Undetected vandalism

Bezdomni
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Re: Undetected vandalism

Unread post by Bezdomni » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:34 am

Raszków [ˈraʂkuf] is a village [...]. It is known principally for a factory disaster in 1997, which caused mass spillage of diacritics all over the town's name.(1)

Raszków, Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship (T-H-L) (2010-??)
Where's the Polish Volunteer Fire Brigade when you need them? :D

ps: this appears to have been the only human contribution to the page.
los auberginos

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:54 pm

Bezdomni wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:34 am
Where's the Polish Volunteer Fire Brigade when you need them? :D
Assessing the situation:

Personally, given the neurotoxicity of diacritics (as amply demonstrated on Wikipedia contributors brains), I'd stay in the gyrocopter.

casualdejekyll
Muted
Wikipedia User: casualdejekyll

Unread post by casualdejekyll » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:01 am

rhindle wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:04 am
rhindle wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:44 am
There's a vandalism on a restaurant page likely done by a fan boy of a Twitter sports/politics "troll" that's been up for 24 hours, about 10 days after an earlier vandalism. I'll let the lurkers try to figure it out.
48 hours now and still there. Will check back in a week to see if removed by then.
A local high school to me has an article that claims their principal is a famous YouTuber. It's a very well known thing to the point where if I myself fixed it I would probably be declared the root of all evil and removed from the community as a whole. Only slightly an exaggeration.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:02 am

Revered 90 year old Japanese saxophonist Sadao Watanabe also plays the banjo, at least since August 2022.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:29 pm

link

Clongowes Wood College (T-H-L). 11 effin’ years.
Last edited by Zoloft on Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed link

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:41 am

According to Wikipedia, John Cena (T-H-L)'s debut (and only) album You Can't See Me (T-H-L) was certified platinum in 2010 with over 1.3 million sales. This has been reprinted in articles across the web (example example 2). But by searching in the RIAA database, neither the album nor any songs from it have even reached gold status. This Billboard article quotes its sales at 385,000 in 2014, 4 years after it allegedly went platinum.

This piece of undetected vandalism was added in 2015 by PsychopathicAssassin (T-C-L), who was later indef-blocked for edit warring and disruptive editing on music articles. He was apparently no stranger to vandalism at the time. Amazingly, he was not indeffed until 2018.
Always improving...

Nostradummus

Unread post by Nostradummus » Wed May 03, 2023 4:01 pm

Not detected. Consul (representative) (T-H-L) contains two recent edits by 151.35.59.78 and 151.57.102.196. The reference is a website for a fictional consulate in the Virgin Islands. The person behind the edits created the website to promote himself as both a knighted individual and an honorary consul for Panama.

Reverted. He incorporated the website into Order of Vasco Núñez de Balboa (T-H-L) as 151.43.36.48.

Deleted. He also used the website as a reference for Giuseppe Macario (T-H-L). The article was deleted, but a copy still exists on EverybodyWiki. The article also included a reference to a fake MIT alum website. This website was created by the editor as well. He has a long history of building websites to use as references on Wikipedia.

Not detected. Fiano Romano (T-H-L) includes a reference for a local news website added by 151.35.59.78. It's not a real news website. It was created by the same individual for the primary purpose of complaining about local politicians.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Wed May 03, 2023 6:24 pm

Giuseppe is something else. See Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Free Flights to Italy

Is this party a scam? (google translated from Italian)
There are strong indications that the leader of a small list who will participate in the March 4 elections has falsified the documentation necessary to run as a candidate and has committed several other irregularities, without the regulators realizing it. The list, which is only a candidate abroad in the North and Central America constituency, is called Free Flights to Italy . It was founded by Giuseppe Macario, who claims to be a university professor and a wealthy IT entrepreneur. This is not true in itself: Macario is a 36-year-old from Fiano Romano (Rome) with no political experience, who manages a strange network of websites with self-celebratory and defamatory content and who has often spread false information about him. Searched for days by the Post, Macario has so far always made himself unreachable.
The Incredible Fraud Offering Free Flights to Italy

He also had an anti-anti-plagarism website called cheatturnitin.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Wed May 03, 2023 8:10 pm

Nostradummus wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 4:01 pm
Not detected. Consul (representative) (T-H-L) contains two recent edits by 151.35.59.78 and 151.57.102.196. The reference is a website for a fictional consulate in the Virgin Islands. The person behind the edits created the website to promote himself as both a knighted individual and an honorary consul for Panama.
:welcome:

I guess you can't really blame 'em, though — I wouldn't even want to guesstimate how much I've saved on my tax bill over the years by claiming my garden shed as a "consulate."

Nostradummus

Unread post by Nostradummus » Thu May 04, 2023 2:32 pm

tarantino wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 6:24 pm
Giuseppe is something else.
He truly is.

A story was published to Rolling Stone Italia about his political campaign. The journalist, Selvaggia Lucarelli, has been a target of Giuseppe's since that time. He currently runs a fake blog attacking her and a some editors on Italian Wikipedia.

The "consulate" website has a couple of articles indexed in search engines about Alberto Riva and Leonardo Metalli. Alberto Riva was involved with article for The Points Guy. Leonardo Metalli was a competitor who reported Giuseppe's campaign for shady activities. So Giuseppe is now trying to defame them both by claiming they've been convicted of crimes in Panama.

He has a long list of enemies for whom he runs websites or creates Wikipedia articles attacking them.

* Libera Università Maria SS. Assunta
* ISSEA (T-H-L)
* Yorker International University (T-H-L)
* Università Popolare degli Studi di Milano (T-H-L)
* University of the People

He also likes to promote himself.

* Looking for Love
* World Record Holder
* Cheating service
* Professor Giuseppe Macario
* His Virtual Institute
* Academic article: File:DolceVita_Institute_of_Technology_and_3D_virtual_worlds_a_case_study.pdf (T-H-L)
* My personal favorite: his Japanese article

Some of his sock puppets.

* Bianbum
* Lerdall
* Gmacar (T-C-L)
* Modulato (T-C-L)

Nostradummus

Unread post by Nostradummus » Thu May 04, 2023 2:41 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:10 pm
I wouldn't even want to guesstimate how much I've saved on my tax bill over the years by claiming my garden shed as a "consulate."
Tax bill, you say? There's a Giuseppe for that too.

No Tasse Casa di Fiano Romano

I haven't dug into the history on Wikipedia around this "group," but I suspect it has appeared somewhere.

Thanks for the welcome.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Thu May 04, 2023 9:27 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:10 pm
Nostradummus wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 4:01 pm
:welcome:

I guess you can't really blame 'em, though — I wouldn't even want to guesstimate how much I've saved on my tax bill over the years by claiming my garden shed as a "consulate."
Getting rid of unimportant consulates was quite the pastime in AfD for a while, along with "Relations between minor country and other minor country" articles.

orangepi
Gregarious
Wikipedia User:

Unread post by orangepi » Wed May 10, 2023 8:26 pm

Dictionnaire Infernal (T-H-L)

Which of the demons is fake?

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Wed May 10, 2023 8:47 pm

orangepi wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 8:26 pm

This one looks fairly easy. But if someone does correct this, I think we should have some more of these large multiple choices with some of them being red herrings so that WIkipediots can spend looking for non-existent errors to fix.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu May 18, 2023 10:25 pm

Mary McLeod Bethune (T-H-L).

diff

From the Disgrace o’ th’ Day, of course.
Last edited by Zoloft on Fri May 19, 2023 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed diff link

Nostradummus

Unread post by Nostradummus » Tue May 30, 2023 5:05 pm

More undetected vandalism, abuse, and spam from Giuseppe Macario. This time it's on Italian Wikipedia.

Sparizione di Emanuela Orlandi

Diff: 132094664

Giuseppe appears to have been a student at LUMSA university, got into a spat with faculty or administrators, and went on to denounce the school. The website existed previously as lum.sa.it, but it now goes by lumsa.university.

He has tried several times to get this website incorporated into Wikipedia as a source.

Diff: 128881159
Diff: diff

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:58 am

Since 2011, Wiki’s “street” article has been promoting a false Greek etymology. Dunno whether it’s true vandalism, or just “a little learning.”

tinyboxs
Critic

Unread post by tinyboxs » Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:15 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:58 am
Since 2011, Wiki’s “street” article has been promoting a false Greek etymology. Dunno whether it’s true vandalism, or just “a little learning.”
well none of the claims included are false: στρατός is a cognate of stratus, and it does refer to armies, who did use roads. the article doesn't actually state that this has anything to do with why we call streets streets, so it seems more like pointless trivia than misinformation. the correct etymology is included first.
kekkou yoku naku yo na, omaetesa

Catfish Jim & spd
Critic
Wikipedia User: Catfish Jim and the soapdish

Unread post by Catfish Jim & spd » Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:18 pm

tinyboxs wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:15 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:
well none of the claims included are false: στρατός is a cognate of stratus, and it does refer to armies, who did use roads. the article doesn't actually state that this has anything to do with why we call streets streets, so it seems more like pointless trivia than misinformation. the correct etymology is included first.
This is some wacky English though "The first recorded use of word stratæ referring to the road has been made by the Eutropius."

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:40 pm

tinyboxs wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:15 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:
I’d suggest that the writing suggest a parallelism, with the word “because” left understood. Certainly some people seem to have taken it that way since.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:49 pm

This really isn’t vandalism, in Wiki’s strict sense, because I’m sure the poor thing meant well, but this edit (diff) managed to remove information as well as add it.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:31 am

Might be a false alarm, but looking at Crispin Glover (T-H-L), I really gotta wonder whether anyone really was ever named “Hellion” at birth. Looking Glover up on GooGoo Books looks a little strange, too.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:52 am

Ben Thompson (lawman) (T-H-L) has included a claim, in the caption of his photo, that his name was “Benjin Charles Thompson” diff, followed on by a claim that his birthplace was “some place welsh”diff.

Not to worry, of course since it was almost immediately corrected…well, the welching was. The rest has sat for over a year.

Kaizen!

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:34 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:31 am
Might be a false alarm, but looking at Crispin Glover (T-H-L), I really gotta wonder whether anyone really was ever named “Hellion” at birth. Looking Glover up on GooGoo Books looks a little strange, too.
Belleve it or not, this is covered in the article:
"Hellion", his real middle name, had earlier been used as a false middle name by his father, who did not like his own real Germanic middle name, Herbert.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:59 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:34 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:31 am
Belleve it or not, this is covered in the article:
"Hellion", his real middle name, had earlier been used as a false middle name by his father, who did not like his own real Germanic middle name, Herbert.
Yeah, I read that, and confirmed it elsewhere. It’s just that it all seems to trace back to talk, by the subject. Actors in general aren’t above fiddling with their bios, and Glover seems to have pretty much exactly the kind of personality this would appeal to.

Wouldn’t be vandalism in the strictly wikipedian sense, of course, but I didn’t see a thread for “”Probable Bullshit on Wikipedia”. (That’d be too big a thread, I suppose.)

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:56 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:59 pm
Yeah, I read that, and confirmed it elsewhere. It’s just that it all seems to trace back to talk, by the subject. Actors in general aren’t above fiddling with their bios, and Glover seems to have pretty much exactly the kind of personality this would appeal to.

Wouldn’t be vandalism in the strictly wikipedian sense, of course, but I didn’t see a thread for “”Probable Bullshit on Wikipedia”. (That’d be too big a thread, I suppose.)
You're not wrong about any of that.

Tarc
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Tarc

Unread post by Tarc » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:03 am

Y2K (1999 film) (T-H-L) has contained the line
Other disasters around the country include power failures crippling the entire Eastern seaboard, computers unlocking all doors in a Texas prison and Jay Leno of ‘’The Tonight Show With Jay Leno’’ continuing to broadcast.
since the article was first created on 26 June 2018

5+ years, til it got mentioned it at r/Wikipedia, and some do-gooder fixed it.

:always:
"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:28 pm

Some people named Dauphinée, most likely, decided to add themselves to the article on Captain Kidd (T-H-L). Been there 5 years since, with a little help from Auric (T-C-L).

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:49 am

Hit random article a few times, and you're likely to run into undetected vandalism.

Lampropeltis getula (T-H-L), commonly known as the Eastern kingsnake.
In North Carolina, it is also called the pied piper.
I don't think anyone did before Cookierocks100 added that to the article in 2011.

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:49 am

tarantino wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:49 am
Hit random article a few times, and you're likely to run into undetected vandalism.
Sorry to go off-topic, but I was just wondering: Does random article cover every single mainspace article, or are some excluded?

ltbdl
Critic
Wikipedia User: ltbdl

Unread post by ltbdl » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:44 am

special:diff/1184391859 (T-H-L)

this managed to stay for three days
if you are reading this then you maybe are suffering maybe paranoia perhaps (or not)...

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:00 pm

Mojito wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:49 am
tarantino wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:49 am
Sorry to go off-topic, but I was just wondering: Does random article cover every single mainspace article, or are some excluded?
I think it's supposed to, but no one really knows.

You can also get random pages in any namespace if you append the namespace after https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random , like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random/User .

Or you can get a random article in a category, like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:R ... ing+people .

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:03 pm

Mojito wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:49 am
Yes?

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:20 pm

Thanks tarantino and Giraffe Stapler. I'd read the FAQ and "yes?" was also the conclusion I came to.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:08 am

I”m not sure if this belongs here, because I fear this was merely idiocy, but someone calling themselves Vchimpanzee (T-C-L) added the claim that Florsheim Shoes (T-H-L) founder and his father had “made the first shoes in Chicago.” diff, Been there 11 years now.

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:18 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:08 am
I”m not sure if this belongs here, because I fear this was merely idiocy, but someone calling themselves Vchimpanzee (T-C-L) added the claim that Florsheim Shoes (T-H-L) founder and his father had “made the first shoes in Chicago.” diff, Been there 11 years now.
Vchimpanzee had been around on Wikipedia for 5 years by that point (still edits today), so I don't think it was deliberate vandalism. I think it's just a particularly egregious error. To give him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he meant to write some qualifier after Chicago, such as "first shoes in Chicago that were _____".
Always improving...

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:40 am

An IP removed the Holodomor (T-H-L), and induced famines in general, fromDemocide (T-H-L), with an edit summary of “Removed incorrect and unnecessary example.”

Only four days now, but you’d think with current events it’d be more like four minutes.

Háčky
Contributor

Unread post by Háčky » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:46 am

2024 Copa América (T-H-L)
The tournament's official mascot was unveiled on December 7, 2023, during the group stage draw. Its name is Capitán, which is a Spanish word meaning "captain". It is half chicken, one-quarter woodpecker, and one-quarter jayhawk.[27]
The third sentence, which was inserted in front of the existing citation for the first two, has survived for three days and 44 revisions. An hour after it was added, another editor changed the citation from a Spanish-language independent source to an English-language press release. Both sources say that Capitán is an eagle.

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:50 am

Háčky wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:46 am
The tournament's official mascot was unveiled on December 7, 2023, during the group stage draw. Its name is Capitán, which is a Spanish word meaning "captain". It is half chicken, one-quarter woodpecker, and one-quarter jayhawk.[27]
The third sentence, which was inserted in front of the existing citation for the first two, has survived for three days and 44 revisions. An hour after it was added, another editor changed the citation from a Spanish-language independent source to an English-language press release. Both sources say that Capitán is an eagle.
I mean, looking at the actual mascot:
It's honestly not that far off either a chicken or a jayhawk.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:04 am

orangepi wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 8:26 pm

Behemoth?

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:10 am

The Blue Newt wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:40 am
An IP removed the Holodomor (T-H-L), and induced famines in general, fromDemocide (T-H-L), with an edit summary of “Removed incorrect and unnecessary example.”

Only four days now, but you’d think with current events it’d be more like four minutes.
:blink: it's still that way?

Háčky
Contributor

Unread post by Háčky » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:18 am

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:50 am
What’s the saying? “Verifiability, not truth”? :XD

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:25 am

Elinruby wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:10 am
The Blue Newt wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:40 am

:blink: it's still that way?
Nope.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:08 pm

Háčky wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:18 am
Hemiauchenia wrote:
What’s the saying? “Verifiability, not truth”? :XD
It's clearly a dinosaur.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

el84
Gregarious
Actual Name: Andy E

Unread post by el84 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:11 pm

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Háčky wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:46 am
I went to the link cited in the article, and, uh:
that article wrote:Fans who want to vibrate with CAPITÁN at the matches of the best edition of all time can access the exclusive pre-sale of tickets at copaamerica.com
I do hope that's a machine translation.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:33 pm

el84 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:11 pm
I went to the link cited in the article, and, uh:
that article wrote:Fans who want to vibrate with CAPITÁN at the matches of the best edition of all time can access the exclusive pre-sale of tickets at copaamerica.com
I do hope that's a machine translation.
From the Spanish language version:
Los aficionados que quieran vibrar con CAPITAN en los partidos de la mejor edición de todos los tiempos pueden acceder a la preventa exclusiva de tickets en www.copaamerica.com.
Google translate gives almost the English above:
Fans who want to vibrate with CAPITAN in the matches of the best edition of all time can access the exclusive pre-sale of tickets at www.copaamerica.com.
The motto seems to be "Vibra el continente". It was also the motto of 2019 Copa América (T-H-L). In the Wikipedia article it is translated without source as "Rocking the continent". This official page also uses "Rocking the continent" where the corresponding Spanish page says "Vibra el Continente".

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:48 pm

Just fixed this blatant vandalism https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... 1188818900 which went unnoticed for an entire day.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:35 pm

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:48 pm
Just fixed this blatant vandalism https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... 1188818900 which went unnoticed for an entire day.
I think this may have been massive incompetence. It is tagged as a Newcomer Task and the edit summary is "This page i changed with my self not others".

Háčky
Contributor

Unread post by Háčky » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:30 pm

Not sure if this is the result of vandalism or just some Wikidata fuckery beyond my comprehension, but since 2019, the Commons category Reliefs in the Temple of Seti I has been a subcategory of Deaths in Toronto.

redbaron
Critic

Unread post by redbaron » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:07 pm

Háčky wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:30 pm
Not sure if this is the result of vandalism or just some Wikidata fuckery beyond my comprehension, but since 2019, the Commons category Reliefs in the Temple of Seti I has been a subcategory of Deaths in Toronto.
The latter. At one point in time, a bot added that Commons category to the Wikidata item for Amice Calverley (T-H-L), an Egyptologist who drew and photographed those reliefs (and who died in Toronto). Then another bot added a Wikidata infobox with her information to Commons, and later a user added the Deaths in Toronto category via an automated process. The Wikidata item has since been fixed and the infobox was removed from Commons, but the category was left behind.