Wikipedia and the Military-Intelligence Complex...

Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Wikipedia and the Military-Intelligence Complex...

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:09 am

Wikipedia and the Military-Intelligence Complex: How the Free Encyclopedia Feeds the National Security State from Which It Emerged

In my new book, We’ll Tell You What to Think: Wikipedia, Propaganda and the Making of Liberal Consensus, I expose who funds Wikipedia, what their intentions are, and how they seek to shape narratives favorable to neoliberal capitalism and the US empire.

Wikipedia is part of the very internet developed by the military with public money in the 1950s-60s, then called ARPANET. Generally speaking, corporations hope that the systems developed in the military that evolve in the public-corporate realm—satellites, computers, data analysis, etc.—will inspire new military-intelligence innovations in a permanent feedback loop.
Counterpunch

I don't suppose the author, T.J. Coles, is a member here? He'd be an interesting contributor. :D
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Daniel Brandt
Critic

Re: Wikipedia and the Military-Intelligence Complex: How the Free Encyclopedia Feeds the National Security State from Wh

Unread post by Daniel Brandt » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:57 am

No discussion of Wikipedia's spooky side is complete without mention of Katherine Maher and her connections to U.S. foreign policy groups, including the National Endowment for Democracy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Maher

She was executive director of the Wikimedia Foundation from 2016-2021. Unfortunately, her Wikipedia bio fails to mention the NED.

https://www.ned.org/events/governments- ... urnalists/

The NED is massively funded by the U.S. intelligence sector. I know, because I indexed the NED's 1985 annual report in NameBase. Jimbo also knows, because he hangs out with Tony Blair.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

langlopedia (replaces long title)

Unread post by Bezdomni » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:43 pm

Hm. $25 for a self-published book called "We'll Tell You What to Think".

I'd love to see a TOC.

The docs he links to at the CIA site are interesting (but apparently you can't just hotlink to the docs, you have to patiently enter the doc name in the search box (without the file type suffix)... )

I recall that Counterpunch's entry got some Christmas day love from one of the house players back in 2017: maximized WaPo stuffing and 12K of "puff" removal so the misread stuff would stand out from the puff with its special new heading. The misrepresentation only got partially fixed more than 2 years later (§) and whoever it was who did that ( :D ) didn't even bother to fight over the "Russian disinformation" header... which I now see was eventually removed.
los auberginos

dotdash
Contributor

Re: Wikipedia and the Military-Intelligence Complex...

Unread post by dotdash » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:07 am

Poetlister wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:09 am
He'd be an interesting contributor.
If you like hearing about ChemTrails, then yes.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:57 am

dotdash wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:07 am
Poetlister wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:09 am
He'd be an interesting contributor.
If you like hearing about ChemTrails, then yes.
I put in the :D Smiley to indicate that I was joking. :facepalm:
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

dotdash
Contributor

Unread post by dotdash » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:23 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:57 am
I put in the :D Smiley to indicate that I was joking. :facepalm:
I did realise that, just wanted flag up that they were even more 'interesting' than the book synopsis might have suggested. Quite a character :blink: