Sorry about that unscheduled downtime

Why we're here. Our rules. How to contact us. Forum information.
Midsize Jake
Site Admin
kołdry
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Sorry about that unscheduled downtime

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:09 pm

We had about, ehh, I'm gonna say 9 hours of downtime today due to a false positive in a malware scan that was done by our hosting company. Apparently our blog post from April 1, 2015, "Facebook login to be enabled on Wikipedia," was illustrated with an image file of the Facebook logo, which is now officially a no-no as it might now be interpreted as a phishing attempt. (Though I daresay we might have gotten away with even that, if the blog post itself hadn't contained lines like "Use of Facebook accounts to log in to websites or services is becoming more common because it benefits both users and providers").

Needless to say, the big irony here is that Wikipedia never did enable Facebook logins, so the blog post ended up being largely worthless, until today when it became an actual liability. So, I'm going to delete the post in question completely, and just cross my fingers and hope there won't be any similar surprises waiting for us down the road.

Anyway, sorry for the inconvenience - it took an hour or two to resolve and I should have seen it earlier, but these days I often don't even look at a computer or TV screen until 1PM or so. Hopefully things will improve after the next US election!

:)

Dysklyver
Cornishman
Actual Name: Arthur Kerensa
Nom de plume: Dysk

Re: Sorry about that unscheduled downtime

Unread post by Dysklyver » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:23 pm

Well there was us thinking that someone had sued you for a million dollars and forced it all offline. :evilgrin:
Globally banned after 7 years.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:37 pm

Dysklyver wrote:Well there was us thinking that someone had sued you for a million dollars and forced it all offline. :evilgrin:
I know, sorry about that. We got Graaf all excited for nothing... :(

Still, there's a valid criticism to be made here that in addition to our overly-optimistic blog-post illustration choices (this one was Hersch's doing, though how was he to know that 4 years later this would happen) we need a more robust internal comms setup. The nice thing about having Gomi/Greybeard in charge of the hosting account was that he never actually slept. Apparently this was some sort of bizarre X-Men superpower thing he had... Anyway, not only is my ISP much worse than his, I pretty much do have to sleep, I was asleep when this happened, and what's more I generally keep the phone muted until well into the late morning hours. Ideally, I should rig up some sort of monitor alarm that attempts to load a Wikipediocracy page every 10 minutes or so, and if it fails maybe try a few more times (in case it's a local ISP problem) before sounding a loud buzzer which would wake up my cat, who would then wake me up. But who goes to that much trouble? It sounds like a lot of fuss to me. Also, my cat would probably hate me.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:39 pm

I just thought Greg forgot to pay the webhosti g fees or something.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:52 pm

Kumioko wrote:I just thought Greg forgot to pay the webhosti g fees or something.
That's an understandable reaction, given what used to go on over at Wikipedia Review... :hrmph:

As long as we're discussing this sort of thing though, until about a year ago Greg was the domain owner and Gomi/Greybeard paid the hosting fees. Both of them are now essentially "out of the picture" unfortunately, and Zoloft is now the domain owner and I'm paying the hosting fees. Admittedly I'm not as well-off money-wise as Gomi, but as long as there aren't a lot of lawyers involved and our bandwidth usage doesn't somehow rocket up into Alexa Top 1,000 levels, I can pretty-much sort-of afford it - so, when I took over I paid us up in advance for two years, which means we've got another year left before we're on the hook for more hosting cash. Also, the domain was up for renewal and could have expired literally this very week if Zoloft had decided to go into a medically-induced coma (apparently he does this occasionally just "for kicks"). But he didn't, so that too has been taken care of (though I don't know for how many years).

Salvidrim
Critic
Wikipedia User: Salvidrim!
Actual Name: Ben Landry

Unread post by Salvidrim » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:10 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:Also, the domain was up for renewal and could have expired literally this very week if Zoloft had decided to go into a medically-induced coma (apparently he does this occasionally just "for kicks"). But he didn't, so that too has been taken care of (though I don't know for how many years).
One.
Domain Name: WIKIPEDIOCRACY.COM
Registrar URL: http://www.domain.com
Updated Date: 2019-02-28T15:16:17
Registrar Expiration Date: 2020-03-16T11:43:10
Registrar: Domain.com, LLC
Reseller: FatCow
Name Server: NS1.BLUEHOST.COM

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:41 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Kumioko wrote:I just thought Greg forgot to pay the webhosti g fees or something.
That's an understandable reaction, given what used to go on over at Wikipedia Review... :hrmph:

As long as we're discussing this sort of thing though, until about a year ago Greg was the domain owner and Gomi/Greybeard paid the hosting fees. Both of them are now essentially "out of the picture" unfortunately, and Zoloft is now the domain owner and I'm paying the hosting fees. Admittedly I'm not as well-off money-wise as Gomi, but as long as there aren't a lot of lawyers involved and our bandwidth usage doesn't somehow rocket up into Alexa Top 1,000 levels, I can pretty-much sort-of afford it - so, when I took over I paid us up in advance for two years, which means we've got another year left before we're on the hook for more hosting cash. Also, the domain was up for renewal and could have expired literally this very week if Zoloft had decided to go into a medically-induced coma (apparently he does this occasionally just "for kicks"). But he didn't, so that too has been taken care of (though I don't know for how many years).
Maybe we can run an eBay auction of a t-shirt soiled with dubious-stains-vaguely-associated-with-Midsize Jake on ebay to cover expenses for the year when things come due.

I pledge to supply the shirt, others will have to contribute to their best abilities.

RfB

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:45 pm

Salvidrim wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:Also, the domain was up for renewal and could have expired literally this very week if Zoloft had decided to go into a medically-induced coma (apparently he does this occasionally just "for kicks"). But he didn't, so that too has been taken care of (though I don't know for how many years).
One.
Ironically, "Fat Cow" is the name I have long imagined I would give my racehorse, if I owned a racehorse... Can you imagine how hilarious that live call would be?

RfB

P.S. And while we are on the subject, this video can not be viewed frequently enough...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfCMtaNiMDM&t=216s

Salvidrim
Critic
Wikipedia User: Salvidrim!
Actual Name: Ben Landry

Unread post by Salvidrim » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:05 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Salvidrim wrote:
One.
Ironically, "Fat Cow" is the name I have long imagined I would give my racehorse, if I owned a racehorse... Can you imagine how hilarious that live call would be?

RfB
The branding of https://www.fatcow.com is really dubious innit

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:29 am

Looking at the edit history of the article for Wikipediocracy (T-H-L) someone already tried to announce our demise and according to comments on the talk page there were several in the community that were glad to see us go.

On that note, that shows how truly accepting the Wikipedia community is and how they respect others opinions yet continue to do abusive things. They don't like us because we call attention to their hypocrisy and lies. They say good riddance, I say here we are!

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Unread post by rhindle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:00 am

Kumioko wrote:Looking at the edit history of the article for Wikipediocracy (T-H-L) someone already tried to announce our demise and according to comments on the talk page there were several in the community that were glad to see us go.
That IP has already been blocked by Toni Ballioni for "Long term abuse" but no evidence of whom this person is besides signing "E" to their name. I only see 2 edits now but it appears IP's edits do not show up on edit history over time. Quite the "Quick draw Mcgraw" type of blocking there.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:17 am

rhindle wrote:
Kumioko wrote:Looking at the edit history of the article for Wikipediocracy (T-H-L) someone already tried to announce our demise and according to comments on the talk page there were several in the community that were glad to see us go.
That IP has already been blocked by Toni Ballioni for "Long term abuse" but no evidence of whom this person is besides signing "E" to their name. I only see 2 edits now but it appears IP's edits do not show up on edit history over time. Quite the "Quick draw Mcgraw" type of blocking there.
Yeah it's no surprise they would block that IP. I mean really, who outside someone from this site would want to go to update that page? [Sarcasm intended]

Frankly it's just an excuse for Tony (or anyone really) to block someone who obviously had an interest in this site...the enemy of Wikipedia they would have people believe. Tony had to put "something" and saying long term abuse is just an easy copout without having to really do anything. No one is going to investigate an anon IP with 2 edits and even if they did, there is nothing anyone is going to do about it even if they found out Tony was in error.

Auggie
Regular

Unread post by Auggie » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:29 am

aww man. I was hoping that the outage would drag on for a few days so that you'd be forced to show up on my site. Then I would give you all degrading nicknames and spend my days baiting and needling.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:26 am

My read seems like it was baiting/trolling. A random IP trying to see who would go along with just saying this site is gone forever because it was offline for a few hours. The IP geolocates to Cornwall for what that's worth. Seems to me there's somebody here from Cornwall, who's old WP user name begins with an E and who seems to mention fairly regularly that they are evading a ban.....
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:47 am

Abd on Wikipedia Sucks wrote:Because the basic structural issues were not addressed in setting up wikipediocracy, it replicated very similar problems: star chanber process, no development of community structure that could actually find genuine consensus with efficiency, a Luddite dislike of reasoned and evidenced discussion, and preference for snark and lulz -- if by insiders. If by an outsider, off with his head!
Dude, you couldn't say anything in a succinct way.
You are like the Grandpa Simpson of WO/WP/WS.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:55 am

Beeblebrox wrote:My read seems like it was baiting/trolling. A random IP trying to see who would go along with just saying this site is gone forever because it was offline for a few hours. The IP geolocates to Cornwall for what that's worth. Seems to me there's somebody here from Cornwall, who's old WP user name begins with an E and who seems to mention fairly regularly that they are evading a ban.....
You mean that guy whose everipedia autobiography says he's a 22 year old lawyer, yet his earliest claimed wp account was created in 2006 and edited like an adult?

Dysklyver
Cornishman
Actual Name: Arthur Kerensa
Nom de plume: Dysk

Unread post by Dysklyver » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:46 am

tarantino wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:My read seems like it was baiting/trolling. A random IP trying to see who would go along with just saying this site is gone forever because it was offline for a few hours. The IP geolocates to Cornwall for what that's worth. Seems to me there's somebody here from Cornwall, who's old WP user name begins with an E and who seems to mention fairly regularly that they are evading a ban.....
You mean that guy whose everipedia autobiography says he's a 22 year old lawyer, yet his earliest claimed wp account was created in 2006 and edited like an adult?
You mean me?

No of course I wouldn't troll the Wikipedians...

That would be mean. :evilgrin:
Globally banned after 7 years.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:02 am

Sometimes even Abd makes me smile:
Abd, on the one true criticism™ forum wrote:Someone had already breathlessly reported it as defunct on Wikipedia. [↗]
I guess he uses so many words in general that it's inevitable that, once in a blue moon, he happens to hit the odd gem. But breathlessly was so simple, yet so very apt and so evocative...

In case you're watching, Mr. Abd, don't worry, your reputation is intact, this was early in your post and I was, as usual, pushing out Zs long before its unreachable end...

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:38 pm

Yes, that happened to the Wikipedia Review article every time Selina was late paying the fees and the site was suspended. Wikipedians can be very consistent.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:22 am

The domain is on autorenew for each year, and I have another party who will pay it if I die or am disabled.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:33 am

Poetlister wrote:
Yes, that happened to the Wikipedia Review article every time Selina was late paying the fees and the site was suspended. Wikipedians can be very consistent.
You know what this means though right, whether they want to admit it or not and whether they are actually commenting, they are still watching this site actively.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:37 pm

Kumioko wrote:You know what this means though right, whether they want to admit it or not and whether they are actually commenting, they are still watching this site actively.
We certainly know that many active Wikipedians are posters here (disproving the common canard that it is a site only for blocked users), and that there are others who never post but do act on problems mentioned here.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche