Wikipedia Loves Love

Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
Giraffe Stapler
Habitué
kołdry

Wikipedia Loves Love

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Thu May 20, 2021 4:46 pm

Through some oversight, there isn't a "romance" section of the forum, so I will just post this here.
They Met Online. Through Wikipedia, That Is. (archive)
When Courtney Elizabeth Thurston and Matthew Paul Del Buono first met in person, they didn’t know each other as Courtney Thurston and Matthew Del Buono; they knew each other as IShadowed (T-C-L) and Shirik (T-C-L). Those were the aliases that Ms. Thurston and Mr. Del Buono used as contributors to Wikipedia.

The two got involved with Wikipedia around 2009 and 2010, when Ms. Thurston was a middle school student in Mechanicsburg, Pa., and Mr. Del Buono was starting a job as a software engineer for an aviation company in Hood River, Ore.
Ms. Thurston and Mr. Del Buono first met in real life in 2013, when they attended the wedding of two other Wikipedia contributors in New Jersey. At that point, Ms. Thurston and Mr. Del Buono were just acquaintances. But Ms. Thurston remembers being struck by Mr. Del Buono. “It felt really easy to talk to him,” she said.

They kept in touch. Their paths crossed again in 2014, at the annual Wikimania Conference, which was in London that year. They started talking more and more after that.

By the beginning of 2016, Ms. Thurston felt that the friendship had shifted.
Awwwwww.
Ms. Thurston moved in with Mr. Del Buono in Washington in 2019. Ms. Thurston, 23, is now a software engineer and Mr. Del Buono, 34, is a senior software engineering manager, both at Microsoft Azure. (The bride and groom work in different divisions.)
Congratulations to these two Wiki lovebirds!!!
It's probably better if you don't do the math. Who are you to judge, anyway?

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Re: Wikipedia Loves Love

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Thu May 20, 2021 8:01 pm

May their marriage function better than Wikipedia.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu May 20, 2021 10:26 pm

There's a t least one more such couple, as I'm sure some folks here already know, but they don't really discuss it publicly.

I kind of wondered what the level of hook-ups at meetups is. I'm old and balding and wear a wedding ring so nobody hit on me at either conference I've been to, but I imagine there is at least a little bit of it going on.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri May 21, 2021 1:22 am

Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 10:26 pm
There's a t least one more such couple, as I'm sure some folks here already know, but they don't really discuss it publicly.

I kind of wondered what the level of hook-ups at meetups is. I'm old and balding and wear a wedding ring so nobody hit on me at either conference I've been to, but I imagine there is at least a little bit of it going on.
Try wearing your mongoose costume next time...
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri May 21, 2021 5:06 am

Beeblebrox wrote:
Former foundation employee and throat-puncher Os "Ironholds" Keyes and current foundation employee Karen "Fluffernutter" Brown? ;)

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri May 21, 2021 7:59 pm

tarantino wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 5:06 am
Beeblebrox wrote:
Former foundation employee and throat-puncher Os "Ironholds" Keyes and current foundation employee Karen "Fluffernutter" Brown? ;)
If you're suggesting those two are a couple, I've met them both in person and I can assure that is not the case.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri May 21, 2021 8:40 pm

There's John Vandenberg and Siska Doviana. Did they meet through Wikipedia?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Fri May 21, 2021 9:10 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Ohhhhhhhh - you mean Laura Hale?

I don't think she (third from left) and Hawkeye7 (far left) were married. I'm not even sure they met through Wikipedia. They might have known each other before.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri May 21, 2021 9:30 pm

Ew, no, I don't know exactly what their relationship is or was and I'm not sure I want to.

I also didn't mean to start a gossip column here where people guess who I'm referring to but that's on me for not seeing it coming.

Funnily enough having this discussion has caused me to remember another example, some folks I got rather drunk with one night at Wikimania 2012, but again, they don't seem to publicly disclose it.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri May 21, 2021 10:08 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 7:59 pm
If you're suggesting those two are a couple, I've met them both in person and I can assure that is not the case.
Not now, no. But before Fluffernutter married Courcelles, she and Ironholds were an item.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Fri May 21, 2021 11:38 pm

tarantino wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 10:08 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
Not now, no. But before Fluffernutter married Courcelles, she and Ironholds were an item.
Some of the IRC behavior seems to be a result of young men having grown up playing networked video games in which they tried to out shock each other by turning around every insult into even more shocking bravado; girls in such environments accept abusive language to belong.

Sad!
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri May 21, 2021 11:52 pm

Moral Hazard wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 11:38 pm
tarantino wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:
Some of the IRC behavior seems to be a result of young men having grown up playing networked video games in which they tried to out shock each other by turning around every insult into even more shocking bravado; girls in such environments accept abusive language to belong.

Sad!
But mostly it's just shitty people being shitty behind feeble anonymity combined with a lack of consequences for shitty behavior. Wikipedia is FILLED with shitty people who will be shitty at the drop of a hat.

However, when the Eye of Sauron lands on them, they all seem to shrink.

I think it's unlikely that Oliver Keyes will be running his mouth on IRC about throat punching women any more...
And Scotty Wong won't be editing his employer's article any more...
And Laura Hale won't be applying for any more travel grants....
And Wnt won't post any more shooting videos...
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Without Comfort
Banned

Unread post by Without Comfort » Sat May 22, 2021 9:52 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 11:52 pm
Moral Hazard wrote:
tarantino wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:

Sad!
But mostly it's just shitty people being shitty behind feeble anonymity combined with a lack of consequences for shitty behavior. Wikipedia is FILLED with shitty people who will be shitty at the drop of a hat.

I think it's unlikely that Oliver Keyes will be running his mouth on IRC about throat punching women any more...
I think that Wnt video link was the Christchurch massacre, but the incident doesn't seem well documented here. I could only find it discussed in passing in the Wnt thread.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sat May 22, 2021 10:18 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 11:52 pm
Moral Hazard wrote:
tarantino wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:

Sad!

Concealed within his fortress, the lord of Wikipediocracy sees all.

His gaze pierces cloud, shadow, earth, and flesh.

You know of what I speak.

A great V, pitiless, wreathed in flame.
:flaming-v:
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sat May 22, 2021 11:09 pm

Without Comfort wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 9:52 pm
I think that Wnt video link was the Christchurch massacre, but the incident doesn't seem well documented here. I could only find it discussed in passing in the Wnt thread.
Well, there was the Christchurch video, but years before there was also posting a link on Jimbo's talk page to a video of someone being beheaded.

Then there was this comment when another editor suggested posting the video of someone being murdered and dismembered:
I should note that Wikisource is a text site; media material is kept on Commons. I disagree with Robofish's position - I don't believe that curiosity is evil - nonetheless it is represented by the Commons:Commons:Photographs of identifiable persons policy which rules out posting of videos taken in a private place without their consent, which is a component of his thinking. I would, however, like to see the kitten-and-python video, as it is probably quite educational, and may even be useful to Florida cat owners who I imagine don't know half the times it's happened to them. Wnt (talk) 18:42, 3 June 2012 (UTC)
So, Commons can't host the video because it's against policy, but let's upload that video the murderer made of a kitten being eaten by a python!

In another discussion about the same murder video The Garbage Skow (T-C-L) asks "I hope you're not suggesting we link to the video" and Wnt replies:
Indeed I am. Wikipedia is not censored, and we should value primary sources. This should not be seen as being amoral, but as having faith that providing information is a good thing. When that video was posted to bestgore.com, in 48 hours, the crime was solved (the police think) by those who had seen a different tape. Who knows if there's another tape out there somewhere, with a different crime still unsolved, which some Wikipedia reader following such a link will remember? Wnt (talk) 22:40, 4 June 2012 (UTC)
That's just from a quick search of Wikipedia. There's probably more like that if you look. Wnt was a total sociopath. I know this has strayed off topic from Wikipedia editors who have married, but it's worth remembering in case he pops up again.