Obvious paid editors are obvious

Discussion of financial interests of Wikimedia and companies who contribute, or simply spend money on a Wikipedia presence.
thekohser
Majordomo
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Re: Obvious paid editors are obvious

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:36 am

thekohser wrote:I've been sitting on this one for years.

Venndiagram8 (T-C-L)

She's a NYC-based social media strategist and content generator. I won't give her real name here, out of respect for concerns that Wikipediocracy is unnecessarily a "doxxing" site. But, I'll make this claim... If at least several of her major article contributions to Wikipedia were not in exchange for payment and undisclosed, I'll make a $50 donation to the Wikimedia Foundation. And the most recent big one, POBA - Where the Arts Live (T-H-L), was done without any disclosure of a conflict of interest, so what are we to conclude? That she just popped into Wikipedia after a month off, to create a fancy article from scratch? WP:AGF tells us that is what we should assume.

But I have evidence that says otherwise.

This is the problem with Wikipedia's Terms of Use regarding disclosure of paid editing. Anyone can get away with disobeying it, deny that they ever knew about the policy, and anyone who "outs" them looks like a bad guy, which I admit, that is how I look right now.
Her latest creation -- also not disclosed as paid editing: William Fisher (media executive) (T-H-L)

The catch 22 is that if any admin blocks her for repeated Terms of Use violations, then Wikipedia widens the gender gap.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:28 am

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:48 pm

The Wikimedia Foundation blog is always a great source for finding editors with a conflict of interest.

A recent post features Iolanda Pensa, researcher at SUPSI (T-H-L).

When you check in at the Wikipedia article about SUPSI, you see that 90% of it has been authored by: Iopensa (T-C-L). There's no disclosure of this COI on the article or on its Talk page; only on Pensa's user page.

The blog goes on to say that Pensa has also been working with Doual’art (T-H-L). Guess who created that article and has tended to it more than any other editor?
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:39 pm

Wikileaks has some stuff allegedly documenting Sony's Wikipedia editing.

E.g.

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/email ... cation=ufi
Re: Wiki
Hi David

We've done several updates to both your Wiki page and the American Hustle
Wiki page over the last couple of weeks. I have to mention, that it's not
an easy task because several times our changes are instantly changed back
by the Wikipedia editors. Here is where we are at this point:

To David¹s page:

· Added link to DavidORussell.com
· Created subsection for American Hustle, which originally pointed
to the standalone Hustle page
· Added synopsis of American Hustle
· Updated all of the Accolades (separately for GG noms/wins, AA
noms, and SAG wins)

To The American Hustle standalone page
· Attempted to trim spoilers from plot summary (changes rejected)
· Added accolades section (everything has been updated)

Let me know if you have any questions. We are all over it.

-Elias
https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/email ... cation=ufi :evilgrin:

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/?q=wi ... archresult
Re: Wikipedia
No
Sent on the run
On Mar 5, 2014, at 4:12 PM, "Askanas, Paula" <Paula_Askanas@spe.sony.com> wrote:
Here’s a look at Michael’s Wiki page, below. We could do one for you with as little or much information as you like. Doing it is a little complicated but I think you ‘deserve’ one. J
Others: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Moonves
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Greenblatt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Iger

As I mentioned, there’s an SPT page which needs updating and we’re working on that.

Michael Lynton
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Michael Lynton
Born
January 1, 1960 (age 54)
London, United Kingdom
Nationality
American, British, German
Occupation
CEO, Sony Entertainment Inc. Chairman and CEO, Sony Pictures Entertainment
Spouse(s)
Jamie Alter (3 children)
Michael Mark Lynton (born January 1, 1960) is an American businessman and the current chief executive officer of Sony Entertainment Inc.
h/t Phil Gomes, CREWE Facebook Group

Carcharoth
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Carcharoth

Unread post by Carcharoth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:16 pm

That's... disgraceful. Though not that surprising.

Actually, the world of television and film executives is something I've been pondering on recently in connection with a bit of editing I was doing over the weekend. Wikipedia is not loading for me at the moment for some reason (hope that's a general problem, not just me - bizarrely, it is en-wiki that is not loading, but de-wiki is fine), so I'll go into a bit more detail.

The 'editing' was actually putting lists in my userspace of the people invited over the past decades to give a series of memorial lectures organised by the UK's Royal Television Society. The most famous of these is the Huw Wheldon Memorial Lecture. All the people on this list have Wikipedia articles except one. Then I started to look to see if those who gave the other two memorial lectures had articles, and far fewer did. The Fleming Memorial Lecture included a number of TV executives of middling notability, and it got me wondering what Greg's views (and other's) would be on that topic, more specifically on why Wikipedia (i.e. its editors) don't seem to do well at writing about corporate topics in general.

One article that caught my attention in particular was this one: Barclay Knapp (T-H-L). Others in no particular order include Paul Fox (television executive) (T-H-L), Albert Scharf (de-wiki), Howard Stringer (T-H-L), Michael Jackson (TV executive) (T-H-L), Shaun Sutton (T-H-L), and Tom Gutteridge (T-H-L). Coverage does seem a bit hit-and-miss.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:39 pm

Carcharoth wrote:...it got me wondering what Greg's views (and other's) would be on that topic, more specifically on why Wikipedia (i.e. its editors) don't seem to do well at writing about corporate topics in general.
Are you kidding?

It's quite simple.

Ever since the summer of 2006, Wikipedia's co-founder Jimmy Wales has very publicly equated any sort of corporate self-authoring of content with "paid advocacy", "product shilling", and "PR puffery". He, and others, firmly held a belief that anyone who receives financial compensation from an entity cannot write in an objective fashion about that entity, in any humanly possible way. From the start, the relationship between corporate representatives and what Jimmy believed was the "neutral" and "volunteer" Wikipedia community, was painted in terms that were adversarial and damaging to any hope of productive consultation. Various loud-mouths like JzG and Ryulong jumped on that bandwagon and truly created an "us vs. them" environment.

What was the outcome? Many sensible people who would have liked to write about corporate topics decided that it was "forbidden", or that they themselves would become the subject of antagonistic scrutiny, so why bother? Other more savvy purveyors of public relations and corporate advocacy decided that Wikipedia could be "gamed", if one just didn't disclose who they represented -- and this fulfilled Wales' gravest concerns, of course. And, of course, there has been an ample dose of less-savvy paid copywriters, who thought they were following the appropriate rules and guidelines, but really they were not, and only the smaller companies and less-known personalities would seem to hire them.

In all, it's been a very messy 7 or 8 years of hostility between the corporate world and the Wikipedia world, and I do attribute at least 70% of that responsibility to how poorly Jimmy Wales handled it in 2006 and 2007.

Carcharoth
Habitué

Unread post by Carcharoth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:53 pm

Thanks, Greg. What puzzles me is how an article like 'Barclay Knapp' gets created and then abandoned. Do some parts of the corporate world just not bother with whether or not they have a Wikipedia article? From the other side of things, how much does corporate history get covered by academic and/or non-corporate sources? Writing about (and getting paid for) writing about current corporate stuff makes sense, but who would ever write about corporate history? Would anyone pay for that?

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:02 pm

Carcharoth wrote:Thanks, Greg. What puzzles me is how an article like 'Barclay Knapp' gets created and then abandoned. Do some parts of the corporate world just not bother with whether or not they have a Wikipedia article? From the other side of things, how much does corporate history get covered by academic and/or non-corporate sources? Writing about (and getting paid for) writing about current corporate stuff makes sense, but who would ever write about corporate history? Would anyone pay for that?
Corporate turnover.

Someone inside the corporation decides that they need an article.
They find someone to write it.
The corporate person moves on to another gig.
Nobody else either knows about the article or cares.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:08 pm

Carcharoth wrote:it got me wondering what Greg's views (and other's) would be on that topic, more specifically on why Wikipedia (i.e. its editors) don't seem to do well at writing about corporate topics in general.
There are many topics that hardly anyone is interested in writing about for free unless they have a direct stake (for or against) in that topic. Corporate life is just one topic area in which this applies to a particularly pronounced degree.

Practically no one is really interested in writing about companies unless they (1) work for them or (2) hate them.

Where people author their own articles, or ask a paid editor to do it for them, no one is really interested in keeping these articles honest if they're about some small to medium-sized enterprise. So there are tens of thousands of articles that read like thinly-disguised yellow pages advertisements: Hey, we are here, we produce such and such a product and/or provide such and such a service.

Carcharoth
Habitué

Unread post by Carcharoth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:35 pm

True, for existing corporations. But there must come a point when people start riffling through dusty tomes and writing histories. I was quite surprised to find a rare documents site selling a copy of one of the lectures I was looking up (for more than it would be sensible to pay!):

http://www.richardfordmanuscripts.co.uk ... BB%BF13207

The bloke giving the lecture than (back in 1980) was Andrew F. Inglis, President of RCA American Communications. RCA Americom (as it was known) is covered at SES Americom (T-H-L). There is an Andy Inglis (T-H-L) article on Wikipedia (I'll leave Greg to uncover how that came about), but nothing on the RCA Andrew Inglis.

It does highlight the difference between writing about someone in the middle of their career, and writing about someone decades after the events of their life.

EDIT: Having now looked at the edit history for Andy Inglis (T-H-L), that is a prime example of the sort of CV-type article Andreas was talking about, created by a throwaway SPA as well, with the catchy name of Ickywings (T-C-L).

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:33 pm

Carcharoth wrote:Thanks, Greg. What puzzles me is how an article like 'Barclay Knapp' gets created and then abandoned. Do some parts of the corporate world just not bother with whether or not they have a Wikipedia article? From the other side of things, how much does corporate history get covered by academic and/or non-corporate sources? Writing about (and getting paid for) writing about current corporate stuff makes sense, but who would ever write about corporate history? Would anyone pay for that?
A detailed, well-referenced history of a company would be a good cover for adding some contemporary puff.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:41 pm

Carcharoth wrote:True, for existing corporations. But there must come a point when people start riffling through dusty tomes and writing histories.
You mean something like this?

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:04 pm

From a friend, who was a very early employee of Rosetta Stone:
Must have been edited entirely by some company hack:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_Stone_(software)

Notice how there's no history of the company anymore? Yet throughout the text there are unexplained references to "Fairfield". I think this article "has some issues".
He's right, it's got the careful-paid-editor look, as well as being shredded. Mostly sorta-random IP addresses and SPAs, one after another.
Anoop.rajasekharan (T-C-L)
Rosettastonecompany (T-C-L) (blocked)
Adoapplemac (T-C-L)
12.233.23.178 (T-C-L)
Treespace (T-C-L)
Ravenofcalifornia (T-C-L)

And plenty more. You've gotta look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_St ... company%29 for the "history".
They aren't getting their money's worth....

Carcharoth
Habitué

Unread post by Carcharoth » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:44 am

thekohser wrote:
Carcharoth wrote:True, for existing corporations. But there must come a point when people start riffling through dusty tomes and writing histories.
You mean something like this?
I have no idea what point you are making there. I can see you started the article Jacobson's (T-H-L), and that over the following 10 years the article has been extended somewhat. Are you saying this is a good or bad thing? Or are you saying that just as some (me) say that you should only write about people when they are dead, the same principle applies to businesses and you should only write about them when they are history? Corporate take-overs and mergers make that difficult to do - I still get very confused when reading about the history of a company like GlaxoSmithKline (T-H-L), though to be fair that article has a very good account of the history.

Getting back to Andy Inglis (T-H-L), I see that not only was the article created and then abandoned, but that it is no longer up-to-date. He is no longer at Petrofac, and is at another company now. All this, and the news commentary around his departure from BP, is easily found. I am actually rather surprised that those writing on the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill article didn't find their way to this article to include the background here as well.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:32 am

Carcharoth wrote:I have no idea what point you are making there.
Maybe you're not trying hard enough?

Anthonyhcole
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Anthonyhcole

Unread post by Anthonyhcole » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:49 am

thekohser wrote:
I didn't get your point either. "Darn readers. Why don't they try harder?" tells me you've missed something important about good communication.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:59 am

Anthonyhcole wrote:
thekohser wrote:
I didn't get your point either. "Darn readers. Why don't they try harder?" tells me you've missed something important about good communication.
Carch and Anthony, are you both truly yearning for a "point" from my comment about Jacobson's, or are you both just critiquing my comment for the sake of criticism? If the former, I'll spend some time to make a point -- maybe even more than one! If the latter, then I guess my point is that certain Wikipedians can be really snide and bitter when I simply try to show an example of an editor who was happy to voluntarily create histories of defunct corporations, but was banned from Wikipedia.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:27 pm

The company I work for is looking into potentially subscribing to a number of analyst consultancies, one of which is Ovum Ltd. (T-H-L)

The article is plastered with a warning:
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. Please help improve it by removing promotional content and inappropriate external links, and by adding encyclopedic content written from a neutral point of view. (June 2014)
Let's look at some of its top contributors.

Ovum is headquartered in the UK (87.112.137.84 (T-C-L)), with an office in Dubai (94.203.95.10 (T-C-L)). The company was co-founded by Julian "Jules" Hewett (Jjhewett (T-C-L)). Claire Booty was the company's PR manager for 2.5 years (Clairebooty (T-C-L)). Before that, Alexander Zhitnitsky was a social media strategy intern for Ovum (Alex.zhitnitsky (T-C-L)). About the same time, Sophie Danby was a global operations manager at Ovum (SophieDanby (T-C-L)).

It's interesting to me that this article has had only one major reversion to attempt to unwind the (intentional or unintentional) promotional spin, and that was way back in 2011. But, if a Wikipediot spots a "paid editor", they will stop at nothing short of a completely defamatory article about the subject.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:25 pm

Nholman7 (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Nate Holman was Communications Writer for Syclo (T-H-L) in 2010
Disclosure: None
Unity of focus: 100%
Ever warned on Talk page: Some general warnings about affiliation and article deletion
Blocked: No

Another example of a little-viewed article (less than 40 page views per day), basically still in the form that the original employee wished it to be kept in. Congratulations on your "neutrality", Wikipedia.

Reason I found this article? I was a classmate with a Rich Padula, a namesake of the Padula mentioned in the Syclo article.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:47 am

Based off a tip from a user on The Escapist see edits related to Denver Comic Con (T-H-L) by Claywriting (T-C-L) and Tone Ellis (T-C-L). A lot of edits concern this action by it founders after they were removed from the group running it. Claywriting seems to correspond to Clayton Moore (site: claywriting.com) who is a staff writer for the convention with experience in consulting and PR. Tone Ellis is the name of the con's current head of communications.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu May 07, 2015 5:57 pm

I wonder if anyone will ever tip off the Wikipediots that Qedis (T-H-L) was not only written by its staff members, but also represents a company that no longer exists?

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Sat May 09, 2015 5:21 pm

Probably not paid, but self-promotion anyway: IOSGamer1 (T-C-L)

Likely COI: Probably Randall Herman, an independent game developer whose other work you might have heard of: link
Disclosure: None. All contribs were on December 6, 2013 which might have been before the change to the TOS.
Unity of focus: 75%. Of four contributions, three were to Zilm: A Game of Reflex (T-H-L).
Ever warned on talk page: No
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for products and services. (December 2013)
Right.

H/t to a certain weasel/ferret at ED. <3

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon May 11, 2015 4:18 pm

My employer is gaining a new CFO from The Carlyle Group (T-H-L). Thanks, Wikipedia!

Meanwhile, closing the gender gap is...

Jdejarnette (T-C-L), or Jordan DeJarnette:

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue May 12, 2015 1:16 pm

Considering that Jimbo's wireless company The People's Operator retains public relations firm, Alma PR, I did a little snooping to find that Alma PR also represents Safestyle UK (T-H-L). That article was created by Arunagrawal (T-C-L), who seems to be affiliated with the PR efforts of Safestyle. Then it was heavily edited by Safestyle (T-C-L), who when warned about his editing shot back with, "I have to say that for a site based on freedom of information, it is looking more like a dictatorship. The above warnings are old news..." Of course, Wikipedia began to give the company a warm welcome, with such praise as, "The company, and the bald twat who runs it, isn't notable beyond regional TV".

Safestyle is headquartered in Maidstone, so of course there's the obligatory hacksaw editing from a Maidstone IP address.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri May 15, 2015 7:46 pm

thekohser wrote:I see Emma Freud (T-H-L)'s head up there next to Jimmy's. Emma is big sister to Jimbo's wife's boss, Matthew Freud (T-H-L). Let no one say that Jimbo married a third time for professional and political connections. Also, let us be clear that Freud Communications (T-H-L) is in the category of companies with "Conflict-of-interest editing on Wikipedia".
Emma's apparently an exploiter of puppies. (Obviously, an overblown media thing.)

Jimbo's there to joke with her about it, though. All's well.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri May 15, 2015 7:49 pm

thekohser wrote:Emma's apparently an exploiter of puppies. (Obviously, an overblown media thing.)
A nation of petty, sniping busybodies. (You may quote me.)

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri May 15, 2015 9:18 pm

thekohser wrote:Emma's apparently an exploiter of puppies. (Obviously, an overblown media thing.)
An interest in dogs runs in her family. Her father, Sir Clement Freud (T-H-L), used to do adverts for dog food. He also voiced a dog in an all-star cartoon film called The Forgotten Toys.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue May 19, 2015 12:23 am

Manhasset, New York (T-H-L) looks as if it was written by local realtors, or perhaps the Chamber of Commerce (assuming one of the snobbiest places in America even has a "Chamber of Commerce"). The article is also amazingly lacking in citations.
The three Plandomes—Plandome, Plandome Manor and Plandome Heights—are in the north. Incorporated in 1911, the Village of Plandome is a tight knit community with frontage on Manhasset Bay, the village center with its village green, and the wooded hills area. Its c.1912 Village Hall, a local landmark at the Green, once served as an elementary school. Its own LIRR Station is no more than a mile away from each home in the village. Plandome Manor, incorporated in 1931, is a beautiful section of Manhasset with many water front properties and an area near the railroad station. Plandome Heights, incorporated in 1929, has a rich history of Spanish architectural styles of white stucco exteriors and red-tile roofs, bordering downtown (unincorporated) Manhasset.
The cream of Wall Street and some of NYC's oldest "moneyed" families live in Manhasset. And so does Bill O'Reilly. Because he's a Great Capitalist!

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue May 26, 2015 3:41 pm

Another vendor that my employer does some business with is Yoh Services‎ (T-H-L).

About 90% of that article was written in 2008 by single-purpose account, Batmansvoice (T-C-L).

Thankfully, Wikipedia doesn't allow advertising or link spam by corporations.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed May 27, 2015 1:10 am

Henk Buck (T-H-L), Henk Buck (T-C-L).

Not that anyone cares.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat May 30, 2015 8:55 pm

William Gazecki (T-H-L), Wgazecki (T-C-L)

From 2010. Tagged by Gwen Gale, who chased him off.
Wikipedia must be declining if no one cares about things like this.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun May 31, 2015 1:01 am

One I ran across today, when preparing a response to this idiotic Salon essay by John Palfrey.

Ginna Marston (T-H-L)

Written for her by her dad, Tomwsulcer (T-C-L). Thanks dad!

(Tom is apparently a friend of Palfrey's, and recently expanded his Wikipedia bio. Tom is also a friend of Larry Lessig's, and ditto. Tom also was the principal author of on Partnership for Drug-Free Kids (T-H-L), which employs his daughter. Tom's been doing a lot of COI editing--probably too much to list.)

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Sun May 31, 2015 6:27 pm

Nilfmonkey (T-C-L)

Probably Ryan Flynn.

Google+ page; Flynn “Nilfmonkey” Ryan

Currently 'Grants Officer at Friends-International'

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanaflynn

Just erased two of the three original founders from history.

The article now reads as an advertisement and qualifies for 'crap article' status.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:05 pm

Norwegian citizen of Palestinian origin Loai Deeb (T-H-L) started Global Network for Rights and Development (T-H-L).

Both articles were started by Jehad.jaghoub (T-C-L), who is not shy about who he is:
Dear Dai , Hope you are doing Great! i am Jehad.Jaghoub in Reality Jehad Jaghoub, the Chief Operating Manager at GNRD you can checkout here : http://gnrd.net/team.php my email address Jehad@gnrd.net . I already have it verified by Wikipedia you stoped my article "Global Network for Rights and Development (GNRD)" because of Copyright issue, while i am authorized by my organization - GNRD to publish this information on Wikipedia, i need your help if there is any way to resolve that. in case any paper or authorization letter are needed, please inform and they will be issued and sent to you.
Best, Jehad Jaghoub
..interestingly, Norwegian Økokrim, that is National Authority for Investigation and Prosecution of Economic and Environmental Crime in Norway (T-H-L) today raided the main office of GNRD in Stavenger (T-H-L), under suspicion of white-washing of millions. press, in Norwegian.

Hmm, somehow I suspect that mr Jehad Jaghoub is not so interested in updating the articles he created....?

<edit>A newspaper article from 2010 (also in Norwegian) writes that the education department reacted to a firm, calling itself "The Scandinavian University" (the first picture in the article is from the place this university is supposed to
be)...with the same address as the chair, Loai Deeb. His answer to the department is full of spelling mistakes.

...in short: smells like a diploma factory.

<edit>
Lol: his linkedin is ...special. He calls himself "dr.advokat at international low as" Education: University of Oslo (UiO)

Now, lawyer is "advocat" in Norwegian, but if you take you doctorate in law, say, at the University of Oslo, you become "dr. juris". There is no such title as "dr.advokat". I will be generous, and assume "low" is a typo for "law". AS is same as English Lmd.

..In February 2015, GNRD was given "consultative status" in the UN(!). "Svein Bæra" and "Vigdis Halvorsen" came up during the search for his linkedin...those two have lots of political influence (ms. Halvorsen is a former finance minister)...can anyone find any connection between Deeb and them?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:57 pm

thekohser wrote:Obornp (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Patrick Oborn, Founder of Telarus
Disclosure: User page identifies as Patrick Oborn, but Telarus barely mentioned
Unity of focus: Appears to be about 90% focused on the Telarus article, or adding commentary about Telarus to other companies' articles
Ever warned on Talk page: Mildly admonished for crufting up articles with obscure lists of "indirect channel partners"
Our buddies at Telarus named Comcast Business their top supplier for the third year in a row! Mr. Oborn no longer edits Wikipedia. And a "neutral" editor removed the advertising tag, so all is well.

(Note the interesting article creations by that "neutral" editor, too... There's no way that could be a paid editor, right?

:always:

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:01 pm

I see that Wikimania chose Eventbrite (T-H-L) to help organize their conference.

The Wikipedia article saw a back-and-forth dispute in the autumn of 2014 between an Eventbrite communications person (who, by the way, would be helping to close the gender gap on Wikipedia) and a guy affiliated with a competitor of Eventbrite's. Neither abided by the Wikimedia Foundation Terms of Use demand for disclosure. But both editors were welcomed to Wikipedia with templates on their Talk pages.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:15 pm

I read that former WMF executive, Sue Gardner, has appeared on the TV news interview show, The Open Mind (TV series) (T-H-L), based in New York City, at the CUNY-TV studio. Then I noted that Wikipedia's article about the show has largely been tended to by single-purpose IP addresses in New York City, and particularly at CUNY.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:12 pm

thekohser wrote:Lennartsvanberg (T-C-L) and Caroline.meyer89 (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Lennartsvanberg probable associate of or is himself Henrik Ekelund (e-mail contact at Ekelund's BTS Group is/was lennart.svanberg(at)bts.se), and Caroline Meyer is a marketing associate at BTS.
Unity of focus: Appear to be 95% focused on Henrik Ekelund (T-H-L) and BTS Group (T-H-L)
Ever warned on Talk page: Lennartsvanberg, once, for link-spamming; Caroline.meyer89, never
It's amusing that we signaled Wikipedia years ago about the article Henrik Ekelund (T-H-L), and how it was written by either him or his paid assistant. Still no flags on his article. Still no citation for the claim that he was Sweden's 2010 "Entrepreneur of the Year". Still getting only 2 or 3 page views per day. Quite literally a worthless (or harmless, depending on your perspective) spam article of the exact nature of the "OrangeMoody" crisis-of-nothing that has been splashed all over the media this week. It's just a great example that if the Wikimedia Foundation thinks they can get mileage out of an isolated case of "extortion", they'll blog about it. But if it's just yeoman reporting here on a Wikipedia criticism site, of pretty much the same phenomenon of undisclosed self-interested editing, it gets ignored.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:09 am

Spiffyandlogical (T-C-L)
Likely COI: I'm going to guess that they work at the Broad Institute
Ever warned on Talk page: No

See also: Vernickia (T-C-L)

Zironic
Gregarious

Unread post by Zironic » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:55 am

thekohser wrote:Still no citation for the claim that he was Sweden's 2010 "Entrepreneur of the Year".
He wasn't Sweden's 'Entrepreneur of the Year', he was the receiver of the Albert Bonnier Prize for Business Owner of the Year which is an award handed out by Dagens Industri. You can find him listed among the previous receivers here:

http://www.di.se/artiklar/2014/5/16/fam ... oretagare/

What's really, really weird is that for all other awardés, I can find the original di.se article where they receive the award but for some reason, there's no article on Henrik Ekelund. What I find interesting is that while his page got flagged and stubbed, no one has touched BTS Group (T-H-L) even though they're not exactly notable for the general public. All the citations go back either to their own homepage or stock listings and the like because as it turns out, most secondary sources are not interested in writing about strategy alignment and execution consulting services.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:34 am

“Dear Fat People” vlogger Nicole Arbour fails, spectacularly, to defend herself and her video on “The View”

Nicole Arbour (T-H-L)
Arbour is a former cheerleader for the Toronto Raptors
Rapsgirl23 (T-C-L)
Hello, Rapsgirl23, and welcome to Wikipedia! Thank you for your contributions.

I noticed that one of the first articles you edited appears to be dealing with a topic with which you may have a conflict of interest.
Yet she's been free to edit her biography since April 2009, right up until she's decided that she'd rather not have a biography on Wikipedia.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:58 am

The article Moonhole (T-H-L) has been written and maintained almost entirely by its property management folks, for years.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:04 pm

Bemanna (T-C-L)

Putting a welcome message on your own talk page... gee, that's subtle.

Doesn't seem like anybody noticed, though.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:36 pm

Hex wrote:Bemanna (T-C-L)

Putting a welcome message on your own talk page... gee, that's subtle.

Doesn't seem like anybody noticed, though.
But they're not active any more, so everything is just fine.

(No chance that they realized they can get more effective results by taking on new User names for different clients, thereby exposing the entire portfolio to less risk. No, no chance at all.)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:18 pm

Anna Kolakowska (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Employee of Bridgestone Europe
Ever warned on Talk page: Yes, by ClueBot, and also told by User:Widr that her original User name, Bridgestone Europe, was not acceptable

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:41 am

Rvenkauskas (T-C-L)
Unity of focus: 100% on band Rose's Pawn Shop (T-H-L) and Wakarusa Music and Camping Festival (T-H-L)
Ever warned on Talk page: No

Surely, that a Rebecca Venkauskas specialises in "Publicity and marketing for events, bands and the entertainment industry" is of course just a coincindence...

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:46 am

The Adversary wrote:Surely, that a Rebecca Venkauskas specialises in "Publicity and marketing for events, bands and the entertainment industry" is of course just a coincindence...
Closing that gender gap, every day.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:36 pm

Mavry21 (T-C-L)

Obviously is either Dave Logan or someone paid by Dave Logan.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:49 am

Kcmaher (T-C-L)

"Kcmaher is the Wikipedia profile for Kevin Maher, a lifetime NJ resident passionate about sports and travel."

Kevin Maher is also the Manager of Acquisitions for Lawyer.com, as his contributions to Wikipedia make very, very obvious.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:25 am

thekohser wrote:
The Adversary wrote:Surely, that a Rebecca Venkauskas specialises in "Publicity and marketing for events, bands and the entertainment industry" is of course just a coincindence...
Closing that gender gap, every day.
:dry: clearly, you don´t want me to participate on this subject. Point taken. Bye, bye.