For discussions on privacy implications, including BLP issues
owl be it
Regular
kołdry
Actual Name: 12345
Nom de plume: 4

Re: WP:MANDY

Unread post by owl be it » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:33 am

I'm just curious -- what is everyone here's opinion on accounts? Do you love them? Or do you not love them? Perhaps you have the complete opposite view... would love to get some opinions here!
The artist formerly known as Yeet Bae...

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:36 am

Two of the participants in this topic are using not identical IP addresses, but shall we say, of the form 123.45.6X.XXX which when analyzed, are from the same provider in the same large metropolitan area.

:popcorn:

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Boing! said Zebedee
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Boing! said Zebedee

Unread post by Boing! said Zebedee » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:45 am

Zoloft wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:36 am
Two of the participants in this topic are using not identical IP addresses, but shall we say, of the form 123.45.6X.XXX which when analyzed, are from the same provider in the same large metropolitan area.

I wonder, do we have a problem?

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:53 am

Boing! said Zebedee wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:45 am
Zoloft wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:36 am

I wonder, do we have a problem?
link

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

IhateAccounts
Contributor
Wikipedia User: IHateAccounts
Actual Name: I won't be deadnamed

Unread post by IhateAccounts » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:48 pm

LOL.

I've got a dream job interview, was lucky enough to be able to keep up my 2nd job commissions remotely while I take it, and with any luck get to move permanently soon or else establish a good remote job.

Thanks Boing Said Zebedee for finally admitting to being the owner of the account that was sending me harassing emails, that helps quite a bit now that I can put a name to who harassed me. I also notice you tried to deliberately misgender me to get me to react angrily, but I'll leave it at my noticing what you did there.

Beeblebrox, if you tell me you didn't know what Boing Said Zebedee was doing, I'll apologize for thinking you were part of Boing's harassment campaign.

And thanks as well to SkepticAnonymous for the apology. It's meaningful to hear it.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:42 pm

IhateAccounts wrote:Thanks Boing Said Zebedee for finally admitting to being the owner of the account that was sending me harassing emails...
I don't believe he actually admitted to being the "owner" of the account in question, and indeed that's a potentially libelous (though common, in these sorts of contexts) accusation. It's the sort of thing we might very well strike if "an accusation" turns out to be all it is.

At the same time, however, I don't believe Mr. Boing provided us with a clear explanation for his references to having "examined" the account, which was first asked for in this earlier post by Mr. iii:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:25 pm
iii wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:13 pm
I think that you should offer a bit more than a vaguewave at "when I examine that e-mail account".
All in good time. As I say, I think it is fair to give IHA time to respond first.
So... can we now say that Mr. Accounts has, in fact, responded? I can't imagine Mr. Boing is going to tell us that he actually did send the e-mails in question, but it would be nice if this point were properly clarified.

watis
Critic

Unread post by watis » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:57 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:42 pm
iii wrote:
I think that you should offer a bit more than a vaguewave at "when I examine that e-mail account".
All in good time. As I say, I think it is fair to give IHA time to respond first.
So... can we now say that Mr. Accounts has, in fact, responded? I can't imagine Mr. Boing is going to tell us that he actually did send the e-mails in question, but it would be nice if this point were properly clarified.
Boing quoted the account's password in a prior message, which was an exceptionally easy one to brute-force. I assume he did that.
This account is abandoned and the posts on it are no longer endorsed.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:14 am

watis wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:57 am
Midsize Jake wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:42 pm
iii wrote:
Boing quoted the account's password in a prior message, which was an exceptionally easy one to brute-force. I assume he did that.
Well, I assume Boing just tried typing in the most obvious passwords. Probably got in on the first try. I am certain they didn't "brute-force" anything. I am sure that Boing will show up to tell us that they did not send those emails and only became involved with the account after IHA posted about it here.

Moneytrees
Critic
Wikipedia User: Moneytrees

Unread post by Moneytrees » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:03 am

I was going to write something more about how the "accusation" is obviously nonsense and untrue, but then I realized this is attention seeking bait. At least IHA has essentially admitted that they were just trolling the whole time.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:32 am

watis wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:57 am
Ah, you mean this post — which could have been stated more clearly, but okay, fair enough. It's still not quite proof that they're both/all the same person, but I can see why the WP folks would come to that conclusion, since Texas only has 29 million people in it.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:22 am

IhateAccounts posted the latest time with a brand new shiny IP address after 55 times with a different one.

:applause:

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Boing! said Zebedee
Gregarious

Unread post by Boing! said Zebedee » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:03 am

IhateAccounts wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:48 pm
Thanks Boing Said Zebedee for finally admitting to being the owner of the account that was sending me harassing emails...
And, what, Beeblebrox shared the details of the dialog you had with ArbCom so I could include them in the messages? Did you get the idea from Without Comfort's suggestion to Beeblebrox "If they are willing to claim you did the whole thing with Boing, then I suppose they still aren't technically at a dead end."?

You are beyond pathetic.

I have made it clear that the account had a very simple-to-guess password, "ihateaccounts", which I guessed on the third attempt. I've been keeping the precise details back until I saw what response IHA might come up with next, but I'm happy to share now. Here's a couple of images, explanation in the next message...

Last edited by Boing! said Zebedee on Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Boing! said Zebedee
Gregarious

Unread post by Boing! said Zebedee » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:16 am

So, the log shows...

Sign in Feb 27, 2021, 19:45
Sign out Feb 27, 2021, 19:46

And I've attached the message sent Feb 27, 2021, 19:46

You can see that nobody attempted to log in again until Jun 28, when I made one quick attempt and guessed incorrectly. Then I tried again on Jun 29 and guessed correctly on the second attempt that day.

All the other emails alleged to have been sent from this account are clearly faked, as nobody logged in and sent them at the alleged times.

Now, I might have faked all of this, making up images of faked protonmail account logs, etc. I'll leave it up to the audience to decide which of us is more likely to be lying/trolling.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:09 pm

:mic drop:
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

iii
Habitué
Wikipedia User: ජපස
Wikipedia Review Member: iii

Unread post by iii » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:31 pm

IhateAccounts wrote:
LOL.

I've got a dream job interview, was lucky enough to be able to keep up my 2nd job commissions remotely while I take it, and with any luck get to move permanently soon or else establish a good remote job.
That's great! So maybe you can move on from this stuff? I don't think this is worth it.
Thanks Boing Said Zebedee for finally admitting to being the owner of the account that was sending me harassing emails, that helps quite a bit now that I can put a name to who harassed me. I also notice you tried to deliberately misgender me to get me to react angrily, but I'll leave it at my noticing what you did there.

Beeblebrox, if you tell me you didn't know what Boing Said Zebedee was doing, I'll apologize for thinking you were part of Boing's harassment campaign.
I have a hard time believing that you really thought that Boing was admitting to being the owner of the account. I don't think anyone reading this thread would have made that assumption, but if that's what you thought I guess this idea has been disabused at this point. I myself had assumed that Boing had done something like what he copped to doing and while it technically falls under a strict definition of "hacking", it's not going to really turn heads at a site like this one.

IHA, you seem to be focused on a lot on things that don't matter in the context of returning from a block. Maybe that's just the way you're functioning right now. That's fine, but if that's not really your state of mind or it's not what you actually want, then I would say that you're going to need to alter course. I'm happy to help with that, but the current jolly fun time circus happening in this thread is a whole lot of distraction.

It does, however, remind me of certain Wikipedia Review drama of yore, so it's nice to know that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Stay safe out there!

Boing! said Zebedee
Gregarious

Unread post by Boing! said Zebedee » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:42 pm

iii wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:31 pm
I have a hard time believing that you really thought that Boing was admitting to being the owner of the account.
IHA obviously didn't believe that, because IHA is the owner of the account and the faked abusive emails were never sent - so IHA couldn't possibly think I sent them. No, there's nothing but deliberately dishonest behaviour here.

iii
Habitué

Unread post by iii » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:05 pm

Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:42 pm
iii wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:31 pm
I have a hard time believing that you really thought that Boing was admitting to being the owner of the account.
IHA obviously didn't believe that, because IHA is the owner of the account and the faked abusive emails were never sent - so IHA couldn't possibly think I sent them. No, there's nothing but deliberately dishonest behaviour here.
Meh. Aside from the little bit of assuming facts not in evidence here, the implications of what it would be if IHA controlled the account were obvious enough to me way back when... as were the implications of some third-party Texan e-mailing IHA hate mail.

But I feel like this is a distraction from what I wanted to be the larger point of my last post -- that stories like this attract unreduced drama gods regardless of who did what when and how. My interest continues to be in the at-least-one human being here who seems ostensibly interested in mucking about on the website that is the ultimate muck-about website.

Wikipediocrats entertain all sorts of grunters who have done all kinds of "dishonest behaviour", so I don't find it disconfirming any more than I found my political disagreements with SashiRolls to be disconfirming. If the mods prefer to pass judgement, I'm sure they will.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:23 pm

I find the lack of artisanship in his trolling somewhat depressing.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

iii
Habitué

Unread post by iii » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:53 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:23 pm
Some people troll for the lulz. Some troll out of fury. I always find myself sympathetic with the latter... provided the fury is understandable. There is an underlying fury in this story that I find understandable.

I know you've looked at the archived IHA tweets. They are angry and inartfully try to hit where it hurts. But the key point for me is that IHA seems to know where it hurts (at least for some).

Artful trolls, I have found, neither deserve nor desire sympathy.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:11 am

iii wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:53 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:23 pm
Some people troll for the lulz. Some troll out of fury. I always find myself sympathetic with the latter... provided the fury is understandable. There is an underlying fury in this story that I find understandable.

I know you've looked at the archived IHA tweets. They are angry and inartfully try to hit where it hurts. But the key point for me is that IHA seems to know where it hurts (at least for some).

Artful trolls, I have found, neither deserve nor desire sympathy.
:crying:

Without Comfort
Banned

Unread post by Without Comfort » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:02 am

IhateAccounts wrote:
LOL.

And thanks as well to SkepticAnonymous for the apology. It's meaningful to hear it.
I'm glad you got the apology you wanted. I hope your job interview goes well. :)

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:43 pm

iii wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:05 pm
No, there's nothing but deliberately dishonest behaviour here.

Wikipediocrats entertain all sorts of grunters who have done all kinds of "dishonest behaviour", so I don't find it disconfirming any more than I found my political disagreements with SashiRolls to be disconfirming. If the mods prefer to pass judgement, I'm sure they will.
I'm a bit puzzled as to why I keep getting pseudo-checked in this thread. I don't think you're suggesting I engaged in any "dishonest behaviour," but I could be wrong.
los auberginos

iii
Habitué

Unread post by iii » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:53 pm

Bezdomni wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:43 pm
iii wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:05 pm
No, there's nothing but deliberately dishonest behaviour here.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why I keep getting pseudo-checked in this thread. I don't think you're suggesting I engaged in any "dishonest behaviour," but I could be wrong.
Oh, I don't think that you've done much in the way of dishonest behaviour. Rather, the point is that WPO makes for strange bedfellows. Assuming that IHA was "dishonest" or whatever, I don't think that's disconfirming for offering help and support. Nor do I think your erstwhile ideological support for anti-elitism is necessarily disconfirming for collaborations between thee and me.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:39 pm

Ah. Sorry for the sudden surge of insecurity after the third mention. :facepalm:

As for I and Thou (T-H-L), I hope you don't mind if I read that as a Taoist rather than a Quaker invitation...
los auberginos

orangepi
Gregarious
Wikipedia User:

Unread post by orangepi » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:19 am

Some troll tried to bring this to WP:BN (T-H-L). Not sure why. I suppose it is always interesting what the Grunters and Hooters are up to.

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:31 am

orangepi wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:19 am
Some troll tried to bring this to WP:BN. Not sure why. I suppose it is always interesting what the Grunters and Hooters are up to.
The writing style makes me strongly suspect it's Crow

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:29 pm

And by 'writing style' he means 'the frothing at the brain and lack of intelligence on display'....

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:04 pm

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:31 am
Yep. Although the fact that he didn't identify Wikipediocracy makes me wonder.

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:59 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:04 pm
Hemiauchenia wrote:
Suprised he hasn't made a thread about it already on the "Wikipediocracy talk" section of Wikipedia Sucks, under his new username "Jake Is A Sellout". I have no idea why he's on a new account, was the original one banned?

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:33 pm

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:59 pm
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Hemiauchenia wrote:
Suprised he hasn't made a thread about it already on the "Wikipediocracy talk" section of Wikipedia Sucks, under his new username "Jake Is A Sellout". I have no idea why he's on a new account, was the original one banned?
I think it's important to him that people know that Jake is a sellout. Not a complete sellout, but at least a midsize sellout. Crow seems like the type of person who keeps a list of people he intends to kill. Jake is probably somewhere well below "guy on the tube who looked at me funny" and "editors of the Guardian".

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:46 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:33 pm
Hemiauchenia wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:59 pm
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Hemiauchenia wrote:
I think it's important to him that people know that Jake is a sellout. Not a complete sellout, but at least a midsize sellout. Crow seems like the type of person who keeps a list of people he intends to kill. Jake is probably somewhere well below "guy on the tube who looked at me funny" and "editors of the Guardian".
Crow's Dead Pool
Take a number, stand in line.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:57 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:33 pm
Oh dear. For his own safety, Jake needs to change his name. How about calling himself Jimmy Wales? :mellow:
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:25 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:57 pm
Oh dear. For his own safety, Jake needs to change his name. How about calling himself Jimmy Wales? :mellow:
Naah, that's too close to my real name.

Guerillero
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Guerillero

Unread post by Guerillero » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:53 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:22 am
IhateAccounts posted the latest time with a brand new shiny IP address after 55 times with a different one.

:applause:
Fun Times at Wikipedia High

skepticanonymous
Contributor
Wikipedia User: SkepticAnonymous
Actual Name: Nick Flores

Unread post by skepticanonymous » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:13 pm

im still not lying, but now someone did something so i cant even ask for help or try to reach dragonfly6-7 on the wikipedia help channel. fucking rude bullshit the way you treat former military.

skepticanonymous
Contributor
Wikipedia User: SkepticAnonymous
Actual Name: Nick Flores

Unread post by skepticanonymous » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:14 pm

ive been gone from wikipedia since 2017 and i am not ihateaccounts. stop lying about me.

arkon
Critic
Wikipedia User: arkon

Unread post by arkon » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:15 pm

skepticanonymous wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:14 pm
ive been gone from wikipedia since 2017 and i am not ihateaccounts. stop lying about me.
You know, I don't think anyone cares. Y'all (if distinct) are just larpers.

L00sr
Contributor

Unread post by L00sr » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:47 am

skepticanonymous wrote:
:deadhorse: no1 iS g0nNa bElieVe u :deadhorse:

owl be it
Regular
Actual Name: 12345
Nom de plume: 4

Unread post by owl be it » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:54 am

skepticanonymous wrote:
:rotfl:
The artist formerly known as Yeet Bae...

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:00 pm

skepticanonymous wrote:
Nobody cares.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:11 pm

skepticanonymous wrote:
I rather think that this thread can be closed.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:19 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:11 pm
I rather think that this thread can be closed.
I guess you're right... :hrmph:

Still, we did learn that some people have a perfectly valid reason for hating accounts, beyond the usual concerns about data mining and privacy violations. I myself have to admit that I'm less fond of them now than I was when the thread started.

:lock: