Victoria Taylor / "AnnBLea"

Discussion of financial interests of Wikimedia and companies who contribute, or simply spend money on a Wikipedia presence.
thekohser
Majordomo
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Victoria Taylor / "AnnBLea"

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:33 pm

Mod note: split from "Lily Cole's social network". -- Hex

I'm going to go a wee bit out on a limb and suggest that AnnBLea (T-C-L) is employed by ID public relations (T-H-L). Ann created the Wikipedia page for ID, along with several other subjects that would seem to be potential ID-PR clients.

She also created the Wikipedia page about Impossible.com (T-H-L), which is the soon-to-fail web community launched by Jimbo's model/actress friend, Lily Cole.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

thekohser
Majordomo

Re: Obvious paid editors are obvious

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:59 am

thekohser wrote:I'm going to go a wee bit out on a limb and suggest that AnnBLea (T-C-L) is employed by ID public relations (T-H-L). Ann created the Wikipedia page for ID, along with several other subjects that would seem to be potential ID-PR clients.

She also created the Wikipedia page about Impossible.com (T-H-L), which is the soon-to-fail web community launched by Jimbo's model/actress friend, Lily Cole.
I've been unable to figure out who AnnBLea is, so I'm putting up the TarantinoSignal, calling on the WPO crowdsourcing network to try to figure out who she is in real-life. Obviously, the importance of this rests in finding out if she was paid to create WP's article about Impossible.com, now that we've learned it was launched with 200,000 pounds sterling of UK government money.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:35 am

thekohser wrote:
thekohser wrote:I'm going to go a wee bit out on a limb and suggest that AnnBLea (T-C-L) is employed by ID public relations (T-H-L). Ann created the Wikipedia page for ID, along with several other subjects that would seem to be potential ID-PR clients.

I've been unable to figure out who AnnBLea is, so I'm putting up the TarantinoSignal, calling on the WPO crowdsourcing network to try to figure out who she is in real-life. Obviously, the importance of this rests in finding out if she was paid to create WP's article about Impossible.com, now that we've learned it was launched with 200,000 pounds sterling of UK government money.
I'm seeing "AnnBLea" come up on Scribd articles about Vince Vaughn and Sean Penn. They were published by Emereo Publishing. You may have trouble finding out who she is if she works there.

http://www.infosecisland.com/blogview/1 ... or-It.html

The plot thickens. Emereo is writing Wikipedia articles and then selling them. That's downright dirty. Legal, but ethically dirty.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:54 am

Another quick question to answer would be: Is Lily Cole represented by ID Public Relations? Closest match I've found so far is that Salma Hayek is represented by ID Public Relations, and Lily Cole was in attendance at Hayek's wedding.

It's difficult to read AnnBLea's wiki meetup name tag, isn't it?

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:45 pm

The Joy wrote:
thekohser wrote:

I'm seeing "AnnBLea" come up on Scribd articles about Vince Vaughn and Sean Penn. They were published by Emereo Publishing. You may have trouble finding out who she is if she works there.

http://www.infosecisland.com/blogview/1 ... or-It.html

The plot thickens. Emereo is writing Wikipedia articles and then selling them. That's downright dirty. Legal, but ethically dirty.
Eh, I retract that "Ann" may work at Emereo since the company probably just took her Wikipedia content and kept her name attached to satisfy the CC-by-Sa license. Mea culpa.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

thekohser
Majordomo

Re: Lily Cole's social network

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:35 pm

It's becoming quite clear to me that User:AnnBLea (T-C-L) is employed by (or at least contracted by) ID public relations (T-H-L). AnnBLea was the creator of the Wikipedia article about Impossible.com (T-H-L) (which doesn't mean she was paid to do so). Evidence that she was or still is in the employ of ID PR...

Her Wikipedia pages created:

Impossible.com (T-H-L)
David Kwong (T-H-L)
Michael Brandt (T-H-L) - Adapted for film the story of "3:10 To Yuma", produced by Relativity Media, which is represented by ID public relations.
Adam Ostrow (T-H-L) - Adam Ostrow is married to Kendall Elizabeth Aliment, who is employed in the digital strategy unit of ID public relations.
Tracy McMillan (T-H-L)
Fourth Wall Studios (T-H-L)
Elisa Sednaoui (T-H-L)
Answer This! (T-H-L)
Adam Anders (T-H-L) - Produced music for Glee series, which is supported by ID public relations.
ID public relations (T-H-L) - Hmm...
Sebastian Copeland (T-H-L) - Copeland's film "Into the Cold" was featured at Tribeca Film Festival, which ID public relations sponsors.
You Say Tomato, I Say Shut Up (T-H-L) - Book by Annabelle Gurwitch, client of ID public relations.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:55 pm

thekohser wrote:

There's a couple of group photos with her present, taken at the 2011 LA wiknic, courtesy of the LA Weekly.

Here she is sitting next to Max Klein, owner of untrikiwiki. Klein took the photo that graces her user page, at the same event.

She doesn't match any of the past or present ID PR employees that have profile photos on Linkedin, that I've seen.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:04 pm

AnnBLea's photo upload history appears similar to that of someone who was working (not too clandestinely) on wiki content on behalf of paying clients.

15:35, 16 March 2014 AnnBLea (talk | contribs) uploaded "File:David Kwong.png" (User created page with UploadWizard)

05:07, 23 August 2012 AnnBLea (talk | contribs) uploaded "File:Andrew Jenks.jpg"
18:42, 7 August 2012 AnnBLea (talk | contribs) uploaded "File:Andrew Jenks.png"

01:05, 7 July 2012 AnnBLea (talk | contribs) uploaded "File:Lily Cole.jpg"

03:22, 12 May 2012 AnnBLea (talk | contribs) uploaded "File:Dirty Work Banner.jpg"

03:28, 21 March 2012 AnnBLea (talk | contribs) uploaded "File:Saffron Burrows onstage.jpg"
Saffron Burrows is an ID public relations client.

04:32, 25 February 2012 AnnBLea (talk | contribs) uploaded "File:Drew Goddard.JPG"

05:58, 2 December 2011 AnnBLea (talk | contribs) uploaded "File:John Stamos.jpg"

20:36, 28 November 2011 AnnBLea (talk | contribs) uploaded "File:Graham Phillips.jpg"

07:02, 22 July 2011 AnnBLea (talk | contribs) uploaded "File:Miles Fisher.jpg"

17:57, 13 October 2010 AnnBLea (talk | contribs) uploaded "File:J wright.jpg" ({{Information |Description={{en|1=Photo of Jeffrey Right, Actor, from 2010.}} |Source=http://www.flickr.com/photos/47374324@N02/5036300525/ |Author=Steve Granitz |Date=2010 |Permission=Andrea Collins from Getty said this image could be used on September 2)
Jeffrey Wright is an ID public relations client.
Last edited by thekohser on Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:34 pm

thekohser wrote:AnnBLea's photo upload history appears similar to that of someone who was working (not too clandestinely) on wiki content on behalf of paying clients.
I found her. She's Victoria Taylor, formerly with ID PR, now director of communications for Reddit.

ImageImage

https://twitter.com/happysquid
http://muckrack.com/daily/2014/03/05/be ... on-reddit/

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:55 pm

Well done, Tarantino.

So, what I suspect (now, with this evidence) is that while at ID PR, Victoria Taylor got pretty good at sprucing up celebrity clients' Wikipedia articles, and good at getting celebrities to do AMAs at Reddit. Reddit then offered her a full time job, and she took it. But, as she was leaving ID PR, she said, "Hey, any time you need me to do Wikipedia work for you or any other showbiz cohorts, let me know, and I'll just charge you for my time."

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:33 pm

tarantino wrote: I found her. She's Victoria Taylor, formerly with ID PR, now director of communications for Reddit.

What a surprise! :banana:

She's chooter on Reddit.

Just fancy that:
We do not actively source or facilitate the posting of content other than AMAs and paid posts. We get a lot of requests from various entities and organizations that want to know the best ways to put content on reddit, but our consistent response to them is always to create the best possible content independently of reddit and let the community pick up on it themselves, or (if you need to guarantee visibility) to use sponsored headlines - you never want to submit your own content in an obfuscated way.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:59 pm

Hex wrote:
tarantino wrote: I found her. She's Victoria Taylor, formerly with ID PR, now director of communications for Reddit.

What a surprise! :banana:

She's chooter on Reddit.

Just fancy that:
We do not actively source or facilitate the posting of content other than AMAs and paid posts. We get a lot of requests from various entities and organizations that want to know the best ways to put content on reddit, but our consistent response to them is always to create the best possible content independently of reddit and let the community pick up on it themselves, or (if you need to guarantee visibility) to use sponsored headlines - you never want to submit your own content in an obfuscated way.

According to an NXNE press release, she's also VP of strategy at Sonic Boom Creative Media. That could be a mistake, though, because it isn't mentioned anywhere else. Sonic Boom Creative Media is a division of WPP Group plc, which had $17 billion in revenues last year.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:00 pm

So, we still have the mystery of "how is Victoria Taylor linked to Impossible.com?"

Could it just be plain old passing interest? That would be a first!

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:20 pm

tarantino wrote:According to an NXNE press release, she's also VP of strategy at Sonic Boom Creative Media. That could be a mistake, though, because it isn't mentioned anywhere else. Sonic Boom Creative Media is a division of WPP Group plc, which had $17 billion in revenues last year.
People can't type correctly any more. It's a semicolon problem. Ujwal Arkalgud is the Sonic Boom guy, listed after Victoria in that write-up.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:33 pm

From her LinkedIn (I don't appear to be able to make an external link):
As an Account Executive in the Digital Strategy Department at ID, Victoria has been a part of digital campaigns on behalf of the agency's clients including J/P HRO, Stand Up To Cancer, The Entertainment Industry Foundation, Pee-wee Herman, Maker Studios and Universal's Centennial Celebration.
Sure enough, in May 2011 AnnBLea made an edit to J/P Haitian Relief Organization (T-H-L) and to Sean Penn (T-H-L) in February 2010 (J/P HR is his).

A look at Entertainment Industry Foundation (T-H-L) reveals Ckvasko (T-C-L). Who only ever also edited... Stand Up To Cancer (T-H-L).
thekohser wrote: So, we still have the mystery of "how is Victoria Taylor linked to Impossible.com?"
Well, she's edited Cole's article more than once. Also, one of Cole's buddies is Salma Hayek, and her publicist is Cari Ross, long-time (now former) senior VP of ID PR.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

thekohser
Majordomo

Re: Victoria Taylor / "AnnBLea"

Unread post by thekohser » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:52 pm

tarantino wrote:
thekohser wrote:AnnBLea's photo upload history appears similar to that of someone who was working (not too clandestinely) on wiki content on behalf of paying clients.
I found her. She's Victoria Taylor, formerly with ID PR, now director of communications for Reddit.

ImageImage

https://twitter.com/happysquid
http://muckrack.com/daily/2014/03/05/be ... on-reddit/
Now that Reddit has fired her and the Reddit community is in revolt, Victoria gets her own Wikipedia article, Victoria Taylor (T-H-L), if it survives deletion.

If it gets deleted, there's a spare copy over here.

Here's the Consumer Reports "Wikipedian in Residence" who created Taylor's Wikipedia biography:

Mods, feel free to split this off into a new "Victoria Taylor" thread, since we're not clear what the connection between Cole and Taylor actually is.
Last edited by Hex on Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Disembiggened photo.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:43 pm

Some updates, in red.
thekohser wrote:Her Wikipedia pages created:

Impossible.com (T-H-L)
David Kwong (T-H-L) - Magic consultant for film "Now You See Me", from Lionsgate, SVP Eric Kops, former head of ID public relations' entertainment division
Michael Brandt (T-H-L) - Adapted for film the story of "3:10 To Yuma", produced by Relativity Media, which is represented by ID public relations.
Adam Ostrow (T-H-L) - Adam Ostrow is married to Kendall Elizabeth Aliment, who is employed in the digital strategy unit of ID public relations.
Tracy McMillan (T-H-L) - Represented by Carrie Byalick and Molly Kawachi, ID public relations
Fourth Wall Studios (T-H-L) - Represented by Gillian Smith and Judy Merrick, ID public relations
Elisa Sednaoui (T-H-L) - can't find a connection to ID public relations, but come on
Answer This! (T-H-L) - Starring Arielle Kebbel, publicity agent: ID public relations
Adam Anders (T-H-L) - Produced music for Glee series, which is supported by ID public relations.
ID public relations (T-H-L) - Hmm...
Sebastian Copeland (T-H-L) - Copeland's film "Into the Cold" was featured at Tribeca Film Festival, which ID public relations sponsors.
You Say Tomato, I Say Shut Up (T-H-L) - Book by Annabelle Gurwitch, client of ID public relations.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:58 pm

Carrite, the doxxer!

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:02 pm

thekohser wrote:Carrite, the doxxer!
No link, just a courtesy notification.

Greg, I would appreciate it if you would change your link from the rough first version to the polished last stable version, which I completed a few minutes later: linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =669935691[/link]

RfB
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:10 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:Greg, I would appreciate it if you would change your link from the rough first version to the polished last stable version, which I completed a few minutes later: linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =669935691[/link]

RfB
How else can we learn of an artist's craft, if we ignore the unpolished, rough cuts?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:14 pm

thekohser wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:Greg, I would appreciate it if you would change your link from the rough first version to the polished last stable version, which I completed a few minutes later: linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =669935691[/link]

RfB
How else can we learn of an artist's craft, if we ignore the unpolished, rough cuts?
I spent 5 edits on it to get the tone right. The first version has the wrong tone.

RfB
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:32 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
thekohser wrote:

RfB
I spent 5 edits on it to get the tone right. The first version has the wrong tone.

RfB
Wikipediocracy folk are wicked smart, Tim. They'll get to the bottom of it.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:54 pm

The following were all clients of ID PR whose bios AnnBLea edited at the time:

Michel Gondry (T-H-L)
Jake Gyllenhaal (T-H-L)
Natalie Portman (T-H-L)
Ben Stiller (T-H-L) and his company Red Hour Productions (T-H-L).
Julie Taymor (T-H-L)
Sophia Amoruso (T-H-L), specifically her Nasty Gal (T-H-L) retailer.
Judd Apatow (T-H-L) and his wife Leslie Mann (T-H-L)
Gerard Butler (T-H-L)
Alicia Keys (T-H-L)

Sources:

http://deadline.com/2010/09/id-pr-expan ... hip-65939/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mhaberman

https://www.id-pr.com/the_team.php (Natalie Bruss)

http://www.contactanycelebrity.com/memb ... w?id=12066

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/n ... men-789813

On Apatow, the connections apparently go deeper than being at one time a client as CEO and Founder of ID PR Kelly Bush Novak runs her own production and management company Vie Entertainment. She helped re-launch Paul Reubens'/Pee Wee Herman's career and her production company set up a new Pee Wee Herman movie that is being produced by Apatow.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:17 pm

So, might we draw some general conclusions from this?

Let's assume that from the vast set of "Redditors-who-support-Victoria", there is a subset who could be described as "Wikipediots-who-loathe-undisclosed-paid-editing". Can we assume that?

It would be very interesting to speak to such a person to understand how they would characterize Victoria Taylor's ethical constitution. For so long, I've heard that all undisclosed paid editors are "shills" and "spammers" and "hacks" -- but Taylor is being held up by the Intarwebz as nothing short of a martyred saint.

Meanwhile, what of the fully disclosed paid editors, known as "Wikipedians in Residence"? They don't seem compelled to abide by Jimbo's "Bright Line Rule". They don't limit themselves to article Talk page persuasion efforts. They just go right into articles and edit away! Why is what they do accepted by "the community"?