enwikibadscience
Habitué
kołdry

Re: Crap articles

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:34 pm

DanMurphy wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:
Ming wrote:Booya Stones (T-H-L)?
The Booya Stones are three sacred stones in the Murray Islands, north of Australia, guarded by priests. The stones glow with a blue light. The Australian writer Ion Idriess stated that the light is focused into a beam and directed at a human being, it causes an X-ray effect that always results in death.[citation needed] When Europeans came to the Murray Islands, the priests hid the stones, and no one knows where they are now kept.[1]

There are no known images of the actual stones nor much information about these stones on the internet.
:rotfl:
Citation needed. Well, someone is hard at work at en.Wikipedia.

:blink:
Now nominated for speedy deletion by avid Wikipediocracy reader TheRedPenOfDoom (T-C-L). The hoax has already been there for over two years.
I am not totally sure it is a hoax, but I appreciate all thhe helpful gnomish edits that did nothing. And qhat's with removing citationa, then saying they are needed, by a sock puppet looking editor?

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:37 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:
DanMurphy wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:
Ming wrote:Booya Stones (T-H-L)?
The Booya Stones are three sacred stones in the Murray Islands, north of Australia, guarded by priests. The stones glow with a blue light. The Australian writer Ion Idriess stated that the light is focused into a beam and directed at a human being, it causes an X-ray effect that always results in death.[citation needed] When Europeans came to the Murray Islands, the priests hid the stones, and no one knows where they are now kept.[1]

There are no known images of the actual stones nor much information about these stones on the internet.
Citation needed. Well, someone is hard at work at en.Wikipedia.

Now nominated for speedy deletion by avid Wikipediocracy reader TheRedPenOfDoom (T-C-L). The hoax has already been there for over two years.
I am not totally sure it is a hoax, but I appreciate all thhe helpful gnomish edits that did nothing. And qhat's with removing citationa, then saying they are needed, by a sock puppet looking editor?
Then an eatablished editor turned it into a redirect, an IP reverted nd removed the OR tag.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =580887941

Someone should screen cap this diff by diff, I am on satt.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Kummer's theorem (z = −1)[edit]
There are many cases where hypergeometric functions can be evaluated at z = −1 by using a quadratic transformation to change z = −1 to z = 1 and then using Gauss's theorem to evaluate the result. A typical example is Kummer's theorem, named for Ernst Kummer:

which follows from Kummer's quadratic transformations
Failed to parse(unknown function '\begin'): {\begin{aligned}_{2}F_{1}(a,b;1+a-b;z)&=(1-z)^{{-a}}\;_{2}F_{1}\left({\frac a2},{\frac {1+a}2}-b;1+a-b;-{\frac {4z}{(1-z)^{2}}}\right)\\&=(1+z)^{{-a}}\,_{2}F_{1}\left({\frac a2},{\frac {a+1}2};1+a-b;{\frac {4z}{(1+z)^{2}}}\right)\end{aligned}}

and Gauss's theorem by putting z = −1 in the first identity. For generalization of Kummer's summation, see a paper by Lavoie, et al.
Shouldn't all that be in Kummer's theorem (T-H-L)? At present, that's a fairly unhelpful stub.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:58 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:And qhat's with removing citationa, then saying they are needed, by a sock puppet looking editor?
That's Wikipedia strandard dirty trick number 42.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:57 pm

enwikibadscience wrote: Someone should screen cap this diff by diff, I am on satt.
No need for screen caps. Wikipedia:List of hoaxes on Wikipedia/Booya Stones (T-H-L)
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:00 pm

Hex wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote: Someone should screen cap this diff by diff, I am on satt.
No need for screen caps. Wikipedia:List of hoaxes on Wikipedia/Booya Stones (T-H-L)
Lol. Thanks.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:55 pm

lonza leggiera wrote:Judging from this discussion, the sudden appearance of messages like this in many articles on mathematics would appear to be due to the application of the same sort of engineering principles which have led to the triumph of the Visual Editor.
And see also WikiProject_Mathematics#Problem_with_multiline_equations (T-H-L).

A couple of years ago I became aware of Vandalize Every Equation (Google Search returns "About 174,000 results (0.22 seconds"). ED's article on VEE states:
The average mongrel dumbass opines, to questions of Wiki-legitimacy, that while TOW is not a reliable source for humanities topics, it is a reliable source for factoids related to exact and natural sciences. Vandalize Every Equation hopes to systematically erode this remaining source of credibility by adding intentional errors into LaTeX equations.
The article also includes examples and instructions.

At first I thought this must be a joke, but I read enough of those 174,000 Google results, and talked about it to enough math/sci people, to make me believe that VEE does exist, and openly communicates in arcane corners of the internet. That LaTeX fails to parse on WP could be the best thing ever to happen to the sum total of human knowledge.
Problem still present. Isn't there a way to post a warning about this issue? Just to avoid people editing all sorts of math articles, escalating problems. This section in this talk page isn't all that easily found, even when looked for:) This is a serious issue after all. I think it should be posted somewhere central that it's known and is a server-side problem. --Loudandras (talk) 19:21, 7 February 2014 (UTC)

Personally, I think all articles in the List of mathematics articles should be semi protected, and an edit notice added saying that Wikipedia's implementation of LaTeX is broken, until it is fixed. I doubt that I would be able to convince WP:RFPP that this is an appropriate course of action, but even after one day I think this is going to require related changes patrolling of the List of mathematics articles by someone with tool server access (which afaik means Jitse). More than a day will be an unmitigated disaster. Sławomir Biały (talk) 19:30, 7 February 2014 (UTC)

I'm afraid a bunch of physics-related articles will be affected as well (Maxwell's equations for instance have already been 'fixed'). Not that removing the 'align' environments causes disaster, but these formulae would still look better in the original version. This could really get messy. --Loudandras (talk) 22:37, 7 February 2014 (UTC)
Has VEE ever been discussed here? I am still willing to believe that it's all an elaborate hoax.
former Living Person

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:12 pm

Mancunium wrote:Has VEE ever been discussed here?
Not here, it was mentioned on WR long ago, and ignored.

http://encyclopediadramatica.es/Vandali ... y_Equation

You might be onto something. This would be a great area for subtle vandalism. I'm wondering if this is a major reason why Charles Matthews is treated with such respect on WP, and why they continue to tolerate Mathsci's abuses. Because they recognize that they need capable mathematicians, despite their open hatred of "experts". Hypocrites.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:14 am

Old hat. It's been replaced with something even worse, VisualEdit Every Equation.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:26 pm

This version of Metropolitan Correctional Center, Chicago (T-H-L), before I took an axe to the "notable events" section.

Added by something calling itself MDEVER802 (T-C-L). It's been editing Wikipedia for two years, about... prisons and prisoners. Nothing else.
Frequently edited pages

ADX Florence[WP] (669)
List of former inmates of US Penitentiary, Florence ADX[WP] (372)
United States Penitentiary, Marion[WP] (291)
United States Penitentiary, Tucson[WP] (146)
United States Penitentiary, Coleman[WP] (142)
United States Penitentiary, Allenwood[WP] (119)
United States Penitentiary, Hazelton[WP] (106)
United States Penitentiary, Terre Haute[WP] (105)
Federal Correctional Complex, Butner[WP] (102)
United States Penitentiary, Victorville[WP] (100)
List of U.S. federal prisons[WP] (99)
United States Penitentiary, Beaumont[WP] (96)
United States Penitentiary, Leavenworth[WP] (90)
Federal Correctional Institution, Terre Haute[WP] (87)
United States Penitentiary, Florence High[WP] (86)
Metropolitan Correctional Center, New York[WP] (80)
Federal Correctional Institution, Miami[WP] (80)
Metropolitan Correctional Center, Chicago[WP] (79)
United States Penitentiary, Big Sandy[WP] (78)
United States Penitentiary, McCreary[WP] (78)

Zagalejo
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Zagalejo

Unread post by Zagalejo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:41 pm

Hex wrote:
I think it's a good faith contribution based on whatever is in the Colin Wilson book. There are a couple of Google Books results that show this isn't completely made up. I still don't think it's a viable article, but it doesn't seem that the author was pulling a prank.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:46 pm

Zagalejo wrote:
Hex wrote:
I think it's a good faith contribution based on whatever is in the Colin Wilson book. There are a couple of Google Books results that show this isn't completely made up. I still don't think it's a viable article, but it doesn't seem that the author was pulling a prank.
I am not sure it's a hoax, either, but it also does not seem notable.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:43 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:
Zagalejo wrote: I think it's a good faith contribution based on whatever is in the Colin Wilson book. There are a couple of Google Books results that show this isn't completely made up. I still don't think it's a viable article, but it doesn't seem that the author was pulling a prank.
Hmm. It seems to originate from a novel called Drums of Mer (T-H-L) (which article is incidentally a worthy candidate for this thread). Note the word novel. At some point someone has taken fiction as fact and it was all downhill from there. If it wasn't a hoax, then it was definitely a long-running stupidity. A double smack for TheRedPenOfDoom (T-C-L) for tagging it for speedy deletion as a hoax, and Anthony Bradbury (T-C-L) for carrying out the deletion on that basis.

I've removed it from the list of hoaxes - my fault for putting it there, but I really expected its original basis for deletion to have been checked by the deleting administrator - and re-deleted it.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:47 pm

Hex wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:
Zagalejo wrote: I think it's a good faith contribution based on whatever is in the Colin Wilson book. There are a couple of Google Books results that show this isn't completely made up. I still don't think it's a viable article, but it doesn't seem that the author was pulling a prank.
Hmm. It seems to originate from a novel called Drums of Mer (T-H-L) (which article is incidentally a worthy candidate for this thread). Note the word novel. At some point someone has taken fiction as fact and it was all downhill from there. If it wasn't a hoax, then it was definitely a long-running stupidity. A double smack for TheRedPenOfDoom (T-C-L) for tagging it for speedy deletion as a hoax, and Anthony Bradbury (T-C-L) for carrying out the deletion on that basis.

I've removed it from the list of hoaxes - my fault for putting it there, but I really expected its original basis for deletion to have been checked by the deleting administrator - and re-deleted it.
Probably a good call. Lol.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:35 am

World Kindness Day (T-H-L)

Not a lot of kind things to say about this article.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:38 pm

Hex wrote:Added by something calling itself MDEVER802 (T-C-L). It's been editing Wikipedia for two years, about... prisons and prisoners. Nothing else.
Hmm, probably someone with a real interest and knowledge of the subject. We can't have people like that editing Wikipedia. Only people who edit in many different fields and know very little about any of them should be allowed.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:11 am

Poetlister wrote:
Hex wrote:Added by something calling itself MDEVER802 (T-C-L). It's been editing Wikipedia for two years, about... prisons and prisoners. Nothing else.
Hmm, probably someone with a real interest and knowledge of the subject. We can't have people like that editing Wikipedia. Only people who edit in many different fields and know very little about any of them should be allowed.
With contributions of this calibre, I think not.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:47 am

Hex wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
With contributions of this calibre, I think not.

Alison
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Alison
Wikipedia Review Member: Alison
Actual Name: Alison Cassidy

Unread post by Alison » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:25 am

Some messages moved to member-only forum here.
-- Allie

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:52 am

Alison wrote:Some messages moved to member-only forum here.
:XD

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:32 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:
More like :wtf:

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:21 pm

Hex wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:
More like :wtf:
And now, since you like the thread so much, just for you:

IBM Distinguished Engineer (T-H-L)

86Mookie
Contributor
Wikipedia User: MookieZ
Wikipedia Review Member: MookieZ

Unread post by 86Mookie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:37 am

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:25 am

86Mookie wrote:Project assurance (T-H-L)
Painful.
Project / Programme Assurance is the specialized discipline and practice involving independent and objective oversight, specialized experience, and audit skill sets to assess risk, finance, accounting, compliance, safety and performance for any major capital expenditure, or major infrastructure investment.
Project / Programme Assurance value is improving performance and efficiencies; cost avoidance and recovery, and risk avoidance and management according to pre-defined success and failure factors to improve delivery confidence for the project/ programme stakeholders.
Project / Programme Assurance professionals typically serve and report to the Board of Directors of private companies and publicly held companies, governmental bodies, banking concerns (development, investment and commercial banks), insurance, surety companies, and any other entity that is responsible for mega project investments that often exceed $1 billion.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:26 am

Found in a Metafilter thread about the new remake of Robocop:
Peter Weller's wikipedia entry is a thing of beauty.
No, it's not. It looks like typical Wikipedia basement-dweller, badly organized drivel. The opening paragraph prominently mentions Weller's minor roles in two recent TV shows, which is commonplace when you have basement-dwelling manchildren writing an "encyclopedia". They don't know that anything happened 20 years ago, much less 100 years or 1000 years. Historical blindness. Plus, you have to dig deeply into this article to learn that Weller has a degree in art history and teaches at Syracuse University. But it goes on and on, in erratic fashion, about his assorted minor TV appearances in the last 15 years. This "feature" seems to be average for WP biographies of famous actors.

And for information, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai receives far more attention on Wikipedia than it did in theaters when it was released; back in 1984, it was a big flop. Yet the Wikipedia article mushmouths on and on about its "cult classic" status.

Also, about half of Weller's article was written by an utterly hapless dork called Typhoon966 (T-C-L), who loves video games and Coldplay.

Even though they seem to be older and more experienced than average Wikipedia goons, the Metafilter people can often be just as hapless and out-to-lunch-y.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:37 am

EricBarbour wrote:Found in a Metafilter thread about the new remake of Robocop:
Peter Weller's wikipedia entry is a thing of beauty.
No, it's not. It looks like typical Wikipedia basement-dweller, badly organized drivel. The opening paragraph prominently mentions Weller's minor roles in two recent TV shows, which is commonplace when you have basement-dwelling manchildren writing an "encyclopedia". They don't know that anything happened 20 years ago, much less 100 years or 1000 years. Historical blindness. Plus, you have to dig deeply into this article to learn that Weller has a degree in art history and teaches at Syracuse University. But it goes on and on, in erratic fashion, about his assorted minor TV appearances in the last 15 years. This "feature" seems to be average for WP biographies of famous actors.

And for information, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai receives far more attention on Wikipedia than it did in theaters when it was released; back in 1984, it was a big flop. Yet the Wikipedia article mushmouths on and on about its "cult classic" status.

Also, about half of Weller's article was written by an utterly hapless dork called Typhoon966 (T-C-L), who loves video games and Coldplay.

Even though they seem to be older and more experienced than average Wikipedia goons, the Metafilter people can often be just as hapless and out-to-lunch-y.
What is with the disorganization of articles? Describe a plant, okay, it's a tree of this size, has bark like this, flowers like that and these leaves. Instead, the verge Wikidia editor describes the tree, the leaves, back to a tree detail, another part of the leaf, the flower.

And thy freak out when you notice.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:13 am

A "real encyclopedia" would not have a 21k-byte article about Flappy Bird (T-H-L).
With 44 references.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:17 am

EricBarbour wrote:A "real encyclopedia" would not have a 21k-byte article about Flappy Bird (T-H-L).
With 44 references.
No but it might have an article about Thomas Rainsborough (T-H-L) with some useful references, and without the bullshit that has been in it for almost 7 years.

Hex may be able to work out the nonsense unaided, but here are some clues for the rest: First added by admin Georgre (T-C-L), Carcharoth (T-C-L) then comes along and removes the good bits of Georgre's nonsense leaving the bad, later an IP uses a trowel to smear the shit across the entire article. Some one comes along a year ago notices the problem but only removes half of it. Finally Foxhunter22 (T-C-L) a SPA who seems to be puffing up articles with Rainsboro 'family' history, works on it for about 2 months, without noticing the problem.

All in all a typical WP blog page.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:39 am

Nice story about 'It's a Long Way to Tipperary':

Song that won war: It's a long way to Tipperary and a long time to pay royalties
Legendary wartime song's name was changed in a pub bet and it still garners royalties today
The Mirror, 19 February 2014 link
[...] Within weeks the song’s popularity had spread among all the troops fighting the Germans and it became one of the four-year war’s defining symbols. One hundred years ago this was at first unknown to the man who had written the song five years earlier. Harry Williams, 41, was 300 miles away in rural Warwickshire, unable to answer the call to arms because he had been confined to a wheelchair since a childhood accident. [...] In the last 100 years it is estimated three million copies have been sold in the USA and another five million around the world. [...] But when Harry died from pneumonia at 50 in March 1924, his role in one of the nation’s most famous songs all but died with him. [...] [Harry's great-niece] Meg eventually decided to launch a campaign to have Harry’s part in writing Tipperary officially recognised. [...] “I put it all on a website and sent it off to the Imperial War Museum. They now have the paperwork in their archive and they wrote letters saying they recognise his role in the song. It was 2012 when we got the formal recognition that he wrote the song. [...] However, the song’s Wikipedia entry has not caught up and still claims it was “written by Jack Judge and co-credited to, but not co-written by, Henry James ‘Harry’ Williams”. [...]

A documentary on Harry Williams will be aired on BBC Coventry & Warwickshire on February 25 at 11.30am as part of the BBC’s World War One At Home project.
It's_a_Long_Way_to_Tipperary (T-H-L)
Harry Williams with his parents and brother: still being screwed over by Wikipedia
former Living Person

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:25 am

Mancunium wrote:Nice story about 'It's a Long Way to Tipperary'<snip>
Wikifiddlers wrote:One example of its use is in the annual television special It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Snoopy – who fancies himself as a First World War flying ace – dances to a medley of First World War-era songs played by Schroeder. This song is included, and at that point Snoopy falls into a left-right-left marching pace. Schroeder also played this song in Snoopy Come Home at Snoopy's party. Also, Snoopy was seen singing the song out loud in a series of strips about his going to the 1968 Winter Olympics. In another strip, Snoopy is walking so long a distance to Tipperary that he lies down exhausted and notes "They're right, it is a long way to Tipperary."
:hamsterwheel:

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:02 pm

Bernard Lovell (T-H-L) has a photo captioned "Sir Bernard Lovell in the 21st Century". When in that century? The photo was taken in July 2000. Even if people on Wikipedia don't know that 2000 was part of the 20th century, why not just caption it "Sir Bernard Lovell in 2000"? Shorter and more informative.

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:09 am

Henry Rinnan (T-H-L)

Several paragraphs or sentences in the article are confusing or outright incomprehensible.

Anthonyhcole
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Anthonyhcole

Unread post by Anthonyhcole » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:47 pm

Anthonyhcole wrote:Reliability of Wikipedia (T-H-L)
More 'crap titles' than 'crap articles'. Could you redirect it to 'Unreliability of Wikipedia'? To be fair, there is some criticism in that article.
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

Anthonyhcole
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Anthonyhcole

Unread post by Anthonyhcole » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:59 pm

Between 2008 and 2012, articles in medical and scientific fields such as pathology,[5] toxicology,[6] oncology,[7] pharmaceuticals,[8] and psychiatry[9] comparing Wikipedia to professional and peer-reviewed sources found that Wikipedia's depth and coverage were of a high standard.
No they didn't. I looked at two at random and neither said anything about depth or coverage.
The reliability of Wikipedia articles can be measured by the following criteria:
*Accuracy of information provided within articles
*Appropriateness of the images provided with the article
*Appropriateness of the style and focus of the articles[23]
*Susceptibility to, and exclusion and removal of, false information
*Comprehensiveness, scope and coverage within articles and in the range of articles
*Identification of reputable third-party sources as citations
*Stability of the articles
*Susceptibility to editorial and systemic bias
*Quality of writing

The first four of these have been the subjects of various studies of the project, while the presence of bias is strongly disputed on both sides, and the prevalence and quality of citations can be tested within Wikipedia.[24] In addition, the scientific research in the area of computational mechanism for trust and reputation in virtual societies was oriented to increase the reliability and performance of electronic communities such as Wikipedia with more quantitative methods and temporal factors.[25]
Oh right.

Apart from its ununderstandableness in parts and misrepresenting sources, the article - or at least the bits of it I've read - also conflates quality and reliability and is awash with OR and opinion.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:14 pm

Anthonyhcole wrote:
Between 2008 and 2012, articles in medical and scientific fields such as pathology,[5] toxicology,[6] oncology,[7] pharmaceuticals,[8] and psychiatry[9] comparing Wikipedia to professional and peer-reviewed sources found that Wikipedia's depth and coverage were of a high standard.
No they didn't. I looked at two at random and neither said anything about depth or coverage.
The reliability of Wikipedia articles can be measured by the following criteria:
*Accuracy of information provided within articles
*Appropriateness of the images provided with the article
*Appropriateness of the style and focus of the articles[23]
*Susceptibility to, and exclusion and removal of, false information
*Comprehensiveness, scope and coverage within articles and in the range of articles
*Identification of reputable third-party sources as citations
*Stability of the articles
*Susceptibility to editorial and systemic bias
*Quality of writing

The first four of these have been the subjects of various studies of the project, while the presence of bias is strongly disputed on both sides, and the prevalence and quality of citations can be tested within Wikipedia.[24] In addition, the scientific research in the area of computational mechanism for trust and reputation in virtual societies was oriented to increase the reliability and performance of electronic communities such as Wikipedia with more quantitative methods and temporal factors.[25]
Oh right.

Apart from its ununderstandableness in parts and misrepresenting sources, the article - or at least the bits of it I've read - also conflates quality and reliability and is awash with OR and opinion.
Made up information from sources? Was it a DYK or WikiCup article to begin with?

But, the Wikipedia response, "It will be corrected."

Eventually. Like the seven-year-old misspelled plant family that now has 35,000 g-hits courtesy of Wikipedia's incompetency.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:38 am

One World Futbol (T-H-L) is just plain shitty....not surprisingly it was the subject of a Reddit TIL thread.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:29 am

The split personality and revanchist fervor make this article truly crappy: William Lundy (T-H-L)

Note how the lede and the infobox are at war with each other.

Damn Yankees!

:hamsterwheel:

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:57 am

Cla68 wrote:Henry Rinnan (T-H-L)

Several paragraphs or sentences in the article are confusing or outright incomprehensible.
Well, besides the "pre German" which is probably a typo for "pro German", and not putting "gang monastery" in commas, I understood it all? (Of course, I am familiar with the story.) With all that is written about him, it is a shame that the article is so lacking in sources, however.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:37 pm

Look at the photo of Mary Harron (T-H-L).

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:11 pm

EricBarbour wrote:Look at the photo of Mary Harron (T-H-L).
No doubt they'd say that's the only free photo they can find. However, in that case the article would be better with no photo at all.

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:12 am

I Hit It First (T-H-L)
The song is a reference to Ray J's past relationship with American reality star Kim Kardashian. In spite of Ray J's remonstrations as to who or what exactly the song is about, there are numerous allusions to his stint with his former girlfriend and bragging about it in his song openly. The single cover actually is a photo-shopped picture of Kardashian. Kardashian's current boyfriend and rapper, Kanye West and former husband and basketball player, Kris Humphries are indirectly referenced in the song, with the chorus saying: "She might move onto rappers, and ball players, but we all know I hit it first". Ray J also mentions in the song the sex tape which he made with Kardashian that launched her career as a reality star.[1][2][3][4]

Stierlitz
Regular
Wikipedia User: not a Wikipedian
Wikipedia Review Member: N/A

Unread post by Stierlitz » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:34 am

Poetlister wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:Look at the photo of Mary Harron (T-H-L).
No doubt they'd say that's the only free photo they can find. However, in that case the article would be better with no photo at all.
.....Aand there is no photo in the article right now.

They're listening.

Lukeno94
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Lukeno94

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:55 am

Well, it was removed by Santa Claus of the Future (T-C-L), who is clearly one of the members here

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:56 am

Micah Meisner (T-H-L). If you look at the history, it's obvious that Micah frequently edits his bio while not logged in.

A quote from the article is "He is a writer/director, FBI/CIA Investigator for Cyberdivision who lives in Vancouver, British Columbia." No, he doesn't work for the CIA or FBI.

After perusing his many blogs, such as "Statement on Conspiracy to Commit First Degree Murder Against Micah Meisner", it is apparent he has some mental health and substance abuse issues.
Toronto and other people involved are guilty of playing a part in a
first degree conspiracy to commit murder against an innocent
filmmaker who was the victim of psychological and physical abuse
his entire life.

They helped hold him hostage in a house he never grew up in
under bio-chemical terrorism, nuclear chemical weapon terrorism,
hydrogen bomb planting, laser beam to skull terrorism,
and other forms of direct energy weapon terrorism.
Would a real encyclopedia host such an autobiography?

Duke Olav III
Verified PseudoIdentity
Wikipedia User: Duke Olav Otterson of Bornholm

Unread post by Duke Olav III » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:38 pm

Røget sild!

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:32 pm

Duke Olav III wrote:Shams-uddin Muhammad Kurt I (T-H-L)
Yep. "Later he visited the newly crowned Mongol ruler Möngke Khan in Mongolia, who gave him much Greater Khorasan, and possibly land as far as the Indus."

Welcome to our humble band of rogues.

:welcome:

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:46 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Yep. "Later he visited the newly crowned Mongol ruler Möngke Khan in Mongolia, who gave him much Greater Khorasan, and possibly land as far as the Indus."

Ow.

Duke Olav III
Verified PseudoIdentity

Unread post by Duke Olav III » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:08 pm

Zoloft wrote:

Mange Tak, a pleasure to be here.
Røget sild!

Duke Olav III
Verified PseudoIdentity

Unread post by Duke Olav III » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:35 pm

He again visited Abaqa Khan, accompanied by Shams-uddin the Sahib Diwan, in 1276-7, and this time the former good opinion of the Mongol sovereign in respect to him seems to have been changed to suspicion, which led to his death, for he was poisoned in January 1278, by means of a water-melon given to him while he was in the bath at Tabriz. Abaqa Khan even caused his body to be buried in chains at Jam in Khorasan.
Røget sild!