Cocksuckers and turdburglars

Why we're here. Our rules. How to contact us. Forum information.
Giraffe Stapler
Habitué
kołdry

Cocksuckers and turdburglars

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:56 pm

In just the last 10 minutes, I saw one user here refer to someone as a "cocksucker" and another refer to the WMF as "turdburglars". I'm not a sensitive flower and I don't get flustered if people call each other rude names, but "cocksucker" and "turdburglar" are generally understood as homophobic insults. Can we try harder? Please?

I'm not naming the users or linking to the posts in case those users want to edit their own posts. I don't expect it to happen, but who knows?

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Re: Cocksuckers and turdburglars

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:01 am

Yup. I got into trouble myself (again) recently over using insults I shouldn't, over on Wikipedia. Both of us probably need to be more creative, and/or more subtle.

Sometimes the best insults are the ones you don't recognise as such until later.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:04 am

Roger that.

For my part, that was not my intent.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:10 am

Vigilant wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:04 am
Roger that.

For my part, that was not my intent.
I honestly don't think either of you intended to be homophobic, but the choice of epithets might lead others to see it that way. I have absolute faith that you won't run out of things to call people if you retire that one word. ;)

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:21 am

We should probably take lessons from the master himself.*
“Villain, I have done thy mother”
Titus Andronicus (Act 4, Scene 2)

*Or, if one is to give credence to recent unorthodox hypotheses being promoted on Wikipedia by their creator, 'themselves' - apparently the Shakespeare who wrote the tragedies was a different individual from the writer of the comedies. And neither was actually Shakespeare... :facepalm:

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:26 am

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:56 pm
..."cocksucker" and "turdburglar" are generally understood as homophobic insults.
I'm not so sure that's true, or as true, here in the USA, or in, say, France. Still, you're right, as we all have to bear the international audience in mind.

We do (like most forum sites) have a word-filtering feature we could use, if the situation gets out of hand. I would imagine people are just in a worse mood than usual, mostly because of the war and the deleterious effect it might have on various World Cup qualifying tournaments, among other things.

We'll move this thread tomorrow, after everyone has had a chance to look at it — but weren't the offending posts in the private/off-topic forum, by the way? (Does anyone remember?)

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:32 am

I've edited mine.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:34 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:26 am
We'll move this thread tomorrow, after everyone has had a chance to look at it — but weren't the offending posts in the private/off-topic forum, by the way? (Does anyone remember?)
Sorry, I thought this was the place to discuss the forum, so I started it here. I don't mind if it gets moved or even deleted if it has served its purpose.