Mancunium
Habitué
kołdry

Wikimedia law firm fiddles Wikipedia and Jimmy Wales hides

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:06 am

Wikimedia law firm fiddles Wikipedia and Jimmy Wales hides
by Gregory Kohs
Examiner, 25 November 2013 link
Last week, Examiner reported that Wikimedia Foundation law firm Cooley LLP issued a cease and desist letter to a Wikipedia editing company, Wiki-PR, telling them to stop editing Wikipedia -- or else. Yesterday, the other shoe dropped, where it was discovered that Cooley LLP had itself been fiddling with their very own Wikipedia article, to make their practice look better to readers. Today (Monday, November 25), when the evidence of conflict-of-interest editing by single-purpose Cooley accounts was shown to Wikipedia honcho, Jimmy Wales, the encyclopedia co-founder's response was quick and predictable: he closed the discussion and hid it from view, twice. The "do as I say, not as I do" hypocrisy ingrained in Wikipedia insiders continues to rise to astounding new levels. [...]
Good article, Gregory.
former Living Person

Mason
Habitué

Re: Wikimedia law firm fiddles Wikipedia and Jimmy Wales hid

Unread post by Mason » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:35 am

Well, it would certainly be interesting to see what the WMF would do if the community decided to issue the same type of ban to Cooley for their COI editing as they did Wiki-PR.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:37 am

Mason wrote:Well, it would certainly be interesting to see what the WMF would do if the community decided to issue the same type of ban to Cooley for their COI editing as they did Wiki-PR.
Perhaps they can calculate the cost of removing the stuff added and reduce the lawyer's bill accordingly.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:20 pm

I think it would be a nifty idea for Wikipediocracy to issue Cooley LLP a cease and desist letter that basically mimics their letter to Wiki-PR. Is a non-lawfirm entity entitled to issue a cease and desist letter?
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:43 pm

thekohser wrote:I think it would be a nifty idea for Wikipediocracy to issue Cooley LLP a cease and desist letter that basically mimics their letter to Wiki-PR. Is a non-lawfirm entity entitled to issue a cease and desist letter?
Why not? Please send out press releases, also.

NotNormal
Critic
Wikipedia User: morning277
Actual Name: Mike Wood

Unread post by NotNormal » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:31 am

I think it would be a nifty idea for Wikipediocracy to issue Cooley LLP a cease and desist letter that basically mimics their letter to Wiki-PR. Is a non-lawfirm entity entitled to issue a cease and desist letter?
Wow! Thanks, Greg. I finally get to use that law degree. A cease and desist letter has no legal affect. It is like telling someone to stop picking on you or you will tell the teacher. Even when someone does tell the teacher (e.g., files for an injunction), the cease and desist letter still means nothing (e.g., it is the injunction that has the affect). It is similar to a demand letter that an attorney would send to a person or company telling them that they are going to sue them but would like to discuss the issue prior to proceeding in court (e.g. the "demand letter" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demand_letter).

The fact is that the WMF knows that they have no stance in the matter. If it did, it would have filed for an injunction instead of wasting more of the money it receives in donations from unsuspecting donors. The only reason they sent the C&D, AND leaked it to the press is because they stated that were going to take every measure necessary and"still investigating" and using other similar phrases that backed the WMF into a corner. They forced their own hands on this one.

Also, after the Cooley page and Greg's article, I am beginning to think that the WMF has got to be one of the easiest places to get a job. I mean, seriously......."lights are on, no one is home,"........."one beer shy of a six pack,"..........."fill in any additional sarcastic comment here."
Mike Wood a.k.a morning277 a.k.a whatever in the hell Wikipedia editors want to call me today.

Bielle
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Bielle
Wikipedia Review Member: Bielle

Unread post by Bielle » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:37 am

NotNormal wrote:
Wow! Thanks, Greg. I finally get to use that law degree. A cease and desist letter has no legal affect. It is like telling someone to stop picking on you or you will tell the teacher. Even when someone does tell the teacher (e.g., files for an injunction), the cease and desist letter still means nothing (e.g., it is the injunction that has the affect). It is similar to a demand letter that an attorney would send to a person or company telling them that they are going to sue them but would like to discuss the issue prior to proceeding in court (e.g. the "demand letter" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demand_letter).

The fact is that the WMF knows that they have no stance in the matter. If it did, it would have filed for an injunction instead of wasting more of the money it receives in donations from unsuspecting donors. The only reason they sent the C&D, AND leaked it to the press is because they stated that were going to take every measure necessary and"still investigating" and using other similar phrases that backed the WMF into a corner. They forced their own hands on this one.

Also, after the Cooley page and Greg's article, I am beginning to think that the WMF has got to be one of the easiest places to get a job. I mean, seriously......."lights are on, no one is home,"........."one beer shy of a six pack,"..........."fill in any additional sarcastic comment here."
But then it shows up on your resume.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:28 am

thekohser wrote:I think it would be a nifty idea for Wikipediocracy to issue Cooley LLP a cease and desist letter that basically mimics their letter to Wiki-PR. Is a non-lawfirm entity entitled to issue a cease and desist letter?
Don't play with cobras.

RfB

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:41 am

Randy from Boise wrote:Don't play with cobras.
Bah. The chances of getting any response whatsoever to such a missive from Cooley LLP are on the order of 0.00001 percent. It's not like they can deny what they've been doing on WP, and presumably nobody involved has broken any actual laws, so there would be no upside for them.

Still, it might make an amusing blog post or what-not! :)

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:45 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Bah. The chances of getting any response whatsoever to such a missive from Cooley LLP are on the order of 0.00001 percent. It's not like they can deny what they've been doing on WP, and presumably nobody involved has broken any actual laws, so there would be no upside for them.

As a blog post it would have parody protection too.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:42 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:

As a blog post it would have parody protection too.
I could mail the letter from Japan.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Anyone here with OCR capability firmly in their back pocket, that you could scan the Cooley C-and-D, to get it into editable text format for me? (I used to do OCR conversion with DjVu for some work on Wikisource, but it's probably been two years and two different laptops since I've last done it. I'd be back at near-novice skill level, but I could do it if nobody else steps in.)
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Cedric
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Edeans
Wikipedia Review Member: Cedric
Actual Name: Eddie Singleton

Unread post by Cedric » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:38 pm

NotNormal wrote:
Mostly correct. A "C&D" can have some legal effect in the context of those few causes of action that require some notice to be given to the defendant before bringing suit. But mostly, a C&D is just a demand letter, as Mr. Wood suggests.

As far as demand letters go, Cooley's is rather amusing (i.e., it sucks). Note that although the letter goes on for three pages, it fails to cite any legal authority. Not one. In a Wikipedia context, this is like having all the loquacity of Newyorkbrad, but none of his competence. Even a "brilliant" (i.e., thick as a brick) internet lawyer like Mike Godwin knows something of how to make use of a legal authority, even though it is neither the most recent nor the most pertinent to the subject in hand.

In fairness to Mr. Gunn, however, we should note that this particular letter may not be representative of his work; it may have slipped out of the office on a day when he was harried with far more important and pressing matters. This is not an unusual thing to happen in a busy practice. It would also explain why the letter has every appearance of being originally drafted and approved at WMF headquarters with only the most minor revisions from Mr. Gunn, or his secretary, before going out with his signature. I suspect he did not know the WMF intended to immediately make the actual text public, otherwise he would have taken greater care (one would hope, anyway).

As far as WO sending out its own "C&D" (hee, hee!) is concerned, it is probably worth noting that although engaging in hypocritical behavior does not appear to be a violation of the California Rules of Professional Conduct, misrepresenting Wikipedia's "Terms of Service" to bolster a proposed cause of action very well might be.

All of this is by way of critique, of course. No legal advice is being given here . . .

[/center]

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:22 pm

thekohser wrote:Anyone here with OCR capability firmly in their back pocket, that you could scan the Cooley C-and-D, to get it into editable text format for me? (I used to do OCR conversion with DjVu for some work on Wikisource, but it's probably been two years and two different laptops since I've last done it. I'd be back at near-novice skill level, but I could do it if nobody else steps in.)
Emailed Greg the OCR editable text as a Word Doc.

Raw text below.

Code: Select all

Cooley LLP
Patrick P. Gunn
T: +14156932070
pgunn@cooley.com

November 19, 2013

Via Email To:

Jordan French
Chief Executive Officer, Wiki-PR

Re: Wiki-PR and Paid Advocacy Editing

Dear Mr. French,

As you are aware, our law firm has been retained by the Wikimedia Foundation to support the Foundation's review of reports that Wiki-PR has been engaging in paid advocacy editing. The Wikimedia Foundation operates a number of websites, including Wikipedia, a free-content encyclopedia project that contains more than 30 million volunteer-authored articles in nearly 290 languages. With half a billion readers, Wikipedia is a critical informational resource for people all over the world.
The Wikimedia community of volunteer writers, editors, photographers, and other contributors has built Wikipedia into the world's most popular encyclopedia, with a reputation for transparency, objectivity, and lack of bias. When outside publicity firms and their agents conceal or misrepresent their identity by creating or allowing false, unauthorized, or misleading user accounts, Wikipedia's reputation is harmed. This practice, which sometimes referred to as sockpuppetry or meatpuppetry, is expressly prohibited by Wikipedia's Terms of Use.
Sockpuppetry and meatpuppetry are especially harmful when used to disguise secret works of advocacy purchased by clients to promote a particular product, idea or agenda. Such editing practices are improper and damaging for a variety of reasons. For one thing, they violate core community editing policies, such as neutrality and verifiability, and intentionally circumvent Wikipedia's policies on conflict of interest and editor misrepresentation. In addition, these practices pose a substantial burden on the volunteer Wikipedia community. By seeking to gain a commercial benefit from the Wikipedia brand, these publicityfirms are attempting to profit from the substantial time and effort invested by the Wikipedia volunteer community. Furthermore, Wikipedia community members are effectively forced to shoulder the costs of for-profit, commercial paid advocacy editing because they must continuously search for false accounts and suspend them. This squanders valuable volunteer time, to the detriment of the entire Wikipedia community. 
It is also clear that publicity firms engaging in paid advocacy editing on Wikipedia risk seriously damaging the reputations of their own clients. This is because companies involved in self promotional activities on Wikipedia have come under heavy criticism from the press and the general public, with their actions widely viewed as inconsistent with Wikipedia's educational mission.
November 19, 2013
Page Two

As we have discussed with you previously, we have come to the opinion that, based on the evidence that we have to date, that agent(s) of your company have engaged in sockpuppetry or meatpuppetry to, among other things, make it appear as if certain articles are written by unbiased sources when in fact those articles are authored by Wiki-PR for money. As we have explained to you,1 this practice violates the Wikimedia Foundation's Terms of Use, including but not limited to Section 4, which prohibits users from “[e]ngaging in [f]alse [s]tatements, [i]mpersonation, or [f]raud," and “…misrepresenting your affiliation with any individual or entity, or using the username of another user with the intent to deceive[.]"2 This practice also gives rise to a number of potential legal claims, including statutory and common law fraud, unfair business practices, breach of contract, and trespass to chattels. 
In addition to these practices, our investigation has also uncovered evidence suggesting that Wiki-PR may have confused correspondent(s) concerning its relationship with the Wikimedia Foundation. This concerns us given that the Wikimedia Foundation has sent you two previous letters charging prior misuse of our trademark on your site.3 
As you are aware, the Wikimedia community - which consists of independent volunteers operating separately from the Wikimedia Foundation - recently banned Wiki-PR and its agents from further editing the Wikipedia site. The ban, adopted on October 25, 2013, reads as follows: 
Employees, contractors, owners, and anyone who derives financial benefit from editing the English Wikipedia on behalf of Wiki-PR.com or its founders are banned from editing the English Wikipedia. This ban has been enacted because Wiki-PR.com has, as an organization, proven themselves repeatedly unable or unwilling to adhere to our basic community standards. This ban as a whole may be appealed at WP:AN at any time that Wiki-PR.com as an organization is willing to (a) divulge a complete list of all past sock and meatpuppet accounts that they have used, (b) divulge a complete list of all articles they have edited that they have received any financial benefit from whatsoever, and (c) pledge to, in the future, only edit under transparent, disclosed accounts and adhere as closely as they are able to all of Wikipedia's content policies. Individual accounts blocked under this ban may be unblocked if any uninvolved administrator honestly believes that it is more likely than not that the individual account in question is not connected to Wiki-PR.
1 That this practice violates the Wikimedia Foundation's Terms of Use has also been made abundantly clear in the Wikimedia Foundation's recent public statement decrying the practice of paid advocacy editing. See Statement from Sue Gardner, Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation, in response to paid advocacy editing and sockpuppetry, available at:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wikilPress releases/Sue Gardner statement paid advocacy editing 
2 See Wikimedia Foundation Terms of Use, available at:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Terms of Use.
3  Although this letter does not purport to cover these issues, we continue to investigate potential trademark violations and reserve the right to address them at a later time.

November 19, 2013
Page Three

In your communications with me and the Foundation, you have stated your intent to work with the community to satisfy its conditions for lifting the ban. Yet, yesterday, you admitted that WikiPR has continued to actively market paid advocacy editing services despite the ban - consistent with evidence that we have discovered independently. This is deeply troubling, and suggests that Wiki-PR is circumventing the ban at the same time it professes to engage with the community about complying with it. 
To avoid additional injury, the Wikimedia Foundation hereby demands that Wiki-PR, its owners, employees, contractors, agents, and anyone acting on its behalf or in concert with it, cease and desist from further editing of the Wikipedia website unless and until you have fully complied with the terms and conditions outlined by the Wikimedia community. Furthermore, you must agree to comply with any policies, guidelines or requirements promulgated by either the Foundation (including its Board) or the Wikipedia community in the future, including, but not limited to, any rules affecting paid editing. Should you fail to comply with the terms of this cease and desist letter, Wikimedia Foundation is prepared to take any necessary legal action to protect its rights.4 
Please contact me by November 22, 2013, to confirm that you have received this letter and understand that you, Wiki-PR, and its agents are prohibited from editing the Wikipedia website until you comply with the terms set forth above.
Sincerely,

Patrick P. Gunn

4 Given the potential for litigation, especially if Wiki-PR fails to comply with this cease and desist letter, Wikimedia Foundation further requests that Wiki-PR preserve all documents and other materials that may be relevant to this dispute, including, but not limited to, information pertaining to the user accounts WikiPR or anyone acting on Wiki-PR's behalf has used to create or edit articles.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

NotNormal
Critic

Unread post by NotNormal » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:10 pm

As far as demand letters go, Cooley's is rather amusing (i.e., it sucks).
Best opening sentence to a paragraph ever!!!!!
Mike Wood a.k.a morning277 a.k.a whatever in the hell Wikipedia editors want to call me today.

NotNormal
Critic

Unread post by NotNormal » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:12 pm

A "C&D" can have some legal effect in the context of those few causes of action that require some notice to be given to the defendant before bringing suit.
And, yes. This is true. Lien notices, collection letters in certain states, foreclosures, evictions, etc. Maybe the WMF feels they are "evicting" Wiki-PR from the site?

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:59 am

NotNormal wrote:
A "C&D" can have some legal effect in the context of those few causes of action that require some notice to be given to the defendant before bringing suit.
And, yes. This is true. Lien notices, collection letters in certain states, foreclosures, evictions, etc. Maybe the WMF feels they are "evicting" Wiki-PR from the site?
In some common law jurisdictions outside the US (and yes, the rest of the world does actually exist) a judge would throw the parties out of the courtroom if they hadn't gone through often quite protracted alternative dispute resolution before they filed their pleadings.
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

NotNormal
Critic

Unread post by NotNormal » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:25 am

(and yes, the rest of the world does actually exist)
Fully aware, but thanks for pointing that out. Focusing on US since Cooley is a US law firm, WMF is a US non-profit, and Wiki-PR is a US business. I guess if all else fails, Wiki-PR can move its headquarters to China.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:59 pm

Smallbones (T-C-L) may need to change his user name to Smallbrain.

It appears that Wikipedia is not allowed to present the "additional" information about Cooley LLP employees' Wikipedia editing prior to their issuance of a cease-and-desist letter against undisclosed paid editing. Is there an editor in good standing who feels ethically compelled to revert Mr. Bones there?

Furthermore, it appears the Small one is also unwilling to let the world evaluate whether all of the user accounts attributed by Wikipedia admins to Wiki-PR were actually owned and operated by Wiki-PR. It seems to me that the International Business Times story is properly researched, but because it concludes that Wikipedia admins and the subsequent media reports are "oversimplified or dead wrong", and we can't have Wikipedia admins portrayed as that, can we? I will likewise ask of this deleted edit, is there an editor in good standing who feels ethically compelled to revert Smallbones there?

Carrite, Scott Martin, and other supporters of Wikipedia's eventual progress toward truth and knowledge, where do you stand on Smallbones' single-handed campaign to suppress particular bits of information that would have helped the reader gain a broader perspective on the Wiki-PR affair?

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:34 pm

NotNormal wrote:
In some areas of law (notably, copyright), a "demand letter" or a "cease and desist letter" is a requirement of litigation, and matter brought to the court without a prior demand letter risks being dismissed. Courts, in the interest of promoting "judicial economy", like to see evidence that the parties made some credible effort to resolve whatever dispute they had before invoking the judicial system, and punish attorneys who fail to make such an effort without good cause.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:40 pm

thekohser wrote:Smallbones (T-C-L) may need to change his user name to Smallbrain.
Well, what do you know... Smallbones' first edit after I posted my comment here relates to a building about a 12-minute walk from my office.

That certainly doesn't seem statistically random, but we must assume good faith!

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:50 pm

thekohser wrote:
thekohser wrote:Smallbones (T-C-L) may need to change his user name to Smallbrain.
Well, what do you know... Smallbones' first edit after I posted my comment here relates to a building about a 12-minute walk from my office.

That certainly doesn't seem statistically random, but we must assume good faith!
I would be careful, he could be a Wikpedian nut job, a stalker, or maybe some kind of Bond villain.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:13 pm

mac wrote:
thekohser wrote:

I would be careful, he could be a Wikpedian nut job, a stalker, or maybe some kind of Bond villain.
Greg ain't scared of no wikipediot, fool.
This is not a signature.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:48 pm

Forbes says that Cooley LLP is the 2nd best professional services or consulting firm at which one might work. Forbes didn't mention that one of the perks is being able to edit Wikipedia on company time.