Been Around Forever
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

“We love our charter, Oh Lord, we love our charter...”

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:25 pm

The WMF Kumbaya Klub has a new "Movement Charter" to shove down the community's throat to go with their brand-spankin'-new Code of Conduct. Chief author is an account named RamzyM (WMF), with a first edit May 18, 2023.

link
The Wikimedia Movement Charter (“the Charter”) states the values, rights, relationships, and mutual responsibilities of all participants in the shared mission of this movement. The Charter applies to all individual and institutional participants, movement entities, projects, and online and offline spaces officially associated with the Wikimedia Movement.

By defining the Wikimedia Movement and its values, the Charter aims to make it easier for movement stakeholders to collaborate with each other. This will help:

• provide a sense of belonging,
• produce shared strategy for growth, expansion, and future possibilities to secure continued creation and availability of free knowledge,
• safeguard donor rights, and financial interests of the movement,
• guide decision-making, and reduce conflict between movement stakeholders.
Unlike the immutable CoC, the Movement Charter is subject to amendment via a specified process: link

I see a "Global Council" with its "Global Council Assembly" and "Global Council Board" added to the careerists' junket docket. I'm gonna stop reading now, I need to go barf.

Discuss.

t

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Re: “We love our charter, Oh Lord, we love our charter...”

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:55 pm

Only one sentence in this minifesto is relevant.
• safeguard donor rights, and financial interests of the movement,
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:02 pm

I'm not exactly sure how "donor rights" are being protected. I don't doubt that there's some angle I am missing.

It seems to me that this is an attempt to create an elected House of Lords, with about as much power. Visions of Dennis the Peasant with his elaborate system of governance for the anarcho-syndicalist commune coordinating the mucking of filth jump to mind.

This is about expanding the number of plane tickets to seminars for self-important huffing and puffing by diverse and representative delegates from around the world, quite surely.

t

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:29 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:02 pm
I'm not exactly sure how "donor rights" are being protected. I don't doubt that there's some angle I am missing.
What's interesting to me is that making it easier for "stakeholders" to collaborate with each other will actually jeopardize "donor rights" rather than safeguard them. Presumably, the "rights" they're referring to consist mainly of each donor's right to anonymity, i.e., the right to never be mentioned (or thanked) by name in any Wikimedia publication. After all, the last thing the WMF wants is for anyone to get the idea that donating money to them could give the donor the "rights" to have some sort of influence over their actions and policies, whether or not it actually does give them such rights. So why would they want people in the "movement" to "collaborate" on anything related to that?

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:01 am

It always irritates me when large organizations try to brand themselves as "a movement", or as we would say in Germany "eine Bewegung".
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:09 am

rnu wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:01 am
It always irritates me when large organizations try to brand themselves as "a movement", or as we would say in Germany "eine Bewegung".
It always reminds me of the riddle "What was the brown object Beethoven left behind on his piano stool?" (Ans: His last movement.)
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:43 pm

Could donor rights be an expectation that now the community has ratified the movement strategy and its deliverables, the Foundation is empowered to overide the volunteers where they might try to stop things actually being delivered? Obviously this didn't matter when people were giving the price of a cup of coffee and Wikipedia had fewer and vaguer objectives.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:16 pm

lonza leggiera wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:09 am
rnu wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:01 am
It always reminds me of the riddle "What was the brown object Beethoven left behind on his piano stool?" (Ans: His last movement.)
Whydoya think they call it a "stool," anyway?

t