Distortion field

Jimbowatcher's paradise
Hex
Retired
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Scott

Distortion field

Unread post by Hex » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:46 pm

Jimbo's Sole Flounder status was briefly challenged, but someone has leapt to the rescue - of course. diff only

:deadhorse: -_-
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

dogbiscuit
Retired
Wikipedia User: tiucsibgod

Re: Distortion field

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Hex wrote:Jimbo's Sole Flounder status was briefly challenged, but someone has leapt to the rescue - of course. diff only

:deadhorse: -_-
Love reading the diff:
Latest revision as of 06:20, 29 January 2014 (edit) (undo)
ImperfectlyInformed (talk | contribs)
m (Undid revision 592917962 by Jinkinson (talk) Dude... chill out and leave this space in peace.)

== You can edit this page! ==
Of course that leads us to what the page says:
You can edit this page![edit]

Wikipedia is yours. I trust you.
Become a faithful editor in the public interest!
Really, you can! If you would like to, please feel free to do so. Make an edit! Make several edits! After all, that is what Wikipedia is all about.
I like to keep it a certain way (simple and free from anything that requires a div tag, style, or template) but the thing is, I trust you. Yes, I really do! I trust that you'll add something here that makes me really smile, that informs me, or that helps to inform many others.
But then of course, Jimbo does not really trust us, because he goes on....
But please, don't vandalize.
Over 3,000 Wikipedians monitor my user and user talk page via a watchlist, and I trust them to edit and remove errors or attacks. This is a wiki, so (apart from bad faith alterations and vanadlism) visitors are welcome to edit.
Time for a new signature.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:43 pm

dogbiscuit wrote:But then of course, Jimbo does not really trust us, because he goes on....
And really, as you point out, there it is...

I think that page has said that for many years, and Jimbo couldn't see the irony if he tried, probably.

"Hey, you can edit here, anyone can, we love it - but try and put one foot over our line, you bastards, and we're watching you... Welcome."

Bit long for a motto, but someone could work it up.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:49 pm

Jim wrote: "Hey, you can edit here, anyone can, we love it - but try and put one foot over our line, you bastards, and we're watching you... Welcome."

Bit long for a motto, but someone could work it up.
EVERYTHING NOT FORBIDDEN IS COMPULSORY
The Once And Future King - TH White.
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/futureking/section3.rhtml
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:40 pm

But please, don't vandalize.
Over 3,000 Wikipedians monitor my user and user talk page via a watchlist, and I trust them to edit and remove errors or attacks. This is a wiki, so (apart from bad faith alterations and vanadlism) visitors are welcome to edit.
Did Jimbo really make that mistake, or was it a piece of "vanadlism" missed by those 3,000 editors monitoring the page?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:40 pm

Mr. Jinkinson (T-C-L) appears to have something on his mind. A couple of weeks earlier, this: diff
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:42 pm

Hex wrote:Mr. Jinkinson (T-C-L) appears to have something on his mind. A couple of weeks earlier, this: diff
That's amazing. And he wasn't blocked. Sock of an insider, of course.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:16 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Hex wrote:Mr. Jinkinson (T-C-L) appears to have something on his mind. A couple of weeks earlier, this: diff
I doubt it. He appears to be a 19-year-old college kid in Alabama.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:22 am

Hex wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
I doubt it. He appears to be a 19-year-old college kid in Alabama.
Jimmy is busy doing other things for the cause:
This is not a signature.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:29 am

Hex wrote:I doubt it. He appears to be a 19-year-old college kid in Alabama.
A 19-year-old college kid in Alabama who fights with others over anti-vaccination articles, pseudoscience, autism, global warming, and creates scores of articles about obscure medical journals? And created the bio of David "MastCell" Gorski, a consummate Wikipedia insider and troll, and dedicated defender of Mathsci? "Replete with difficult-to-find references." Two months after appearing on Wikipedia for the first time (under this name anyway).

And what does Gorski like to troll on WP (and on his blogs) about? Vaccination, pseudoscience, and global warming, of course.

If Jinkinson's a 19-year-old college kid, he's got some powerful friends. And he's specifically creating loads of content to make them happy.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:15 pm

EricBarbour wrote:If Jinkinson's a 19-year-old college kid, he's got some powerful friends.
That's scarcely an unknown phenomenon on Wikipedia.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:11 pm

Jinkinson has definitely got something on his mind.

Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Kat Walsh (T-H-L)

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:24 pm

"Obvious keep - seems pretty silly to try to delete this, even before all the references were added. We don't need to artificially follow all the picayune rules when we know that WMF Chairs are notable to our readers." - Smallbones.

"Your smug condescension is not conducive to an adult discussion. This person bio will be held to the notability standards of this project just as anyone else's bio would be ... This is purportedly an encyclopedia not a clubhouse for our buddies, so yes, we do have to follow the project's rules here." - Tarc

Right now, I'd say it's no consensus so since it's a BLP, it should be deleted.

dogbiscuit
Retired
Wikipedia User: tiucsibgod

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:39 pm

Poetlister wrote:"Obvious keep - seems pretty silly to try to delete this, even before all the references were added. We don't need to artificially follow all the picayune rules when we know that WMF Chairs are notable to our readers." - Smallbones.

"Your smug condescension is not conducive to an adult discussion. This person bio will be held to the notability standards of this project just as anyone else's bio would be ... This is purportedly an encyclopedia not a clubhouse for our buddies, so yes, we do have to follow the project's rules here." - Tarc

Right now, I'd say it's no consensus so since it's a BLP, it should be deleted.
Smallbones falls into the trap that many a Wikipedian falls into: readers of Wikipedia - millions; vs Teh Communtah - a few hundred. Only a small group of people are interested in the goings on at the WMF - and of course they have their own wiki where they are quite capable of hosting a hagiography more appropriately than en.wikipedia.

Yet again a Wikipedian demonstrates a fundamental failure to appreciate that the readership is an entirely different demographic than the editors.
Time for a new signature.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:08 pm

dogbiscuit wrote: Yet again a Wikipedian demonstrates a fundamental failure to appreciate that the readership is an entirely different demographic than the editors.
That ol' autistic spectrum again.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:34 am

"This is purportedly an encyclopedia not a clubhouse for our buddies, so yes, we do have to follow the project's rules here." - Tarc
Well, then, go and delete most of these articles and these articles, you nitwit.
And don't forget this list.

You're there just to troll, aren't you, Tarc?

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:08 pm

EricBarbour wrote:Well, then, go and delete most of these articles and these articles, you nitwit.
And don't forget this list.

You're there just to troll, aren't you, Tarc?
To be fair to Tarc, I think it's beyond his abilities to do that. And he is making a valid point!

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:39 am

The article was redirected to Wikimedia Foundation.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:58 pm

EricBarbour wrote: Well, then, go and delete most of these articles and these articles, you nitwit.
For your reference, I had a look through both of those and most of them seem to be notable for other reasons beyond Wikipedia/WMF. On the other hand, two of them struck me as not doing so, and for that reason I've started Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Achal Prabhala (2nd nomination) (T-H-L) and Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Michael Snow (attorney) (2nd nomination)‎ (T-H-L).

Note to any lurking Wikipedians: this is not "canvassing". I was not recruited to any cause of trying to delete WMF-related biographies by Eric's comment quoted above; I came to this conclusion based on my own reading of these articles and checking them for compliance with Wikipedia's notability guidelines. Likewise, I am not asking anyone reading this post to rush over to those AfDs and vote "delete". If anyone reading this does cast a vote for deletion, it should be on the basis of their own reading and checking of my rationales for deletion having convinced them that doing so would be the right course of action. Which, of course, is how everyone should be approaching AfDs in general.

It's a sad state of affairs when I have to include a disclaimer like that, but them's the breaks I guess.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:25 pm

Hex wrote:For your reference, I had a look through both of those and most of them seem to be notable for other reasons beyond Wikipedia/WMF. On the other hand, two of them struck me as not doing so, and for that reason I've started Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Achal Prabhala (2nd nomination) (T-H-L) and Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Michael Snow (attorney) (2nd nomination)‎ (T-H-L).
Best of luck. Don't be surprised if WMF employees show up to vote keep.
Note to any lurking Wikipedians: this is not "canvassing". I was not recruited to any cause of trying to delete WMF-related biographies by Eric's comment quoted above; I came to this conclusion based on my own reading of these articles and checking them for compliance with Wikipedia's notability guidelines. Likewise, I am not asking anyone reading this post to rush over to those AfDs and vote "delete". If anyone reading this does cast a vote for deletion, it should be on the basis of their own reading and checking of my rationales for deletion having convinced them that doing so would be the right course of action. Which, of course, is how everyone should be approaching AfDs in general.
They should, but they often don't, of course. IRC canvassing seems to work better than anything else, including being right.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:56 pm

Hex wrote:Note to any lurking Wikipedians: this is not "canvassing". I was not recruited to any cause of trying to delete WMF-related biographies by Eric's comment quoted above; I came to this conclusion based on my own reading of these articles and checking them for compliance with Wikipedia's notability guidelines. Likewise, I am not asking anyone reading this post to rush over to those AfDs and vote "delete". If anyone reading this does cast a vote for deletion, it should be on the basis of their own reading and checking of my rationales for deletion having convinced them that doing so would be the right course of action. Which, of course, is how everyone should be approaching AfDs in general.

It's a sad state of affairs when I have to include a disclaimer like that, but them's the breaks I guess.
Except it is "canvassing", because as Wikipedia defines that term "canvassing" is any mention of any "non-vote" vote on Wikipedia in any place where it can be seen by others who cannot be trusted not to mention that you've done so to anyone else. You're supposed to post such comments only to private mailing lists, secret IRC channels, and other similar places. Posting them where anyone can see them (like on an Internet message board) is, without any doubt, canvassing. Simply put, any attempt to bring attention to a "non-vote vote" by people who aren't supposed to be participating in it is canvassing, and by Wikipedia standards anyone participating in Wikipediocracy is pretty much the antithesis of someone who should be participating in Wikipedian democracy. Furthermore, your disclaimer proves your own guilt.

Remember, in Wikipedia everything is simultaneously prohibited, permitted, and required, all depending on who your friends and enemies are at any given moment.