There are 11,656 athletes at the Olympics. Guy Fraser wanted them all on Wikipedia

Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

There are 11,656 athletes at the Olympics. Guy Fraser wanted them all on Wikipedia

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:38 am

“I was surprised by the amount of people listed as competing who didn’t have [a Wikipedia page] started yet,” Fraser said. “I assume the lack of competitions worldwide leading up to the Games meant that a few of the usual markers weren’t hit.” He added: “These are fabulous, fantastic athletes at their peak of capabilities and at the peak of human physical achievements, and they deserve recognition and representation.”

Before this year, Fraser had dabbled in the wide world of Wikipedia. He believes wholeheartedly in the free online encyclopedia and its force as a social good, and from time to time he’d edited or added a page. Now, though, he felt Wikipedia was seriously lacking – and he had plenty of time on his hands. Fraser works with children who have autism, and the pandemic had disrupted his professional life and kept him confined to home. He was itching for something to do, and he found it in an internet blind spot. He was going to make sure every single Olympian got a Wikipedia page.
Guardian

This chap is doing exactly what all editors are supposed to do. What do the notability guidelines say?
The guidelines on this page are intended to reflect the fact that sports figures are likely to meet Wikipedia's basic standards of inclusion if they have, for example, participated in a major international amateur or professional competition at the highest level (such as the Olympics).
Athletes who compete in the field of athletics are presumed notable if they meet any of the criteria below:
1. Have competed in the Olympics, the IAAF World Championships in Athletics, the IAAF World Indoor Championships in Athletics, the IAAF World Cross Country Championships, or the IAAF World Half Marathon Championships (former IAAF World Road Running Championships).
And so on and so on.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: There are 11,656 athletes at the Olympics. Guy Fraser wanted them all on Wikipedia

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:35 am

A week into the Games, Fraser is still plugging away with his pages on the English language version of the site. He has more to do – he’s not certain how many, exactly, but he won’t rest until the 11,656 athletes are all enshrined in the online encyclopedia (he is helped by the fact that the vast majority of them already had pages).
I decided to mow the lawn. I was substantially aided by the fact someone else had already mowed it.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Wampyre1990
Contributor

Re: There are 11,656 athletes at the Olympics. Guy Fraser wanted them all on Wikipedia

Unread post by Wampyre1990 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:50 pm

Looks like Lugnuts (T-C-L) will make his dream come true. He has been churning out articles of Olympians, sometimes at speed of one every 3 minutes.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:12 pm

Wampyre1990 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:50 pm
Looks like Lugnuts (T-C-L) will make his dream come true. He has been churning out articles of Olympians, sometimes at speed of one every 3 minutes.
What could go wrong?

Shades of Laura Hale.
Where's Fram?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

el84
Gregarious
Actual Name: Andy E

Unread post by el84 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:12 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:12 pm
Wampyre1990 wrote:
What could go wrong?

Shades of Laura Hale.
Where's Fram?
Fram tried.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... 1015329450

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:16 pm

el84 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:12 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:12 pm
Wampyre1990 wrote:
What could go wrong?

Shades of Laura Hale.
Where's Fram?
Fram tried.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... 1015329450
TableSalt blocked as a sock.

Surprise, surprise.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:06 pm

Of course, there are tens of thousands of people who participated in earlier Olympics. Some of them, especially the earlier ones, would be hard to document. And there are many, many others covered by sports notability guidelines.

I wonder how many people take note of the nutshell summary: "An athlete is presumed to be notable if the person has actively participated in a major amateur or professional competition or won a significant honor, as listed on this page, and so is likely to have received significant coverage in reliable secondary sources that are independent of the subject." This is obvious nonsense. If they have received significant coverage, it should be referred to in the article. If they haven't, why should it be presumed that they have?

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:41 pm

On the one hand, the athlete guideline has the virtue of being clear-cut, which tends to make AfDs short. But yeah, there's more likely on the order of a quarter million Olympians, probably at least half of which have no more info available than that they competed in an event at an Olympics for a country. But this sort of article is popular to write because it's routine and drives your article count up without much effort.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:53 pm

Ming wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:41 pm
On the one hand, the athlete guideline has the virtue of being clear-cut, which tends to make AfDs short. But yeah, there's more likely on the order of a quarter million Olympians, probably at least half of which have no more info available than that they competed in an event at an Olympics for a country. But this sort of article is popular to write because it's routine and drives your article count up without much effort.
On the other hand, it clutters the site up with worthless stubs on people who are totally unimportant and fail WP:GNG. It would be better to amend WP:PROF to include everyone who's held a tenured post at am Ivy League or Russell Group university.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:05 pm

The article doesn't seem to mention his username, which is Hildreth gazzard (T-C-L). (and no it's not outing, he has a link to the Guardian article on his userpage)

Alaska is of course better represented in the winter Olympics, but a young woman from Seward, Lydia Jacoby (T-H-L) made it to the games this year so I looked her up. It's actually a pretty decent article, well sourced and all that, but she's a swimmer and they get a lot of coverage. It looks like Tanis Coralee Leonhardi (T-C-L) wrote a lot of Olympic swimmer bios, in addition tot telling his entire life story on his user page.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:09 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:05 pm
The article doesn't seem to mention his username, which is Hildreth gazzard (T-C-L). (and no it's not outing, he has a link to the Guardian article on his userpage)
That was sensible of them. Would anyone outside the Wikipedia bubble take an editor called Hildreth gazzard seriously? (I won't ask what they might think of an Arbcom member called Beeblebrox.)