Fram blocked by User:WMFOffice for 1 year

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
mendaliv
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: mendaliv

Re: Fram blocked by User:WMFOffice for 1 year

Unread post by mendaliv » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:21 am

Vigilant wrote:Apparently, even the WMF ubermensch aren't immune to the dreaded "editing with the wrong accont"problem.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php? ... id=3256731

Wherein the Mo:leMan tips his hand as the guy behind the WMF Legal role account.

And again...
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =462494382

Contrast the above edit with this one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =486892098
You know I just thought of something particularly fascinating. Those folks that are volunteers doing administrative type edits in addition to their employee duties at WMF, even though they are supposed to have separate accounts, I wonder if there are GDPR-discoverable data in those “personal” accounts that happen to get used on the employer’s time. Include with that private email accounts. Hmmm...
“It is a fair summary of history to say that the safeguards of liberty have frequently been forged in controversies involving not very nice people.” United States v. Rabinowitz, 339 U.S. 56, 68, 69 (1950) (Frankfurter, J. dissenting).

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:33 pm

mendaliv wrote:Honestly, if this were a legitimate business, I’d think whoever ran T&S must be a genius at office politics and managed to win a huge turf war with loads of funds.
Why shouldn't office politics affect WMF too? It probably works equally well, if not better, if the business isn't legitimate.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:36 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:
mendaliv wrote:Wait a sec, what the hell is this Wikimedia Endowment crap supposed to do? And there's a separate board? What in the ever loving hell is this?!
It's basically a war chest, a hedge against a drop in smaller donations. It's where they put money from rich people, and/or rich people's estates when they die, assuming they can get them to put the WMF in their wills. It's somewhat similar to the way colleges use their endowments, only without the new academic buildings and scholarships and what-not.

The Wikimedia Endowment Home Page
......Where the money can be invested to generate 0.6% annual interest, or some laughably pathetic figure like that.

RfB
No. WMF invests its funds in stocks, bonds and even hedge funds. I understand that Tides Foundation does the same, although I can't find financial reports on either Tides or WMF website that discloses the performance of the Wikipedia endowment to date. Please see this other endowment-focused WO thread: linkhttp://www.wikipediocracy.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=7280[/link]

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:55 pm

With the Signpost case rejected, Iridescent boldly takes advantage of Wikipedia's newly relaxed BLP code: (link)
It's not right that when someone trying to uphold basic ethical values challenges an outright crook the result is the person trying to uphold values being punished while the crook is allowed to quietly vanish and slink away and those who protected her keep their positions, but trying to impose a code of ethics when the most unethical people are those at the top is always going to be a fool's errand.

Iridescent (T-C-L) 15:59, 17 July 2019 (sysop, 302366 edits since: 2006) [my bolding]

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:06 pm

I've always considered Iridescent to be among the best people on Wikipedia. If there were a lot more people like that, this site wouldn't be needed.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:37 pm

And the updates to WP:FRAM have run dry.

The infinitesimal outrage reserves of teh communitah have been exhausted and Fram will die in wiki-prison for unspecified crimes supported by secret evidence from 'unknown' complainants with deeply suspected nepotism ties to a the Chair of the Board carried out by soulless, incompetent thought police from Trust & Safety, probably the most ironically named group in the WMF.

When they come for you, remember this day.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Auggie
Regular

Unread post by Auggie » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:49 pm

Vigilant wrote:And the updates to WP:FRAM have run dry.

The infinitesimal outrage reserves of teh communitah have been exhausted and Fram will die in wiki-prison for unspecified crimes supported by secret evidence from 'unknown' complainants with deeply suspected nepotism ties to a the Chair of the Board carried out by soulless, incompetent thought police from Trust & Safety, probably the most ironically named group in the WMF.

yes it's looking like game over for Fram.

This whole thing has been disgraceful, even by Wikipedia standards.

I was wrong to think ArbCom might help. Should have known. ArbCom is worse than useless.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:57 pm

Auggie wrote:

I was wrong to think ArbCom might help. Should have known. ArbCom is worse than useless.
ARBCOM didn't even have the collective balls to stand up to Peter Ekman aka Smallboner when he clearly character assassinated Fram when Fram couldn't respond.

WP:BLP is now an optional rule if the target has been unpersoned by T&S.

So many bright lines crossed in this mess.

Certainly the most shameful episode in en.wp history as teh communitah bends the knee to the new WMF overlords.
ARBCOM now take up the role of political officers and corrupt judiciary rubber stamping whatever the master desires.
The admins who quit over 'principle' now come crawling back like crackwhores looking to trade their nonexistant virtue for a rock to sate their fever.

Gutless cowards the lot of you.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:03 pm

Vigilant wrote:Gutless cowards the lot of you.

Apologies for the vulgar tmetics, but abso-fucking-exactly.

TheElusiveClaw
Contributor

Unread post by TheElusiveClaw » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:06 pm

Poetlister wrote:I've always considered Iridescent to be among the best people on Wikipedia. If there were a lot more people like that, this site wouldn't be needed.
Definitely. I don't always agree with everything he says, but his arguments are always well-founded and need taking into account.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:12 pm

Auggie wrote:

T&S is doing a pretty good job of rekindling things by announcing that idiotic public comment drive before ArbCom has finished its business.

But you're probably right.
“It is a fair summary of history to say that the safeguards of liberty have frequently been forged in controversies involving not very nice people.” United States v. Rabinowitz, 339 U.S. 56, 68, 69 (1950) (Frankfurter, J. dissenting).

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:39 pm

Guy Macon wrote:Alarm bells go off in my head whenever I hear "without giving any real notice beforehand". Whenever any admin (or someone from T&S) tells me to stop doing something, I stop immediately. Even if I am 100% convinced that they are wrong, I stop immediately. If the warning was way out of line, I would talk to them on their talk page and if that didn't work bring it up at AN, but while discussing it I would stop immediately. This is the main reason why I have gone 13 years with zero blocks. Any block would have to be without warning, or me doing something that is grounds for an immediate block like doxing someone. (I have never done that sort of thing anywhere on the net. See South Park (season 20) for some reasons why (smile).)
I would hope that T&S would make the same commitment that our administrators have made to give me warning and allow me to stop doing what I am doing. My clean block record is very important to me.
diff. Emphasis mine. Is Guy admitting to getting told to stop doing something by T&S???

Auggie
Regular

Unread post by Auggie » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:02 pm

Vigilant wrote:The admins who quit over 'principle' now come crawling back like crackwhores looking to trade their nonexistant virtue for a rock to sate their fever.
They do look rather pathetic. :XD
mendaliv wrote:T&S is doing a pretty good job of rekindling things by announcing that idiotic public comment drive before ArbCom has finished its business.
They are asserting their dominance. The Board went out on a limb to try to address community concerns, but now that the issue has been safely buried in the community's own mock lawyer playground, they realized that they should press their advantage.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:30 pm

TheElusiveClaw wrote:
Poetlister wrote:I've always considered Iridescent to be among the best people on Wikipedia. If there were a lot more people like that, this site wouldn't be needed.
Definitely. I don't always agree with everything he says, but his arguments are always well-founded and need taking into account.
I believe it's she and she posts here on occasion.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:32 pm

Huldra right on the money again : (link)

For maximum effect, read aloud in the style of Johnny Rotten.
You know I don't like "foul" language; the problem with WMF targeting Fram is: why him?

We both know there are lots of other editors who use equal language here....so why have they not been banned?

Was it just "incidentally" that the editor they banned, also was one of their harshest (and very on−the−point) critics, or that he had made some very relevant criticism of the edits of the wife of the Head of the Board of Governors on WMF?? Lol.

Frankly, from day one this has looked as: "If you are criticised: ban the critic!" That will make the criticism go away, for sure. (<sarcasm/>)

Huldra (T-C-L) 22:51, 17 July 2019

90210 wrote:I believe it's she and she posts here on occasion.
Iridescent = Adrian Merritt.

The famous Manchester Wikimeet.

Iridescent is the aspie-handed chap who bears a passing resemblance to Viva Hate-era Morrissey (being drunkenly ranted at by Corbett).

MrErnie
Habitué

Unread post by MrErnie » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:29 am

I'd thought that Elisa.Rolle would have been someone who sent a complaint in about Fram. She's going for an unblock now, and this diff from Ritchie333 is interesting:
I am considering this to be a valid application of the standard offer. About a year ago, I was managing the block with TonyBallioni and we agreed to drop it down to a fixed time so we could talk about copyright, before Fram popped in and reblocked indefinitely, causing Elisa to quit the project (and a truck load of off-wiki complaints about Fram landing in my mailbox). I am happy to unblock Elisa; she is a prolific content creator and published author and we need people like her working on the project - and if people find themselves putting {{db-copyvio}} on her work four days after unblocking .... well, blocks are cheap and easy for any admin to do if they know they have consensus between them. Elisa, if you want me to do a standard offer review at AN, respond in the affirmative and I'll get it done. Ritchie333 (talk) (cont) 16:45, 17 July 2019 (UTC)
Emphasis mine. It seems quite likely that a lot of those complaints also made their way to T&S. More evidence, likely in T&S view, of Fram "hounding" female editors. Arb comments about the dossier they received from T&S (Worm called it a "hefty document") indicate that it goes back a while and contains many complainers, although anonymously. How is it going to be possible to check Fram's side of the story or the actual events if the specifics aren't pointed out? In the cases of Elisa and Laura Hale, Fram was absolutely correct. On Elisa's talk page Megalibrarygirl (T-C-L) is trying to make the case that those who oppose Elisa's unblock should scour diffs and histories to find potential problematic behavior and should then bring that to Elisa for explainations and justifications for why that won't happen again, which is completely backwards from the way it usually is. This is nonsense. Fram was greatly improving the encyclopedia by taking out the trash, and should be unbanned and re-sysop'd immediately.

Sophie
Contributor

Unread post by Sophie » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:48 am

Like Laura Hale, Elisa is also not able to competently edit yet these are the types that are continually encouraged and protected. Jess Wade, who also causes problems with her editing, has just been awarded the Wikimedian of the Year at the Wikimedia UK AGM last weekend too. I agree that Fram was perfectly correct to try pointing out the inaccuracies yet, instead there is a massive list of Elisa's edits to be checked at CCI etc. and no doubt she will shortly be unblocked. That is not even taking into account that she constantly added information using unreliable sources as well as additions that were not in the source she provided.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:48 am

MrErnie wrote:Arb comments about the dossier they received from T&S (Worm called it a "hefty document") indicate that it goes back a while and contains many complainers, although anonymously. How is it going to be possible to check Fram's side of the story or the actual events if the specifics aren't pointed out?
Honestly, I think on some level T&S spent that month building that dossier because they knew they'd have to prove the ban was justified. Like I think it's really, really unlikely that document was what was produced as part of the original ban decision.

I'd be interested if there's any evidence T&S were issuing fewer bans during the post-Fram period than comparable months previously. Imagine the resources they might've had to devote to this.
On Elisa's talk page Megalibrarygirl (T-C-L) is trying to make the case that those who oppose Elisa's unblock should scour diffs and histories to find potential problematic behavior and should then bring that to Elisa for explainations and justifications for why that won't happen again, which is completely backwards from the way it usually is.
Interestingly, you could make an argument that MLG is inviting people to harass Elisa by doing that.

Boing! said Zebedee
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Boing! said Zebedee

Unread post by Boing! said Zebedee » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:38 am

10920 wrote:
TheElusiveClaw wrote:
I believe it's she and she posts here on occasion.
I've met him, and he isn't she.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:29 pm

Auggie wrote:Should have known. ArbCom is worse than useless.
Indeed, as we all know, that's the function of Arbcom.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:56 pm

Oops. I must've gotten him confused with Bishonen.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:59 pm

10920 wrote:Oops. I must've gotten him confused with Bishonen.
I think Bishonen (a Japanese word that roughly means a beautiful boy) is also male. On Swedish wikipedia, people use male pronouns when talking to him.

nableezy
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: nableezy

Unread post by nableezy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:02 pm

mendaliv wrote:
On Elisa's talk page Megalibrarygirl (T-C-L) is trying to make the case that those who oppose Elisa's unblock should scour diffs and histories to find potential problematic behavior and should then bring that to Elisa for explainations and justifications for why that won't happen again, which is completely backwards from the way it usually is.
Interestingly, you could make an argument that MLG is inviting people to harass Elisa by doing that.
More interesting to me is how Megalibrarygirl's previously strongly held belief that Sometimes we have to understand that we don't always have to know the details contrasts with positions such as I was working to take your concerns seriously, but I absolutely cannot unless you engage and provide detailed information.

Alex Shih
Regular
Wikipedia User: Alex Shih
Actual Name: Alex Shih

Unread post by Alex Shih » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:54 pm

I think earlier in this thread I've opined about the comparison of Elisa.rolle to Laura Hale, and I don't think it's entirely accurate; I've worked with Elisa.rolle for more than six months and am probably guilty of trying to protect her to a limited extent in terms of what she does.

Diannaa is the go to person every time I have questions about copyrights, but her oppose rationale in this one is so typical of your average wp admin; "the user has been blocked three times", yes, but once by you, and twice by Fram in a hasty manner. You really should address that instead of talking about them in a completely neutral manner, referring to them as three separate blocks that is totally legitimate and unquestionable.

What Elisa.rolle does would have been perfectly acceptable back in 2006 when I first started editing. In a sense though, I still think what she does should be fine if you consider that the subjects that she works with are the type of subjects that would be considered as totally fringe and not exactly notable, but perhaps would be notable when more materials are uncovered in years to come. The problem is, at the moment not many "reliable" sources are available for these potentially important subjects that are still being considered fringe at the moment, which is one of the reasons why there is an issue about the use of dubious sources. Ultimately her area of editing is simply incompatible with what Wikipedia has become.

The idea of WP:COMPETENCE shouldn't apply here, even though I know the folks are referring to them in the context of "editing Wikipedia", something Elisa doesn't seem to get. Elisa.rolle is very competent, but her English writing skills are rather limited despite of being an established author. I suppose authors have copywriters, and all of Elisa.rolle's works on Wikipedia (mine are pretty sloppy as well) would essentially require a copywriter to tidy up after her. But then I feel she is getting unfair amount of attention simply because she is being way too prolific. Although she just simply won't slow down and it's really frustrating.

In my experience I've found that Elisa.rolle responds well if you talk to her in a respectable manner. She does have the tendency to get overtly emotional and personal, and to me it is rather detrimental to movement of getting more women editors on Wikipedia.

In conclusion though, I would hate to see people compare her to Laura Hale; to me Laura Hale does what she does for monetary gains, never seemed to have the idea of "spreading knowledge" in mind, and does poor writing despite of being a native English speaker, while never once stopped to talk about mistakes.

Sophie
Contributor

Unread post by Sophie » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:15 pm

The idea that Elisa is an 'author' - let alone an 'established author' - is a bit of an exaggeration and a red herring. Her book is self published and that is very easily done especially on platforms like Amazon with no checks whatsoever; many are of no quality, full of errors etc etc.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:00 pm

tarantino wrote:
I think Bishonen (a Japanese word that roughly means a beautiful boy) is also male. On Swedish wikipedia, people use male pronouns when talking to him.
Oh goodness. Well now that the honeymoon is apparently over, and we're past the discovery stage, I shall have to stop writing them poems. (I had been pleased, despite the creepy Mishima-like hospital story of Martinson, to see they added the unicorn-grazing-in-the-unmarked-graveyard image back to their TP but I see that this too has passed. :crying: )
los auberginos

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:39 pm

Bezdomni wrote:Oh goodness. Well now that the honeymoon is apparently over, and we're past the discovery stage, I shall have to stop writing them poems.
Some people just don't like purple prose, I guess...?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:15 pm

Nice to see that the Chair of the Board is working on important things during this time of crisis.

https://es.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =117345974

Sailor Moon, folks.
That'll fix things.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:02 pm

I've been completely ignoring WP for about the last two weeks, and I don't have six free hours to read the FRAM page archives, but what I think I'm seeing si that basically nothing has changed except some of the admins who quit have found cheap excuses to come back.

Is that about right or did anything significant happen?

(I'm considering returning as a content editor only, I have yet to see anything that makes me feel comfortable returning to admin or functionary work, but there are some articles I'd like to write.)
Last edited by Beeblebrox on Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:07 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:I've been completely ignoring WP for about the last two weeks, and I don't have six free hours to read the FRAM page archives, but what I think I'm seeing si that basically nothing has changed except some of the admins who quit have found cheap excuses to come back.

Is that about right or did anything significant happen?
Yep. Absolutely nothing of importance has happened except maybe this announcement that WMF will be doing “consultations” before the enwiki Fram issue is settled and having a lot of these consultations happen at Wikimania (they stuck it on VPP, with Fluffernutter aka Kbrown (WMF) as the sacrificial lamb since Eissfeldt is persona non grata).

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:31 pm

mendaliv wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:Is that about right or did anything significant happen?
Yep. Absolutely nothing of importance has happened except maybe this announcement that WMF will be doing “consultations” before the enwiki Fram issue is settled and having a lot of these consultations happen at Wikimania (they stuck it on VPP, with Fluffernutter aka Kbrown (WMF) as the sacrificial lamb since Eissfeldt is persona non grata).
Hmm... They also rejected the Smallbones/Signpost Arbitration Request during that timeframe, which could be interpreted to mean that the BLP policy no longer applies to WP users (at least not if they're under a sanction of some kind). And we also found Laura Hale's Ph.D. dissertation, which is how we determined that she and Maria Sefidari are married, which arguably allows us to describe the T&S actions as being potentially motivated by actual nepotism as opposed to mere cronyism or favoritism.

There might be a couple other things...

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:11 am

Cockwomble?
There Is A Crisis In British Swearing

Just when you thought cockwomble, pisstrumpet and shitgibbon had died, they're launching a comeback

There's a growing crisis in swearing in this country. After centuries during which everyone was happy to call each other bastards, pricks and wankers, there's a renewed enthusiasm for faux-archaic compound insults. 'Cockwomble' is the breakout star, but jump into any Brexit-adjacent Twitter thread and you'll see them. 'Wankpuffin'. 'Nobsocket'. 'Shitflute'. 'Spunktrumpet'.

It looked like the phenomenon had peaked a year or so ago, but the political spasms of the last six months have seen it make a unwelcome return. Google searches for 'cockwomble' levelled out to roughly 20 or 30 a week in the UK in the first half of this year, but then spiked in the 70s in mid-July. That was about the time Boris Johnson - a man with more culpability for this trend than most - resigned as Foreign Secretary.

If you use these words, you're turning your back on the rich history of earthy, brutish, egalitarian British swearing to evoke some bizarre Thorpe Park fantasy Britain set somewhere between 1928 and 1954. It's not that there's no room for innovation in swearing, but the forsaking our national inheritance - your everyday fucks, shits and bastards - for smug, self-consciously quirksome insults is a travesty which must be stopped.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:22 am

This is funny.

Wnt is whining and sniveling and showing his belly to get unblocked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =906761107

Be a good little monkey, Wnt.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:46 am

The irony is piled deep in this thread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =906898643
I endorse everything Swarm wrote in this thread. As an admin working at AE, I've had a lot of grief when trying to enforce community norms, particularly regarding civility, against the so-called "unblockables". We are now finally, I think, realizing that the attitude of some veteran contributors and admin that anybody who does good work gets to be a jerk is a big part of the problem. There is no justification, ever, for not being polite, professional and courteous to our fellow encyclopedists. I support all efforts to help improving our culture in this regard. Sandstein 07:27, 19 July 2019 (UTC)
Is this performance art?

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:37 am

Vigilant wrote:Is this performance art?
Unless he immediately blocked himself after posting it, it almost has to be.

Boing! said Zebedee
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Boing! said Zebedee

Unread post by Boing! said Zebedee » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:37 am

As an admin authoritarian literalist and blinkered rule enforcer working at AE, I've had a lot of grief...
I fixed that for him.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:40 pm

Boing! said Zebedee wrote:
As an admin authoritarian literalist and blinkered rule enforcer working at AE, I've had a lot of grief...
I fixed that for him.
What I find amusing is when even a lot of the admins have a problem with Sandstein and nothing is done about him. That makes the problem less about Sandstein and more about the admins and culyure that allow him to continue.

But this is the same culture that has repeatedly called fram a jerk and then rally behind him when something is finally done about him.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:21 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:which could be interpreted to mean that the BLP policy no longer applies to WP users (at least not if they're under a sanction of some kind).
If they're under a sanction then of course they are non-people who have no rights on Wikipedia.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:06 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:which could be interpreted to mean that the BLP policy no longer applies to WP users (at least not if they're under a sanction of some kind).
If they're under a sanction then of course they are non-people who have no rights on Wikipedia.
Agreed. That is standard. What they failed to recognize here is that Fram is not under a sanction because everyone knows (or should know) T&S had no business doing what they did. Even the WMF eventually acknowledged as much.

So in terms of en.wiki, Fram should still be a person, and the policy should still be enforced. ArbCom rejecting the case was absurd.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:26 pm

Resysop_request_(Yelyos)

[A hooded figure walks into WMFPD Precinct 1...]
Yelyos: "Lieutenant Yelyos, reporting for duty."
Cop #1: "Who?"
Cop #2: "Yelyos? Holy shit! He walked off the job twelve years ago. Nobody's seen 'em since."
Yelyos: "I just want my gun back."
Cop #2: "Sure, no problem."
Cop #1: [sotto voce] "But sir, we don't even know if this is Yelyos..."
Cop #2: "Nonsense!" [slaps Yelyos on the back]
Cop #1: "But..."
Cop #2: "Come back tomorrow morning, Yelly, you can pick it up then. Good to have you back on the force!"

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:34 pm

Smiley wrote:Resysop_request_(Yelyos)

[A hooded figure walks into WMFPD Precinct 1...]
Yelyos: "Lieutenant Yelyos, reporting for duty."
Cop #1: "Who?"
Cop #2: "Yelyos? Holy shit! He walked off the job twelve years ago. Nobody's seen 'em since."
Yelyos: "I just want my gun back."
Cop #2: "Suure, no problem."
Cop #1: [sotto voce] "But sir, we don't even know if this is Yelyos..."
Cop #2: "Nonsense!" [slaps Yelyos on the back]
Cop #1: "But..."
Cop #2: "Come back tomorrow morning, Yelly, you can pick it up then. Good to have you back on the force!"
:rotfl:

Are they insane? My favorite thing there is this: “Yeah I understand you’re uncomfortable, but policy is policy! We can’t just not follow policy to the letter!”

Someone needs to follow this dude around the wiki and watch his tools usage and take him to ArbCom as soon as he screws up. Then maybe we’ll get some sensible policy written about whether protecting the project is harassment.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:35 pm

Yeah this is yet another typical case of admins being held to a lower standard and being allowed to do whatever they want. What a way to look like a bunch of clowns!

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:22 pm

So after the unblock request for Elisa Rolle failed (which was no surprise after Dianaa's oppose), her indef converted to a CBAN. Now there's a lot of complaining about how that rule is unfair at AN.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:27 pm

Well, I guess the jig is up.
http://wikirev.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... t=30#p5480

Martin has figured out and proved that I am Proabivouac.
Sorry to have fooled all of you for so long.
I guess a nym change from Vigilant to Proabivouac is in order to provide transparency.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:17 am

"Board index Wikipedia Review"

Selina, do something!

Alex Shih
Regular
Wikipedia User: Alex Shih
Actual Name: Alex Shih

Unread post by Alex Shih » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:15 am

mendaliv wrote:So after the unblock request for Elisa Rolle failed (which was no surprise after Dianaa's oppose), her indef converted to a CBAN. Now there's a lot of complaining about how that rule is unfair at AN.
The new rule itself isn't really an issue, but when a group of people insist everything needs to be "by the books" instead of allowing flexibility as according to the situation, then in specific situations like this it could seem awfully draconian.

Yunshui's close is very typical and correct by all means in Wikipedian's perspective, but the problem is this shouldn't be closed as "clear consensus" when clearly there is a group of people holding different but very valid views. "24 hours" is a "minimum", not that everything after 24 hours should and must be closed. And these folks needs to stop treating everything with the same lens. vandals, sock puppeteers and problematic content creators shouldn't be vilified in the same way, it's rather distasteful. This wasn't the intended target of the CBAN policy.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:17 am

tarantino wrote:
I've said previously that Bishonen is too big of a dick to be a woman. I stand by that.

RfB

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:35 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:I've said previously that Bishonen is too big of a dick to be a woman. I stand by that.

You proudly stand by Bish's big dick?

Your comment manages to demean both sexes at once.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:49 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
tarantino wrote:
I've said previously that Bishonen is too big of a dick to be a woman. I stand by that.

RfB
Poetic Edda/Hávamál wrote: A paltry man | and poor of mind
At all things ever mocks;
For never he knows, | what he ought to know,
That he is not free from faults.

A witless man, | when he meets with men,
Had best in silence abide;
For no one shall find | that nothing he knows,
If his mouth is not open too much.
(But a man knows not, | if nothing he knows,
When his mouth has been open too much.)

Often he speaks | who never is still
With words that win no faith;
The babbling tongue, | if a bridle it find not,
Oft for itself sings ill.

Friendly of mind | are many men,
Till feasting they mock at their friends;
To mankind a bane | must it ever be
When guests together strive.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:20 pm

Alex Shih wrote:
mendaliv wrote:So after the unblock request for Elisa Rolle failed (which was no surprise after Dianaa's oppose), her indef converted to a CBAN. Now there's a lot of complaining about how that rule is unfair at AN.
...And these folks needs to stop treating everything with the same lens. vandals, sock puppeteers and problematic content creators shouldn't be vilified in the same way, it's rather distasteful. This wasn't the intended target of the CBAN policy.
Well no shit! But unless you are an admin, have a bunch of admin friends or are one of those sellout non admins working as Arbcom clerks you are going to get treated like a serf in a land of nobles.

The policies of Wikipedia aren't meant to be fair, or even to protect Wikipedia, at least not anymore. They are there to control content, control people and maintain the house POV.