Can U4C who the first ones will be?

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Gitz
Contributor
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Gitz6666

Can U4C who the first ones will be?

Unread post by Gitz » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:33 am

I know, I should refrain from making puns in a language I barely speak...

The election process for the U4C has begun. Here are the candidates and here are the questions they have been asked so far.

Candidates from en.wiki are a curious group of editors: 0xDeadbeef, Barkeep49, JogiAsad, Khunou S, Sleyece, Soni, SpringProof, ugwulebo - some experienced, some unexperienced, some on the brink of an indefinite block (e.g. here).

I don't know many of them. I guess Barkeep49 and perhaps 0xDeadbeef have a better chance? And what about Soni? I've never met them before but I particularly liked their answer to my question.
Gitz

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: Can U4C who the first ones will be?

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:51 pm

Gitz wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:33 am
I know, I should refrain from making puns in a language I barely speak...

The election process for the U4C has begun. Here are the candidates and here are the questions they have been asked so far.

Candidates from en.wiki are a curious group of editors: 0xDeadbeef, Barkeep49, JogiAsad, Khunou S, Sleyece, Soni, SpringProof, ugwulebo - some experienced, some unexperienced, some on the brink of an indefinite block (e.g. here).

I don't know many of them. I guess Barkeep49 and perhaps 0xDeadbeef have a better chance? And what about Soni? I've never met them before but I particularly liked their answer to my question.
One of them left Wikipediocracy in quite a huff, and they were the only WPO member AFAIK. Oh well.
Deadbeef wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:49 am
Fuck this place. Can I request my account be deleted from this forum now?

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:37 pm

Doesn't Barkeep49 have enough on his plate being the Head Prefect and Chief of Policy of English Wikipedia? Or is that why he's running, to ensure the homeworld is not contaminated by dangerous ideas emanating from far flung planets riven by lawlessness?
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Gitz
Contributor

Unread post by Gitz » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:03 am

Kraken wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:37 pm
Or is that why he's running, to ensure the homeworld is not contaminated by dangerous ideas emanating from far flung planets riven by lawlessness?
That would be an excellent question to ask all candidates: why did you apply? Are you eager to apply UCoC to other projects that can't manage on their own or do you want to prevent outsiders from sticking their noses into your home business?
Gitz

Banderas22
Contributor

Unread post by Banderas22 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:15 pm

This Sleyece fellow is absolutely fascinating. He has this very LaRouche vibe. I'm going to vote for them in hope they get elected simply because it will take the wind out of the sails of the UCC to have this character among its illustrious tribunes.

Pelican
Contributor

Unread post by Pelican » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:21 pm

Banderas22 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:15 pm
This Sleyece fellow is absolutely fascinating. He has this very LaRouche vibe. I'm going to vote for them in hope they get elected simply because it will take the wind out of the sails of the UCC to have this character among its illustrious tribunes.
Yeah, no kidding. His candidate page from I assume before people started actually reading it is something to behold.
Sleyece wrote:I know every policy on English Wikipedia, and I frequently make Admins eat their words because I know the policies better than most of them do.
Can you say shoo-in?

redbaron
Critic

Unread post by redbaron » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:31 pm

Kraken wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:37 pm
Doesn't Barkeep49 have enough on his plate being the Head Prefect and Chief of Policy of English Wikipedia? Or is that why he's running, to ensure the homeworld is not contaminated by dangerous ideas emanating from far flung planets riven by lawlessness?
BK49 has been involved with the U4C process for quite a while. I guess he (and a few more last-minute entrants) applied due to an excess of not-quite-qualified candidates.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:55 am

Pelican wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:21 pm
Banderas22 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:15 pm
Yeah, no kidding. His candidate page from I assume before people started actually reading it is something to behold.
Sleyece wrote:I know every policy on English Wikipedia, and I frequently make Admins eat their words because I know the policies better than most of them do.
Can you say shoo-in?
They are the model of a modern major general committee member.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Gitz
Contributor

Unread post by Gitz » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:40 am

So it turns out that we voted for the Charter with the Giant Typo (but would you call it a typo since someone put it there on purpose?). Yet the drafting committee decided to remove it, and they did, but by mistake it remained in the Glossay, at the bottom of the Charter, the part written in small font (I'm joking) that nobody reads (not joking). And the community voted and ratified the Charter, so the Giant Typo is there and not so easy to correct with a little copy editing...

The Giant Typo reads
no more than two members [of the U4C] can be elected from the same home wiki

Ouch! I suspect that en.wiki users will be particularly annoyed by this incident. :D

Here Barkeep49 raises the issue.

Gitz
Contributor

Unread post by Gitz » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:15 pm

Two voting guides: this by MarioGom and this by Giraffer.

Apparently there are not 16 "good" candidates and some of them are quite bad. Among the good ones, there's at least one I really don't trust, but under the circumstances you can't be too picky, I guess.
Gitz

Jester
Contributor

Unread post by Jester » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:45 pm

Gitz wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:15 pm
Among the good ones, there's at least one I really don't trust, but under the circumstances you can't be too picky, I guess.
Barkeep?
May your light shine / And the little birds, /Bring joy with their singing, / They are welcome to me

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:59 pm

Jester wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:45 pm
Gitz wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:15 pm
Among the good ones, there's at least one I really don't trust, but under the circumstances you can't be too picky, I guess.
Barkeep?
I'm thinking Civvi