Andy Dingley - misappropriated scans?

Mancunium
Habitué
kołdry

Andy Dingley - misappropriated scans?

Unread post by Mancunium » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:23 pm

Does anyone familiar with Wikimedia Commons know how long it takes for them to remove copyright-protected pictures?

I made my request to the person who posted them, and to Jimbo Wales, by email on 15 July, and have yet to receive a reply from either of them: link

There are 123 misappropriated files in this category: link
former Living Person

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Michaeldsuarez
Wikipedia Review Member: Michaeldsuarez

Re: Andy Dingley - misappropriated scans?

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:36 pm

Mancunium wrote:Does anyone familiar with Wikimedia Commons know how long it takes for them to remove copyright-protected pictures?

I made my request to the person who posted them, and to Jimbo Wales, by email on 15 July, and have yet to receive a reply from either of them: link

Look at Andy Dingley's talk page. Ask Stefan4 for help. Stefan4 seems to be familiar with Andy Dingley and his or her copyright violations.

Moonage Daydream
Habitué

Unread post by Moonage Daydream » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:38 pm

Mancunium wrote:Does anyone familiar with Wikimedia Commons know how long it takes for them to remove copyright-protected pictures?

Ask Andy Dingley to nominate them for speedy deletion as copyright violations per COM:PRP. Or approach an admin of his choice to have them deleted on the same grounds. Deleting the category won't delete the files. Andy should know that.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:48 pm

Thank you, both. I don't have a WP account and, in any case, Dingley is currently blocked: link
former Living Person

Moonage Daydream
Habitué

Unread post by Moonage Daydream » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:15 pm

Mancunium wrote:Thank you, both. I don't have a WP account and, in any case, Dingley is currently blocked: link
He isn't blocked on Commons. How did you get in touch with him before?

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:26 am

Mancunium wrote:Thank you, both. I don't have a WP account.
Oh, in that case, I'll request speedy deletion myself.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:58 am

Thank you.
Moonage Daydream wrote:
Mancunium wrote:Thank you, both. I don't have a WP account and, in any case, Dingley is currently blocked: link
He isn't blocked on Commons. How did you get in touch with him before?
Through Facebook: link

I've also sent messages to Jimmy Wales at this account: link
former Living Person

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:25 am

"Hedwig in Washington‎" deleted all 123 images. Thank you, Hedwig.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:56 am

Michaeldsuarez wrote:"Hedwig in Washington‎" deleted all 123 images. Thank you, Hedwig.
How quickly they move when they know they're being watched.

Thanks again for your help
-Alex
former Living Person

Scott5114
Critic
Wikipedia User: Scott5114

Unread post by Scott5114 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:17 am

In the future, it might be better to click the "Contact us" link on the left side of the page and send an email to whichever address is appropriate. As I understand it these emails are logged to a system (called OTRS) that provides somewhat of an audit trail, albeit not one that's public, and doesn't depend on convincing any one person to act (there's dozens of people who volunteer to manage that inbox).

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:21 am

Scott5114 wrote:(there's dozens of people who volunteer to manage that inbox).
Yes, but how many actually do anything, and of those how many are admins with deletion powers?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:59 am

Mancunium wrote:
Michaeldsuarez wrote:"Hedwig in Washington‎" deleted all 123 images. Thank you, Hedwig.

-Alex
The images were deleted because I used "Template:Speedy" instead of "Template:Delete", not because they were watching this thread. Deletion discussions that don't involve nudity tend to not receive much attention.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:27 pm

Scott5114 wrote:In the future, it might be better to click the "Contact us" link on the left side of the page and send an email to whichever address is appropriate. As I understand it these emails are logged to a system (called OTRS) that provides somewhat of an audit trail, albeit not one that's public, and doesn't depend on convincing any one person to act (there's dozens of people who volunteer to manage that inbox).
Thank you. I had never noticed the contact link.
In order to get quick help with copyright violations or similar issues, you can send an email to a team of volunteer helpers of the project: info-en-c@wikimedia.org. Please state:
The precise reason of your inquiry.
The page(s) or image(s) of concern.
Please note that this is an informal but direct and discreet contact with respect to legal matters provided by volunteers, for official contact see Commons:General disclaimer.

If you prefer to use the process of a formal DMCA/OCILLA request, you can send it to the Wikimedia Foundation's designated agent.
The Commons General Disclaimer, which I had never viewed before, states:
None of the authors, contributors, sponsors, administrators, sysops, or anyone else connected with Wikimedia Commons in any way whatsoever can be responsible for the appearance of any inaccurate or libelous information or for your use of the information contained in or linked from these web pages.

Wikimedia Commons is not uniformly peer reviewed; while readers may correct errors or remove erroneous suggestions they have no legal duty to do so and thus all information seen here is without any implied warranty of fitness for any purpose or use whatsoever.

No consequential damages can be sought against Wikimedia Commons, as it is a voluntary association of individuals developed freely to create various open source online educational, cultural and informational resources.

Thank you for spending the time to read this page, and please enjoy your experience at Wikimedia Commons.
And thank you, anonymous editors of the General Disclaimer (most recently Odder, Philippe and Mattbuck). It's been a pleasure doing business with you.
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:35 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:
Mancunium wrote:

-Alex
The images were deleted because I used "Template:Speedy" instead of "Template:Delete", not because they were watching this thread. Deletion discussions that don't involve nudity tend to not receive much attention.
It was very kind of you to help me. Thank you, and please extend my thanks to Hedwig, if you should ever happen to meet her, or him.
former Living Person

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Mancunium wrote:
Michaeldsuarez wrote:
Mancunium wrote:
-Alex
It was very kind of you to help me. Thank you, and please extend my thanks to Hedwig, if you should ever happen to meet her, or him.
Seriously, I'm amazed that you got such quick action. Very lucky.

In the past it was not unusual for OTRS or DMCA takedown requests to Commons to simply disappear, whether adult material was involved or not.
Perhaps there is actually a WMF employee being paid to insure these requests are being processed. A miracle. (On the other hand......naaah.)

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:44 pm

Mancunium wrote:It was very kind of you to help me. Thank you, and please extend my thanks to Hedwig, if you should ever happen to meet her, or him.
You're welcome. I allowed Hedwig to know how you feel, and he said that he or she appreciates it, although he or she doesn't want too much credit.
EricBarbour wrote:Seriously, I'm amazed that you got such quick action. Very lucky.

In the past it was not unusual for OTRS or DMCA takedown requests to Commons to simply disappear, whether adult material was involved or not.
Perhaps there is actually a WMF employee being paid to insure these requests are being processed. A miracle. (On the other hand......naaah.)
I don't believe that it has anything to do with the WMF. "Template:Speedy" usually receives a speedy response. I've done this before.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:47 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:
Mancunium wrote:It was very kind of you to help me. Thank you, and please extend my thanks to Hedwig, if you should ever happen to meet her, or him.
You're welcome. I allowed Hedwig to know how you feel, and he said that he or she appreciates it, although he or she doesn't want too much credit.
EricBarbour wrote:Seriously, I'm amazed that you got such quick action. Very lucky.

I don't believe that it has anything to do with the WMF. "Template:Speedy" usually receives a speedy response. I've done this before.
Good job, and entirely within policy.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:44 pm

Andy Dingley and a few others seem bend on transforming Stefan4 into the next Pieter Kuiper (permalink). Despite more or less donating content to the public via free licenses, Commons users are possessive and become extremely offended when their uploaded content is nominated for deletion. Dingley and "Coat of Many Colours" are clearly taking the proposals for deletion far too personally.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:58 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:Andy Dingley and a few others seem bend on transforming Stefan4 into the next Pieter Kuiper (permalink). Despite more or less donating content to the public via free licenses, Commons users are possessive and become extremely offended when their uploaded content is nominated for deletion. Dingley and "Coat of Many Colours" are clearly taking the deletions far too personally.
Well... except for the fact that Stefan1?2?3?4?5 is one of those guys who wanders around looking for things to delete, on any pretext. I'm not saying that's necessarily wrong, per se, but it's unlikely to win you an army of friends.

Even Beta/Delta/Werieth has to sock and lie to run his bots now, despite his friends in high places.

There's a dichotomy in "hosting all human knowledge", "freedom from rulz and censorship", frei-kultur, being in the top 10 respectable websites, et al. There will be casualties and skirmishes. Hell, for some of these guys the whole point is casualties and skirmishes.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:07 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:Andy Dingley and a few others seem bend on transforming Stefan4 into the next Pieter Kuiper (permalink). Despite more or less donating content to the public via free licenses, Commons users are possessive and become extremely offended when their uploaded content is nominated for deletion. Dingley and "Coat of Many Colours" are clearly taking the proposals for deletion far too personally.
Like so many editors and ex-contributors here, I'd leave this project if I could. Certainly it's not big enough for both of us here. Stefan is one of the major reasons why I've stopped contributing to Commons, after thousands of past uploads. Andy Dingley (talk) 11:09, 12 March 2014 (UTC)
I wish I knew how to quit you.
former Living Person

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:11 pm

Mancunium wrote:I wish I knew how to quit you.
:XD
Don't get me wrong - I'm unlikely to take Dingley's side on much - but it's far from unfair to characterise Stefan(n) as an irritating, often pointlessly destructive, obsessive, IMHO.

Probably a cagefight, with mud, would help.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Thryduulf bumped the thread and demanded action even though Stefan4 isn't presently active, and every time I comment, Thryduulf twists and misrepresents everything I say.

Coat of Many Colours
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Coat of Many Colours

Unread post by Coat of Many Colours » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:26 am

Michaeldsuarez wrote:Andy Dingley and a few others seem bend on transforming Stefan4 into the next Pieter Kuiper (permalink). Despite more or less donating content to the public via free licenses, Commons users are possessive and become extremely offended when their uploaded content is nominated for deletion. Dingley and "Coat of Many Colours" are clearly taking the proposals for deletion far too personally.
All hail all.

I'm flattered to be mentioned on Wikipediocracy. For the record my issues with Stefan4 are archived here: link. The content I donated to the public on a free license I became offended about when Stefan/000/1/2/3/4 etc. nominated it for deletion is the Chilkat blanket top right here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Coat_of_Many_Colours. Stefan/000/1/2/3/4 etc. thought it was a sculpture https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Comm ... lanket.jpg. I also uploaded the 1883 photo on the left showing the same blanket. So far Stefan/000/1/2/3/4 etc. hasn't complained it's a sculpture or anything.

I'm guessing he's fourteen years old, doesn't have much of a life and wanks a lot. Would that be about right? And any theories on why Michael is mentoring this total fail?

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:30 am

Coat of Many Colours wrote:I'm flattered to be mentioned on Wikipediocracy.
Welcome to our mess. Feel free to tell us about Commons, like the Ghostbusters we're ready to believe you!
For the record my issues with Stefan4 are archived here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Coat ... urs/Stefan. The content I donated to the public on a free license I became offended about when Stefan/000/1/2/3/4 etc. nominated it for deletion is the Chilkat blanket top right here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Coat_of_Many_Colours. Stefan/000/1/2/3/4 etc. thought it was a sculpture https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Comm ... lanket.jpg. I also uploaded the 1883 photo on the left showing the same blanket. So far Stefan/000/1/2/3/4 etc. hasn't complained it's a sculpture or anything.

I'm guessing he's fourteen years old, doesn't have much of a life and wanks a lot. Would that be about right? And any theories on why Michael is mentoring this total fail?
Could be. We tried to figure out Stefan. Other than being Swedish, probably a college boy, and obsessed with Japanese culture, we don't know anything about him -- except that he is also one of the most extreme anti-censorship maniacs on Commons. Anything you can tell us will be helpful.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:12 pm

Coat of Many Colours wrote: And any theories on why Michael is mentoring this total fail?
Not much on that either, from me at least.
Michael's a complicated little snowflake. When he's not helping to administer ED, he's donning his undies outside his pants to swoop in and "right great wrongs" in the wider world, for great justice.
Just "lulz", I'd imagine. But, as has been rightly pointed out before, I often fail to see the best in people... It's probably very complex. Ineffable beyond my ken.

I can't help much with the Stefan(x) thing either, other than what I said above - weird, often pointlessly destructive, obsessive compulsive. Any sane organisation would have stopped him from pissing off contributors long ago. (but I said "any sane organisation")

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:15 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:Thryduulf bumped the thread and demanded action even though Stefan4 isn't presently active, and every time I comment, Thryduulf twists and misrepresents everything I say.
Thryduulf bumped the discussion again. He or she really, really wants this topic ban. Can't they leave Stefan4 alone? They already succeeded in driving him or her off the wiki. People don't seem to realize that Stefan4 is the actual victim and that Thryduulf and co. are the actual persecutors.

Thryduulf's next bumping attempt will probably be the "Stefan4 hasn't responded despite my pinging. Let's topic ban him once and for all" post.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:41 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:
Michaeldsuarez wrote:Thryduulf bumped the thread and demanded action even though Stefan4 isn't presently active, and every time I comment, Thryduulf twists and misrepresents everything I say.
Thryduulf bumped the discussion again. He or she really, really wants this topic ban. Can't they leave Stefan4 alone? They already succeeded in driving him or her off the wiki. People don't seem to realize that Stefan4 is the actual victim and that Thryduulf and co. are the actual persecutors.

Thryduulf's next bumping attempt will probably be the "Stefan4 hasn't responded despite my pinging. Let's topic ban him once and for all" post.
Thryduulf's third bumping. Thryduulf is going to keep that topic on the dramaboard until he gets what he wants.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:47 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:Thryduulf's third bumping. Thryduulf is going to keep that topic on the dramaboard until he gets what he wants.
Looks like the archiving bot disregarded Thryduulf's "14 April" timestamp. Stefan4's prolonged suffering at the hands of the zealous and uncompromising Thryduulf and others has finally come to an end. Hopefully, he or she will return and edit comfortably.