Another WMF employee, er, admin, bites the dust

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
enwikibadscience
Habitué
kołdry

Another WMF employee, er, admin, bites the dust

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Sock puppetry by an admin, oops WMF employee.

Former admin Kaldari's sock.
Disclaimer[edit]

I'm an employee of the Wikimedia Foundation, but also a regular Wikipedia editor. Unless otherwise stated, any edit to Wikimedia projects by myself is an act of a regular member of the community and administrator, not a legal or official action of the Foundation.
Thank you, Kaldari (T-C-L).

But how are the principled legal and official actions going?

:deadhorse:

(Thanks for the post in another thread about this.)

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Re: Another WMF employee, er, admin, bites the dust

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:35 pm

I am amused that an administrator of the English Wikipedia and employee of the Wikimedia Foundation does not know how to spell the word "reckon".
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:43 pm

A few points on "Kaldari."

1) His or her WP:AN/ANI "confession" portrays him or her as having some sort of crisis of conscience and seeking to hold himself or herself to an high administrator standard (chuckle) but other public comments in the record make clear that Kaldari was busted for socking a couple or three days in an open & shut case with checkuser evidence. So like someone in the discussion already stated, it appears Kaldari decided to leap before being pushed. The nobility tone of the confession thus actually rings quite the scoundrel the more that becomes known.

2) The public should be allowed to know "Kaldari's" actual name because he or she is an employee of WMF, a public charity. Anyone? His or her userpage only says he or she resides in Oakland, California, USA.

3) Is Kaldari as poorly skilled at socking as the case implies? He or she actually created a sparkling new sock account just a few days ago for the purpose of formally reporting Eric Corbett for purported (they look a bit carefully-phrased, exaggerated, and decontextualized at first glance)? How is that not going to end up at SPI? And Kaldari didn't even use a distinct IP or browser or anything? How inept and computer-clueless are the people WMF is hiring?

I'll read up on this more later, but for now I say bless you to Eric Corbett's defenders like Giano because you're not busting these "badmins" for Corbett only, you're busting them for all the maligned and shabbily-treated content creators. Corbett is more symbolic really.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Michaeldsuarez
Wikipedia Review Member: Michaeldsuarez

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:46 pm

Isn't this just a means for Kaldari to make Eric Corbett look bad? "I'm a powerful admin who bravely exposed my own sockpuppetry, but trust me when I say that I was fearing for my life just a few days ago." Are people really supposed to buy into that? Are we really supposed to believe that Kaldari was too afraid to report Eric as "Kaldari"? "Kaldari" is a pseudonym, not a real name, so what exactly was Kaldari afraid of? I agree with what Giano said. Am I being too cynical? No, I don't believe so.

Edit: Sorry, corrected. Even so, I still don't buy into his story, and I don't believe that he should be receiving praise from Johnuniq and others.
Last edited by Michaeldsuarez on Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:58 pm

Resolute sure is a shitheel.

Are there no noble protagonists that we can like in this wild west drama?

How is it that WMF employees who knowingly violate the most sacrosanct of rules, looking at you as well Oliver Keyes, can hand in an imaginary authority yet still remain employed by the very organization whose rules they have so deliberately flouted?

Are DMV employees allowed to drive drunk but must give up theirGoddamn you, autocorrect! right to cut in line?
Can fish and game employees take endangered wild life species without a license but give up beer on Friday party days?

Mind boggling.

At any real company, these miscreants would have been fired and walked to the door with their shit in a cardboard box.

Ah, I begin to understand.
Last edited by Vigilant on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Lukeno94
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Lukeno94

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:02 pm

A sock account, Hivehalon2 (T-C-L), was then created by someone to tag Kaldari's sock's userpage (the sock being Vox Brevis (T-C-L), in case anyone doesn't feel like visiting ANI)... and then that account was blocked as well. Quite why Resolute is defending Kaldari is anyone's guess.

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:11 pm

Vigilant wrote:Are there no noble protagonists that we can like in this wild west drama?
Risker? LOL!

I took the liberty of using a web-translator to decode the Latin at Vox Brevis' (the Kaldari sock) userpage. "Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito" is "Yield not to misfortunes, but advance more boldly against them." Kaldari by his or her actions is not advancing boldly but rather retreating cravenly.

The "Vox Brevis" account name though is more on the money: "a short statement."
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:21 pm

Arse longa, Vox brevis.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:24 pm

thekohser wrote:I am amused that an administrator of the English Wikipedia and employee of the Wikimedia Foundation does not know how to spell the word "reckon".
You reckon they should know?

He's also a coder. Imagine my surprise this former admin can't think through the SPI is going to happen, and he will be caught...

Administrators seldom seem to know the rules, or follow them. Being uncivil is the least of their crimes.

They don't contribute content, either. It's like this separate group whose only function is to bully content writers, break policy, and create drama.

:blink:

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:24 pm

Zoloft wrote:Arse longa, Vox brevis.
Lol.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:28 pm

Triptych wrote:A few points on "Kaldari."

1) His or her WP:AN/ANI "confession" portrays him or her as having some sort of crisis of conscience and seeking to hold himself or herself to an high administrator standard (chuckle) but other public comments in the record make clear that Kaldari was busted for socking a couple or three days in an open & shut case with checkuser evidence. So like someone in the discussion already stated, it appears Kaldari decided to leap before being pushed. The nobility tone of the confession thus actually rings quite the scoundrel the more that becomes known.
The tone of the confession was awesome! Be nice!
2) The public should be allowed to know "Kaldari's" actual name because he or she is an employee of WMF, a public charity. Anyone? His or her userpage only says he or she resides in Oakland, California, USA.
One of Sarah's neighbors?

3)How inept and computer-clueless are the people WMF is hiring?
Enquiring minds would really like an answer to this one.

Let's see, what he/she does for WMF. Ah, a coder.

Last edited by enwikibadscience on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:31 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:Isn't this just a means for Kaldari to make Eric Corbett look bad? "I'm a powerful admin who bravely exposed my own sockpuppetry, but trust me when I say that I was fearing for my life just a few days ago." Are people really supposed to buy into that? Are we really supposed to believe that Kaldari was too afraid to report Eric as "Kaldari"? "Kaldari" is a pseudonym, not a real name, so what exactly was Kaldari afraid of? I agree with what Giano said. Am I being too cynical? No, I don't believe so.
Lol. There is something behind that "confession," and the whole incident, that does not ring the least true.

:popcorn:

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:32 pm

3)How inept and computer-clueless are the people WMF is hiring?
Have you seen VisualEditor and Flow?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:33 pm

Triptych wrote:2) The public should be allowed to know "Kaldari's" actual name because he or she is an employee of WMF, a public charity. Anyone? His or her userpage only says he or she resides in Oakland, California, USA.
Ryan Kaldari (T-C-L) is his WMF account.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:35 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Are DMV employees allowed to drive drunk but must give up there right to cut in line?
Yes.

(Noting the failure of the COI-violating law firm to issue Sarah's cease and desist letter. They already have a boilerplate, what cost postage?)

Lukeno94
Gregarious

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:15 pm

Hmm. That WMF account reveals an interesting circumvention of general consensus and policy, where the WMF ran a non-community approve bot: diff. That note was reverted a minute later, and I'm surprised it wasn't oversighted.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:17 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:"Kaldari" is a pseudonym, not a real name, so what exactly was Kaldari afraid of?
Wait, so Ryan Kaldari is not his real name?
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:20 pm

Ryan's LinkedIn profile only lists one professional relationship, his role at Wikimedia. He has one recommendation, a software engineer who has since left Wikimedia, moved to Vancouver, and done nothing of discernable merit. The recommendation says nothing about his competency, just that he's "battle-tested" and, get this, "zero-drama".

My recollection is that he has been involved in the fundraising subsystem, which is, of course, the single most important part of Wikimedia, for about three years. The developers there are not entirely idiotic, because if they fail Wikimedia doesn't make fundraising goals. He might actually be marginally competent.

He's probably best known for being used on the fundraising banner a couple years ago, and being quite pissy about the Internet backlash created by it. (See also, for example, http://www.paperstreetbrigade.com/blog/ ... an-kaldari.) He's also an arachnophile. As far as I can tell, Ryan Kaldari is his real name.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:24 pm

Lukeno94 wrote:Hmm. That WMF account reveals an interesting circumvention of general consensus and policy, where the WMF ran a non-community approve bot: diff. That note was reverted a minute later, and I'm surprised it wasn't oversighted.
so we apologize for the unorthodoxed action.
At least he's a real editor who knows how to write...

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Michaeldsuarez
Wikipedia Review Member: Michaeldsuarez

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:41 pm

thekohser wrote:
Michaeldsuarez wrote:"Kaldari" is a pseudonym, not a real name, so what exactly was Kaldari afraid of?
Sorry, I posted my comment after reading Triptych's comment. I'm not too familiar with this individual.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:45 pm

Triptych wrote:I took the liberty of using a web-translator to decode the Latin at Vox Brevis' (the Kaldari sock) userpage. "Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito" is "Yield not to misfortunes, but advance more boldly against them."
Also, according to Wikipedia, the motto of the Ludwig von Mises Institute (T-H-L).
I think it's from Virgil (the Roman one, not the Thunderbirds pilot...)

(I think "malis" might be "bad" or "evil" rather than "misfortune" but it might carry connotations of both...)
Last edited by Jim on Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:53 pm

Jim wrote:
Triptych wrote:I took the liberty of using a web-translator to decode the Latin at Vox Brevis' (the Kaldari sock) userpage. "Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito" is "Yield not to misfortunes, but advance more boldly against them."
Also, according to Wikipedia, the motto of the Ludwig von Mises Institute (T-H-L).
Huh. I would not have guessed he was a fan.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Mason wrote:
Jim wrote:
Huh. I would not have guessed he was a fan.
Maybe he's not. It's from the Aeneid, parts of which I was actually forced to read in Latin at school (far too long ago for me to remember any of it), so it might be a generic quote, in wider use.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:00 pm

How very, very interesting.
Some information has come to my hands...

I'll be Al. I like Al.
Ryan can be Jack.
Eric can be Wild Bill.
[Jack has just been found not-guilty of killing Wild Bill Hickock]

Al Swearengen: What's your name, it's Jack, ain't it?

Jack McCall: Yes, sir! You buy me a drink, I'll make my mark.

Al Swearengen: Stick around camp, Jack- I'll make mine for you.

Jack McCall: What in the hell is that supposed to mean?

Al Swearengen: Means there's a horse waiting for you outside you'll want to get on before somebody murders you who gives a fuck about right and wrong- or I do.

[Jack stares, dumbfounded]

Al Swearengen: It's the paint, Jack. Right outside my joint.

[whispering]

Al Swearengen: Run for your fucking life.
You just know things are going to get interesting when Vigilant is quoting Deadwood.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:11 pm

Here's my personal hit parade of Ryan Kaldari quotes.

Regarding the Wikipedia Review / MyWikiBiz pages on "why you shouldn't donate to the Wikimedia Foundation":
That page is so full of misinformation, it hardly warrants commentary...
Regarding a conversation where he mostly agreed with me that the Wikimedia Foundation and the Wikipedia community are mostly helpless to stop paid editing of Wikipedia, he closes with:
I still believe that Kohs has gone far beyond being a useful
critic. Yes, he has points that are worth discussion, but that doesn't
mean we have to overlook his disruptive behavior. He clearly has an axe
to grind and intends to grind it. We don't have to facilitate that.
Regarding a proposal to restore my rights to post to Foundation-l mailing list:
If you guys want to invite Kohs back to the list, I'll be happy to
unsubscribe myself.
Regarding my critique of his "WikiLove" program:
I'm not sure why you expect to get any sympathy from me. You insulted my work on every major tech blog on the internet. And as usual, it was with misinformation and insinuation, not facts. I'm sure you don't actually care, but the Wikimedia Foundation didn't waste millions of dollars on developing WikiLove. It was a project that I built on my own initiative, on my own time, as a volunteer. (I work for the fundraising department, not features development.) The Foundation endorsed it and asked me to add a few features, but they certainly didn't waste a lot of money on it. If you thought it was a dumb project, fine, but using it to criticize the Foundation was just adding insult to injury.
Regarding a survey that the WMF hosted, where any respondent could complete the survey as many times as he or she liked, and could forward it to as many friends as they wanted, because it was a one-URL-welcomes-all sampling design, Kaldari was asked, "Would you still contend that the survey was constructed in a way that would minimize skewed results?":
Yes, since the survey specifically asks how how those people use and
interact with Wikipedia. If your friends are not active users of
Wikipedia, the results would show that. If they are active users and
contributors then their opinions would be weighted accordingly.
Regarding the "blackout" of the Italian Wikipedia:
The WMF isn't allowed to lobby for or against legislation, per our 501c3
non-profit status in the US.
Note: Kelly Martin responded to that notion...
The statement is also wrong. Non-profits may lobby for or against legislation, when the legislation is relevant to their purpose as a non-profit; virtually all responsible non-profits have, at some time, issued a policy statement related to some proposed legislation, and some non-profits do little but. What non-profits may absolutely not do is campaign for or against a candidate for office. In any case, whoever said that the WMF is not permitted to lobby for or against legislation (apparently Ryan Kaldari) is an idiot. But we already knew that.

Regarding the fact that Charity Navigator had given the Wikimedia Foundation only one star on the measure of organizational efficiency:
The reason Charity Navigator gives the Wikimedia Foundation 1 star for organizational efficiency is because we spend a very small percentage of our funds (virtually none) directly on educational resources (our service/product). Instead we spend the money on developing software and supporting our volunteer community since they are the ones who create the educational resources. The is the opposite of what philanthropic donors traditionally look for in a non-profit. Traditionally, you want as much of your money as possible to go directly towards the end product or service. You don't want a thousand middlemen all taking a cut. In our case, however, the thousand middlemen are all unpaid volunteers, so it doesn't make a difference. Thus our organizational "inefficiency" is actually a strength rather than a weakness.
So, it's kind of like a fraternal organization that spends some of its money on helping kids with cancer, but most of the money goes to the big festivals and dinner parties for the members to "network" with one another. Got it, Ryan. Got it.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:23 pm

thekohser wrote:
His birth name appears to be Ryan C. Smith, but he's been using Ryan Kaldari since 2003.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:30 pm

tarantino wrote:
thekohser wrote:
His birth name appears to be Ryan C. Smith, but he's been using Ryan Kaldari since 2003.
Well, since people started with the Google translate, try this:
http://translate.google.com/#auto/en/kaldari
Icelandic? Don't think I ever stumbled on that before in autotranslate...

Maybe he wanted to be "cooler" than "Smith"?

I know it's debatably an offence to comment on appearance this week, but he does look a wee bit like someone who might just conceivably "want" to be "cooler" than "Smith"...

Funny from here even though probably just one of those random things...

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:42 pm

tarantino wrote:
thekohser wrote:
Middle name...and I SHIT YOU NOT...Corbett

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:44 pm

Vigilant wrote:
tarantino wrote:
thekohser wrote:
Middle name...and I SHIT YOU NOT...Corbett
Oh, I'm going to bed before we get to the lost lovechild bit. :blink:

Wow - that's some coincidence, but you Americans do love that old "using surnames as forenames" thing.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:47 pm

I'll note that Tarantino's and Vigilant's information above provided no evidence that we can document. I'm very uncomfortable about this site being used to "name" people without any documentary support.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:50 pm

thekohser wrote:I'll note that Tarantino's and Vigilant's information above provided no evidence that we can document. I'm very uncomfortable about this site being used to "name" people without any documentary support.
It's sourced from Kaldari's blog, angelblade.com. He said he legally changed his name.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:59 pm

tarantino wrote:
thekohser wrote:I'll note that Tarantino's and Vigilant's information above provided no evidence that we can document. I'm very uncomfortable about this site being used to "name" people without any documentary support.
It's sourced from Kaldari's blog, angelblade.com. He said he legally changed his name.
Thank you, Tarantino.

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:12 pm

Ajraddatz wrote:Why does this person work for the WMF? This isn't the first wiki that Kaldari has created a sockfarm on either, see en.wikiquote. I say get the WMF to cease paying them, and remove any advanced permissions, since they obviously can't be trusted with them. Ajraddatz (Talk) 19:04, 7 March 2014 (UTC)

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:16 pm

Mason wrote:
Ajraddatz wrote:Why does this person work for the WMF? This isn't the first wiki that Kaldari has created a sockfarm on either, see en.wikiquote. I say get the WMF to cease paying them, and remove any advanced permissions, since they obviously can't be trusted with them. Ajraddatz (Talk) 19:04, 7 March 2014 (UTC)
Obviously.

:blink: :blink:

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:47 pm

Kaldari != Kalki

What I do wonder is if someone would be kind enough to ask Ryan Corbett Smith, "How many other sockpuppets have you employed on wikipedia?"

Full disclosure of sockpuppets is generally required from admitted sockmasters to avoid full on banning.

dogbiscuit
Retired
Wikipedia User: tiucsibgod

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:04 pm

Jim wrote:
I think it's from Virgil (the Roman one, not the Thunderbirds pilot...)
I think the only appropriate quote I can think of from The Real Virgil rather than that old author is: "He's not going to make it."
Time for a new signature.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:33 pm

It seems to be in particularly bad taste that Ryan Corbett Smith aka Ryan "Kaldari" seek to chastise Eric Corbett over a seeming insensitivity regarding the suicide of a young man.

Here's one of Ryan's sites that deals with the subject of death in a tactful and thoughtful(!) manner.
What?! What?! What?!

Not wanting to make any mistakes, I made sure to verify that Ryan is the registrant of that site.
All public information, my pets.

Some of the more thoughtful posts in no particular order.
NSFW
It goes on and on and on and on with this puerile drivel.
Nine pages of "users" who share a common element of what I like to call "fuckwittedness".(TM) Vigilant - all rights reserved

Here's another particularly nice image.
Because nothing says, "I'm a valuable employee of the WIKIMEDIA FOUNDATION!!1One" more than running a site that hosts posts dedicated to mocking murdered children.

Here's a pic to "comfort" you...
The Poet Kaldari, in his own words.:
Eric didn't say anything about the suicide victim. He was belittling the tragedy of the suicide and criticizing the ensuing outpouring of sympathy. I doubt Eric even knew who the victim was. Kaldari (talk) 20:37, 25 February 2014 (UTC)
Fuck you, Ryan. Just ... fuck you.
Last edited by Zoloft on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: hide tags and NSFW warning

Lukeno94
Gregarious

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:39 pm

Do we really need those images in here?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:43 pm

Do we really need those images in here?
Yes, if you look at partial evidence, you will probably come to the wrong conclusion. If you look at Eric's statements in the context of the discussion, it is clear that he is belittling the suicide. For example, in response to people's comments about how saddened they are by the editor's death, Eric replies that "People commit suicide every day."[5] Yes, that is a factual statement, but in context it is belittling (as it downplays the importance of this particular suicide). Saying that something "happens every day" makes it sound less important. Making something sound less important is the definition of "belittling". Kaldari (talk) 21:20, 25 February 2014 (UTC)
Yes. Yes we do.
Ryan Smith is a hypocritical shitbag and if the pictures weren't shown, he'd try and weasel out of it.

P.S. Ryan, sweetie, I've scraped both your sites. I have copies of everything. Run along now and try not to be such a dickhole.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:00 pm

Beautiful... just beautiful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... ip/Kaldari
3. Have you been in any conflicts over editing in the past or do you feel other users have caused you stress? How have you dealt with it and how will you deal with it in the future?

A. Like most active editors, I've been in a few editing conflicts, mostly NPOV disputes. I practice the one-revert rule though, so I'm generally not a party to edit wars. I often try to find compromises between conflicting parties, and I always discuss any conflicts on the discussion pages. I've found that even the most stubborn POV-pushers can be reasonable if you're patient enough to negotiate. And of course keeping an open mind helps.
Unless it's Eric Corbett and in that case, fuck him!

Lukeno94
Gregarious

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:05 pm

I don't doubt that he's a shitbag, based on this evidence, but I think for NSFW purposes it would be best to put them in a spoiler hatting or something.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I have to say that snuffster.com looks to be an extremely tasteless site. It looks like Kaldari originally registered it back in 2002 or 2003, and it's possible that he's no longer actively involved in it, but if he's not his failure to disassociate himself from it ought to be viewed as problematic, at the very least. He certainly has no business lecturing other people on issues related to suicide or death.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:12 pm

Lukeno94 wrote:I don't doubt that he's a shitbag, based on this evidence, but I think for NSFW purposes it would be best to put them in a spoiler hatting or something.
I would appreciate that, also, while granting they were posted with purpose.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:12 pm

Lukeno94 wrote:I don't doubt that he's a shitbag, based on this evidence, but I think for NSFW purposes it would be best to put them in a spoiler hatting or something.
I'll hide the one with the tit in it. Fair?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:15 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:I have to say that snuffster.com looks to be an extremely tasteless site. It looks like Kaldari originally registered it back in 2002 or 2003, and it's possible that he's no longer actively involved in it, but if he's not his failure to disassociate himself from it ought to be viewed as problematic, at the very least. He certainly has no business lecturing other people on issues related to suicide or death.
He's still paying the registration fees as of 2013... well after he started working for the WMF.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:19 pm

Which gets me back to another gripe.

Who in the hell is vetting these people prior to hiring them?!?!

How hard would it be to run someone's name through google before offering them a damn job?!

Off all the departments within WMF, Human Resources has to be doing the worst job of them all.
And they're up against some pretty stiff competition from Engineering.

How many more of your employees do we have to investigate before you fuckwits learn to operate a search engine in the pursuit of due diligence?
Last edited by Vigilant on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:20 pm

Vigilant wrote:
I'll hide the one with the tit in it. Fair?
Can you hat them, but leave them all?

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:20 pm

Vigilant wrote:Which gets me back to another gripe.

How hard would it be to run someone's name through google before offering them a damn job?!

Off all the departments within WMF, Human Resources has to be doing the worst job of them all.
And they're up against some pretty stiff competition from Engineering.
You assume they're being vetted. Why?

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:35 pm

Vigilant wrote:Which gets me back to another gripe.

This is the organization that made Carolyn Doran Chief Operating Officer despite a prior theft conviction. It's obvious that the only criterion for employment at the WMF is an unswerving dedication to the "awesomeness" of Wikipedia.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:36 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:I have to say that snuffster.com looks to be an extremely tasteless site. It looks like Kaldari originally registered it back in 2002 or 2003, and it's possible that he's no longer actively involved in it, but if he's not his failure to disassociate himself from it ought to be viewed as problematic, at the very least. He certainly has no business lecturing other people on issues related to suicide or death.
sigh ... life is a series of tests.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.