Admin hopefuls

Mason
Habitué
kołdry

Admin hopefuls

Unread post by Mason » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:39 pm

Scottywong (T-C-L) has put together a chart of active users with a script-generated "score for each user that indicates their readiness for adminship."

I see our own Randy from Boise is number 3. Maybe he should run! Oh, wait...

Lots of familiar names on that list, including many active Wikipediocracy regulars: Jayen466, Volunteer Marek, Mathsci, Silver seren and even Tarc. Heck, Malleus's new account even made the cut!

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Re: Admin hopefuls

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:49 pm

OMFG, Milowent and Baseballbugs. That'd be a hoot.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:57 pm

TungstenCarbide wrote:OMFG, Milowent and Baseballbugs. That'd be a hoot.
If 5% of the people on that list decide to run, I will be instructing my stockbroker to move a substantial share of my portfolio into Jiffy Pop.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:12 am

I have seen that before it was changed. Originally it was based off a category and Milowent was still there. Now the criteria have been changed to basically "OMIGOD, does any long-standing editor who is still here wanna have special powers?! We're desperate!"

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:56 am

The whole admin/editor dynamic has been in shambles for years. You have a few elitists who have and want to keep their wikisuperpowers and refuse to listen to any ways that would improve that dynamic. Wikipedia needs to abolish the admin role and break the tools out like they did with Rollback and Filemover. There might be some that need to be controlled like deleting and blocking but for the most part the vast majority should be unbundled. There is absolutely no valid argument for not allowing a long time editor to be able to implement changes to a protected page, to pull in more than 25000 articles into AWB or to do any number of other things. There also is no reason to tell someone who has been there for 5 plus years that they cannot possibly be trusted with the ability to see deleted changes or to see guarded reports like unwatched pages. Not to mention needing to remove the tools from a couple dozen jackasses that have let the power go to their heads or are just flat incompetent.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:08 am

I notice that the very first criterion for inclusion on this list is "10,000 edits".

Once again, Wikipedia affirms that it's all about quality, not quantity (right, Mr. Buckner)?
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Tarc
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Tarc

Unread post by Tarc » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:43 am

Mason wrote:...and even Tarc.
:lookdownnose:
"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:07 am

Mason wrote:Scottywong (T-C-L) has put together a chart of active users with a script-generated "score for each user that indicates their readiness for adminship."

I see our own Randy from Boise is number 3. Maybe he should run! Oh, wait...

Lots of familiar names on that list, including many active Wikipediocracy regulars: Jayen466, Volunteer Marek, Mathsci, Silver seren and even Tarc. Heck, Malleus's new account even made the cut!
Note: Silver seren does not have a named account on Wikipediocracy. He has denied having one under another name.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:57 am

Zoloft wrote:Note: Silver seren does not have a named account on Wikipediocracy. He has denied having one under another name.
"Regulars and avid readers" might be better, then.
Tarc wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'd root for you. But the idea of you sitting patiently while various patrollers pepper you with "optional questions" about [[WP:CIVIL]] an [[WP:AGF]] and whatnot makes me chuckle.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:29 pm

I would note that although its a reasonably good start at identifying editors who would be interested, its hardly based on facts or any kind of reasonable scientific analysis. Most of the users on the list wouldn't run, most of those who would likely wouldn't pass, that leaves us with only about 10-20 that might stand a chance. Most of which have attempted to run before. I'm going to stop short of naming names but there are only a few I see that I think would want it, who qualify and stand a chance at passing the RFA Gauntlet.

I also notice that there are some names like Rich Farmbrough on it and couple others that have basically been run out of the site, so its clear to me at least that this list needs a major overhaul before it can be taken seriously. My opinion still stands that RFA is a hindrance to the project and needs to be scrapped altogether.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:40 pm

Which is not at all coloured by your repeated failure to pass of course...

Tarc
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Tarc

Unread post by Tarc » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:41 pm

Mason wrote:
Zoloft wrote:Note: Silver seren does not have a named account on Wikipediocracy. He has denied having one under another name.
"Regulars and avid readers" might be better, then.
Tarc wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'd root for you. But the idea of you sitting patiently while various patrollers pepper you with "optional questions" about [[WP:CIVIL]] an [[WP:AGF]] and whatnot makes me chuckle.
Wikipedia:Requests for adminship/Tarc (T-H-L)

It'd be a gonzo-fest not seen since the Battle of Aspen.
"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:28 pm

That's an interesting concept — machine analysis of so-called "qualifications" for Adminship.

My own view is they need to split the Admin tools package in half, with the "ordinary" tools granted on a No Big Deal basis and the blocking and revision deletion buttons given to only carefully scrutinized candidates. A machine-generated decision on "ordinary" tools might be one way to solve the "How to Make No Big Deal Really Mean No Big Deal" problem.

In any event, the only way I'd accept such buttons is if some sort of fundamental reform like that took place — my recent very specific and focused RFA notwithstanding.

RfB / Carrite / Tim Davenport

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:55 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:My own view is they need to split the Admin tools package in half, with the "ordinary" tools granted on a No Big Deal basis and the blocking and revision deletion buttons given to only carefully scrutinized candidates. A machine-generated decision on "ordinary" tools might be one way to solve the "How to Make No Big Deal Really Mean No Big Deal" problem.
Wikipedia's culture is dysfunctional because its leading members are dysfunctional. No amount of procedure or rule tweaking will fix this.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:57 pm

thekohser wrote:I notice that the very first criterion for inclusion on this list is "10,000 edits".

Once again, Wikipedia affirms that it's all about quality, not quantity (right, Mr. Buckner)?
The average has been going up for a long time. The woozle effect in action, I guess, with a big dollop of groupthink on top.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:00 pm

Tarc wrote:Wikipedia:Requests for adminship/Tarc (T-H-L)

"Number of page watchers: 6"

All right people, own up.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:41 pm

Hex wrote:
Tarc wrote:Wikipedia:Requests for adminship/Tarc (T-H-L)
"Number of page watchers: 6"
All right people, own up.
Ignore that man behind the curtain.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Anroth wrote:Which is not at all coloured by your repeated failure to pass of course...
Oh sure I think I should have passed. Even if I was a bad admin I would be in good company as there are no less than 20-30 bad admins already.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:00 pm

Kumioko wrote:there are no less than 20-30 bad admins already.
There are probably more than that!
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:25 pm

What's most striking to me is the meteoric rise and fall of WP admins corps.

Nearly all of the most powerful admins (or perhaps those most visible on ANI and other boards) have gone down in flames over the last few years.

WP is a breeding ground for the Stanford Experiment and it gets played out over and over again. The only difference is that everyone seems to have to take a turn as a prisoner.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:50 pm

Vigilant wrote:Nearly all of the most powerful admins (or perhaps those most visible on ANI and other boards) have gone down in flames over the last few years.
It would be very interesting to see a timeline of the activity of various admins (I leave the choice to others), showing, where appropriate:
  • arrival on WP
  • RFAs (successful or not)
  • arbitrations
  • desysoppings
  • departure from WP
The timeline feature (see Help:Timeline) would be ideal for making it. What patterns would emerge?

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:54 pm

Hex wrote:
Vigilant wrote:Nearly all of the most powerful admins (or perhaps those most visible on ANI and other boards) have gone down in flames over the last few years.
It would be very interesting to see a timeline of the activity of various admins (I leave the choice to others), showing, where appropriate:
  • arrival on WP
  • RFAs (successful or not)
  • arbitrations
  • desysoppings
  • departure from WP
The timeline feature (see Help:Timeline) would be ideal for making it. What patterns would emerge?
Here's what I would do if I weren't otherwise busy:
* Pick several dates a few years apart.
* Take a census of admins who show up on ANI over the course of a week
* Sort by most active
* Backtrace and forward trace their "careers" by edit count, FA/GA, RFA, defrocking

Post the results
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.