly the latter.

redbaron
Critic

Unread post by redbaron » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:46 pm

WikipediaGuy wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:56 pm
I'm sorry, I thought this was a place where people come to troll WP editors. I didn't realize it was [CENSORED].
WPO's main page wrote:Our Mission:
We exist to shine the light of scrutiny into the dark crevices of Wikipedia and its related projects; to examine the corruption there, along with its structural flaws; and to inoculate the unsuspecting public against the torrent of misinformation, defamation, and general nonsense that issues forth from one of the world’s most frequently visited websites, the “encyclopedia that anyone can edit.”
Nowhere does it mention trolling.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:38 pm

Daisy,_Kentucky (T-H-L)

The whole article
Daisy is an unincorporated community in Perry County, Kentucky, United States. The population is 1758 as of the 2000 United States Census, with a population density of 32 per square mile. The area is known historically for its coal mining.

Daisy was the birthplace and hometown of notable American Appalachian musician Roscoe Holcomb and 2018 National Student Teacher of the Year, Parth Shah.[2]
Roscoe Holcomb is an interesting character from Daisy.

Parth Shah was named student teacher of the year by Kappa Delta Pi when he was a grad student at Berkeley, but there's no indication anywhere that he's from Daisy, Kentucky, and certainly not in the reference used. His name was added almost three years ago by a couple of IPs from Berkeley.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:33 pm

Alan MacMasters (T-H-L) (archive) (article history)

A guy on reddit said his principal's son uploaded a photoshopped image of himself
and stuck it in the bio of electric toaster and electric kettle inventor Alan MacMasters. That would have been Gustave.iii (T-C-L) who created the bio in 2013 and is still an active user on various projects.

I'm pretty sure the whole MacMasters bio is a hoax. There's no mention of him anywhere else before 2013.

Search results for "Alan+MacMasters"+toaster. About 9,070 results

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:48 pm

tarantino wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:33 pm
I'm pretty sure the whole MacMasters bio is a hoax. There's no mention of him anywhere else before 2013.
Oh, hell yeah. That "photo" isn't even a good fake — how did someone get that past them in 2013? I could see it maybe happening in 2003, maybe as late as 2007, but by 2013 they seemed to have developed at least a minimal degree of competence at that sort of thing.

As for the text, I mean... this is ridiculous:
Legend has it that after a half-bottle of whisky, MacMasters admitted to Crompton his sly attempt at cost cutting by sourcing a cheaper metal for his filaments. The attempt was a complete failure, as the supplier had put a large amount of nickel in the wire. The resultant lamp ran so hot that his nearby bread began to brown. MacMasters joked that he ought to put one in his kitchen.
I don't think there's any question here — everything in that article is totally false.

:boo:

stedil
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Stedil

Unread post by stedil » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:07 am

It is now nominated for deletion: Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Alan MacMasters (T-H-L)
Peter James wrote:The name was added to the toaster article on 6 February 2012 (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?di ... le=Toaster); the Mirror article was published on 1 September 2012. The summary says "revert vandalism" but the text that was there before https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =387111783 ("It is unknown who invented the first electric bread toaster") was not restored, instead new text was added mentioning Alan MacMasters, and no source was cited.
:applause:

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:48 am

You know, my modest fortune was inherited from the McMasters family. Not from gadgets like a personal toaster - pish tosh - but from the giant electric kettles that lined the Southampton docks. McMasters and his heirs received a farthing for each bag of steam generated by these clattering, clanking monsters of industry.

"Glermph, hiss, punk-punk bwah" is the noise they made through the night. Some say this is where the phrase 'steampunk' came from. Sadly, the massive kettles were broken up in 1914 to make cannon.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:24 pm

Back in 2010, Mac.Mafia's only edit was to add "The first electric bread toaster was created by Maddy Kennedy in 1872." That lasted for a year and a half until it was changed to Alan MacMasters. There's still several websites that mention the "fact" that Maddy Kennedy was the inventor.

Gustave.iii also created the article Ogura toast (T-H-L), where he noted, "at the 2017 London Japan Matsuri, Nagoya was jokingly awarded the "Alan MacMasters Prize" for toast innovation. " and edited the R. E. B. Crompton (T-H-L).
Gustave.iii wrote:[[File:Crompton_Eclipse.gif|thumb|150px|The Eclipse toaster invented by Alan MacMasters and marketed by Crompton.]]Crompton was keen for electricity to be used for domestic as well as industrial purposes. In 1893, Scotsman [[Alan MacMasters]] approached Crompton with the prototype for a device that heated bread by running electricity through a metal element.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:21 pm

This really needs to be turned into a blog post.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:07 pm

Ming wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:21 pm
This really needs to be turned into a blog post.
What’ll we call it?

I’d suggest “tip of the iceberg.”

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:30 pm

How about 'this blog is toast'?

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:38 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:48 am
"Glermph, hiss, punk-punk bwah"
I think I saw them perform a gig once, in the back room of a pub in Brentford. Something like the Buzzcocks, but with added speech impediments and less sense of irony. The lead singer went on to achieve solo success as a local government embezzler...

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:03 pm

I've gone ahead and removed all the remaining references on Wikipedia to Mr. Macmasters (there were 9). This is easily one of the most embarassing hoaxes Wikipedia has seen in a long time given its visibility. For me. It's right up there with "Brazilian aardvark". Daily Mirror journalist Steve Myall also deserves to be embarrassed for taking a single uncited sentence in a Wikipedia article and taking it as fact, which arguably substantially extended the life of the hoax.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:24 am

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:03 pm
I've gone ahead and removed all the remaining references on Wikipedia to Mr. Macmasters (there were 9). This is easily one of the most embarassing hoaxes Wikipedia has seen in a long time given its visibility. For me. It's right up there with "Brazilian aardvark". Daily Mirror journalist Steve Myall also deserves to be embarrassed for taking a single uncited sentence in a Wikipedia article and taking it as fact, which arguably substantially extended the life of the hoax.
10. Still in Toaster (T-H-L), ain’t it?

PS: [hyperlink] https://www.google.com/books/edition/Th ... frontcover[/hyperlink] - from 1893. The design usually associated with illustrations of this canard was from 17 or so years later.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:25 pm

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:03 pm
Daily Mirror journalist Steve Myall also deserves to be embarrassed.
I fixed that for you.

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Unread post by rhindle » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:47 pm

I googled Who invented the toaster and Wikipedia has made a mess of things. Here's a link to someone who probably didn't use Wikipedia to research the history of the toaster.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:10 pm

rhindle wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:47 pm
I googled Who invented the toaster and Wikipedia has made a mess of things. Here's a link to someone who probably didn't use Wikipedia to research the history of the toaster.
Not bad, but note that he writes (inaccurately) about putting bread inside a pyramid toaster.

The amount of bullshit wiki has added to public belief about invention beggars description. Blame Wiki Ed.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:48 pm

Albert Bridge, London (T-H-L). Diff: link

Three years; made its way off-Wiki, although not into any reputable print I could find.

PS: The IP’s other contributions link, to this article and elsewhere, could use a light scrubbing, too.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:39 am

The Blue Newt wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:48 pm
Albert Bridge, London (T-H-L). Diff: link

Three years; made its way off-Wiki, although not into any reputable print I could find.

PS: The IP’s other contributions link, to this article and elsewhere, could use a light scrubbing, too.
But it is a featured article. How can the "accuracy, neutrality and completeness" of even these be suspect?

Personally I think that the attempts by some of those posting here and our readers like yngvadottir to fix stuff here is unlike painting the Forth Bridge. The painting crew there has become unnecessary because of technological improvement. The removing the crap from Wikipedia crew will only become redundant when people realise that it is always going to be as full of crap as a sewage farm.

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:37 pm

Back in April, an IP user added in the opening sentence of Weevil (T-H-L) that they are "also referred to as nunus or noonoos" Revision: link while the noonoos was almost immediately removed, the nunus remained until today when I removed it. Over the course of that time, 127,00 people read the article :picard:
Last edited by Zoloft on Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:34 pm

Dame Angie Gertrude Betsie Lansbury

Lessee how long it lasts…

Lurking
Contributor

Unread post by Lurking » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:03 am

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:37 pm
Back in April, an IP user added in the opening sentence of Weevil (T-H-L) that they are "also referred to as nunus or noonoos" Revision: link while the noonoos was almost immediately removed, the nunus remained until today when I removed it. Over the course of that time, 127,00 people read the article :picard:
's South African English. Wiktionary claims it means "weevil (or similar insect)", but seems to be more of a general "insect/arthropod" thing going by online South African dictionaries. Bit like if someone added "also referred to as creepy-crawly" to the spider article: not quite vandalism, but certainly not worth keeping there, either.

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:52 am

Lurking wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:03 am
Hemiauchenia wrote:
's South African English. Wiktionary claims it means "weevil (or similar insect)", but seems to be more of a general "insect/arthropod" thing going by online South African dictionaries. Bit like if someone added "also referred to as creepy-crawly" to the spider article: not quite vandalism, but certainly not worth keeping there, either.
I mean, Armadillidiidae (T-H-L) does mention in the lede that it is also referred to as a roly poly (also "cheeselog").

Also :welcome:
Always improving...

Lurking
Contributor

Unread post by Lurking » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:40 am

Konveyor Belt wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:52 am
Lurking wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:03 am
Hemiauchenia wrote:
I mean, Armadillidiidae (T-H-L) does mention in the lede that it is also referred to as a roly poly (also "cheeselog").

Also :welcome:
Yeah, but that's a vernacular name (mostly) specific to the Armadillidiidae, not a generic "everything that's small and has has many legs and skitters about" term, so less out of place. As for cheeselog, that does appear to be correct from a quick browse (even if I hadn't heard that particular vernacular name before), but the ref certainly should be replaced, as it doesn't contain any of the vernacular names in the sentence it's attached to--just the ones from the sentence prior to that.

Also, thanks! :)

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:16 am

The Granny Killer FEAST
15 PC Original Recipe CHICKEN

18 CHICKEN Nuggets

DIPPING SAUCES

3 Dipping Sauces

Large Chips

Large Coleslaw

Regular Gravy

4 Dinner Rolls

From Kfc

4 hungry jack WHOPPER

5 fry lamb chump chops

12 deep fryer prawn

12 pack four n twenty Meat pies

1 big traditional steak medium rare

6 fry runny eggs

6 Beef sausages

6 6 fry bacon with rind

6 fry tomatoes

6 fry mushrooms

6 6 fry hash browns

1/2 can baked beans

6 toast.

6 Butter

7 onion rings

1 spaghetti bolognese with cheese

2 FIRE BREATHER With pepperoni, smokey leg ham, seasoned ground beef, fiery jalapenos, tomato & sliced red onion with a spicy hit of chilli flakes From Domino's Pizza

1 blueberry pie

1 apple pie

2Australian Blue Ribbons 3 in 1 Triple Chocolate ice cream

2Coffee

2 Orange juice

1.25L Pepsi

3 banana smoothie
Wikipedia:Go ahead, vandalize
So you were able to vandalize, right? Here's what will happen next:

Your vandalism will be reverted. It will usually happen within minutes, if not seconds. A lot of obvious vandalism is reverted automatically (and usually immediately) by an automated computer program.
Right. Thirteen days and counting.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:47 pm

James Wolfe (T-H-L), where we can learn that this prominent soldier was also a pawnbroker.link

PS: it also includes a recent example of diCkLicaTion with an obvious quotation being “corrected.”

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:06 pm

I just ran into some in the wild at Nene (bird) (T-H-L), inserting the word "whip" in a pop cultural reference I actually understood.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:21 pm

Big Runaway (T-H-L), where something calling itself Ruhrfisch (T-C-L) added an imaginary murder, [diff]https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =125079629[/diff], which does not seem to be found in the alleged source.

PS: checking further, it is sourced. It is also however, untrue; Chilloway died of smallpox at Fort Pitt.

gentlegnome
Contributor

Unread post by gentlegnome » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:11 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:21 pm
PS: checking further, it is sourced. It is also however, untrue; Chilloway died of smallpox at Fort Pitt.
It's almost like a book from 1892 isn't a reliable source for Native American history...

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:16 pm

gentlegnome wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:11 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:21 pm
It's almost like a book from 1892 isn't a reliable source for Native American history...
Well, no doubt that played into it, but note this was a sympathetic telling. It’s more about the unreliability of second, third, and fourth hand oral sources; the book is written 110 years after the fact, based on local lore.

It’s also about the difference between folklore and scholarship. Chilloway was a kind of folk-hero, and as with villains, their stories often become conflated.

Alalch Emis
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Alalch E.

Unread post by Alalch Emis » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:05 pm

Someone vandalized (diff) my favorite disambig: Delete (T-H-L)! :angry:

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:16 pm

Alalch Emis wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:05 pm
Someone vandalized (diff) my favorite disambig: Delete (T-H-L)! :angry:
The navel-gazing stuff on Wikipedia deletion processes should probably go. Though it's rather tempting to add 'fun' before 'activity' in the first line of that section. :evilgrin:

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:27 pm

From Andrew Tate (T-H-L). Not undetected for long, unsurprisingly: :lmao:
link

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:49 am

Bert Sutherland (T-H-L), where we see yer usual vandal “correcting” his name. [diff]https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... 1133392516[/diff]. Luckily, Dicklyon (T-C-L) showed up…and “corrected” a hyphen.

rhindle
Habitué

Unread post by rhindle » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:44 am

There's a vandalism on a restaurant page likely done by a fan boy of a Twitter sports/politics "troll" that's been up for 24 hours, about 10 days after an earlier vandalism. I'll let the lurkers try to figure it out.

rhindle
Habitué

Unread post by rhindle » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:04 am

rhindle wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:44 am
There's a vandalism on a restaurant page likely done by a fan boy of a Twitter sports/politics "troll" that's been up for 24 hours, about 10 days after an earlier vandalism. I'll let the lurkers try to figure it out.
48 hours now and still there. Will check back in a week to see if removed by then.