Nihonjoe Has Been Naughty

Wikipediocracy blog posts
greenday61892
Contributor
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Greenday61892

Re: Nihonjoe Has Been Naughty

Unread post by greenday61892 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:13 pm

I'm getting kind of sick of nihonjoe leaning so heavily on the amount of edits he's done as if it absolves the problematic ones that got him in this situation in the first place. A judge isn't going to hear "well your honor I've lived 11,783 days and I only stole a car on two of them so I don't see what the big deal is" and say "you know what sir? You're right, have a good day. Case dismissed"

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:21 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:31 am
The Blue Newt wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:22 am
Vigilant wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:55 pm
"Please," squacked the baby Crow, "Who will sacrifice themselves for me?"
The thing is, this isn’t Crow’s fault, is it?
Asking someone to meatpuppet his utterings to WP:ANI is asking someone to fall on their sword for him.
Again, that isn’t really Crow’s doing. That is because a large number of wikipediots buy into knee jerk reactions to who said what where, rather than what was said.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:36 pm

greenday61892 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:13 pm
I'm getting kind of sick of nihonjoe leaning so heavily on the amount of edits he's done as if it absolves the problematic ones that got him in this situation in the first place. A judge isn't going to hear "well your honor I've lived 11,783 days and I only stole a car on two of them so I don't see what the big deal is" and say "you know what sir? You're right, have a good day. Case dismissed"
On Wikipedia it usually works, with one caveat, others have to say it about you, you don't say it yourself.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

greenday61892
Contributor

Unread post by greenday61892 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:41 pm

rnu wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:36 pm
greenday61892 wrote:
On Wikipedia it usually works, with one caveat, others have to say it about you, you don't say it yourself.
Which honestly drives me even crazier. At least if it's the person themselves doing it, we're only dealing with one asshole (ostensibly, anyhow); when someone else does it for them now we're deal with multiple/several

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:04 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:07 am
To review the Nihonjoe case: the edits were found to be pretty unproblematic, the lack of candor troubling, and the use of full protection buttons the main lasting issue.

It's completely ridiculous busting a bureaucrat all the way to tenderfoot based on the actual evidence presented at that particular lynching event.
You're in favor of allowing a baldfaced liar and self-promoter to maintain access to advanced permissions and positions supposedly reserved for those who have earned the community's trust?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:12 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:04 pm
Randy from Boise wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:07 am
To review the Nihonjoe case: the edits were found to be pretty unproblematic, the lack of candor troubling, and the use of full protection buttons the main lasting issue.

It's completely ridiculous busting a bureaucrat all the way to tenderfoot based on the actual evidence presented at that particular lynching event.
You're in favor of allowing a baldfaced liar and self-promoter to maintain access to advanced permissions and positions supposedly reserved for those who have earned the community's trust?
Well, that does seem to be a channeling of the prevailing sentiment, even if it doesn't match anything I see in Arbcom's actual conclusions about the case.

I thought The Kraken's close examination of a couple bad edits was interesting.

Again though: autoconfirmed indicates a person has a grasp of notability policy and can be greenlighted around an overburdened new article patrol — it's not an "advanced permission" in any meaningful sense.

t

ArmasRebane
Gregarious

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:17 pm

greenday61892 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:41 pm
rnu wrote:
greenday61892 wrote:
Which honestly drives me even crazier. At least if it's the person themselves doing it, we're only dealing with one asshole (ostensibly, anyhow); when someone else does it for them now we're deal with multiple/several
Eh, this is one of those cases where Wikipedia is just more transparent about a real-world behavior and lays the innate hypocrisy a little bit more plainly bare. People make excuses for their friends that minimize the damage in favor of their positive contributions all the time, it's just on Wikipedia you can put "objective" if meaningless metrics to them like "edit counts".

Wikiguy.DC
Critic
Wikipedia User: DC

Unread post by Wikiguy.DC » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:12 pm

Looking through Joe's page creations I think his COI editing goes much further than what was cited in the arbcom case. Sure, he got caught writing about the companies he has worked for, but see how many articles he has written about books by Mormon authors with ties to the AML or that sci-fi symposium where he teaches others how to edit Wikipedia.

greenday61892
Contributor

Unread post by greenday61892 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:14 pm

ArmasRebane wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:17 pm
greenday61892 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:41 pm
rnu wrote:
greenday61892 wrote:
Eh, this is one of those cases where Wikipedia is just more transparent about a real-world behavior and lays the innate hypocrisy a little bit more plainly bare. People make excuses for their friends that minimize the damage in favor of their positive contributions all the time, it's just on Wikipedia you can put "objective" if meaningless metrics to them like "edit counts".
But that's kind of my point. It's so obviously meaningless to anyone with a brain, but someone doing it for someone else spreads the visible cancer to more entities making it harder to fully excise.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:45 pm

Wikiguy.DC wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:12 pm
Looking through Joe's page creations I think his COI editing goes much further than what was cited in the arbcom case. Sure, he got caught writing about the companies he has worked for, but see how many articles he has written about books by Mormon authors with ties to the AML or that sci-fi symposium where he teaches others how to edit Wikipedia.
Before all of this started, I knew Nihonjoe existed but I had no opinion of their editing or their character. Once I started looking more closely at them I came to the conclusion that they were a dick. So I'm not surprised by their reactions to the ArbCom case. I am a little surprised that they get away with the fiction about how few of their many, many edits were tainted by conflict of interest.

Take a look at the second ever article created by Nihonjoe in 2005: Utah Speculative Fiction Council (archive from 2013). It lists as "member groups" three other things Joe Monson was involved in: Anime Banzai, CONduit, and LtUE. Who was the president of the Utah Speculative Fiction Council? According to this 2009 interview, it was someone name "Joe M".

I'm pretty sure no one bothered to send this articular example of COI to ArbCom. It's almost 20 years old, for one thing. For another, you can bet that Nihonjoe would say he wasn't "paid" for those edits. The supposed reason that paid editing is forbidden strongly discouraged is that paid editors are not seen as unbiased. What difference does it make if you are paid for promoting IBM or not paid for promoting your own 501(c)(3)? The bias is the issue. Sigh.

Yngvadottir
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Yngvadottir

Unread post by Yngvadottir » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:13 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:45 pm
The supposed reason that paid editing is forbidden strongly discouraged is that paid editors are not seen as unbiased. What difference does it make if you are paid for promoting IBM or not paid for promoting your own 501(c)(3)? The bias is the issue. Sigh.
Yes. The concern over companies and actual currency payments keeps washing out the fine details. Nihonjoe kept using "I wasn't paid to make that edit" as his excuse, most blatantly with the article he created while an employee, then moved to mainspace afterwards, but he gave the impression he believed COI policy only applied to paid editing in the strictest sense. At AN and again at ArbCom, including some Arbs, some editors kept getting side-tracked onto paid editing or argued as if that is the only problematic kind of COI editing. (I e-mailed someone about this and we talked past each other a few times; I don't think I should say who without their permission.) I get it that some people have always worked in a corporate environment and can't get their heads out of that (we see this also in the attempts led by the WMF to impose standards of polite discourse appropriate to offices, which a significant fraction of editors have never even worked in, and I'm being nice here by assuming that the US offices they're thinking of have similar conversational norms to offices in Melbourne, London, or New Delhi). I get it that some people are hung up on the evils of capitalism (it's extremely hard to get and keep an article on a company, paradoxically easier to get and keep a puff piece about the CEO because the Great Man theory makes biographies smell less). But Nihonjoe's COIs are an almost perfect illustration of the range of conflict of interest and how it extends far beyond payment specifically for SEO or even pumping up coverage of companies with which one is associated. It appears to be missing academic COI, but verges on it with the LDS writers, and I don't see anyone suggesting a family COI. (And in any case, Hemelein: he edited books, duh, he stands to gain from their being purchased and borrowed from the library, and furthermore he's held a prominent position at the publisher. Its being a small business doesn't make it less of a COI.)

Randy/Tim, he hasn't been "busted down", he's been removed from positions of trust. They aren't ranks in a supervisory structure, much less in the military. He showed such disrespect for the community and such dishonesty that ArbCom was forced to admit that one of their friends had lost the necessary basis of trust. Look at that AN discussion and you'll see me opining that his COIs were relatively trivial. When I read the blog post, I was underwhelmed. But the guy threw away every chance to come clean, and behaved reprehensibly in varying degrees throughout. (And reams of COI edits have come out and continue to come out.) He has the right to do a fresh RfA, and he hasn't lost his editing rights—no topic ban, nothing. His new articles are just subject to the usual more or less cursory sniff from the NPPers, and that's it. (And of course he can't any longer protect them on his preferred version.) He's proven me wrong and "Eddy Landwehr" right on the money. And I thought he had more class than to immediately start trying to get his hats back ... and when denied to argue that ArbCom didn't share the private evidence with him, after they took the unusual step of sharing a digest of it.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:32 pm

Come on.

The bits are all ranks.

Losing them is the kiss of death on en.wp.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:37 pm

Pending changes reviewer: denied

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:43 pm

rnu wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:37 pm
He's been VERY active since he posted the Wikibreak notice on his talk page the other day... weakest Diva Quit ever.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:45 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:43 pm
rnu wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:37 pm
He's been VERY active since he posted the Wikibreak notice on his talk page the other day... weakest Diva Quit ever.
Maybe he's taking a break from COI and PAID editing.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:53 pm

Bizarre turn of events. I hadn't noticed our old friend Travis Lee Bailey aka Ikip (T-C-L) posted a load of conspiracy gibberish on Nihonjoe's talk page back on the 9th, fishing for real life details about Beebs and diannaa (T-C-L).

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... 1218096830

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:02 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:53 pm
Bizarre turn of events. I hadn't noticed our old friend Travis Lee Bailey aka Ikip (T-C-L) posted a load of conspiracy gibberish on Nihonjoe's talk page back on the 9th, fishing for real life details about Beebs and diannaa (T-C-L).

That's "Travis Lee Bailey Esq." to you, sir!
Wikipedia closed down the entire Moscow metro for one year because i was alerting Wikipedians about these two.
I can honestly say that I did not know that.

sásamh
Contributor

Unread post by sásamh » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:07 pm

As my mother-in-law would say, "Have they no pride?"

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:12 pm

The smaller you are, the greater the benefit from being promoted on Wikipedia. To be able to have your products linked on Wikipedia while keeping the #1 search result for your own website, is a massive win win for any small business. Small companies with Wikipedia articles are always at risk of one scandal being immortalized forever.

Perhaps these basics of the modern world should be made clearer to those Wikipedia editors who seem to think Nihonjoe is the victim here. He either knew what he was doing at every stage, or he's too stupid to have ever been elevated to Bureaucrat.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Yngvadottir
Contributor

Unread post by Yngvadottir » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:11 am

Vigilant wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:32 pm
Come on.

The bits are all ranks.

Losing them is the kiss of death on en.wp.
I'm being naive again, aren't I? I still think they're ranks only in the Wikipedia MMORPG, or to those who see everything through a lens of ambition, and seek adminship for that reason. Yup, I don't think he's likely to regain adminship, and he's lost most of my respect. But my respect won't get you much, on or off Wikipedia. ArbCom had to be dragged kicking and screaming to even implement this Super Mario remedy. There wasn't a hope in heck of a topic ban. (As they laboriously argued themselves into realising, COI editing isn't actually forbidden, but he was dismissive and deceptive even at ArbCom, so they were forced to recognise he wasn't meeting standards for disclosure or admin conduct.) So his Wikipedia career is far from dead. He still has powerful friends, and a shiny badge from the WMF. And ArbCom are probably collectively praying they don't have to hear a broader LDS case before their terms are up.

Yngvadottir
Contributor

Unread post by Yngvadottir » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:16 am

rnu wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:02 pm
The Garbage Scow wrote:

Wikipedia closed down the entire Moscow metro for one year because i was alerting Wikipedians about these two.
Wow. I used to like Ikip/Okip, when he was all about countering deletionism. It took me a while to parse that statement about the Moscow Metro—he must mean blocked its IP range, not stopped the trains from running. (/me idly considers how much damage he and Kumioko could do to worldwide IP access if they worked together.) But still. That post is "off the hook".

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:30 am

What Travis Lee Bailey has become is very sad.
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:46 pm

In completely unrelated news, Travis Lee Bailey looks and sounds pretty rough these days.

https://youtu.be/kbBQn249tiY
A wannabe spy got a job at Utah government agency to find and send documents to Russia

See his reddit account for more sad stories.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:02 am

Well, we done voted for this new thing. How in the hell are we actually going to do it?!

Nice work ARBCOM...

Also, what are the new rules, asks nearly everyone.

:popcorn:
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:12 am

Vigilant wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:02 am
Well, we done voted for this new thing. How in the hell are we actually going to do it?!

Nice work ARBCOM...

New procedure: Flail.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:17 am

Zoloft wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:12 am
Vigilant wrote:

Nice work ARBCOM...

New procedure: Flail.
ARBCOM rendering their next decision via interpretive dance.

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:11 pm

tarantino wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:30 am
Giraffe Stapler wrote:

In completely unrelated news, Travis Lee Bailey looks and sounds pretty rough these days.

A wannabe spy got a job at Utah government agency to find and send documents to Russia

Among other things, he has cunningly outed my DanMurphy account as being operated by Dan Murphy. (Though it must be some other Dan Murphy who worked for National Geographic.) He has made that particular post about 50 times in the past month or so (I get a ping at Wikipedia every time he does it.) He was evidently insane before he was banned from Wikipedia. And the faithful rallied around him for years.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:58 pm

DanMurphy wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:11 pm
tarantino wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:30 am
Giraffe Stapler wrote:

Among other things, he has cunningly outed my DanMurphy account as being operated by Dan Murphy. (Though it must be some other Dan Murphy who worked for National Geographic.) He has made that particular post about 50 times in the past month or so (I get a ping at Wikipedia every time he does it.) He was evidently insane before he was banned from Wikipedia. And the faithful rallied around him for years.
He's always been batshit. He was much better at concealing it years ago.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:46 pm

DanMurphy wrote:
[...]

You should ask Primefac to oversight each and every instance of that OUTING.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:06 pm

rnu wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:46 pm
DanMurphy wrote:
[...]

You should ask Primefac to oversight each and every instance of that OUTING.
Is there a decent netkook repository these days? Useta be their was one on every virtual street corner.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:26 pm

At least he didn't confuse you with Don Murphy (T-H-L), who was an old friend of wikipedia review.

Dennis Brown
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Dennis Brown
Actual Name: Dennis Brown

Unread post by Dennis Brown » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:43 am

Vigilant wrote:

Nice work ARBCOM...

We don't want Arbcom making new policy, that is not their job. Their job is to arbitrate protracted problems that the community CAN'T solve, and find solutions that are equitable and put the interests of the Project first, using existing policy as a basis. Policy changes should happen by consensus of the entire community, not a handful of people that passed the low bar of becoming an Arb. There is no reason to believe that the community can't handle changing the policy. My entire input at Arb was to make sure they DIDN'T start making policy by fiat. I never once spoke as to Nijonjoe's innocence or guilt.
“I'd far rather be happy than right any day.” - Douglas Adams
"My patience is formidable.... But it is not infinite." - Scorpius (Farscape)

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:17 am

Dennis Brown wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:43 am
Vigilant wrote:

Nice work ARBCOM...

We don't want Arbcom making new policy, that is not their job. Their job is to arbitrate protracted problems that the community CAN'T solve, and find solutions that are equitable and put the interests of the Project first, using existing policy as a basis. Policy changes should happen by consensus of the entire community, not a handful of people that passed the low bar of becoming an Arb. There is no reason to believe that the community can't handle changing the policy. My entire input at Arb was to make sure they DIDN'T start making policy by fiat. I never once spoke as to Nijonjoe's innocence or guilt.
And you didn't want the WMF making rules and now you have the uCOCk.

If teh communitah won't step in and rewrite the rules, when they are clearly insufficient, then others will do that for you.

You guys can't even been seen to administer the rules the same for the 'highly permissioned' and everyone else.
It was incontrovertible that Joe got off easy.
If he had apologized early, he might have skated entirely.

Yngvadottir
Contributor

Unread post by Yngvadottir » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:08 am

Dennis Brown wrote:
The discussion at Wikipedia talk:Arbitration Committee/Noticeboard seems to have petered out after getting sidetracked into further discussion of how issues were raised on-wiki. Understandably enough, since it's a general section for discussion of the announcement of the case closure, and since the institution of a new VRT queue needs to be sorted out with the VRT admins (hope I'm using the correct terminology). But I don't really see the new policy; I see ArbCom fobbing off one of its responsibilities (being who editors e-mail with private evidence of what they suspect is COI editing). I may be being naive. I may be being even more naive in seeing this as a good thing; ArbCom appears to have been a black hole into which such reports vanished, with no way of knowing whether they'd been lost in transit, round-filed unread, forgotten as committee members waited for each other to respond or tried to decide who should investigate ... I figure it's an important thing that I'm glad the Keystone Kops are passing to someone else. (Also maybe I'm naive in thinking VRT folks are less likely to react to such a report by saying "Oh he's my bud, he can't be doing anything really bad" and more likely to say "Oops, friend of mine, pass on reviewing this one.")

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:24 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:17 am
[...]
And you didn't want the WMF making rules and now you have the uCOCk.

If teh communitah won't step in and rewrite the rules, when they are clearly insufficient, then others will do that for you.

You guys can't even been seen to administer the rules the same for the 'highly permissioned' and everyone else.
It was incontrovertible that Joe got off easy.
If he had apologized early, he might have skated entirely.
A few years ago the German constitutional court ruled that the laws regulating the elections for the Bundestag were unconstitutional (they gave an unfair advantage to big parties) and set a date until which a new law had to be in place so it could be vetted in time for the next elections. The government dragged its feet until in an extraordinary move the president of the constitutional court said in an interview that if the government won't write a new law the constitutional court will write one for them. That's why you need a strong independent judiciary.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:25 pm

Dennis Brown wrote:
Your turn to run for Arb, Dennis.

t

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:36 pm

rnu wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:02 pm
The Garbage Scow wrote:

He's been posting this same unhinged screed on and off for months...years maybe. I haven't bothered posting about it because it is just more evidence of what we already knew: he cray cray. :banana: :banana: (he also always says I'm a "former bureaucrat" which I guess is supposed to hurt my feelings...except that I never was one so it doesn't.) :toast:
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:40 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:25 pm
Dennis Brown wrote:

t
You got my vote. For what that's worth these days....

Yngvadottir
Contributor

Unread post by Yngvadottir » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:07 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:40 pm
Randy from Boise wrote:
t
Mine too. Along with Fram. And Beeblebrox, again.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:08 pm

Yngvadottir wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:07 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
t
And my shrug.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:08 pm

rnu wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:08 pm
Yngvadottir wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
t
And my shrug.
And my axe!!!

Wait... what are we doing?

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:45 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:08 pm
rnu wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:08 pm
Yngvadottir wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
t
And my shrug.
And my axe!!!

Wait... what are we doing?
One does not simply walk into arbitration. Its black gates are guarded by more than just admins. There is evil there that does not sleep. The great troll is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with really stupid disagreements,, bigots, and nationalists. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand editors could you do this. It is folly.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:16 am

I also think Beebs/GenericUserName should change his name again to TotallyNotBeeblebrox (T-C-L) and should run for Arb Com again.

That would be most excellent.

t

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:19 am

And you, Yngvadottir (T-C-L)!

t

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:25 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:19 am

t
"Vote for sanity for a change."

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:27 am

..........and it's a time for a return of New York Brad, who is, of course, the best Arb ever.

Fram would also be fun. Can you imagine the sound of WMF shitting bricks in quadraphonic stereo???

t

Yngvadottir
Contributor

Unread post by Yngvadottir » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:59 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:27 am
..........and it's a time for a return of New York Brad, who is, of course, the best Arb ever.

Fram would also be fun. Can you imagine the sound of WMF shitting bricks in quadraphonic stereo???

t
Quite. Every time I imagine Fram winning an ArbCom seat, new advantages come to mind. The only downside I can think of is that they'd be doing less of what they do.

On the other hand ...
Vigilant wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:25 am
Randy from Boise wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:19 am

t
"Vote for sanity for a change."
I appreciate the compliment, gents, but me? sane?? (Anyway, my utter unsuitability aside, I refuse to identify to the WMF; not effing safe.)

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:35 am

Yngvadottir wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:59 am
I appreciate the compliment, gents, but me? sane?? (Anyway, my utter unsuitability aside, I refuse to identify to the WMF; not effing safe.)
You don't need to identify. You just need to electronically sign the Wikimedia Foundation Confidentiality Agreement for Nonpublic Information.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:59 am

tarantino wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:35 am
Yngvadottir wrote:
You don't need to identify. You just need to electronically sign the Wikimedia Foundation Confidentiality Agreement for Nonpublic Information.
Yeah, see, now you've gotta do it!

t

Yngvadottir
Contributor

Unread post by Yngvadottir » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:30 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:59 am
tarantino wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:35 am
Yngvadottir wrote:
Yeah, see, now you've gotta do it!

t
Hmmm. The AKA is suggested but not required to be one's wallet name. I suppose one could cock a snook by using "Muggins" or "Editor McEditorface". I wonder whether they actually use the Phab e-mail for contact, or whether it can be a throw-away created for the purpose? "You are now legally bound" suggests a legal stinger hidden in those steps. But I wonder whether that's enough protection for Fram to go for it ...

Can't, sorry. Not even to demonstrate in response to the candidate questions how appallingly bad I would be at it.

But maybe we should have a split-off thread for the Dream ArbCom slate. :cthulhu:

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:28 am