Katherine Maher - is she just a smiler?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Re: Katherine Maher - is she just a smiler?

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:07 am

10920 wrote:I'd like to see an instructional video of Maher attempting to seal a small cut.

Does she start with condoms or with tampons?
I assume the sequence would be: (1) cut finger; (2) superglue; (3) tampon; (4) more superglue; (5) condom — but like you say, I really do need to see an instructional video on YouTube of this particular first aid technique to be sure.

RfB

Parabola
Regular

Unread post by Parabola » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:57 am

so what's 'hipster newspeak', i'm not sure which words the elderly have legalized yet

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:46 pm

Parabola wrote:so what's 'hipster newspeak', i'm not sure which words the elderly have legalized yet
Hipster: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster

Newspeak (T-H-L)

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:28 pm

Her twitter posts are the kind of vapid virtue signalling that makes me roll my eyes.

She's sharing her adventures in reusing ziploc bags as a way to demonstrate just how deeply she cares about the planet, right after sending 50 people to Tunis for some sort of developmentally delayed wiki-kindergarten camp.

Her self examination skills must be nonexistent.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Parabola
Regular

Unread post by Parabola » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:15 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Parabola wrote:so what's 'hipster newspeak', i'm not sure which words the elderly have legalized yet

Newspeak (T-H-L)
lmao come on. of course I know what words mean, I want to know what they mean TOGETHER.

hipster was already a meaningless word like seven years ago, and the only people still referencing 1984 should probably read another book at some point in their lives.

saying shit like "hipster newspeak" is a meaningless way of signalling your politics, the words have nothing to do with one another except that they're both used by out of touch retired dads who don't know what vine is

Parabola
Regular

Unread post by Parabola » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:16 pm

sorry, what vine WAS. big rip to our fallen soldiers

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:24 pm

Parabola wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:

Newspeak (T-H-L)
lmao come on. of course I know what words mean, I want to know what they mean TOGETHER.

hipster was already a meaningless word like seven years ago, and the only people still referencing 1984 should probably read another book at some point in their lives.

saying shit like "hipster newspeak" is a meaningless way of signalling your politics, the words have nothing to do with one another except that they're both used by out of touch retired dads who don't know what vine is
That you haven't noticed the next generation of priestly vernacular being used by the current crop of self-styled deep thinkers is no sweat off my sack.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Parabola
Regular

Unread post by Parabola » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:37 pm

So, meaningless signalling.

just say sjws next time, like you want to

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:54 pm

Parabola wrote:So, meaningless signalling.

just say sjws next time, like you want to
I wrote what I meant.
Your parsing difficulties are your own.

Parabola
Regular

Unread post by Parabola » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:57 pm

I had a tumblr account, I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. otherkins on fire off the shoulder of dreamwidth. I watched callout posts glitter in the dark near the dashcon ballpit. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Parabola
Regular

Unread post by Parabola » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:00 pm

this is to say, anyone who's scared to leave facebook or gets all their information on the newer generations from kiwifarms doesn't know shit about the "priestly vernacular" of younger generations. its actually fucking wild out here, and you're back in your hotmail account talking about how the singular they or some shit is the seventh horseman of the millenial apocalypse

nothing you could possibly think to complain about could match the baeddel discourse

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:10 pm

Parabola wrote:this is to say, anyone who's scared to leave facebook or gets all their information on the newer generations from kiwifarms doesn't know shit about the "priestly vernacular" of younger generations. its actually fucking wild out here, and you're back in your hotmail account talking about how the singular they or some shit is the seventh horseman of the millenial apocalypse

nothing you could possibly think to complain about could match the baeddel discourse
Dude, titrate down.

Parabola
Regular

Unread post by Parabola » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:14 pm

sure, let's get back on topic.

why did you and moral hazard go to bat for richard “I am sceptical of the claim that voluntarily pedophilia harms children" stallman on the first page? your complaint about maher is that she's too corporate, too ~newspeak~, but when she rightfully speaks off the cuff to insult a pedophilia activist, now suddenly you demand she be more buttoned up, more corporate

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:36 pm

Parabola wrote:sure, let's get back on topic.

why did you and moral hazard go to bat for richard “I am sceptical of the claim that voluntarily pedophilia harms children" stallman on the first page? your complaint about maher is that she's too corporate, too ~newspeak~, but when she rightfully speaks off the cuff to insult a pedophilia activist, now suddenly you demand she be more buttoned up, more corporate
Whatever you're doing with your dosage is only making it worse.

Newspeak != corporate speak.
I don't care about Stallman himself, at all.
The CEO of a non profit shouldn't be taking cheap shots at someone from their face account.
Her behavior is unprofessional.

Do you ever get tired of reading things into words that don't exist?
Do you ever get tired of being this wrong on every level?

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:56 am

Parabola wrote:why did you and moral hazard go to bat for richard “I am sceptical of the claim that voluntarily pedophilia harms children" stallman on the first page? your complaint about maher is that she's too corporate, too ~newspeak~, but when she rightfully speaks off the cuff to insult a pedophilia activist, now suddenly you demand she be more buttoned up, more corporate
This post of yours requires some unpacking, but as for the first point, is it possible they just weren't aware of what Stallman had said at that point? I didn't know about it myself until it came up here, and it hadn't really been picked up in the media, either - it was mostly all happening on Twitter, and you know how some people hate Twitter. (Justifiably, I might add.)

That said, I don't think Mr. Vigilant et al view Katherine Maher the way you think they do, which is to say that you may be conflating "user of hipster newspeak" with "corporate," rather erroneously. And I don't think anyone here has really made the argument that she's too corporate. We've certainly made the argument that the WMF is much more of a traditional corporation (both in terms of its goals/agenda and its organizational setup) than it is a "charity," but that's not the same thing.

I do think you're right (assuming this is what you're saying) to point out that those of us who are a bit older than average may be applying older standards of "professionalism" to Maher's behavior that are now (arguably) unwarranted. Personally I don't think it's good that many people these days seem to have random thoughts and reactions pop into their heads and immediately post them on social media within 30 seconds or so, whether or not it's a good idea career-wise to post them. These are the times in which we live, but at the same time, there may also be an implication there that "corporate" people (at least in tech companies) are getting a lot less "buttoned-up" than they've been in the past.

Finally, I wouldn't call Stallman an "activist" in that context - his main issues (aside from free software) are government surveillance, climate change, and US electoral reform, all of which he's pretty much right about, I might add. It's highly unfortunate (at least for him) that he had to also believe this thing about the definition of "consent" when applied to post-pubescent underage kids, and even more unfortunate that he couldn't keep it to himself for his own sake, but of course that just reinforces what I just wrote in the previous paragraph. So... I could be wrong, and I don't want to defend the indefensible either, but I suspect it was more of an ephemeral bad thought on his part than something he's ever actually been committed to.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:11 pm

who?!? Name change? :blink:

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:59 pm

Jans Hammer wrote:who?!? Name change? :blink:
Muahahar?

Halloween, perhaps?

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:27 pm

$260 for a haircut...

I'm sure the Global South totally understands.