Bbb23 chastised by Arbcom, quits Wikipedia (on April Fool's Day)

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Giraffe Stapler
Habitué
kołdry

Re: Bbb23 chastised by Arbcom, quits Wikipedia (on April Fool's Day)

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:42 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:59 pm
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:16 pm
ArsenalFan wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:33 am
Thank you ArbCom. I have to praise you like I should.
Ok, you get a pass on the first Moby reference, but keep it up and I guarantee you will get blocked here! (joke, probably)
But that's Fatboy Slim, isn't it? I mean, if you (or anyone else) ever see any Moby references, don't hesitate to use the "Report Post" button.
Well, that's embarrassing. I may have to disappear, wait for everyone to forget this mistake, and come back with a different account...

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:54 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:42 pm
Well, that's embarrassing. I may have to disappear, wait for everyone to forget this mistake, and come back with a different account...
I could always just fix it, but I think we do have to get the word out about this "No Moby References" rule.

Ryuichi
Gregarious

Unread post by Ryuichi » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:54 am

Some tidy trolling on WT:ACN...
wrote: Bbb23 is entitled to leave the project, but I really hope he doesn’t! This whole situation is a disaster and I would urge Arbcom to retract whatever warning they issued and offer a full apology to Bbb23. Without his work, Wikipedia would perish. I know it, and so does everyone else. Arbcom should not be troubling our CUs with these burdensome prospects of being held accountable for their actions, and it should instead focus it’s efforts on keeping them protected from the scrutiny of the community. Access to the CU tool should be considered a right for these elite admins, and not something subject to revocation under any circumstances. What we’re seeing right now - the most active CU retiring, and another one not making checks in protest of Arbcom - is scary for the project. Arbcom, please stop burdening our CUs with these ridiculous rules and driving them off the project (unless you can find other admins who are willing to respect the CU rules, in which case I suppose it really doesn’t matter and the ones protesting can simply be replaced). 174.67.113.82 (talk) 00:23, 5 April 2020 (UTC)
:applause:

Ceoil
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Ceoil

Unread post by Ceoil » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:11 am

The fact that the people who complain loudest about him are so tedious indicates that he mightn’t haven’t been all that bad

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:52 am

Ceoil wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:11 am
The fact that the people who complain loudest about him are so tedious indicates that he mightn’t haven’t been all that bad

Bbb23 Did Nothing Wrong
We could sell you the bumper sticker if you like from the imaginary Wikipediocracy gift shop.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:28 am

Ceoil wrote:
The fact that the people who praise him the loudest are so well known on this board indicates that he might have just mixed with the wrong crowd. It's not his fault.

Instant Noodle
Critic

Unread post by Instant Noodle » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:45 am

Black Kite wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:32 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:22 pm
Black Kite wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:12 pm
The cynic in me wonders if ArbCom have been wanting to do this for ages, but held back because Bbb23 was basically doing most of the CU work - but now that ST47 is back and doing over 1,000 checks a month...
How is it possible to do 1000 checks a month and not break policy?
Quite easily, if you've got the spare time.

I see GW has clarified the situation - https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =948725423
It seems he did not like being held accountable and being answerable to anyone else for his actions. Not a good characteristic in a CU or an admin.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:51 am

Instant Noodle wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:45 am
It seems he did not like being held accountable and being answerable to anyone else for his actions. Not a good characteristic in a CU or an admin.
Yeah, he didn't like to be answerable to anybody. Many questions on his talk page regarding his actions were either unanswered or the answer sounded like a threat, after which there were no more questions...

Sendo
Contributor

Unread post by Sendo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:14 am

The title of this thread is quite wrong. He didn't quit, not even near. He knows what he's doing with this choreographed drama and the other post on ACN talk that's meant to bolster it.

He's still editing his talkpage to censor non-bootlicking comments while enjoying the fawning ones that are calling him greater than Wikipedia itself. I have not seen a very well calculated drama since after the so-called "resignations" during Fram case and likely it will take so many years before someone can repeat this.

Wikipedia community should really be grateful and salute the Arbitration Committee. The leadership demonstrated by current committee has been well beyond expectation. They are the beacon of hope for this project. I wish them well and hope they not be demoralized by these dramas and the uninformed comments by unwitting people who are not aware of the full facts but carried away by the public calculated drama, which is the only thing they know. We have seen this before.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:38 am

Sendo wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:14 am
The title of this thread is quite wrong. He didn't quit, not even near. He knows what he's doing with this choreographed drama...
Well, it was on April Fool's Day. :hrmph:

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:44 am

Ceoil wrote:
That's not the way you're supposed to think on Wikipedia. Judge each comment on its own merits, not the identity of the person making it. :XD
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

el84
Gregarious
Actual Name: Andy E

Unread post by el84 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:02 pm

Here is the gist of the email that was sent to Bbb23, according to Bradv on Arbcom:

Invalid reasons for checking accounts include the following:
* Suspicious new users.
There must be clear evidence of misuse of multiple accounts. Just being a new account is not enough.
* Creating a new article.
If the article is spam, treat it as such. The CU tool should not be used without evidence that multiple accounts are being misused.
* Editing a contentious topic.
Many of our new editors get involved because they see an error and want to fix it. This is encouraged, even when the topic is considered contentious.
* Commenting at ANI, ANEW, the TEAHOUSE, RfA, or noticeboard.
Editing project-space must not trigger an automatic check; new users are allowed to ask for help or report problems.
* An editor returning after a hiatus, with no evidence of disruption or sockpuppetry.
There must be on-wiki evidence that an account has been compromised. This should not trigger an automatic check.
* A clueless newbie making newbie mistakes.
Help them if they need help, don't violate their privacy or try to find reasons to block them. We must AGF, especially for new editors.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:17 pm

The correct answer is somewhere in between the paranoid checkusering of everybody for everything and the pollyannaish letter sent to BBB. Obvious socks are obvious and they need to be stamped out if the blocking system is to have any meaning whatsoever.

RfB

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:12 pm

The issue as far as ArbCom were concerned seems to be that Bbb23 was using checkuser tools in circumstances where it wasn't obvious that socking was going on. If Bbb23 has been checking accounts just for 'creating an article', ' returning after a hiatus', or 'making mistakes' he clearly wasn't using the tools in the manner they were intended.

Sendo
Contributor

Unread post by Sendo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:33 pm

And now after Risker's comment and posting of snippet of the message, it's becoming increasingly clear why Bbb23 and his friend chose to orchestrate this drama to gain the sympathy of the uninformed admins and other plebeians.

Her comment, diff here is quite revealing. The comment confirmed that the 'fishing' evidence presented by ArbCom was such strong that "participants [of the CU mailing list] seemed to pretty uniformly agree that they were inappropriate [fishing] checks."

And instead of him to be accountable for the fishing and whaling checks he has been doing (even the few presented in the list discussion), he decided to capitalize on the drama they crafted to achieve either one of the following or a combination thereof or even all.
  • Make himself even less accountable. Well, he sort of achieved this already, but he really wants fortify it. I have no doubt, if that evidence was against for instance, a less-connected checkuser, the level of this disruption, will earn him quick removal of the right completely.
  • Cast ArbCom in bad light and incite the plebs: "They have been desysoping our 'BESTEST admins', they are our enemies, let's join hands and fight them before they start removing checkusers who are on fishing rampage. Checkusers must remain unaccountable, they're not mere admins." That's the ploy in disguise.
  • Cow ArbCom. If the above plot succeeds, the consequence is that ArbCom will be demoralized. And the more demoralized they're, the less likely to reproach Bbb23 (and other beneficiaries of the drama) in the future. And that would mean even less likelihood of ever accepting a hard case involving a well-connected super admin like Bbb23. This comment by Bradv confirmed that. They have been planning this warning for God-knows-how-long, fine tuning it and voting on probably every single paragraph even though the evidence is such strong and the fishing policy violation monumental.

ArbCom don't let yourself to be cowed, please. Remain strong. The real community (thousands who voted for you) are behind you. You're not perfect, but you're doing well.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:18 pm

Osborne wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:51 am
Instant Noodle wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:45 am
Yeah, he didn't like to be answerable to anybody. Many questions on his talk page regarding his actions were either unanswered or the answer sounded like a threat, after which there were no more questions...
Like Betacommand, Bbb refused to communicate or explain himself.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:21 pm

I guess Bbb has powerful supporters because the surprise to me is how long he got away without even a reprimand.

He's been checkusering everything in sight for years. This is not new behaviour. Admins have been desysopped by Arbcom for far less abuse than this.

Even now, rather than stripping him of the tools, they just issued him a private reprimand/warning.

Icewhiz
Banned
Wikipedia User: Icewhiz

Unread post by Icewhiz » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:27 pm

Bbb23 will probably be back. The question is not so much if but when.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:44 pm

10920 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:21 pm
I guess Bbb has powerful supporters because the surprise to me is how long he got away without even a reprimand.
Not for checkuser abuse, but for "premature close" (read: shutting down) of an admin accountability report he was reprimanded a year ago in the
GiantSnowman case.
10920 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:21 pm
He's been checkusering everything in sight for years. This is not new behaviour. Admins have been desysopped by Arbcom for far less abuse than this.
Even now, rather than stripping him of the tools, they just issued him a private reprimand/warning.
Indeed, he got away with a minor slap on the wrist, compared to the damage he caused by driving away numerous editors - new and established - from the project and protecting certain suspected socks.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:31 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:17 pm
The correct answer is somewhere in between the paranoid checkusering of everybody for everything and the pollyannaish letter sent to BBB. Obvious socks are obvious and they need to be stamped out if the blocking system is to have any meaning whatsoever.

RfB
The art of being a good CU is knowing when there is enough suspicion to warrant a check. There are good CUs around, but of course we rarely if ever have cause to mention them.

Instant Noodle
Critic

Unread post by Instant Noodle » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:22 pm

Too many people become admins and CUs not to help build the encyclopedia but for ego gratification or some other sort of psychological fulfillment - which is why so many of them do very little actual editing let alone article creation or expansion. Whether Bbb23 exercises the same sort of authoritarianism in his professional life as some sort of manager or administrator or whether he's compensating for a lack of authority and control in the real world is immaterial and given his arbitrariness you might as well replace him with some sort of CU/admin bot.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:35 am

Instant Noodle wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:22 pm
Too many people become admins and CUs not to help build the encyclopedia but for ego gratification or some other sort of psychological fulfillment - which is why so many of them do very little actual editing let alone article creation or expansion. Whether Bbb23 exercises the same sort of authoritarianism in his professional life as some sort of manager or administrator or whether he's compensating for a lack of authority and control in the real world is immaterial and given his arbitrariness you might as well replace him with some sort of CU/admin bot.
I would guess that he's an assistant night manager at an Arby's.
The one everyone hates.

Edit:
Curse you spellcheck!
Last edited by Vigilant on Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Instant Noodle
Critic

Unread post by Instant Noodle » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:43 am

That he has so much time on his hands and has for so long (much longer than an average student spends in post-secondary) suggests he's either retired, chronically or at least largely unemployed, has a debilitating illness or disability, or has a job without much to do and without much responsibility (concierge, security guard) or at least a job where it's easy to slack off on company time. I can see people doing Wikipedia as a hobby or diversion but you have to wonder about people who do it as if it's a full-time job. They may either be sidelined or marginalized in the world, perhaps through no fault of their own, and so using it to give their lives some sort of meaning and order.

MrErnie
Habitué

Unread post by MrErnie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:42 pm

If this is how Bbb reacts to a very mild rebuke, imagine how the newbie good faith editors who were erroneously blocked as socks feel. Bbb routinely refused to try and communicate or respond to any sort of inquiry, so I have a hard time feeling any sympathy. If Bbb was all that stood between the honor of Wikipedia and an army of malicious socks, then we will know soon enough. Otherwise it would seem Bbb and supporters may have overinflated their own importance.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:59 pm

MrErnie wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:42 pm
If this is how Bbb reacts to a very mild rebuke, imagine how the newbie good faith editors who were erroneously blocked as socks feel. Bbb routinely refused to try and communicate or respond to any sort of inquiry, so I have a hard time feeling any sympathy. If Bbb was all that stood between the honor of Wikipedia and an army of malicious socks, then we will know soon enough. Otherwise it would seem Bbb and supporters may have overinflated their own importance.
Those poor newbies will probably never know. How likely are they to return?

I have no doubt that Bbb was doing some good. Conceivably it outweighed the harm he did, though that would be hard to prove and even if true is not a very good excuse for some of his outrageous conduct. It can't be denied that either the number of CU checks will drop sharply, or the other CUs will need to do a lot more work, or they'll have to promote several new CUs.

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:53 pm

Instant Noodle wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:43 am
I can see people doing Wikipedia as a hobby or diversion but you have to wonder about people who do it as if it's a full-time job. They may either be sidelined or marginalized in the world, perhaps through no fault of their own, and so using it to give their lives some sort of meaning and order.
Did I hear someone talking about me?

How about just doing it as a contribution to mitigate the spread of disinformation on the Internet?

Take a look at my contributions here. People are getting paid to produce this. Developers are paid to produce a tool that allows rookie editors to make edits with junk syntax. People are paid to work for a foundation that gets tuition-paying university students to add content that isn't properly vetted for basic quality (following the manual of style) by their paid professors.

I do my best to clean up after them and they don't even buy my coffee.

I offered to talk about what I do in Boston last November but the organizers weren't sufficiently interested to put me on the schedule.

They're offering grants to the Wikimedia community for strengthening credibility and reliability in the information ecosystem. I have an idea of hiring people to do some of the work I do, with me training them and supervising their work, but COVID-19 has thrown a monkey wrench in that idea.

Sorry this is off-topic for Bbb23. I'm not really in a position to supervise their work but I trust that the Arbitration Committee is on top of it now.
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

Instant Noodle
Critic

Unread post by Instant Noodle » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:14 pm

I didn't mean any offence. The point is if someone spends as much time doing WIkipedia as one would spend on a full-time job there is probably a reason. That's not a bad thing, there are many people who are unable to participate in the workforce through no fault of their own (and I've been in that situation myself in the past, sometimes for extended periods), who are able to focus on Wikipedia instead. But sometimes the reason they may have so much time available may be because of other underlying issues that also may make that person unable to interact well with others and may result in problems in their interaction with other editors. That may, in turn, make them unsuited for positions of authority.

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:15 pm

Something curious just happened. Just minutes after my post here, I started getting "database errors" upon trying to view any version of Egerton Ryerson (T-H-L) other than the current version.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:19 pm

@No Ledge:
I don't think this is even remotely about you. It's about Bbb23 and - on a broader aspect - about admin abuse and the difficulty to counteract it.
Poetlister wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:59 pm
I have no doubt that Bbb was doing some good. Conceivably it outweighed the harm he did, though that would be hard to prove and even if true is not a very good excuse for some of his outrageous conduct.
It's not comparable without an inherently subjective scale. I like to say that he did both good and bad. Unfortunately, with his day-and-night activity, ruling attitude and influence, the bad part resulted in a lot of toxicity and many disillusioned editors.

We have seen him mass-checking one side in RfAs, but not the other... that overwhelming number of actions wasn't even neutral, but served his bias / power gain. This is why his massive activity does not counterbalance the damage that was caused by bad actions.
Poetlister wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:59 pm
It can't be denied that either the number of CU checks will drop sharply, or the other CUs will need to do a lot more work, or they'll have to promote several new CUs.
ArbCom appointed 3 new CUs just a few months ago. Finally, they will have some space...

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:35 pm

Hey, the history of that bio is working again; I guess we just write that off as a coincidental momentary glitch in the software.

No offense taken, I know you guys weren't thinking about me. Just a little joke.

Sorry for the interruption, now back to regular programming.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:46 pm

No Ledge wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:53 pm
I'm not really in a position to supervise their work but I trust that the Arbitration Committee is on top of it now.
In the classical Wikipedian reply, SOFIXIT. Stand for ArbCom. Probably most people here who can vote would vote for you. And if Bbb23 returns, or another editor starts behaving in a similar way, you'll be able to do something about it.

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:18 am

So, what’s your BBB23 slink back to puppet stomping date?

I wish I knew more about the behavior that brought this to Arbcom’s attention. Just to try and do something to get him to carelessly repeat it and he gets the bit surgically removed. Yes, I’m aware his allies will read this and inform him to be careful. If that makes the turd burglar paranoid, that’s a bonus.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:23 pm

Confirmed: the world won't end without Bbb hunting for smelly socks.
Just yesterday I've met an admin socking in mediawiki development, of all places, and yet, here we are, the world didn't collapse into a singularity.

DexterPointy
Critic
Wikipedia User: DexterPointy

Unread post by DexterPointy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:37 pm

That's a fucking Drama-Queen pseudo-exit by Bbb23: He hasn't turned in his CU or Admin bits, despite a week having passed.
And, as Ritchie notes "he's still around removing posts he doesn't like." on his Talk-page, despite there having announced that "I will not be responding to messages posted to my Talk page.".
:tinyviolin:

I saw, in another thread on this forum, some betting going on related to the Corono-circus, and so: What odds are people willing to offer me on Bbb23 leaving enWP altogether, or him requesting removal of his bits (CU & Admin bits)?
Moderator's Note: The "betting" in question, which took place in one of our private forums, was an "over-under" on what the US unemployment rate will be on Nov. 3, 2020. While there has naturally been some speculation by members (also in private forums) as to the ultimate human toll of the Coronavirus pandemic, there has been no actual wagering on case numbers, death rates, or anything of that nature. Moreover, wagering in general is typically discouraged on Wikipediocracy unless — as was true in that case — the "winnings" are donated to charity. Finally, for the benefit of our casual readers, it should also be noted that in nearly all administrator diva-quitting cases similar to the one discussed in this particular thread, it is a matter of when, not if, the administrator will return.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:27 pm

DexterPointy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:37 pm
That's a fucking Drama-Queen pseudo-exit by Bbb23: He hasn't turned in his CU or Admin bits, despite a week having passed.
And, as Ritchie notes "he's still around removing posts he doesn't like." on his Talk-page, despite there having announced that "I will not be responding to messages posted to my Talk page.".
:tinyviolin:

I saw, in another thread on this forum, some betting going on related to the Corono-circus, and so: What odds are people willing to offer me on Bbb23 leaving enWP altogether, or him requesting removal of his bits (CU & Admin bits)?
I would never bet that he'll ever request removal of his bits. He might well carry on as a CU if it's to his advantage, and of course nobody except the other CUs would ever know.

el84
Gregarious

Unread post by el84 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:15 pm

BMK is currently doing... something all over the page? I just wish he'd not take 3424235 edits to do whatever he is doing.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:23 pm

el84 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:15 pm
BMK is currently doing... something all over the page? I just wish he'd not take 3424235 edits to do whatever he is doing.
It reminds me strongly of SmallBoner on JimboStalk.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:58 pm

el84 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:15 pm
BMK - as a regular occurrence in the same discussions where Bbb comments - has been a suspected sock of Bbb for a long time.
The only thing that raises doubts is that BMK still haven't learned to use wikitext properly and he always sounds like a 14 yo. Although, I can imagine Bbb is like that when he's acting more naturally than in his high-ranking position.
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ive_ArbCom here]. Please note especially Tony Ballioni's incisive comments. [[User:Beyond My Ken|Beyond My Ken]] ([[User talk:Beyond My Ken|talk]]) 23:05, 6 April 2020 (UTC)
This trio of toxic personas seem to support each other whenever necessary.

Lol Bbb also removed the link to the ArbCom discussion... where he can't remove the truthful comments.

Blatant whitewashing.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:04 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... rd#Break_2

Beeblebrox teaching good manners to the drama-queen/kids. Respect.

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:44 pm

"Did you use the checkuser tool against policy?"

"Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for these sockpuppets and you curse the checkusers. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that these policy-violating checkuser actions, while unfortunate, probably saved the encyclopedia. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves the encyclopedia. You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me there."

MrErnie
Habitué

Unread post by MrErnie » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:46 pm

BMK is just doing exactly what he always does. Which is to use a ton of bold and italics to make it seem like his opinion is much more important than yours.

MrErnie
Habitué

Unread post by MrErnie » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:49 pm

Mason wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:44 pm

"Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for these sockpuppets and you curse the checkusers. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that these policy-violating checkuser actions, while unfortunate, probably saved the encyclopedia. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves the encyclopedia. You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me there."
That’s actually a really good metaphor, but we need to know if the Marine Corp was taken down by those Jessup was fighting against after he was removed, and it also assumes that Gitmo is providing a useful, beneficial service.

el84
Gregarious

Unread post by el84 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:01 pm

MrErnie wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:46 pm
BMK is just doing exactly what he always does. Which is to use a ton of bold and italics to make it seem like his opinion is much more important than yours.
As I read the pages by going through the diffs, this just makes him look silly as there are '''''''''' all over the place, and he has to keep correcting himself.

Weirdly, when you go to the "View History" tab, a number of pages seem to be lagging behind by about 3 hours or so. Is this related to the database errors they've reported happening? link

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:14 pm

Oh no, we're all in '''big trouble now'''. link
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:15 pm

correction:
Beeblebrox wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:14 pm
Oh no, we're all in big trouble now. link
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:52 pm

Mason wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:44 pm

Praise be thy name, I'm dying of laughter instead of covid :rotfl:
tom-salute-1a.jpg

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:58 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the Arbitration Committee?

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:59 pm

MrErnie wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:46 pm
:XD
Beeblebrox wrote:
Uh oh. Brace yourselves.

So how much more it takes to deem BMK officially a drama-queen bludgeoning his apparently biased agenda and to take the necessary steps to minimize the disruption he creates? That means giving him the standard Bbb treatment of "You are disruptive... indef."

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:28 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
I'm having a sad because my wikifriend got caught being a shitheel so I'm going to passive aggressively threaten everyone who might have been involved within as inch of their wikilives!

I'll show them!

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:42 pm

Q. What standard of proof should be utilized when a Wikipedia editor or editors makes complaints about the behavior of a Wikipedia admin or functionary: (1) Where there's smoke, there's fire; (2) Probable cause; {3) A preponderance of the evidence; (4) Clear and convincing evidence; or (5) Beyond a reasonable doubt? On whom should the evidentiary burden fall, the editor making the complaint or the body investigating it, or the admin or functionary against whom the accusation has been made? Is the accused admin or functionary innocent until proven guilty, as in the Anglo-American system of justice. Beyond My Ken (talk) 11:16, 8 April 2020 (UTC)
Fixing that for you:
Q. What standard of proof should be utilized when a Wikipedia editor or editors is accused of sockpuppetry: (1) Where there's smoke, there's fire; (2) Probable cause; {3) A preponderance of the evidence; (4) Clear and convincing evidence; or (5) Beyond a reasonable doubt? On whom should the evidentiary burden fall, the accused sockpuppet or the checkuser investigating them? Is the accused sock innocent until proven guilty, as in the Anglo-American system of justice?