Google to delete accounts that haven't been logged into in two years

Internet Fads, Fallacies, and GroupThink - and their influence on Wikipedia.
Information must be free, as is your hard work.
Ming
the Merciless
kołdry

Google to delete accounts that haven't been logged into in two years

Unread post by Ming » Wed May 17, 2023 7:27 pm

Here's the story: Google will start deleting inactive accounts after two years

Here's Googles notice: Updating our inactive account policies

Of course Google's rationalization for this is bogus. The real reason, surely, is what the AT article posits: getting riding of the need to store all this old stuff. And the reality is, there's a lot. And Ming has to think that the real issue is Youtube, as there are undoubtedly tons of accounts which put up a bunch of videos years back and then went away, so a lot of awesome old stuff is going to disappear. And the message, as usual, is to Never Rely On the Cloud. If you want something, download it and make copies. Anything else you will eventually lose.

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Re: Google to delete accounts that haven't been logged into in two years

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Wed May 17, 2023 8:09 pm

Ming wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 7:27 pm
Here's the story: Google will start deleting inactive accounts after two years

Here's Googles notice: Updating our inactive account policies

Of course Google's rationalization for this is bogus. The real reason, surely, is what the AT article posits: getting riding of the need to store all this old stuff. And the reality is, there's a lot. And Ming has to think that the real issue is Youtube, as there are undoubtedly tons of accounts which put up a bunch of videos years back and then went away, so a lot of awesome old stuff is going to disappear. And the message, as usual, is to Never Rely On the Cloud. If you want something, download it and make copies. Anything else you will eventually lose.
Your suggestion that this is primarily about YouTube storage makes sense, and thinking about it is quite logical. I can understand deleting all of the old videos with a handful of views that make youtube no money and cost a boatload to store, but it seems strange to delete all of the old viral videos from inactive accounts that still probably make YouTube money. I agree with your assessment about never relying on the cloud for long-term storage.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Wed May 17, 2023 8:23 pm

It's going to annoy people who have lost friends and relatives and like to occasionally access their videos etc.

ScotFinnRadish
Regular
Wikipedia User: ScottishFinnishRadish
Actual Name: Stephen Root Vegetable

Unread post by ScotFinnRadish » Wed May 17, 2023 8:57 pm

I can't imagine that Google even notices the cost of hosting old YouTube videos. Storage is dirt cheap, especially on the scale Google's cloud uses it.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Wed May 17, 2023 9:53 pm

ScotFinnRadish wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 8:57 pm
I can't imagine that Google even notices the cost of hosting old YouTube videos. Storage is dirt cheap, especially on the scale Google's cloud uses it.
Nothing is that cheap if you need enough of it. Also, the infrastructure to address all that storage and feed it out isn't free either.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Wed May 17, 2023 10:25 pm

Yahoo did this too, about 3 years ago (I think), so I guess the fact that hardly anyone noticed when they did it shows just how far the mighty have fallen.

My impression at that time, which could easily be wrong, was that they wanted us to believe their tech-support crew were having to handle too many requests from new users wanting existing usernames — presumably based on their having no comments or discussion posts anywhere, and/or not replying to e-mails, or... something.

Anyway, they're saying Twitter is going to do this too, and other Big Platforms won't be far behind, so the Washington Post says to start archiving everything now. And by the way, still no word on whether or not Wikipediocracy will do another lurker-purge in the near future. But obviously, it's always more fun for us when these things come as a complete surprise, at least to the lurkers. :evilgrin:

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Wed May 17, 2023 10:57 pm

Looks like YouTube videos will not be included in this purge. Maybe.

Ars Technica: Google’s new “inactive account” policy won’t delete years of YouTube videos

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed May 17, 2023 11:03 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 10:25 pm
Yahoo did this too, about 3 years ago (I think), so I guess the fact that hardly anyone noticed when they did it shows just how far the mighty have fallen.

My impression at that time, which could easily be wrong, was that they wanted us to believe their tech-support crew were having to handle too many requests from new users wanting existing usernames — presumably based on their having no comments or discussion posts anywhere, and/or not replying to e-mails, or... something.

Anyway, they're saying Twitter is going to do this too, and other Big Platforms won't be far behind, so the Washington Post says to start archiving everything now. And by the way, still no word on whether or not Wikipediocracy will do another lurker-purge in the near future. But obviously, it's always more fun for us when these things come as a complete surprise, at least to the lurkers. :evilgrin:
In general, I don't purge lurkers. I purge people who never log in after registering. I did a few times purge people who logged in without posting but had not even logged in for a year or so. Inactive accounts are a minor security risk.

Y'all have secure passwords and change them once in a while, right?

Edit: I dropped a new list of never-used accounts in the mod forum.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Thu May 18, 2023 7:21 am

The old adage still rings true: There is no cloud, only someone else's computer. Some people tried to argue against this by saying "well, the computers used for the cloud are completely different from ours", but all along it was the "someone else's" part that was really the point.
Always improving...

Lurking
Contributor

Unread post by Lurking » Thu May 18, 2023 10:12 am

Someone else's computer, just one you can access from basically anywhere in the world. Means it makes for a pretty good backup in many cases, but a terrible place to host the only copy of something.

Then again, nowhere is a good place to host the only copy of anything digital you would mind losing. If losing it would matter at all, back it up. And if losing it would matter more than just being a minor inconvenience, back it up in multiple places.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri May 19, 2023 1:55 am

I had an interesting argument about this a few years back. A friend asked me if I backed up my computer with cloud storage, and was appalled when I said I backed it up with a separate hard drive. He seemed to think that was a crazy risk that could end with me losing my backups.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri May 19, 2023 2:37 am

Beeblebrox wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 1:55 am
I had an interesting argument about this a few years back. A friend asked me if I backed up my computer with cloud storage, and was appalled when I said I backed it up with a separate hard drive. He seemed to think that was a crazy risk that could end with me losing my backups.
As opposed to giving them to some corporate cloud provider?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri May 19, 2023 3:35 am

Imgur is going to delete rarely viewed content or stuff uploaded by people without an account. It's used in around 3000 posts here.

And remember when we all used webcitation.org to archive before archive.today or archive.org would work on demand? All that content is lost.

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Fri May 19, 2023 3:39 am

tarantino wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 3:35 am
Imgur is going to delete rarely viewed content or stuff uploaded by people without an account. It's used in around 3000 posts here.

And remember when we all used webcitation.org to archive before archive.today or archive.org would work on demand? All that content is lost.
Apparently Something Awful has worked to archive most if not nearly all of the imgur content. https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/8/23713 ... to-hosting I agree that archiving sites other than archive.org are unlikely to persist in the medium-long term, given the infrastructure required to maintain such a database.
Last edited by Hemiauchenia on Fri May 19, 2023 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Fri May 19, 2023 4:02 am

Lurking wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:12 am
Someone else's computer, just one you can access from basically anywhere in the world. Means it makes for a pretty good backup in many cases, but a terrible place to host the only copy of something.

Then again, nowhere is a good place to host the only copy of anything digital you would mind losing. If losing it would matter at all, back it up. And if losing it would matter more than just being a minor inconvenience, back it up in multiple places.
It's not even about losing it. I'm not a privacy nut but it's pretty interesting all these cloud companies are deleting old content only after they've already been scraped for data collection and AI purposes.
Always improving...

Lurking
Contributor

Unread post by Lurking » Fri May 19, 2023 4:48 am

Konveyor Belt wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 4:02 am
Lurking wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:12 am

It's not even about losing it. I'm not a privacy nut but it's pretty interesting all these cloud companies are deleting old content only after they've already been scraped for data collection and AI purposes.
Both are pretty relevant concerns, I think, which one more so depending on context. But yeah, the timing is interesting all right.

wiki-reviewer
Critic
Actual Name: Jake Sherman

Unread post by wiki-reviewer » Sat May 20, 2023 2:48 pm