HRIP7
Denizen
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

"F*ck the community, who cares"

Unread post by HRIP7 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:06 pm

There is currently an emotionally charged discussion on the Wikimedia-l mailing list, sparked by this post from Tomasz Kozlowski:
This week's issue of the English Wikipedia Signpost delivers mildly shocking news about the opinion of a "prominent female Wikimedian (...) about the meaning of the movement and the role of the chapters" as expressed during the Boards training workshop that took place between March 1-2 in London.

The Wikimedian is quoted by the treasurer of Wikimedia Deutschland, Steffen Prößdorf, as saying: "if we can buy free knowledge, we should do that [and] just forget about the communities" and "Fuck the community, who cares."

I understand that the identity of the person will remain secret, given that there is no public list of attendees of the workshop, so let me just say that the idea that chapters can "fuck the community" is absolutely unacceptable and should by rejected by all chapters immediately.

Read more at:
* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _and_notes>
* <http://steproe.wordpress.com/2014/04/05 ... utschland/>
Frankly, just coming from the Cwmhiraeth editor review, I wonder whether the person who said that might just have had a point.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Re: "F*ck the community, who cares"

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:51 pm

In my experience, "the community" on Wikipedia is the small sub-segment of the most contentious, whiny, abusive, and argumentative people that compose what really ought to be "the community", and that is the hundreds of millions of readers of Wikipedia. Therefore, my gut says that this particular "F*ck the community, who cares" is probably mostly on-target.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

dogbiscuit
Retired
Wikipedia User: tiucsibgod

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:10 pm

Time and again the community has said "Fuck the encyclopedia, who cares?" If the community isn't interested in building an encyclopedia, and those who we* would identify as "the community" are more interested in the politics, then I'd agree that they have it right.

I don't think that the WMF really know what the right answer is. Their mind says they are building en encyclopedia, their heart says they are a community, but whenever the WMF have wanted to do something, however incompetent, we see that they see the community as a hindrance rather than a help or a goal of their effort.

On the other hand, if respecting the community means that Gerard is part of the WMF CEO hiring committee having winkled his way in from community, then I also say "Fuck the community!".

*Yes, I know.
Time for a new signature.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:48 pm

HRIP7 wrote:There is currently an emotionally charged discussion on the Wikimedia-l mailing list, sparked by this post from Tomasz Kozlowski:
This week's issue of the English Wikipedia Signpost delivers mildly shocking news about the opinion of a "prominent female Wikimedian (...) about the meaning of the movement and the role of the chapters" as expressed during the Boards training workshop that took place between March 1-2 in London.

The Wikimedian is quoted by the treasurer of Wikimedia Deutschland, Steffen Prößdorf, as saying: "if we can buy free knowledge, we should do that [and] just forget about the communities" and "Fuck the community, who cares."

I understand that the identity of the person will remain secret, given that there is no public list of attendees of the workshop, so let me just say that the idea that chapters can "fuck the community" is absolutely unacceptable and should by rejected by all chapters immediately.

Read more at:
* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _and_notes>
* <http://steproe.wordpress.com/2014/04/05 ... utschland/>
Frankly, just coming from the Cwmhiraeth editor review, I wonder whether the person who said that might just have had a point.
Lol. Try to remain superficial with Cwmhiraeth. Much of what she writes is far worse when you try to technically decipher it, but, because of the word plagiriasm, may lightly read okay with a scan.

You got sucked into the morass.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:50 pm

thekohser wrote:In my experience, "the community" on Wikipedia is the small sub-segment of the most contentious, whiny, abusive, and argumentative people that compose what really ought to be "the community", and that is the hundreds of millions of readers of Wikipedia. Therefore, my gut says that this particular "F*ck the community, who cares" is probably mostly on-target.
I feel sorry for the readers, the general source of my frustration with Cwmhiraeth's articles is that.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:08 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:I feel sorry for the readers, the general source of my frustration with Cwmhiraeth's articles is that.
We do understand that. I'm not sure there's a cure, though. Cwmhiraeths (plural) will always exist because the environment embraces, encourages and "rewards" them with little pictures and badges to put on their page. And they like that.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:37 pm

Jim wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:I feel sorry for the readers, the general source of my frustration with Cwmhiraeth's articles is that.
We do understand that. I'm not sure there's a cure, though. Cwmhiraeths (plural) will always exist because the environment embraces, encourages and "rewards" them with little pictures and badges to put on their page. And they like that.
The WikiCup trophy is not a little picture. Let's strive for accuracy here, too.

:blink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:20 pm

enwikibadscience wrote: The WikiCup trophy is not a little picture. Let's strive for accuracy here, too.

And here's me thinking you'd just freak out at my suggestion of "Cwmhiraeths (plural)". Go figure. :B'

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:24 pm

Jim wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote: The WikiCup trophy is not a little picture. Let's strive for accuracy here, too.

And here's me thinking you'd just freak out at my suggestion of "Cwmhiraeths (plural)". Go figure. :B'
I am not sure she was ever the problem rather than the community that promotes and rewards her work. And I think they already have a name, Randies in Boise.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: <---- Please, only one.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:31 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:I am not sure she was ever the problem rather than the community that promotes and rewards her work.
Yeah, to be fair, you've always said that.
I think you were at great pains to say how nice she probably is, but that the articles are problematic.

Not, I'm afraid, a language Wikipedians can understand. It has to be personal, or where's the fight? It needs to be binary.
And if there's no fight, where's the fun?

Repeat after me: "It's not about building an encyclopedia..."

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Jim wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:I am not sure she was ever the problem rather than the community that promotes and rewards her work.
Yeah, to be fair, you've always said that.
I think you were at great pains to say how nice she probably is, but that the articles are problematic.

Not, I'm afraid, a language Wikipedians can understand. It has to be personal, or where's the fight? It needs to be binary.
And if there's no fight, where's the fun?

Repeat after me: "It's not about building an encyclopedia..."
Your :deadhorse: meets my :deadhorse: .

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:50 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:Your :deadhorse: meets my :deadhorse: .
So long as they don't have babies. I couldn't bear the thought of being responsible for another :deadhorse: on here. I'm thinking of asking the RSPCA (T-H-L) to ban the smiley altogether, frankly.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:30 pm

At this point I pretty much agree wiht the thread in relation to Wikipedia, F*ck the community, who cares". The culture has become part of the problem. The WMF and the site and the culture as a whole only care about the Admins. Editors are viewed as an expendable commodity to be abused, beaten down and thrown away when no longer useful or when they start to see that the system is broken and start trying to change it.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:52 pm

My favorite part: the very first response was a total non-sequitur -- from Fred Bauder.
Once the money an organization obtain from grants out matches anything they get from anywhere else they become autonomous. "Community support" just becomes a box to check.
Plus, Russavia says:
I, for one, don't disagree with paid editing, so long as it is inline with expected community standards.
This, of course, comes from a guy who tried to spam his online business on Wikipedia articles.....

And oh look, there's Fae, stirring up the argument and beating the hornet's nest. Woo hoo.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:08 am

EricBarbour wrote: And oh look, there's Fae, stirring up the argument and beating the hornet's nest. Woo hoo.
It seems that we are back in 1970.

They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:19 am

EricBarbour wrote:And oh look, there's Fae, stirring up the argument and beating the hornet's nest. Woo hoo.
Well, someone will have to take the blame.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.