Smiley
(Not a cat)
kołdry

Wiki Unseen

Unread post by Smiley » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:06 pm

Wikipedia Launches “Wiki Unseen,”
Commissioning Artists To Paint Portraits of BIPOC Figures

Jasmine Liu, 9 Feb 2022, Hyperallergic
The new initiative aims to increase visual representation by adding images of individuals who are not currently portrayed on their Wikipedia pages.

February is Black History Month in the US, and in recognition of the underrepresentation of Black figures throughout history — and the importance of visual media in building repositories of knowledge — the Wikimedia Foundation is launching Wiki Unseen. The objective of the project is to improve visual representation of Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) individuals by commissioning artists to create portraits of those who don’t currently have their likenesses featured on their Wikipedia pages.

In the course of researching figures historical and contemporary alike, it’s not uncommon to come across Wikipedia articles with no portrait attached. Subconsciously, those figures may register as less significant and worth remembering: research indicates that images on Wikipedia are critical to readers’ interest and engagement. The subjects of portraits, whether paintings or photographs, tend to be people who have commanded wealth and power, and our collective knowledge has reflected those biases. Nevertheless, these social realities don’t foreclose the possibility for us to make a needed intervention into the archive.

Asquith Camile Xavier, a West Indian-born Briton who helped end the color bar at British Railways, is illustrated here for Wiki Unseen by Esther Griffith

Wikimedia Foundation is working together with Afro Free Culture Crowdsourcing Wikimedia (AfroCROWD) on Wiki Unseen. AfroCROWD was started by Wikimedia volunteers in 2015 to raise awareness around people of African descent who participate in Wikipedia’s mission of free knowledge. They have identified 20 biographical articles for which they would like to remedy a current lack of images.

The project’s first push will commission illustrations from Ghanaian artist Enam Bosokah, Trinidadian artist Esther Griffith, and New York City-based artist Bukhtawar Malik. Figures whose Wikipedia entries will soon be freshly accompanied by portraits include: William Greaves, a New York City documentary filmmaker who explored Black political and cultural life in his films; Marian Ewurama Addy, a Ghanaian biochemist who researched the biochemistry of traditional medical herbal medicine; and May Miller, a widely published female playwright and poet of the Harlem Renaissance.

Watercolor artwork by Esther Griffith already graces the pages of Jamaican astrophysics professor Mercedes Richards (T-H-L) and Asquith Xavier (T-H-L), whose efforts to become the first non-white train guard at British Railways helped desegregate the state-owned company. The multicolored facial representations are based on photographic research.

Mercedes Tharam Richards, a Jamaican astrophysicist, is illustrated here for Wiki Unseen by Esther Griffith

In recent years, increasing attention has been paid to the skewed demographics of Wikipedia editors. Editors of the site remain dominantly white, cisgender males, disproportionately geographically concentrated in the global North. In 2015, James Hare, president of Wikimedia DC, told the New York Times, “The stereotype of a Wikipedia editor is a 30-year-old white man, and so most of the articles written are about stuff that interests 30-year-old white men…So a lot of black history is left out.”

There are over 30 articles that belong to the “African royalty” category on English Wikipedia, for instance, and only three of them have portraits. That’s a dismal ratio that certainly does not describe visual representation for American presidents or the British monarchy.

But a number of efforts, including Wiki Unseen, have been set in motion to counteract these occlusions. Grassroots edit-a-thons are often organized around themes like Black history and women’s history, and encourage the participation and training of new editors. And in 2021, the Wikimedia Foundation announced a $4.5 million “equity fund” supporting researchers and journalists in underrepresented communities, to build knowledge in various fields.

“Wiki Unseen aims to make Black histories and those of people underrepresented on Wikipedia more visible,” said Anusha Alikhan, vice president of communications at the Wikimedia Foundation, in a statement. “Closing knowledge equity gaps — including visual ones — is key to ensuring Wikimedia projects are accessible to everyone and represent the breadth of global cultures, experiences, and languages. We know that our work is incomplete until the full diversity of our world’s histories is seen.”

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Re: Wiki Unseen

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:11 pm

And in 2021, the Wikimedia Foundation announced a $4.5 million “equity fund” supporting researchers and journalists in underrepresented communities, to build knowledge in various fields.
I've said it before and will say it again.

Do not give money to the Wikimedia Foundation. They will just waste it.

t

Lyallpuri
Critic

Unread post by Lyallpuri » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:22 pm

Smiley wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:06 pm
The project’s first push will commission illustrations from ... New York City-based artist Bukhtawar Malik.
That's a pretty obviously Pakistani name, and she looks the part as well, so I'm confused as to why she'd be a part of this initiative. I admit that one obviously does not need Black artists to paint Black figures, but in the context of the announcement, it just seems out of place.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:25 pm

It's a BIPOC (T-H-L)-related initiative.

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:36 pm

Seems pretty pointless to be doing this for dead people when photographs could easily be used under Wikipedia's fair use policies, rather than having to pay someone to create a bad tie-dye looking drawing of a photograph instead.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:33 am

The WMF sponsors artists to violate copyright by creating derivative versions of copyrighted works. This is not a good look for them, but I suspect no one will care.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:14 am

Are you accusing Wikimedia Foundation Senior Copywriter Marina Ramos aka MRamos (WMF)(T-C-F-L) of breaking the law by uploading non-free work under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International license?

eg. Commons File:Asquith Xavier Watercolor for Wiki Unseen.jpg?
English: Original watercolor of activist Asquith Xavier by artist Esther Griffith for Wiki Unseen. Inspired by photographs of Asquith Xavier published in the British press in 1966.
It does say "Inspired by" and I couldn't find an exact photographic match for the artwork. It seems to be a similar situation with Griffith's other work: Commons File:Mercedes Richards Watercolor for Wiki Unseen.jpg

Category:Wiki Unseen features videos and interviews with the artists explaining their process.

Besides, as the old shitposter supposedly said:
And I don't remember any of us complaining about the copyright status of this masterpiece:

Commons File:Jimmy_Wales_by_Pricasso.jpg
viewtopic.php?p=32519#p32519

Alas, the incredibly educational video displaying Pricasso's process mysteriously vanished...

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:47 am

Oh wait, it ended up on Vimeo!

:banana:
https://vimeo.com/97724216

FelinaLavandula
Regular
Nom de plume: Arugula

Unread post by FelinaLavandula » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:47 am

I actually enjoy the painterly style, but it is entirely unencyclopedic. I can’t imagine much worse in the Wikipedia reader-realm than opening up an article for a relatively obscure activist and seeing one of these fucking things. It seems even a bit disrespectful to me to use an almost euphemistic portrait instead of a low-quality fair-use photo, especially if Wikipedia is trying to be seen as a serious encyclopedia.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:10 am

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:39 am

Smiley wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:14 am
Are you accusing Wikimedia Foundation Senior Copywriter Marina Ramos aka MRamos (WMF)(T-C-F-L) of breaking the law by uploading non-free work under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International license?
No, of course I'm not saying that. I'm saying that a drawing that is too closely based on a photograph is a derivative work and copyright may be violated if the owner of the copyright has not given permission. I think everyone remembers what happened with Shepard Fairey's Barack Obama "Hope" poster (T-H-L), right? But I'm sure that's not the case here because the WMF is very concerned about copyright and misuse of intellectual property.

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:54 am

Smiley wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:14 am
Besides, as the old shitposter supposedly said:
Picasso wrote:
Good artists copy, great artists steal

[pedant] Ackshually, the quote probably originates from T. S. Elliot, and there's no evidence that Picasso ever said the phrase https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/03/06/artists-steal/ [/pedant]

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:05 am

As the person who wrote all of Picasso's written works (T-H-L) except the first sentence, and who was once responsible for scraping chewing gum off the desks at a world-class art college, I think I know a little bit more about Picasso than you.

(To be honest, I am slightly downplaying my role at the college. I was also responsible for emptying the bins.)

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:22 am

You learn something new every day*. I was previously unaware that Picasso wrote poetry. Having done some further research, I am now of the opinion that he probably shouldn't have.

* Or at least, I do, though I've usually forgotten it within a week.

ArmasRebane
Gregarious

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:01 pm

FelinaLavandula wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:47 am
I actually enjoy the painterly style, but it is entirely unencyclopedic. I can’t imagine much worse in the Wikipedia reader-realm than opening up an article for a relatively obscure activist and seeing one of these fucking things. It seems even a bit disrespectful to me to use an almost euphemistic portrait instead of a low-quality fair-use photo, especially if Wikipedia is trying to be seen as a serious encyclopedia.
Yep. Outside of a case like a self-portrait by an artist in their bio that gives you some sense of their style, highly stylized portraits seem like a supremely bad fit for the purpose of an encyclopedia. Presumably this is partially to get around the copyright considerations... but then that's a situation where even Wikipedia's stringent fair use requirements make allowances (these people are dead and niche, it's unlikely you're going to find a free image or be able to heckle someone with the rights to make it free.)

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:07 am

Greg Varnum has complied a long list of dead, non-white people whose bios lack illustrations. For some reason, Wardy Joubert III isn't on it.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:27 am

I will have to look up the discussion, but this came up on one of the noticeboards RE illustrations of dead people. With the reasonable question that was 'why dont you concentrate on alive people who we cant get photos of due to our (ENWP) rules on copyright and living people?' and the answer was 'its not for ENWP, its for another wiki which has different rules'.

Which seemed perfectly sensible imho. I will see if I can dig it up. It did lay bare some of the ENWP-centric thinking that goes on. Even if we do a lot of the heavy lifting.

-edit- Here it is. Not the same project, but the principles apply.

FelinaLavandula
Regular
Nom de plume: Arugula

Unread post by FelinaLavandula » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:16 pm

Using illustrations on frwiki which is extremely devoid of pictures for people like this (clarification that the articles are in my area of interest, etc. etc.) is a far better idea than porting them over to enwiki which has fair use allowances. Just my two cents as a user of Wikipedia in both languages.