thekohser
Majordomo
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Outrage (2009 film)

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:54 pm

There is currently a dispute on Wikipedia that we've all seen before. I find it so tedious, that I cannot be arsed to look into the details myself, so apologies for that. Apparently there was a little-known film in 2009 called "Outrage". It didn't make more than $300,000 total, and it wasn't one of the top 100 films of the year. It did, however, "name and shame" a number of individuals regarding their sexual orientation.

Of course, decent people would say that Wikipedia should discuss the film in general, but there is no need to document "Person X was alleged in the film to be gay", and "Person Y was alleged in the film to be a lesbian".

Unfortunately, Wikipedia is full of about equal numbers of decent people and reprehensible scum.

You know what the "outrage" is? That Wikipedia would even heatedly discuss whether or not to drag out real people's names, because there were allegations about them in an unknown film; yet, if you try to document (each with a reliable source) the customers of a $4 billion company, that's not at all allowed.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Re: Outrage (2009 film)

Unread post by HRIP7 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:20 am

thekohser wrote:You know what the "outrage" is? That Wikipedia would even heatedly discuss whether or not to drag out real people's names, because there were allegations about them in an unknown film; yet, if you try to document (each with a reliable source) the customers of a $4 billion company, that's not at all allowed.
Business is evil. People being gay or not is lulz. QED.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:24 am

I like how nearly every entry in the article has like fifteen citations. Some people really want to keep the information.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:06 am

Four familiar names have fought over this: Cirt, Binksternet, Ocaasi, and Collect. All showing their typical political biases. Colect being one of WP's few well-embedded conservatives, it often turns into him vs. whoever. B-net stuck in those long strings of references.

The squabble must have attracted some LGBT activists. One, Sportfan5000 (T-C-L), performed a major expansion yesterday.

Ming
the Merciless

Collect & Co.

Unread post by Ming » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:49 am

EricBarbour wrote:Four familiar names have fought over this: Cirt, Binksternet, Ocaasi, and Collect. All showing their typical political biases. Colect being one of WP's few well-embedded conservatives, it often turns into him vs. whoever.
The MilesMoney expulsion campaign was a classic Collect/StAnselm/Arthur Rubin project, with help from perpetual conservative bystander Carolmooredc (and eventually, a cast of thousands).

collect
Regular
Wikipedia User: Collect

Unread post by collect » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:34 pm

EricBarbour wrote:Four familiar names have fought over this: Cirt, Binksternet, Ocaasi, and Collect. All showing their typical political biases. Colect being one of WP's few well-embedded conservatives, it often turns into him vs. whoever. B-net stuck in those long strings of references.

The squabble must have attracted some LGBT activists. One, Sportfan5000 (T-C-L), performed a major expansion yesterday.

Your only problem is that I am not a "conservative" - I am (according to lots of "quizzes") stuck in the dead centre of the "Nolan Chart." That said, it might mean that some of the others are so "anti-conservative" that they see me as "da enemy." I would note Jehochman is not a "conservative" either - but that he agrees with my policy-based statements. Cheers.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:23 pm

Time for some posts to be split.
Edit: split political posts to ... link

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

MilesMoney
Critic
Wikipedia User: MilesMoney

Re: Collect & Co.

Unread post by MilesMoney » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:07 am

Ming wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:Four familiar names have fought over this: Cirt, Binksternet, Ocaasi, and Collect. All showing their typical political biases. Colect being one of WP's few well-embedded conservatives, it often turns into him vs. whoever.
The MilesMoney expulsion campaign was a classic Collect/StAnselm/Arthur Rubin project, with help from perpetual conservative bystander Carolmooredc (and eventually, a cast of thousands).
I don't disagree with your conclusion and can't help laughing at Collect's pathetic attempts to pretend that he's not a right-wing ideologue. If you want real laughs, you should read TParis' defense of my ban link. The numbers don't even add up and he dishonestly failed to count supporters (such as SPECIFICO). But the best part is that the table hides the questionable circumstances and fails to address merit.

This wouldn't be the first time for either. I explained why the ban was a joke (link), but instead of a response addressing the specifics, TParis attacked me with a whiny demand for my talk page edit rights to be removed. After he got his way, Beeblebrox hid away the entire matter so that it wouldn't embarrass TP further.

The hypocrisy is delicious.