"archive.is" added to the spam blacklist

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Michaeldsuarez
Wikipedia Review Member: Michaeldsuarez

"archive.is" added to the spam blacklist

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:06 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Spam-blacklist&diff=712900996&oldid=712859789

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_talk:Spam-blacklist#archive.is (permalink)

I'm late in reporting this, but Archive.is has been added to the spam blacklist. Technically, links to Archive.is have been prohibited since 2013, but I'm creating this thread to remind people of the issue.

The rationale some Wikipedians used during the various RfC to prohibit the links are outrageous:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Archive.is_RFC
Kww wrote:I prefer this option. It is based primarily on my belief that the IPs were not being used legally. This makes me distrust the motives of archive.is, and suspicious that we are being set up as the victim of a Trojan Horse: once the links to archive.is are established, those links can be rerouted to anywhere. If illegal means were used to ''create'' the links, why should we trust the links to remain safe?—[[User:Kww|Kww]]([[User talk:Kww|talk]]) 15:57, 20 September 2013 (UTC)
Someone not using his real name wrote:'''Support''' removal of all archive.is links now. After the repeated insertions of links by botnet(s), I have little faith in the ethics of the site owners. They could well turn their site into a malware dissemination tool. There is other corroborating evidence for low ethics like their choice of data storage ISPs and lack of respect for robots.txt (and thus the content/copyright owners' desires). [[User:Someone not using his real name|Someone not using his real name]] ([[User talk:Someone not using his real name|talk]]) 02:55, 5 October 2013 (UTC)
Robert McClenon wrote:'''Support''' after reading [[User:Kww]]'s rationale. We don't know what the purpose of the links is, and so we can't be sure that they aren't being used as a Trojan horse. If the nature and details of the archive are better known, I may change this to option 1. [[User:Robert McClenon|Robert McClenon]] ([[User talk:Robert McClenon|talk]]) 16:01, 2 October 2013 (UTC)
Carnildo wrote:'''Support with blacklist''': The operator of archive.is appears to be acting in extreme bad faith in how he is inserting these links; consequently, I don't feel we can trust the site's contents in the future. --[[User:Carnildo|Carnildo]] ([[User talk:Carnildo|talk]]) 23:21, 3 October 2013 (UTC)
Johnuniq wrote:'''Support''' The security issues involved are far too plausible to leave these links in Wikipedia without strong evidence that the archive is run by an organization capable of maintaining the archive, and with accountability for any malware or problematic content that may appear later. Big money can be made from infecting computers used to browse the Internet, and someone running a bot operating from multiple IPs demonstrates high motivation and a low regard for ethics. [[User:Johnuniq|Johnuniq]] ([[User talk:Johnuniq|talk]]) 00:37, 5 October 2013 (UTC)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Archive.is_RFC_2:
Masem wrote:'''Support''' We should not be linking to sites that could infect user's computers or rely on that functionality to operate. (note: if someone developer a legit peer-type service, that would be different; it's the unknowing potential misuse of compromised systems that's at issue). --[[User:Masem|M<font size="-3">ASEM</font>]] ([[User Talk:Masem|t]]) 20:55, 24 June 2014 (UTC)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Archive.is_RFC_3
Johnuniq wrote:'''Oppose''' Whoever is behind archive.is has demonstrated that they are willing and able to do anything, and they cannot be trusted. If thousands of links are established on Wikipedia, the archive operator can later do whatever they want when a link in an article is clicked. [[User:Johnuniq|Johnuniq]] ([[User talk:Johnuniq|talk]]) 02:04, 1 July 2014 (UTC)
Masem wrote:'''Oppose''' The archive.is links present a possible (even if not confirmed) threat to readership. Immediate removal is more important that having ~16,000 some articles with dangling references most which can be fixed in time. --[[User:Masem|M<font size="-3">ASEM</font>]] ([[User Talk:Masem|t]]) 15:31, 1 July 2014 (UTC)
Ceyockey wrote:'''Oppose''' &mdash;{{anchor|ceyopposearg1}} My opposition is based on the funding mechanism for archive.is / archive.today and the consequences which come with that. The funding is private and not disclosed; there can be interruption of the service (likely permanent?) upon the death of one person; the private funding might not be sufficient and a turn to advertising would need to be taken; not a word is said about copyright in the FAQ. These points are in the [http://archive.today/faq.html archive.today FAQ]. As an aside - much has been said here about robots.txt. The robots.txt file is a standard; it appears to imply no contract nor have a legal standing as an enforceable command. This is an interesting page on the topic &rarr; http://www.robotstxt.org/faq/legal.html . --User:Ceyockey (<small>''[[User talk:Ceyockey|talk to me]]''</small>) 14:33, 3 July 2014 (UTC)
Wow, Wikipedians and their paranoid delusions about anything that isn't a non-profit.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Re: "archive.is" added to the spam blacklist

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:08 pm

What archive services are still allowed?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:15 pm

Morons.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:16 pm

Wayback machine is allowed. Here's a list of others.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:20 pm

Kingsindian wrote:Wayback machine is allowed. Here's a list of others.
Wayback Machine is part of Archive.org, which is virtually a sister project to WP. Part of the dislike of Archive.is no doubt relates to the strong support of Archive.org.

RfB
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

mendaliv
Habitué
Wikipedia User: mendaliv

Unread post by mendaliv » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:38 pm

The big disadvantage of archive.org is that it respects robots.txt, even retroactively (i.e., if a site that's still live adds a robots.txt covering an address that matches something they have archived, they won't retrieve that thing anymore).

I am going to go against the grain though and suggest that there may be a good reason to avoid some web archives (though I don't know anything about archive.is other than that it's really useful). If, for instance, the archive isn't responsive to DMCA takedowns or similar processes, there might be liability reasons not to link to them for unrelated, legitimate archival. Of course, going by what's being said here, that seems not to be what people are worried about.
“It is a fair summary of history to say that the safeguards of liberty have frequently been forged in controversies involving not very nice people.” United States v. Rabinowitz, 339 U.S. 56, 68, 69 (1950) (Frankfurter, J. dissenting).

greybeard
Habitué

Unread post by greybeard » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:56 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:Wayback Machine is part of Archive.org, which is virtually a sister project to WP.
Huh? I know Brewster, and know of no relationship between Archive.org and any WMF project. Archive.org crawls en.wp just like anyone else.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:25 pm

Do any of those platforms allow the lowly user to create a real-time archive shot of any website, on demand? I don't think so, but I'll be happy to be shown I'm wrong.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:43 pm

thekohser wrote:
Do any of those platforms allow the lowly user to create a real-time archive shot of any website, on demand? I don't think so, but I'll be happy to be shown I'm wrong.
Wayback Machine started doing this a couple/few years ago. The main limitation is, as I mentioned above, they're a little overzealous when it comes to a robots.txt exclusion. There's a "save page now" box on the bottom right of web.archive.org. Or you can just append the URL to be archived to the end of http://web.archive.org/save/

Here's an archive of Wikipediocracy's landing page: http://web.archive.org/web/201604142043 ... ocracy.com
“It is a fair summary of history to say that the safeguards of liberty have frequently been forged in controversies involving not very nice people.” United States v. Rabinowitz, 339 U.S. 56, 68, 69 (1950) (Frankfurter, J. dissenting).

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:23 pm

greybeard wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:Wayback Machine is part of Archive.org, which is virtually a sister project to WP.
Huh? I know Brewster, and know of no relationship between Archive.org and any WMF project. Archive.org crawls en.wp just like anyone else.
I think that at one time Archive.org was in some difficulties and WMF thought that it would be a good idea to take it over, but nothing came of the idea.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:34 am

greybeard wrote:
They play footsies.

RfB
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

ats
Regular

Unread post by ats » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:43 am

mendaliv wrote:
thekohser wrote:
Wayback Machine started doing this a couple/few years ago. The main limitation is, as I mentioned above, they're a little overzealous when it comes to a robots.txt exclusion. There's a "save page now" box on the bottom right of web.archive.org. Or you can just append the URL to be archived to the end of http://web.archive.org/save/

Here's an archive of Wikipediocracy's landing page: http://web.archive.org/web/201604142043 ... ocracy.com
any site that will retroactively delete things because of changes to robots.txt IS NOT AN ARCHIVE. and honestly, robots.txt has no bearing on a single page snapshot, it's entire point is/was to prevent the industrial spiders from taking down websites due to excess demand. Anyone expecting an on demand web tool to obey robots.txt is a moron and if they are that up in arms about it, then they need to vote to sever all ties with basically every major player on the internet including blocking google! Cause yes, google has multiple tools that ignore robots.txt (as they should).

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:53 am

ats wrote:
mendaliv wrote:
thekohser wrote:

any site that will retroactively delete things because of changes to robots.txt IS NOT AN ARCHIVE. and honestly, robots.txt has no bearing on a single page snapshot, it's entire point is/was to prevent the industrial spiders from taking down websites due to excess demand. Anyone expecting an on demand web tool to obey robots.txt is a moron and if they are that up in arms about it, then they need to vote to sever all ties with basically every major player on the internet including blocking google! Cause yes, google has multiple tools that ignore robots.txt (as they should).
*shrug* The wayback snapshot feature worked great for archiving the web sources for the journal articles I was editing last year. Crap on the Venezuelan Constitutional Court's website has a tendency to get moved around, breaking links in print sources quite horribly.

Yeah, it's not likely going to keep records of the hilarious, embarrassing crap some idiot posted on a forum they control... but that's probably not something that belongs on Wikipedia in the first place.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:46 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/David_Auerbach_%282nd_nomination%29&diff=715263855
DracoEssentialis wrote:repairing links. Why in the motherloving hell is archive dot is on the spam blacklist? You people...
See this thread for the context.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:35 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/David_Auerbach_%282nd_nomination%29&diff=715263855
DracoEssentialis wrote:repairing links. Why in the motherloving hell is archive dot is on the spam blacklist? You people...
See this thread for the context.
That edit and a whole lot more have been revdelled.

unwanted
Critic
Wikipedia User: Kww

Unread post by unwanted » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:46 pm

Nothing outrageous about my logic at all. Wikipedia was attacked by a botnet adding links to archive.is, and I saw (and still see) no reason to believe that people that use botnets can be trusted.

And before some idiot says "you can't prove it was a botnet", I'll laugh at you in advance. No legitimate network includes IP addresses from cable and DSL modems in dozens of countries.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:13 pm

unwanted wrote:Nothing outrageous about my logic at all. Wikipedia was attacked by a botnet adding links to archive.is, and I saw (and still see) no reason to believe that people that use botnets can be trusted.

And before some idiot says "you can't prove it was a botnet", I'll laugh at you in advance. No legitimate network includes IP addresses from cable and DSL modems in dozens of countries.
Well, can you prove that any of the archive.is additions were not beneficial? Regardless of the source IP, they seemed to be helping and IMO it's better to allow them to do that than to have thousands of dead links. Your arguments amount to nothing more than IP editing is bad fear mongering.

unwanted
Critic

Unread post by unwanted » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:20 pm

Kumioko wrote:
unwanted wrote:Nothing outrageous about my logic at all. Wikipedia was attacked by a botnet adding links to archive.is, and I saw (and still see) no reason to believe that people that use botnets can be trusted.

Well, can you prove that any of the archive.is additions were not beneficial? Regardless of the source IP, they seemed to be helping and IMO it's better to allow them to do that than to have thousands of dead links. Your arguments amount to nothing more than IP editing is bad fear mongering.
No: there's a distinction between someone that edits anonymously and someone that breaks into people's computers and commandeers them against their owner's will. And, once someone has performed that criminal act, what reason do you have to expect them to not use those links for malicious purposes, such as, for example, breaking into people's computers and commandeering them against their owner's will?

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:57 pm

unwanted wrote:
Kumioko wrote:

No: there's a distinction between someone that edits anonymously and someone that breaks into people's computers and commandeers them against their owner's will. And, once someone has performed that criminal act, what reason do you have to expect them to not use those links for malicious purposes, such as, for example, breaking into people's computers and commandeering them against their owner's will?
What ever gave you the idea they broke into someone's computer?

I'm not saying they didn't necessarily, but it seems unlikely that this particular website did it.

What is more likely to me is that some folks who allow their websites to be archived with archive.is also work as partner sites to help process the load of various work tasks. Given the size, purpose and popularity of Wikipedia, I would argue that making sure it was updated with their most recent updates would be a reasonable use of resources.

Maybe I am just naive and assuming too much good faith here, but I am not prepared to jump off the cliff assuming criminal intent either.

unwanted
Critic

Unread post by unwanted » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:41 am

Kumioko wrote: Maybe I am just naive and assuming too much good faith here
There's no maybe about it. That attack was widespread, long-lived, and incorporated hijacked consumer computers from all over the world.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:53 am

unwanted wrote:
There's no maybe about it. That attack was widespread, long-lived, and incorporated hijacked consumer computers from all over the world.
Please provide some refs. I would like to read up on that. I don't remember seeing anything about that hacking event mentioned in any media, blogs or articles.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:15 am

Kumioko wrote:
unwanted wrote:
Please provide some refs. I would like to read up on that. I don't remember seeing anything about that hacking event mentioned in any media, blogs or articles.
Botnet-powered anything is hardly news these days.

I think it's a little silly to assume there's any more ill intent than to promote the use of archive.is as an archival service. But I also agree that the expense typically involved in contracting a botnet controlling organization makes it unlikely that someone did it to promote the use of archive.is out of the goodness in their heart. If we assume the people who control archive.is did, in fact, hire a botnet to promote themselves, they're very likely the type of organization that could be flipped bad overnight.

Of course, are we being naive to assume the links to archive.is content on-wiki would generate so many click-throughs as to enable any serious enterprise, whether compromising computers through attack sites or through other means? Do that many readers actually click on refs? And of those, do that many readers click archived refs? Certainly we can argue that "even one is too many" when it comes to enabling an attack site to reach people, but I seriously doubt how effective using Wikipedia as a vector would be, rather than, say, posting fake Ray-Bans sales on Facebook, or "Check out this one sneaky trick to lose weight" links on Twitter.

unwanted
Critic

Unread post by unwanted » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:12 am

mendaliv wrote:I seriously doubt how effective using Wikipedia as a vector would be, rather than, say, posting fake Ray-Bans sales on Facebook, or "Check out this one sneaky trick to lose weight" links on Twitter.
Being a genius and being a criminal rarely go hand-in-hand.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:56 am

unwanted wrote:
mendaliv wrote:I seriously doubt how effective using Wikipedia as a vector would be, rather than, say, posting fake Ray-Bans sales on Facebook, or "Check out this one sneaky trick to lose weight" links on Twitter.
That is the general wisdom, but geniuses probably don't get caught nearly as often as people with sub-normal intelligence. See "An Introduction to the Study of Criminal Genius".
... because criminologists have historically focused their research on vulnerable populations such as juveniles or prison inmates, almost nothing is known about the patterns of criminal behavior among gifted adults with exceptional cognitive abilities. Indeed, prior to this study, no criminological data had ever been gathered on adult offenders with IQ scores in the genius range.
One fascinating story of a genius who did get caught is that of George Marquardt. He's a self-taught chemist who built his own mass spectrometer to assist in maufacturing vast amounts of illicit drugs.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:57 am

There was also this guy named Heisenburg...but alas, he eventually died!

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:29 am

unwanted wrote:
If it's an ineffective vector, then we can probably agree that the damage threatened is minimal... certainly not much worse than most other low-profile websites going rogue.

But as I argued above, I honestly don't see any case where the Wayback Machine wouldn't allow the page to be archived, yet a link to archive.is would be desirable. The benefit of accommodating edge cases, where you might want an archival link to something Wayback won't touch, by allowing archive.is would be even smaller than the small amount of damage threatened were the site to go rogue.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:24 pm

Geniuses are unlikely to commit the same sort of crimes as the less intelligent. Would they go around mugging people? They are more likely to specialise in undetectable computer hacking, sophisticated fraud and money laundering.

Sentinel
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Feminist

Unread post by Sentinel » Mon May 23, 2016 7:53 am

A new RFC to remove Archive.is from the spam blacklist has been started at Wikipedia:Archive.is RFC 4 (T-H-L).

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon May 23, 2016 12:01 pm

Sentinel wrote:A new RFC to remove Archive.is from the spam blacklist has been started at Wikipedia:Archive.is RFC 4 (T-H-L).
Currently running 10:2 in favour. Dirk Beetstra (T-C-L) opposes on the curious grounds that "this does not address the issues and consensuses of the previous RfCs and a supporting closure would not change anything".

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Mon May 23, 2016 7:35 pm

Poetlister wrote:Currently running 10:2 in favour. Dirk Beetstra (T-C-L) opposes on the curious grounds that "this does not address the issues and consensuses of the previous RfCs and a supporting closure would not change anything".
The previous "consensus" was the result of Kww and others promoting a conspiracy theory and fear-mongering. Kww's nonsense can safely be addressed by simply ignoring it.

unwanted
Critic

Unread post by unwanted » Mon May 23, 2016 10:54 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:
Poetlister wrote:Currently running 10:2 in favour. Dirk Beetstra (T-C-L) opposes on the curious grounds that "this does not address the issues and consensuses of the previous RfCs and a supporting closure would not change anything".
The previous "consensus" was the result of Kww and others promoting a conspiracy theory and fear-mongering. Kww's nonsense can safely be addressed by simply ignoring it.
You have an alternate explanation for the attacks? You think that archive.is somehow accidentally compromised hundreds of unrelated residential and business computers from all over the world and it was all some kind of big misunderstanding?

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Tue May 24, 2016 11:59 am

unwanted wrote:You have an alternate explanation for the attacks? You think that archive.is somehow accidentally compromised hundreds of unrelated residential and business computers from all over the world and it was all some kind of big misunderstanding?
You can't establish whether those machines were actually compromised, and you can't establish who actually operated those machines or what their motivation was either. More importantly, the activity of adding archive.is links was never harmful.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Tue May 24, 2016 2:05 pm

I would like to see the evidence that it was a botnet versus proxies or some sort of social engineering (e.g., posting "Click this link (link to oldid), click edit, click save! Show Wikipedia they can't stop us!" on imageboards).

unwanted
Critic

Unread post by unwanted » Tue May 24, 2016 2:41 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:
unwanted wrote:You have an alternate explanation for the attacks? You think that archive.is somehow accidentally compromised hundreds of unrelated residential and business computers from all over the world and it was all some kind of big misunderstanding?
You can't establish whether those machines were actually compromised, and you can't establish who actually operated those machines or what their motivation was either. More importantly, the activity of adding archive.is links was never harmful.
You going to provide an alternative rational explanation to the computers being compromised? Why blocking a computer in India would result in a computer in Vietnam attempting to make precisely the same edit moments later? Why it remained a game of whack-a-mole for hours and then suddenly stopped? How it was a mix of residential and commercial IPs on unrelated networks?

As to whether the edit they were attempting to add was "harmful" or not being the point, I'll remember that the next time I steal your car to go visit my mother.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue May 24, 2016 4:52 pm

unwanted wrote: You going to provide an alternative rational explanation to the computers being compromised? Why blocking a computer in India would result in a computer in Vietnam attempting to make precisely the same edit moments later? Why it remained a game of whack-a-mole for hours and then suddenly stopped? How it was a mix of residential and commercial IPs on unrelated networks?
They could have been using Hola, which is like a botnet, except that people voluntarily participate.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Tue May 24, 2016 5:53 pm

@Kww: You probably don't realize this, but the motivation for using proxies was actually stated quite plainly in 2010:
Masharabinovich wrote:I had to use a proxy in order to edit, because my ISP's (fiber.cz) network is blocked as proxy.

The blocked range 88.86.96.0/19 is not an anonymous proxy.

It is network of 8192 IP addresses.

And there are a lot of subnetworks owned by different providers inside the range.

You give me no another possibility as to find an anonymous proxy each time I want to edit, because I am not allowed to edit without the proxy, using my ISP's IP.
Masharabinovich identified archive.is as "[his or her] website" on a forum in 2012. The use of proxies was innocuous. Your fellow sysops left Masharabinovich with little choice but to resort to using whatever unblocked proxies were still available. Perhaps if your fellow sysops had actually listened to Masharabinovich and unblocked his or her IP address, this situation would've been avoided. In fact, proactively rangeblocking suspected proxies has always been a bad idea.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Tue May 24, 2016 7:45 pm

Yeah, a lot of weird shit goes down in Eastern European networks. It's a very different internet culture than in the anglosphere, and doing things like jumping around open proxies is not unusual. There's a lot of documentation of things like open proxies in Russian grey hat forums, for instance. I see nothing particularly nefarious about them here, though I would argue that on stability grounds (particularly in comparison to Internet Archive) they should be disfavored.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue May 24, 2016 8:05 pm

Now 20:3 in favour. That's approaching a snow close. I wonder who will have the courage to close it. It would probably have to be an Arb.

ats
Regular

Unread post by ats » Tue May 24, 2016 8:12 pm

mendaliv wrote:Yeah, a lot of weird shit goes down in Eastern European networks. It's a very different internet culture than in the anglosphere, and doing things like jumping around open proxies is not unusual. There's a lot of documentation of things like open proxies in Russian grey hat forums, for instance. I see nothing particularly nefarious about them here, though I would argue that on stability grounds (particularly in comparison to Internet Archive) they should be disfavored.
Part of the issues with Eastern Europe is a distinct lack of available IPs. At one point, a company I worked for had more IPs than any other company or organization outside the US. IIRC we had 3 Class A and an assortment of Class B. We literally had a whole Class A that was dedicated just to testing. By the time I left we were down to a single A and a couple Bs.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Wed May 25, 2016 1:03 am

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Wed May 25, 2016 4:20 am

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:46 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/Archive.is_RFC_4 (permalink)

It's now 40:11 in favor of removing from the blacklist.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:28 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/Archive.is_RFC_4 (permalink)

That's quite a shift from 20:3, but still an overwhelming yes vote.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:15 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Michaeldsuarez wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/Archive.is_RFC_4 (permalink)

That's quite a shift from 20:3, but still an overwhelming yes vote.
Is it me or are the oppose votes attempting to win the 'dumbest collection of words on en.wp' contest?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:10 am

That award went to arbcom when justifying their out of process ban of TDA. This is merely Kww and Dirk flailing like an enraged octopus on its way to the kitchen...

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:44 am

Vigilant wrote:Is it me or are the oppose votes attempting to win the 'dumbest collection of words on en.wp' contest?
If you made a list of such attempts across the whole sitr, I expect that it would be of considerable length. :rotfl:

Incidentally, Hobit (T-C-L) has switched from support to oppose, changing the numbers a bit.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:29 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Vigilant wrote:Is it me or are the oppose votes attempting to win the 'dumbest collection of words on en.wp' contest?
If you made a list of such attempts across the whole sitr, I expect that it would be of considerable length. :rotfl:.
No doubt there would be considerable competition.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:06 pm

The fun part is the argumentation about how no other technical means of preventing archive.is spam is worthy of consideration... even though the blacklist won't ever be 100% effective... and despite my delivery of a tailor-made regex that would catch every addition of an archive.anything link as an edit filter.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:36 pm

The RfC has now closed with consensus found to remove Archive.is from the spam blacklist.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:43 pm

Hex wrote:The RfC has now closed with consensus found to remove Archive.is from the spam blacklist.
Honestly it was a bad decision to add it there in the first place but then look who started the RFC in the first place (I'll save you the trouble of looking it was Kww (T-C-L)).