Possible Useful Improvements to Wikimedia Software

We examine the less than successful stories of the Wikimedia Foundation to create and use technology. The poster boy for this forum is Visual Editor.
Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Possible Useful Improvements to Wikimedia Software

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:06 pm

At my friend Poetlister's suggestion in another thread, let me get the ball rolling.

Creating skins that change the appearance of the underlying software on-screen is no doubt regarded as boring monkeywork by software engineers, but it is the single easiest and best thing that can be done with little cost or controversy by WMF engineering to improve the Wikipedia using experience of millions of people.

I use the Cologne Blue skin. It's almost unimaginable going back to the Craigslist-flavored original recipe visuals at this point.

So: develop 10 new skins and publicize how to set them. If one becomes a rave favorite, take it to the communities to change the default view.

RfB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Randy from Boise on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Re: Possible Useful Improvements to Wikimedia Software

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:09 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:At my friend Poetlister's suggestion in another thread, let me get the ball rolling.

Creating skins that change the appearance of the underlying software on-screen is no doubt regarded as boring monkeywork by software engineers, but it is the single easiest and best thing that can be done with little cost or controversy by WMF engineering to improve the Wikipedia using experience of millions of people.

I use the Cologne Blue skin. It's almost imaginable going back to the Craigslist-flavored original recipe visuals at this point.

So: develop 10 new skins and publicize how to set them. If one becomes a rave favorite, take it to the communities to change the default view.

RfB
User facing switches to be able to disable any and all wmf provided software.
These should persist between sessions.

Automatically tagging any edit by any WMF employee/contractor/staff/board member/grant committee/affillitations committee member using their 'personal account' as a WMF employee edit.
May that tag searchable over all wiki spaces.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:55 pm

- A better edit filter that didn't require every single transaction to go through it.
- Better report generation capability
- A public watchlist to go with the private one
- the ability to have multiple watchlists
- replacement of incompetent WMF staff members with people who were qualified

Carcharoth
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Carcharoth

Unread post by Carcharoth » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:55 pm

A funny example of Wikimedia software (or bolt-ons?) that wasn't maintained and now is being argued over is here. Apparently the WMF get some of the money that PediaPress make by 'printing' and selling Wikipedia articles packaged as books. Who know? :blink: (the real eye-openers are the comments made by 'the maintainer of mediawiki2latex' [search for that to jump to it in the discussion]).

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:12 am

Carcharoth wrote:A funny example of Wikimedia software (or bolt-ons?) that wasn't maintained and now is being argued over is here. Apparently the WMF get some of the money that PediaPress make by 'printing' and selling Wikipedia articles packaged as books. Who know? :blink: (the real eye-openers are the comments made by 'the maintainer of mediawiki2latex' [search for that to jump to it in the discussion]).
That's rather surprising but it makes sense now why they haven't really gone after the pediapress folks for ripping off their content. as I have said before, the WMF is all about the money, so if someone's cutting them a piece of the action, they'll back off.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:20 am

Kumioko wrote:- A better edit filter that didn't require every single transaction to go through it.
- Better report generation capability
- A public watchlist to go with the private one
- the ability to have multiple watchlists
- replacement of incompetent WMF staff members with people who were qualified
:like: These are all good ideas. The last one doesn't even require any developers. However, we'd have to start with getting a good ED, and then sorting out the HR department. It might thus be far more difficult than the other ideas.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:35 pm

Carcharoth wrote:A funny example of Wikimedia software (or bolt-ons?) that wasn't maintained and now is being argued over is here. Apparently the WMF get some of the money that PediaPress make by 'printing' and selling Wikipedia articles packaged as books. Who know? :blink: (the real eye-openers are the comments made by 'the maintainer of mediawiki2latex' [search for that to jump to it in the discussion]).
Dirk Hünniger wrote:[...] closing the book feature might cause pediapress to stop all business activities in this field, which causes me to have a monopoly, which is the greatest thing you can get in capitalism.
:B'
los auberginos