Bitcoin goes down, down, down

Internet Fads, Fallacies, and GroupThink - and their influence on Wikipedia.
Information must be free, as is your hard work.
The Adversary
Habitué
kołdry

Re: Bitcoin goes down, down, down

Unread post by The Adversary » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:13 pm

DanMurphy wrote:He then told me I'd have to buy bitcoin first and he'd show me. I said no thanks.
What is the difference between this and the old Nigeria -scams? :blink:

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:52 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
DanMurphy wrote:He then said (not making this up): "You do not have a choice to see the truth differently, it just is the way it is; thats the nature of truth." He then went on to explain that I was an irrational and dogmatic thinker.
Sadly, I believe this. Difference: the Jehovah's Witnesses have had a century to refine their proselytizing methods in the face of endless hostile responses, especially to their door-to-door campaign. The Bitcoin nerds, like the open-source software and crowdsourcing fanatics, haven't been at it very long. So they merely look like arrogant fools.

(Mormon proselytizing has also been going on for more than a century, but it doesn't seem to be quite as well-organized. More like a "hazing ritual" for young males in the church. The Bitcoiner tried to "haze" you, Dan, you should feel "grateful" that he cared enough. :rotfl: )

I dunno about you, but any sane and careful investor who saw the "official Bitcoin price index" would say it was a scam. After peaking at more than $1000 late in 2013, it's been slowly trending downward. And the value crashed from $269 to $173 this week and is slowly recovering. A 35% loss in three days. If that were the Dow Jones, Wall Street people would be jumping out of their office windows right now.
Add into this all of the scams, thefts, the incompetence in running BitCoin 'banks' and the added NSA attention and nobody with two functioning brain cells would go near it.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:25 am

Even the Russian ruble is more stable than the Bitcoin.

If Bitcoin is considered rational (since it is promoted on RationalWiki), then I don't know what an irrational currency is (perhaps Monopoly money?).

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:12 am

Johnny Au wrote:Even the Russian ruble is more stable than the Bitcoin.

If Bitcoin is considered rational (since it is promoted on RationalWiki), then I don't know what an irrational currency is (perhaps Monopoly money?).
Some folk consider fiat money to be irrational currency. They also tend to believe that statute law and taxation and the 14th Amendment are unconstitutional, and so on.
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

Cedric
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Edeans
Wikipedia Review Member: Cedric
Actual Name: Eddie Singleton

Unread post by Cedric » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:28 am

greyed.out.fields wrote:

Some folk consider fiat money to be irrational currency. They also tend to believe that statute law and taxation and the 14th Amendment are unconstitutional, and so on.
Ah yes, the "fringe on the flag" people, or "fringies." They and the Bitcoin kooks have a lot in common.

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:20 pm

Cedric wrote:
greyed.out.fields wrote:

Ah yes, the "fringe on the flag" people, or "fringies." They and the Bitcoin kooks have a lot in common.
You've got some high quality loonies in the US. Do they all (fringies) believe all of it, or do different fringies believe different things?

If the second, what happens if two different fringie camps meet?
-----------
Notvelty

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:06 am

Notvelty wrote:
Cedric wrote:
greyed.out.fields wrote:

You've got some high quality loonies in the US. Do they all (fringies) believe all of it, or do different fringies believe different things?

The United States's Sacagawea dollars are high quality, as they are partially inspired by the loonie (as in the Canadian dollar coin, not the lunatic).

Cedric
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Edeans
Wikipedia Review Member: Cedric
Actual Name: Eddie Singleton

Unread post by Cedric » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:13 am

Notvelty wrote:
Cedric wrote:
greyed.out.fields wrote:

It's been many years now since I have come across any fringies, either directly or indirectly, but I believe they generally share all the particular beliefs you mention, plus they believe that there is no legitimately constituted government above the county level in the United States. Sometimes they are called "The Sovereigns," in that they like to refer to themselves as "sovereign citizens." Not all fringies have the exact same bundle of weird beliefs, but I am not aware of any significant divisions amongst them. They are probably far better known to the legal community in the US than to anyone else, due to their penchant for filing bizarre pro se lawsuits, usually against public officeholders. The US media rarely, if ever, takes any notice of them. They are more numerous than the parishioners of the Westboro Baptist Church, but far less entertaining and media-savvy.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:21 pm

Pen wrote: Image

I like THAT graph the best, it's like bitcoin is irresistibly attracted to do exactly what I said it would do.

hey, is it USA money that is green, or is that ENVY ?
Welp.
Bitcoin value March 2015.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:31 pm

Hex wrote:
Pen wrote:

hey, is it USA money that is green, or is that ENVY ?
Welp.
Bitcoin value March 2015.png
And, again. Everything new is old again.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:35 pm

DanMurphy wrote:And, again. Everything new is old again.
:D Just "despair" and "return to the mean" left to go, then...

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:38 pm

I'm pretty sure BitCoin is dead like disco.

Nobody who's watched it has any trust in any of the players.
It's scam after collapse after theft after incompetence.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:29 pm

Vigilant wrote:I'm pretty sure BitCoin is dead like disco.

Patrick Byrne wants to start a bitcoin stock exchange.

The Winklevoss twins want to start a bitcoin ETF.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:37 pm

there're a couple of idea men
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:10 pm

TungstenCarbide wrote:
there're a couple of idea men
They would, wouldn't they?

"The Winklevoss twins own an estimated 1% of all bitcoin"
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:53 pm

Just had a look at the "Bitcoin" article. North of 182,000 bytes, beyond unreadable/incomprehensible. It dwarfs every mainstream financial article that came to mind (I looked at ten - Bank, Credit card, US dollar, Bond market, Money supply, Currency, Finance, Wire transfer, Black-Scholes option pricing model, etc...) That's, of course, because the Wikipedia kiddies are interested in Bitcoin and not in the basics of markets and finance.

All of these articles on financial matters are dangerously wrong (some more than others) in part or in whole. The bits that aren't wrong , or confused, or fringe, are often just plain incomprehensible. I'm judging this on the standard of what, say, a 101 survey course would cover.

But it's an interesting example of the Wiki way. On the one hand, we have an article of intense interest and involvement (its last 50 edits date back to March 26) that is atrocious. On the other, we have the unloved and boring financial articles from the old world (the article on "Bank" has been edited 50 times since Dec. 9 and has had a "needs references" tag on it since 2009) that are also terrible. But, on balance, if the tender ministrations of the "Bitcoin" Wiki mob were turned to these basic financial topics of far greater importance and real world impact I'm convinced they'd be even worse.

Unsurprisingly, the second largest article I looked at was the one on Black-Scholes. It was half the length of the Bitcoin article.

Pray for the little girl in Africa. Someone is going to take her shirt if she relies on this stuff.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:23 am

Hyperinflation (T-H-L) is around 101kB.

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:34 am

Johnny Au wrote:Hyperinflation (T-H-L) is around 101kB.
Won't Argentina feel special.

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:54 am

tarantino wrote:
Vigilant wrote:I'm pretty sure BitCoin is dead like disco.

Patrick Byrne wants to start a bitcoin stock exchange.
Well, if anyone can.. he has built a business on selling stuff no one wanted.
-----------
Notvelty

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:13 am

DanMurphy wrote:Just had a look at the "Bitcoin" article. North of 182,000 bytes, beyond unreadable/incomprehensible. It dwarfs every mainstream financial article that came to mind (I looked at ten - Bank, Credit card, US dollar, Bond market, Money supply, Currency, Finance, Wire transfer, Black-Scholes option pricing model, etc...) That's, of course, because the Wikipedia kiddies are interested in Bitcoin and not in the basics of markets and finance.

All of these articles on financial matters are dangerously wrong (some more than others) in part or in whole. The bits that aren't wrong , or confused, or fringe, are often just plain incomprehensible. I'm judging this on the standard of what, say, a 101 survey course would cover.

But it's an interesting example of the Wiki way. On the one hand, we have an article of intense interest and involvement (its last 50 edits date back to March 26) that is atrocious. On the other, we have the unloved and boring financial articles from the old world (the article on "Bank" has been edited 50 times since Dec. 9 and has had a "needs references" tag on it since 2009) that are also terrible. But, on balance, if the tender ministrations of the "Bitcoin" Wiki mob were turned to these basic financial topics of far greater importance and real world impact I'm convinced they'd be even worse.

Unsurprisingly, the second largest article I looked at was the one on Black-Scholes. It was half the length of the Bitcoin article.

Pray for the little girl in Africa. Someone is going to take her shirt if she relies on this stuff.
May I quote you, sir? 'Cos you're quotable.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:37 am

Johnny Au wrote:Hyperinflation (T-H-L) is around 101kB.
And (surprise) has several serious errors!
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:20 pm

Bitcoin has been doing better lately. The European Union;s Court of Justice has ruled that it is for practical purposes a currency. This led to a favourable article in The Economist. Probably because of this, there has been a huge price rise; at one point it topped $500, and while it has fallen again, it is still much higher than it was earlier this year.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:17 pm

Is anyone still following bitcoin? It has just topped $11,000 for the first time in 18 months.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:33 am

Poetlister wrote:Is anyone still following bitcoin? It has just topped $11,000 for the first time in 18 months.
You had better buy some, it sounds like a super great investment opportunity!!!

RfB

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:29 pm

Still in the news.....

I have been watching :blink: from the side-lines the ups and down of Bitcoin these last two years.

Frankly, I don' t understand one bit why it took off as to did.

Then, last week I was talking with a guy I know (=fully vaccinated, I am starting to move around again).

Now, this guy is quite conservative (fully supporting the 2003 Iraq invasion, donating to the IDF, etc), alas, he had become a total Bitcoin-believer. According to him, he had spent "ten thousands of hours" on Bitcoin. But, he added; he was quite irritated with himself, as he had only discovered Bitcoin....in 2020. :hmmm:

According to him: Bitcoin could take over the financial markets from Dollars, Euro, Pound etc. And how great wouldn't Bitcoin be for that Zimbabwean farmer, who, because of inflation would loose his money if he had it in the local currency? And for all the poor people who could not have a bank-account? (Yeah, right; somehow when openly conservative people argue how much poor people will profit from their schemes: alarm-clocks got off in my head)

Me: but every one of us can start a new Bitcoin; there are now around 10000 cryptocurrencies, what is the value of Bitcoin then?
Him: But Bitcoin will always be the safest, as that was started first!
Me: :facepalm:

I walked away with the impression that I had talked with a newly religious convert; discussing with him reminded me of discussing with Hare Krishna-people...when I was 18.

When this sect implodes, we will have a financial tsunami.

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Unread post by rhindle » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:56 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:33 am
Poetlister wrote:Is anyone still following bitcoin? It has just topped $11,000 for the first time in 18 months.
You had better buy some, it sounds like a super great investment opportunity!!!

RfB
It got to at least $55K not too long ago but has crashed to around $33K. I put a tiny bit of money into it just because but not gonna invest my life savings. I do agree with Adversary's points though.

el84
Gregarious
Actual Name: Andy E

Unread post by el84 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:26 pm

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:18 pm

There's a nice graph here. Yes, it was around $10,000 a few months ago, shot up to over $60,000 and is now down to $33,000. Certainly it's not a safe bet, and I shan't be touching it with a bargepole, but since it is the largest and best-known cryptocurrency, many others are even riskier.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:13 pm

Surprisingly, Rockdale, Texas (T-H-L) bears no trace of the largest bitcoin mine in the US, which has taken over the premises of what was once the world's largest aluminium plant... (§)

los auberginos

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:46 am

Well, bore no trace. Thanks to one of our diligent readers, there are now two *.wp documenting the dizzying spread of the modern tulip bulble. :B'
los auberginos

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sat May 14, 2022 1:20 am

Crypto investors panic during market bloodbath
Crypto investors panicked on Thursday as bitcoin plummeted to its lowest price in more than a year and other cryptocurrencies endured even worse sell-offs.

Victims of the bloodbath — which comes amid a broader stock market rout — range from the billionaire crypto titans who run leading marketplaces such as Coinbase and Binance to lowly retail investors who have poured their life savings into cryptocurrencies.

“I lost over 450k usd, I cannot pay the bank,” reads one of the top posts on the Reddit forum for Terra Luna, a cryptocurrency that has lost more than 99% of its value over the past week. “I will lose my home soon. I’ll become homeless. suicide is the only way out for me.”

“My ex-colleague attempted suicide,” reads another top post on the forum. “He basically moved all of his savings to crypto in 2021 and LUNA was a massive player in his portfolio.”

While Luna’s collapse is the most spectacular, other cryptocurrencies are also in freefall. Bitcoin was trading around $28,300 Thursday afternoon, down 20% over the past week and nearly 60% lower than its all-time high of $69,000 in November 2021. Other major cryptocurrencies including ethereum and solana are now worth fractions of their all-time highs.

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Unread post by rhindle » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:13 pm

Anyone still gonna "buy the dip?"

LargelyRecyclable
Muted
Wikipedia User: LargelyRecyclable

Unread post by LargelyRecyclable » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:21 pm

rhindle wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:13 pm
Anyone still gonna "buy the dip?"
Crypto, in its current state, isn't an investment vehicle, so there's just no underlying value to buy at a discount.

I know you're being sarcastic, but day/swing trading crypto over the past couple of years has been really nice for me. That said, anyone looking to do that right now is nuts. I've been out for the past three or four months just because there's nothing to tether trades to; no pun intended.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:09 am

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:38 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:09 am
OFAC Around and Find Out

:rotfl:
There's a familiar name popped up in that article. And it appears to be the same DG.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:43 pm

eppur si muove wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:38 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:09 am
OFAC Around and Find Out

:rotfl:
There's a familiar name popped up in that article. And it appears to be the same DG.
He's always the turd in the punchbowl.