thekohser
Majordomo
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Wikipedia's worst article sections

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:07 am

I have to nominate this as the worst Wikipedia article section I've read in a long time.

Though I have to admit, it's pretty cool how earlier in the article she got a plug in for her QVC jewelry line.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

FlossMore
Contributor

Re: Wikipedia's worst article sections

Unread post by FlossMore » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:29 am

thekohser wrote:I have to nominate this as the worst Wikipedia article section I've read in a long time.

Though I have to admit, it's pretty cool how earlier in the article she got a plug in for her QVC jewelry line.
You win. Why even open the thread if you're going to blow every one else up with a cannon? Gauntlet=suggestion of opening salvo. Cannon=closing.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:33 am

Good lord. It was added by an "Hrendelman", who I presume is under her employ.
FlossMore wrote:You win. Why even open the thread if you're going to blow every one else up with a cannon? Gauntlet=suggestion of opening salvo. Cannon=closing.
Tut, tut, this is Wikipedia. Never say that someone has found the worst of it so soon in the game.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

FlossMore
Contributor

Unread post by FlossMore » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:43 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:Good lord. It was added by an "Hrendelman", who I presume is under her employ.
It also is probably plagiarized, even though it's just a schlock list of quotes. http://www.fiorella.com/media.html

Anyone can plagiarize.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:08 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:Good lord. It was added by an "Hrendelman", who I presume is under her employ.
"Hrendelman" was also active on Commons!

What I like about Wikipedia is that it's a pure and untarnished reference. Other sites hit you with all sorts of advertising, but Wikipedia is free of all that hucksterism.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:15 am

thekohser wrote:I have to nominate this as the worst Wikipedia article section I've read in a long time.

The article has everything but her birth date.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:18 pm

French Army Light Aviation (T-H-L)
Aircraft

ALAT is currently suffering from aging equipment and inadequate training of its crews, which has caused various incidents. According to a report of the National Assembly of 2007[4] 'the potential of the primary aircraft has in fact decreased sharply since 2004, with the decline to accelerate in 2008. In 2005, however, the ALAT has after a long wait his first Eurocopter EC665 Tiger, which are the first helicopter specifically designed for combat and developed in France, and including all 80 copies have been ordered to date to replace cannon and Mistral-armed SA341 Gazelles. Delivery of 80 aircraft is expected to be completed in 2020.[5] On April 15, 2011, 30 helicopters were delivered to the ALAT, including 16 combat capable.[6]

The worries of the National Assembly concerning most of all the replacement of the manœuvre hélicoptèrs: 'Ceux today en service ne répondront plus aux normes européennes de circulation d’ici 2010. Dans la mesure où les premiers NH90 destinés à remplacer les Puma ne pourront pas être livrés avant 2011, il est indispensable to prolong la duration of life of certain appareils (les Puma et Cougar ont 30 ans d'age moyen). Plus grave, leur remplaçant, le NH90 se fait lui-même attendre:[7] 'Seulement 12 ont été déjà officiellement commandés. C'est-à-dire plus d'un an après la livraison à l'armée allemande de ses trois premiers TTH-90 de série. Et alors même que l'Italie, la Grèce, l'Australie, la Suède, la Finlande et Oman ont déjà pris livraison de leurs premiers exemplaires de série. Une nouvelle commande, portant sur 22 supplémentaires, devrait être notifiée par Paris à l'industrie cette année. Et encore 34 de plus en 2010 ou 2011. Le tout permettant de livrer un tout premier TTH-90 fin 2011, puis 6 ou 7 en 2012. La cadence se stabilisant ensuite à une dizaine par an. D'ores et déjà s'instille le doute quant à la concrétisation du second lot de 35 machines à commander par tranches à partir de 2016 ou 2017. La cible de 133 TTH-90 étant tout sauf assurée.'
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:38 pm

The Joy wrote:French Army Light Aviation (T-H-L)
Aircraft
That is a good one. I love the paragraph of French text in the English Wikipedia. Top-notch "community" of very, very dedicated editors, as Jimbo would say.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:02 pm

She expanded it herself in 2010.

FlossMore
Contributor

Unread post by FlossMore » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:11 pm

EricBarbour wrote:

She expanded it herself in 2010.
In order to "to awaken people to the wonders of Fiorella Terenzi," to use a synonym for "the universe." :hurl:

I consider myself awoken to schlock. Maybe I should check out her QVC channel.

FlossMore
Contributor

Unread post by FlossMore » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:19 pm

Aircraft

ALAT is currently suffering from aging equipment and inadequate training of its crews, which has caused various incidents. According to a report of the National Assembly of 2007[4] 'the potential of the primary aircraft has in fact decreased sharply since 2004, with the decline to accelerate in 2008. In 2005, however, the ALAT has after a long wait his first Eurocopter EC665 Tiger, which are the first helicopter specifically designed for combat and developed in France, and including all 80 copies have been ordered to date to replace cannon and Mistral-armed SA341 Gazelles. Delivery of 80 aircraft is expected to be completed in 2020.[5] On April 15, 2011, 30 helicopters were delivered to the ALAT, including 16 combat capable.[6]

The worries of the National Assembly concerning most of all the replacement of the manœuvre hélicoptèrs: 'Ceux today en service ne répondront plus aux normes européennes de circulation d’ici 2010. Dans la mesure où les premiers NH90 destinés à remplacer les Puma ne pourront pas être livrés avant 2011, il est indispensable to prolong la duration of life of certain appareils (les Puma et Cougar ont 30 ans d'age moyen). Plus grave, leur remplaçant, le NH90 se fait lui-même attendre:[7] 'Seulement 12 ont été déjà officiellement commandés. C'est-à-dire plus d'un an après la livraison à l'armée allemande de ses trois premiers TTH-90 de série. Et alors même que l'Italie, la Grèce, l'Australie, la Suède, la Finlande et Oman ont déjà pris livraison de leurs premiers exemplaires de série. Une nouvelle commande, portant sur 22 supplémentaires, devrait être notifiée par Paris à l'industrie cette année. Et encore 34 de plus en 2010 ou 2011. Le tout permettant de livrer un tout premier TTH-90 fin 2011, puis 6 ou 7 en 2012. La cadence se stabilisant ensuite à une dizaine par an. D'ores et déjà s'instille le doute quant à la concrétisation du second lot de 35 machines à commander par tranches à partir de 2016 ou 2017. La cible de 133 TTH-90 étant tout sauf assurée.'
Second cannon shot! I have never been this impressed by the prowess of a group on a web forum. The same bureaucrat-eaze meaningless shit plagiarized out of internal memos in not one, but two languages! Way to say nothing, badly, in too many words, and[/] multilinguistically! I suspect though, that the first pile of shit is merely a bad translation of another part of the French doo doo quote below.

I stand corrected, when seeking top-shit on en.Wikipedia, one should not declare a winner too soon, no matter how strong the early contenders appear to be.

:popcorn:

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:07 am

Aircraft

Carrite went and fixed that part. (This is why I don't post bad articles in a public area. Wikipedia is "always improving, and quickly", because posting minor problems results in quick fixes, followed by blubbering "see how Wikipedia is fixed quickly?? It's WONDERFUL!!!")

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:56 am

I actually remember a section that I had partially fixed some time back, though the whole paragraph was subsequently removed, and just went back and found that there was still some horrific stuff in there. Here is what it looked like when I first came upon it, with the worst of it highlighted:
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) defines a Palestine refugee as a person "whose normal place of residence was Palestine between June 1946 and May 1948, who lost both their homes and means of livelihood as a result of the 1948 Arab-Israeli conflict".[5] The descendants of the original Palestine refugees in the male line "are also eligible for registration."[5] UNRWA aids all "those living in its area of operations who meet this definition, who are registered with the Agency and who need assistance"[5] and those who first became refugees as a result of the Six-Day War, regardless whether they reside in areas designated as Palestine refugee camps or in other permanent communities. A Palestine refugee camp is "a plot of land placed at the disposal of UNRWA by the host government to accommodate Palestine refugees and to set up facilities to cater to their needs".[5] Today, 58 UNRWA recognised refugee camps in Jordan, Lebanon, the Syrian Arab Republic, the Gaza Strip and the West Bank habor only "one-third of the registered Palestine refugees, more than 1.4 million."[5] The UNRWA definition does not cover final status.[5][19] In many cases UNHCR provides support for the children of Palestine refugees too.

Registered descendants of UNRWA Palestine refugees are, like “Nansen passport” and “Certificate of Eligibility” holders (the documents issued those displaced by World War II) and UNHCR refugees [20] are inherited the same UNRWA Palestine refugee status as their male parent.

Based on the UNRWA definition, the number of original Palestine refugees has declined from 711,000 in 1950[1] to an estimated 30 to 50,000 in 2012. An estimated 5 million Palestine refugees are registered in total in 2012. In 2012 the number of registered descendants of male parents of the original Palestine refugees, based on the UNRWA registration requirements, are an estimated 4,950,000.[2][3][4][5]

Whereas most refugees worldwide receive the assistance of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) rather for years and not decades, only for Palestine refugees assistance comes since decades now under the body UNRWA, established by UNGA Resolution 302 (IV) of 8 December 1949.[21] There again, UNRWA was set up to only assist Palestine refugees. Registedred Palestine refugees outside of UNRWA's area of operations may fall under UNHCR's mandate, however.

The UNRWA is an organ of the United Nations only created to aid the displaced from the Arab-Israeli wars, with an annual budget of approximately $600 million.[22]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestinia ... efinitions

This one could get some bonus points for the irony of being titled "Definitions".

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:04 am

Ah, the Israel/Palestine area is one keeps on giving.... and giving. From our dear Mossad shark and Zionist vulture (T-H-L) to the 1983 West Bank fainting epidemic (T-H-L) (which started life as "Poison affair of Palestinian schoolgirls")

... now we have the brand new Palestinian incitement (T-H-L), straight from "Palestinian Media Watch" (financed by the charming Michael Cherney (T-H-L)) and the Israeli Hasbara department.

Oh, and there is absolutely no danger in posting this in a public place: every single online pro-Israeli warrior (and their socks) will protect this little gem...

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:38 am

The Adversary wrote:... now we have the brand new Palestinian incitement (T-H-L), straight from "Palestinian Media Watch" (financed by the charming Michael Cherney (T-H-L)) and the Israeli Hasbara department.
Oh look, there's that little shit Ankh-Morpork. Again.
And Plot Spoiler (T-C-L) really doesn't look like an Israeli plot-pusher, yet he started this garbage pile. (Look at his early history.)

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:08 am

You are joking, right? Plot Spoiler is exactly the type of editor I would expect start an article like this. Just see this wonderful request he just filed.

Oh, and dont anyone event think about starting an AfD, ..at least not until you look at what happen when others tried to remove some of the shit that "haters" have defecated over the pages of wikipedia, shit like this and this ....and the see how many of those who argued to keep the shit, since have been found to be socks.

AfD is the greatest joke of all, in the I/P area. (Which says a bit)

FlossMore
Contributor

Unread post by FlossMore » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:45 am

The Adversary wrote:You are joking, right? Plot Spoiler is exactly the type of editor I would expect start an article like this. Just see this wonderful request he just filed.

Oh, and dont anyone event think about starting an AfD, ..at least not until you look at what happen when others tried to remove some of the shit that "haters" have defecated over the pages of wikipedia, shit like this and this ....and the see how many of those who argued to keep the shit, since have been found to be socks.

AfD is the greatest joke of all, in the I/P area. (Which says a bit)
There is also a group of anti-Pakistani editors who create similar articles. They appear to be mostly British editors, and they have been writing anti-Pakistani filled hate on Wikipedia for years. They use racist edit summaries, they attack pro-Pakistani and Pakistani area editors, they source (when called on it) to anti-Pakistani blogs, they drag pro-Pakistani editors to AN/I, they file rampant sock-puppet reports whenever anyone tries to remove the shit, and they support their shit in AfDS with recently developed socks, and, even when the socks are gone the shit still stays. They also remove neutral information from Pakistani articles and slant them towards their anti-Pakistani bias.

This is a successful and well developed technique used to add nationalistic and racist shit to Wikipedia; rabid editors, but fly-aged, they make friends, do plenty of social networking on Wikipedia, which is what will be the death of Wikipedia, as the goal is to write an encyclopedia, but the actuality is it's a social network, and the rabid anti-Pakistani editors get in fights all the time, but civility is not something that is enforced, and because of their fly-age they win the fights, they win at AN/I, and they win to keep racist, unsourced articles on Wikipedia..

It's interesting that the pro-Israeli articles sound just like the anti-Pakistani articles. They could be written by the same group.

What is it that admins do on Wikipedia, again?

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:50 am

It's interesting that the pro-Israeli articles sound just like the anti-Pakistani articles. They could be written by the same group.
Ha the anti-pakistani articles are mostly written by BNP supporters.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:47 pm

The Adversary wrote:Ah, the Israel/Palestine area is one keeps on giving.... and giving. From our dear Mossad shark and Zionist vulture (T-H-L) to the 1983 West Bank fainting epidemic (T-H-L) (which started life as "Poison affair of Palestinian schoolgirls")

... now we have the brand new Palestinian incitement (T-H-L), straight from "Palestinian Media Watch" (financed by the charming Michael Cherney (T-H-L)) and the Israeli Hasbara department.

Oh, and there is absolutely no danger in posting this in a public place: every single online pro-Israeli warrior (and their socks) will protect this little gem...
The worst of it is often what you find in the articles that no one is going to remove. See the 1948 Arab-Israeli War article and this gem of a section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_arab- ... _the_Arabs

Basically, it is a long screed against the British that accuses them of being hostile to the Jews and looking to secure victory for the Arabs. Every last bit of it is sourced to a single book by Efraim Karsh, who also has a book entitled Islamic Imperialism. It may not be very poorly written, but that actually makes it worse than the obviously bad.

- Noam Chomsky

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:52 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
The Adversary wrote:... now we have the brand new Palestinian incitement (T-H-L), straight from "Palestinian Media Watch" (financed by the charming Michael Cherney (T-H-L)) and the Israeli Hasbara department.
Oh look, there's that little shit Ankh-Morpork. Again.
And Plot Spoiler (T-C-L) really doesn't look like an Israeli plot-pusher, yet he started this garbage pile. (Look at his early history.)
"Plot Spoiler" is in fact one of Wikipedia's longterm propagandists for maximalist, far-right Israeli positions. He's probably one of the five most active in that coordinated little propaganda effort.

FlossMore
Contributor

Unread post by FlossMore » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:49 pm

lilburne wrote:
BNP? British NP? Why?

It is a telling point of the overall failure of crowd-sourcing the en.wiki way. No matter how many thousands of World of Warcraft flies you have their mental acuity is not cumulative. And none of them get smarter or broader based in knowledge by making them fly swatters capable of and delighting in keeping editors with real knowledge off the project.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:52 pm

DanMurphy wrote:"Plot Spoiler" is in fact one of Wikipedia's longterm propagandists for maximalist, far-right Israeli positions. He's probably one of the five most active in that coordinated little propaganda effort.
He's a world traveler, having uploaded photos taken in New York, Paris and Kraków. He's probably a liar, too. I seriously doubt he took the photos of venture capitalist Ami Miron or Israeli goalie Mairav Shamir.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:18 pm

tarantino wrote:
DanMurphy wrote:"Plot Spoiler" is in fact one of Wikipedia's longterm propagandists for maximalist, far-right Israeli positions. He's probably one of the five most active in that coordinated little propaganda effort.
He's a world traveler, having uploaded photos taken in New York, Paris and Kraków. He's probably a liar, too. I seriously doubt he took the photos of venture capitalist Ami Miron or Israeli goalie Mairav Shamir.
Overall, his contribs appear to simply be the work of an Israeli who wants to talk about Israeli things and people. He's much sneakier than the old
Jayjg-IronDuke-Zeq-etc. gang about inserting anti-Palestinian ravings, slipping them in as a few small edits surrounded by groups of unrelated edits.
And wherever he goes, Ankh-Morpork and a few other little-known usernames also pop up later, as on Yisrael Beiteinu (T-H-L).
I wonder if these are newer socks of the older pro-Israel editors.

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:09 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
tarantino wrote:
Overall, his contribs appear to simply be the work of an Israeli who wants to talk about Israeli things and people. He's much sneakier than the old
Jayjg-IronDuke-Zeq-etc. gang about inserting anti-Palestinian ravings, slipping them in as a few small edits surrounded by groups of unrelated edits.
And wherever he goes, Ankh-Morpork and a few other little-known usernames also pop up later, as on Yisrael Beiteinu (T-H-L).
I wonder if these are newer socks of the older pro-Israel editors.
Socks? Almost certainly some of them. It doesn't really matter. The current crop of editors who coordinate reverts/arbitration enforcements/all the meta-game tools for "winning" this ("this" meaning a pro-settler agenda coupled with an agenda to dehumanize Palestinians in particular and Muslims in general) propaganda effort on Wikipedia include:
1. Acticism1234 (recently changed the name to something less honest as to the accts actual intent, can't be bothered to look it up)
2. Shrike
3. CptNoNo.
4. No More Mr Nice Guy
5. Juijitsuguy (or however "juijitsu" is spelled)
6. Ankh Morporkh
7. Brewcrewer
8. Gilabrand
9. Agadaurbanit
10. Soosim
11. One (or maybe 2) guys who have run hundreds of sequential sock accounts.

I'm missing a couple. It's a pretty well oiled machine. There are of course editors on the other "side" of this, but they don't have the unity of focus nor the commitment to slander/denigrate Judaism or Israelis in the way this group focus on denigrating Islam/Palestinians/Arabs in general. There's basically a scholarly guy named "Nishidani" (who really knows his shit on the region's history; he may in fact be a scholar slumming it). "Nableezy" (an activist type, but generally honest and interested in removing attacks on his side rather than creating articles dedicated to attacking the other guys) and a couple of non-specialists who have noticed the daily assault from the one side and have taken up arms on behalf of the other. They are badly overmatched in both numbers, and bloody mindedness.

Is their a "house" administrative view? Not that I can particularly see -- Wikipedia's administrators are just (by and large) incompetent, inconsistent, and easy to manipulate. Since very few of them have sufficient background to understand how political science and history are done in the academy, they actually can't see how skewed Wikipedia's articles are, or what dynamics and individuals are most responsible for the damage.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Jiujitsuguy is actually out of commission as far as the Israeli-Palestinian imbroglio is concerned. He got indefinitely topic-banned for being too obvious in his efforts to slander Arabs and silence opponents.

- Noam Chomsky

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:00 pm

DanMurphy wrote:The current crop of editors who coordinate reverts/arbitration enforcements/all the meta-game tools for "winning" this ("this" meaning a pro-settler agenda coupled with an agenda to dehumanize Palestinians in particular and Muslims in general) propaganda effort on Wikipedia include:
1. Activism1234 (T-C-L) (recently changed the name to something less honest as to the accts actual intent, can't be bothered to look it up)
2. Shrike (T-C-L)
3. Cptnono (T-C-L).
4. No More Mr Nice Guy (T-C-L)
5. Jiujitsuguy (T-C-L) (or however "juijitsu" is spelled)
6. AnkhMorpork (T-C-L)
7. Brewcrewer (T-C-L)
8. Gilabrand (T-C-L)
9. AgadaUrbanit (T-C-L)
10. Soosim (T-C-L)

I'm missing a couple. It's a pretty well oiled machine.
Activism1234 ----> Jethro B (T-C-L)
(I took the liberty of correcting typos and adding "wpuser")

I note that Plot Spoiler (T-C-L) is not on the list? He will be disappointed! Look at this:
Plot Spoiler wrote:Maybe you'll like this article I created: Alcohol enema (T-H-L)? I had fun making it... unfortunately another editor removed the 2012 University of Tennessee incident... too funny
Oh, so funny, indeed. That´s why wikipedia is here: to collect all knowledge of mankind!
It looked like this when Plot Spoiler was finished: full name of student who had a seriously bad (and extremely humiliating) drinking experience, full name of an alcoholic who had died of alcohol poisoning. This is what we want to put on the front page, as a DYK, on one of the most viewed websites of the world.
I´m just laughing myself to death. Not.
:wrong: :sick:
:obliterate:

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:22 pm

The Adversary wrote:
DanMurphy wrote:The current crop of editors who coordinate reverts/arbitration enforcements/all the meta-game tools for "winning" this ("this" meaning a pro-settler agenda coupled with an agenda to dehumanize Palestinians in particular and Muslims in general) propaganda effort on Wikipedia include:
1. Activism1234 (T-C-L) (recently changed the name to something less honest as to the accts actual intent, can't be bothered to look it up)
2. Shrike (T-C-L)
3. Cptnono (T-C-L).
4. No More Mr Nice Guy (T-C-L)
5. Jiujitsuguy (T-C-L) (or however "juijitsu" is spelled)
6. AnkhMorpork (T-C-L)
7. Brewcrewer (T-C-L)
8. Gilabrand (T-C-L)
9. AgadaUrbanit (T-C-L)
10. Soosim (T-C-L)

I'm missing a couple. It's a pretty well oiled machine.
Activism1234 ----> Jethro B (T-C-L)
(I took the liberty of correcting typos and adding "wpuser")

I note that Plot Spoiler (T-C-L) is not on the list? He will be disappointed! Look at this:
Plot Spoiler wrote:Maybe you'll like this article I created: Alcohol enema (T-H-L)? I had fun making it... unfortunately another editor removed the 2012 University of Tennessee incident... too funny
Oh, Yeah. "Plot Spoiler" is on the team for sure. And there are sort of second tier players who only get called in occasionally these days (for instance "Biosketch"; "Shuki"; "Epeefleche"; "Jalapenosdoexist"; etc, etc.). Editor behavior in this area could be fruitfully written about. But who'd really want to?

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:40 am

DanMurphy wrote:Oh, Yeah. "Plot Spoiler" is on the team for sure. And there are sort of second tier players who only get called in occasionally these days (for instance "Biosketch"; "Shuki"; "Epeefleche"; "Jalapenosdoexist"; etc, etc.). Editor behavior in this area could be fruitfully written about. But who'd really want to?
Shuki is indefinitely topic-banned, just like Jiujitsuguy.

- Noam Chomsky

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:59 am

Thank you gents, I've added all of that to the Israel-Palestine editwar article.

And I would say something about Nikki Craft (T-H-L), but, you know.....Image
(For deep and lasting pleasure, read the AFD.)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:36 am

The previous 10 posts in this thread are essentially :offtopic:

Volunteer Marek
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Volunteer Marek

Unread post by Volunteer Marek » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:47 pm

I know I've mentioned this one before but since there has been a flurry of recent activity on it, it's worth mentioning again, just so that folks can watch the train wreck in slo-mo:

Binary economics (T-H-L)

And I love the edit summaries http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... on=history of this Justicesoldier fellah.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:49 pm

Volunteer Marek wrote:I know I've mentioned this one before but since there has been a flurry of recent activity on it, it's worth mentioning again, just so that folks can watch the train wreck in slo-mo:

Binary economics (T-H-L)

And I love the edit summaries http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... on=history of this Justicesoldier fellah.
Wikipedia as grad school term paper platform. Fun stuff.

Volunteer Marek
Habitué

Unread post by Volunteer Marek » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:08 pm

thekohser wrote:
Volunteer Marek wrote:I know I've mentioned this one before but since there has been a flurry of recent activity on it, it's worth mentioning again, just so that folks can watch the train wreck in slo-mo:

Binary economics (T-H-L)

Wikipedia as grad school term paper platform. Fun stuff.
This couldn't be a grad school term paper. It's a nonsense topic. It'd get a big fat F.

Vocal
Critic

Unread post by Vocal » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:39 pm

I quite like the (alas, since removed) infobox in this old version of Browser wars (T-H-L).

Volunteer Marek
Habitué

Unread post by Volunteer Marek » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:05 pm

thekohser wrote:
"Hrendelman" was also active on Commons!

What I like about Wikipedia is that it's a pure and untarnished reference. Other sites hit you with all sorts of advertising, but Wikipedia is free of all that hucksterism.
Who is she? Like a cross between Carl Sagan and Madonna or something?

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:43 pm

TungstenCarbide wrote:

The article has everything but her birth date age.
strike that!
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

roger_pearse
Regular
Wikipedia User: Roger Pearse

Unread post by roger_pearse » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:22 pm

lilburne wrote:
That sounds like a Personal Attack to me. And why shouldn't they be writing articles about Pakistan? Any more than atheists about Christianity, or Communists about the BNP, or womble-haters about wombles (referenced to that compendium of all scholarly knowledge, www.killwomblesdiediediefurrybastards.com) After all, Wikipedia policies ensure that bias is always removed, so the editors will always be making a useful contribution. Whether pro- or anti-BNP. Won't they? That's what crowd-sourcing is all about!

(And whoever is laughing like that at the back, stop now, you'll hurt yourself).

Returning to the OP, I found the article contains this miracle of English prose:
She is also known for a sexually charged book about science entitled Heavenly Knowledge.
How do you "sexually charge" a book?

Can you get a mains adaptor for it?

I shall never look the same way at "100 ways to boil an egg" again.

All the best,

Roger Pearse

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:40 pm

So and so is a "broadcaster, conspiracy theorist, and all around nutjob." The first sentence of an article about a living person. Been that way for about an hour.

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:46 pm

DanMurphy wrote:So and so is a "broadcaster, conspiracy theorist, and all around nutjob." The first sentence of an article about a living person. Been that way for about an hour.
Someone from the Libyan coalition apparently.
although all of so and so's reporting is horribly out of touch with reality.

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:06 pm

lilburne wrote:
DanMurphy wrote:So and so is a "broadcaster, conspiracy theorist, and all around nutjob." The first sentence of an article about a living person. Been that way for about an hour.
Someone from the Libyan coalition apparently.
although all of so and so's reporting is horribly out of touch with reality.
That's the one. You can probably guess why it was on my watch-list. This kind of thing is happening to all kinds of people on all sorts of unwatched articles all the time. I scanned the list of "flagged revisions" pages (or whatever they're calling it) earlier. Looked to be fewer than 200 articles out of, what, millions?

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:34 pm

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:47 pm

Time to revive this lovely thread.

Here's my nomination for the day.

74 (number) --> In bus routes
In the Merseyside, England, Seventy-four is the bus route that runs from Halewood to Liverpool Town Centre.

In Chicago, "74" is the Fullerton bus which runs from Lincoln Park to Belmont Cragin.

London Buses route 74 is a Transport for London contracted bus route in London, England. Running between Baker Street station and Putney, it is operated by London General.
But when you compare with another number, such as "109" -- all you get outside of mathematics is:
109 is also the atomic number of meitnerium.
No mention of...

109 (department store) (T-H-L)

PT-109 (T-H-L)

Messerschmitt Bf 109 (T-H-L)

Why is the number 74 so extra-special, that it gets its own section about bus routes?

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:58 pm

thekohser wrote:Time to revive this lovely thread.

Here's my nomination for the day.

74 (number) --> In bus routes
In the Merseyside, England, Seventy-four is the bus route that runs from Halewood to Liverpool Town Centre.

In Chicago, "74" is the Fullerton bus which runs from Lincoln Park to Belmont Cragin.

London Buses route 74 is a Transport for London contracted bus route in London, England. Running between Baker Street station and Putney, it is operated by London General.
But when you compare with another number, such as "109" -- all you get outside of mathematics is:
109 is also the atomic number of meitnerium.
No mention of...

109 (department store) (T-H-L)

PT-109 (T-H-L)

Messerschmitt Bf 109 (T-H-L)

Why is the number 74 so extra-special, that it gets its own section about bus routes?
The 74 (number) article is missing a mention of bus route 74 Mount Pleasant in Toronto, given a lack of mention of bus route 109 Ranee (also in Toronto) in the 109 (number) article.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:47 pm

From MerchantCircle (T-H-L):
Criticism

In May 2010, MerchantCircle settled a lawsuit with the Santa Clara County District Attorney's office, agreeing to pay $900,000 but without admitting wrongdoing. MerchantCircle was accused of making automated telemarketing phone calls without a live person on their end. Telemarketers are required in California to have an actual person on the phone to allow recipients to opt out.[18]

On May 4, 2011, MerchantCircle launched the first mobile app designed for small businesses to manage marketing.[19]

On November 4, 2010, MerchantCircle announced it would acquire Bloglines from Ask.com. Ask had earlier announced it would shutter the service.[20]

On September 22, 2010, MerchantCircle announced the acquisition of online scheduling company TimeBridge.[21]

On May 24, 2010, MerchantCircle entered into an agreement with VeriSign. As part of the deal, MerchantCircle businesses display the "VeriSign Trust Seal" in their member profile on the MerchantCircle web site.[22]

On May 12, 2010, MerchantCircle expanded internationally, marketing its social networking service to Australia, Canada and the United Kingdom.[23]

On January 18, 2010, MerchantCircle announced the network's one-millionth member.[24]
Those are some scathing criticisms. And so timely! All from 2010, and now it's only, what, late 2015?

arthur
Contributor

Unread post by arthur » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:16 am

thekohser wrote:
Just guessing, because multiple scholarly works on the the number 74 also include a section on bus routes?

Okay, no-one's provided references to these works, but hey, there's no WP:DEADLINE, give it time...

There, everything's all right after all.

Mr. Distracto
Contributor

Unread post by Mr. Distracto » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:31 am

The plot section for "Brian the Closer". Goddamn, it's obnoxious how it talks about the "dumb beaver (who is used by Peter in just the right amount)" and every little character movement featured.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:11 pm

Another winner can be found in the Wikipedia article Just the Two of Us (Grover Washington, Jr. song) (T-H-L).

Such a great, classic tune by Bill Withers and Grover Washington, Jr. The core of the article gets only an infobox and a short lede. Then there's the obligatory 20-bullet list of "Cover versions".

Then comes this multi-part section of bullshit:
Toshinobu Kubota version
(infobox) "Just the Two of Us"

Single by Toshi Kubota featuring Caron Wheeler
from the album Kubojah: Parallel World I and Sunshine, Moonlight
Released June 25, 1996
Format CD, digital download
Recorded 1991
1995 (re-recorded)
Genre Reggae (Kubojah version)
R&B, soul (Sunshine, Moonlight version)
Length 4:28 (album version)
3:33 (single version)
Label Sony Music Entertainment Japan
Writer(s) Bill Withers, Ralph MacDonald, William Salter
Producer(s) Toshinobu Kubota, Ralph MacDonald, William Salter, Bill Withers
Toshinobu Kubota chronology
"La La La Love Song"
(1996) "Just the Two of Us"
(1996) "Body-Cation"
(1996)
Caron Wheeler chronology
"Keep On Movin' (Remix)"
(1996) "Just the Two of Us"
(1996) "Star"
(1999)
"Just the Two of Us" was covered by Japanese singer Toshinobu Kubota as a duet with Caron Wheeler in 1991, for his album Kubojah: Parallel World I. The song was credited as "Just the 2 of Us", featuring a reggae-style beat. In 1995, Kubota re-recorded the song, which appeared on his album Sunshine, Moonlight, with a more R&B-style beat. In 1996, he released the song as the second single from the album. The song charted at number 30 on the Oricon Weekly Singles chart and remained on the charts for a duration of five weeks.[4]

Music video
In 1996, Toshi Kubota and Caron Wheeler shot a music video for the song. The video setting takes place during the night at a party in Kubota's apartment. Wheeler watches the party from the fire escape of the next apartment building. The single version was used for the audio format of the video. There are also video shots of other musicians playing their instruments during the party, a group of elderly men playing cards outside the apartment on the sidewalk, and a couple dancing in another room of the apartment.

Live performances
In 1996, Kubota included the song into the setlist during the Oyeees! Tour. During the tour, Joi Cardwell, who sang backing vocals during the tour, performed the song as a duet with Kubota. In 2007, Double performed the song the MTV Japan Icons Special. During the performance, Kubota walk onto the stage to complete the song with her.[5] In 2012, Kubota performed the song with Japanese singer Yuri, who was also a background vocalist during his "Party Ain't A Party Tour". The performance was included on his concert DVD "Party Ain't A Party", which was released in May 2012.[6]

It is noted that while Toshinobu Kubota and Caron Wheeler have recorded this song, they have never performed the song together in concert.

Formats and track listing
CD Single[7]
Just the Two of Us (Butcher Bros. LP Remix) (duet with Caron Wheeler)
Maxi Single[8]
Just the Two of Us (Butcher Bros. LP Remix)
Just the Two of Us (Smooth R&B Mix)
Just the Two of Us (So So Def Remix)
Just the Two of Us (Club Mix Radio Edit)
Just the Two of Us (Street Mix) (featuring Fat Man Scoop and E. Bros.)

Personnel
Toshinobu Kubota – Vocals, Producer
Caron Wheeler – Vocals
Dirk Grobelny – Engineer (for Butcher Bros. LP Remix)
Joe "The Butcher" Nicolo – Producer (for Butcher Bros. LP Remix)
Mike Patterson – Bass, Guitar, Piano (for So So Def Remix)
Brian Frye – Engineer (for So So Def Remix)
Terrance Wooten – Keyboards (for So So Def Remix)
Phil Tan, Shannon Houchins – Mixing (for So So Def Remix)
Jermaine Dupri – Producer (for So So Def Remix)
Fiona – Additional vocals [rapping] (for So So Def Remix)
Bert Price – Mixing (for Smooth R&B Mix)
Co'Dee – Producer (for Smooth R&B Mix)
David Darlington – Engineer (for Club Mix)
James Preston – Keyboards (for Club Mix)
David Darlington, David Shaw – Programmed By [Rhythm] (for Club Mix)
David Shaw – Remix (for Club Mix)
It's just horrifying that this is an "encyclopedia".

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:17 pm

Why does the title call it a Grover Washington song when he didn't write it? Would anyone call "Ol' Man River" a Jules Bledsoe song just because he was the first person to sing it on stage and film, or an Irving Kaufman song because he was the singer on its first recording?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:49 pm

Poetlister wrote:Why does the title call it a Grover Washington song when he didn't write it? Would anyone call "Ol' Man River" a Jules Bledsoe song just because he was the first person to sing it on stage and film, or an Irving Kaufman song because he was the singer on its first recording?
The song was introduced to the public on Washington's album Winelight.