2013 ArbCom candidates

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Captain Occam
Gregarious
kołdry

2013 ArbCom candidates

Unread post by Captain Occam » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:57 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... Candidates

The nominations are starting to come in, so we probably ought to have a thread to discuss what we think of this year's candidates.

One of the current arbitrators whose term is ending has bungled things so badly over the past two years, the community's going to be making a major mistake if they re-elect him. Cla68 and The Devil's Advocate can probably guess who I'm referring to, but there's no need to go into more detail when he hasn't indicated yet whether he intends to run again. Hopefully he'll do the wise thing, and not seek another term.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: 2013 ArbCom candidates

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:33 am

Who among us shall run? Perhaps an entire WPO slate?

:rotfl:

The sad thing is that we probably now have enough followers to elect a whole new Arbcom. But the institution is so fatally flawed and distrusted now that we'd simply give it the kiss of death.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:43 am

Aren't they all meant to be bulk resigning this year?
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:11 pm

Zoloft wrote:Who among us shall run? Perhaps an entire WPO slate?

The sad thing is that we probably now have enough followers to elect a whole new Arbcom. But the institution is so fatally flawed and distrusted now that we'd simply give it the kiss of death.
That does explain why the Arbcom Elections logo looks like a tissue box. :sad:
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:21 am

I'd say, let them install some more corrupt idiots.

Hell, the first self-nominee, Mormon editor Richwales, has done plenty of COI editing on LDS-related articles. No one ever points this out.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:21 am

EricBarbour wrote:I'd say, let them install some more corrupt idiots.

Hell, the first self-nominee, Mormon editor Richwales, has done plenty of COI editing on LDS-related articles. No one ever points this out.
If I could pick the ARBCOM, it would consist of one of two distinct sets.

Option 1 - boring but useful) 15 randomly chosen people.
Option 2 - lulz!!) Fae, Russavia, Wnt, Prioryman, NewYorkBrad, Qworty, LittleGreenRosetta, Jimbo Wales, Sue Gardner, Oliver Keyes, Brandon Harris, MathSci, Sceptre, Silver Seren, Jeff Merkey

Choose option#2. No more boring ARBCOM!!
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:28 am

Vigilant wrote:

Option 2 - lulz!!) Fae, Russavia, Wnt, Prioryman, NewYorkBrad, Qworty, LittleGreenRosetta, Jimbo Wales, Sue Gardner, Oliver Keyes, Brandon Harris, MathSci, Sceptre, Silver Seren, Jeff Merkey

Say one thing about option #2:
Drop NYB, Jimbo and Sue - the rest of the list are PEOPLE WHO KNOW HOW TO GET THINGS DONE!

THINGS WOULD GET DONE.

Maybe not entirely nice things, but they would get done. :axemurderer:

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:31 am

Zoloft wrote:
Vigilant wrote:

Drop NYB, Jimbo and Sue - the rest of the list are PEOPLE WHO KNOW HOW TO GET THINGS DONE!

THINGS WOULD GET DONE.

Sub in Ottava Rima for one of the lessers then.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:54 am

Vigilant wrote:Option 1 - boring but useful) 15 randomly chosen people.
I wonder how well it would work if each arbitration case had its own randomly selected group of people to decide it, the way is done for jury trials in the real world. It would certainly help eliminate the problem of ArbCom tending to favor the “establishment” editors and admins, but it probably would introduce a new problem of the juries sometimes including vandals or socks.

Tippi Hadron
Queen
Wikipedia User: DracoEssentialis
Actual Name: Monika Nathalie Collida Kolbe

Unread post by Tippi Hadron » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:24 am

Vigilant wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
Vigilant wrote:

THINGS WOULD GET DONE.

Beeblebrox (T-C-L) of the Order of the Honey bucket (T-H-L). And Orangemike (T-C-L). And that jealous little fame worshipper that is PinkAmpersand (T-C-L). Is the latter still interning with The Atlantic? Any bets on how he got that gig? Poor kid isn't exactly a writer...

Oh, and, of course, Nomoskedasticity (T-C-L), the most empathic of them all. :rotfl:
I think J-Lil once referred to him as the shit stain on the bed sheets of humanity. No truer words...

That said, I'll miss NYB.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:37 am

Tippi Hadron wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
Vigilant wrote:

THINGS WOULD GET DONE.

Beeblebrox (T-C-L) of the Order of the Honey bucket (T-H-L). And Orangemike (T-C-L). And that jealous little fame worshipper that is PinkAmpersand (T-C-L). Is the latter still interning with The Atlantic? Any bets on how he got that gig? Poor kid isn't exactly a writer...

Oh, and, of course, Nomoskedasticity (T-C-L), the most empathic of them all. :rotfl:
I think J-Lil once referred to him as the shit stain on the bed sheets of humanity. No truer words...

I'll miss Ira as much as I would miss a recurrent MRSA infection on my tender dangly bits.

SHOCKINGLY INAPPROPRIATE! Delightfully mischievous!!

Newyorkbrad
Gregarious

Unread post by Newyorkbrad » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Vigilant wrote:I'll miss Ira as much as I would miss a recurrent MRSA infection on my tender dangly bits.
My arbitrator term has another year to run, so you'll have to continue dealing with both.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:22 pm

Newyorkbrad wrote:
Vigilant wrote:I'll miss Ira as much as I would miss a recurrent MRSA infection on my tender dangly bits.
My arbitrator term has another year to run, so you'll have to continue dealing with both.
Simile (T-H-L)
former Living Person

Tippi Hadron
Queen
Wikipedia User: DracoEssentialis
Actual Name: Monika Nathalie Collida Kolbe

Unread post by Tippi Hadron » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Vigilant wrote: I'll miss Ira as much as I would miss a recurrent MRSA infection on my tender dangly bits.
Aw, you're such a romantic. :wub:

I thought that NYB attempting some 11th-hour damage control for Jimbo in the run-up to the publication of Andrew Leonard's Qworty exposé had a certain je-ne-sais-something.

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:25 pm

Tippi Hadron wrote:
Newyoorkvrad is as dishonest and as cowardly as everybody else sitting on that committee. An honest person simply cannot survive the arbitration committee, he will either stop participating, resign or be voted out of the island as Iridescent was. The arbitration committee works on consensus, and as Margaret Thatcher said:
To me, consensus seems to be the process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values and policies. So it is something in which no one believes and to which no one objects.
and this is an exact description of how the committee, and Wikipedia in whole work. Members of the committee have abandoned all beliefs, principles, values and policies of civilized world.
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:57 pm

Newyorkbrad wrote:
SHOCKINGLY INAPPROPRIATE!!!

I guess you get some kind of power rush from playing den mother to that pack of misanthropic fools...

[Redacted.]

Edit: He wants to dance...
Don't start none, won't be none.
Last edited by HRIP7 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Redaction. Vigilant, you know better.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:29 pm

I might try and convince ent to run....

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:59 pm

Anroth wrote:I might try and convince ent to run....
Do you mean NE Ent (T-C-L)?

I suppose he'd have the potential to be a good arbitrator, based on the judgement he's displayed in the AN/I and AE threads where I've seen him participate, but I think history has shown that non-admins have next to no chance of being elected to ArbCom. The voter guides have often listed candidates as not acceptable for no reason besides "not an admin".

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:58 pm

Candidate Richwales (T-C-L)wrote
Voter guide on banned user's talk page?

Since Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L) is currently under an indefinite ban (see Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Kiefer.Wolfowitz and Ironholds#Kiefer.Wolfowitz banned (T-H-L)), I seriously question whether he should be maintaining an ACE2013 voter guide on his talk page (see User talk:Kiefer.Wolfowitz#Voting guide: Arbitration Election 2013 (T-H-L)).
What do others think?
Richwales (T-C-L) (no relation to Jimbo) 10:32 pm, Today (UTC+1)
My voter guide opposes only one candidate, Richwales, with these words:
Richwales is running on two pillars, civility and NPOV. Raising NPOV, which is supported by all, is a distraction, just like in 2012. My 2012 guide explains why his candidacy was inadequate, respectfully. This year I shall be blunter, because Richwales's statement fails to show any greater self-awareness or acknowledgment of the concerns of those who opposed him:

His statement ignores
  • the difficulty of protecting quality articles from tendentious editors, often illiterates and ideologues.
    this year's Arbcom, particularly its acquiescence to
    • private contacts amongst individual adults and individual children, despite parental objections
      misogynistic statements, often deployed to put women in their place on Wikimedia.
      misuse of IRC by Wikipedia administrators and WMF staff.
If elected, Richwales could push a schoolboy understanding of civility (focusing on naughty words, rather than on overall behavior) ahead of the other pillars, which concern the encyclopedic aspects of Wikipedia.
Of course, Wikipedia has no policy against my writing a guide to elections this year. In particular, while the election RfC confirmed the policy of candidates having to be in good standing, it made no such requirement on guide writers.

In inventing policy to prevent criticism of his policies and actions, Richwales shows himself adequate to the task of replacing AGK and Risker on ArbCom.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
You run into assholes all day; you're the asshole.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:38 pm

Zoloft wrote:Who among us shall run? Perhaps an entire WPO slate?

I suspect Alison and I just might get seats if we sought them, but frankly it seems to me to be one of the crappiest volunteer positions one could have.
This is not a signature.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:49 pm

SB_Johnny wrote:I suspect Alison and I just might get seats if we sought them, but frankly it seems to me to be one of the crappiest volunteer positions one could have.
If you took it seriously, and actually tried to "do the job" as if it were important, then yes. However, if you were just there to shout down manipulators and crazy people, to interfere with "process" (hah!), and to continuously and loudly protest the mad dysfunction of Wikipedia, then it might be worth pursuing. Maybe, depending how angry you are.

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:26 am

If the ArbCom members want the position to create less busy-work for them and interfere less with their personal lives, then they really need to use the position to advocate for some fundamental changes in how Wikipedia is governed and administered.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:06 am

Cla68 wrote:If the ArbCom members want the position to create less busy-work for them and interfere less with their personal lives, then they really need to use the position to advocate for some fundamental changes in how Wikipedia is governed and administered.
Fundamental changes in how Wikipedia works... are its only hope. The people who read it and who pour their lives into building and maintaining it don't know this. It can all slide away so quickly.

Friendster. MySpace. Geocities. Limewire. Altavista. Dead, dead, dead.

Gawker, Digg, Slashdot, just treading water.

Wikipedia, you're wobbly in the knees.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:31 am

The list of Arb Commers I trust is short:

New York Brad (clone him), Worm That Turns (giving him the benefit of the doubt), and Elen of the Roads.

The institution is diseased, who gets elected matters little unless they intentionally try to remake the thing.

One word: O P E N N E S S.

RfB
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:33 am

Zoloft wrote:
Cla68 wrote:If the ArbCom members want the position to create less busy-work for them and interfere less with their personal lives, then they really need to use the position to advocate for some fundamental changes in how Wikipedia is governed and administered.
Fundamental changes in how Wikipedia works... are its only hope. The people who read it and who pour their lives into building and maintaining it don't know this. It can all slide away so quickly.

Friendster. MySpace. Geocities. Limewire. Altavista. Dead, dead, dead.

Gawker, Digg, Slashdot, just treading water.

Wikipedia, you're wobbly in the knees.
I like you, Zoloft.

Buttering up The Boss, I know.

RfB
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

Alison
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Alison
Wikipedia Review Member: Alison
Actual Name: Alison Cassidy

Unread post by Alison » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:14 am

SB_Johnny wrote: I suspect Alison and I just might get seats if we sought them, but frankly it seems to me to be one of the crappiest volunteer positions one could have.
No thanks. I have absolutely no fight left in me now. Besides, I have a large number of enemies there - it's inevitable - and am tainted with the Stain of Wikipedocracy!
-- Allie

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:44 am

Randy from Boise wrote:The list of Arb Commers I trust is short:

New York Brad (clone him), Worm That Turns (giving him the benefit of the doubt), and Elen of the Roads.

The institution is diseased, who gets elected matters little unless they intentionally try to remake the thing.

RfB
Worm That Turns is a friend of Demiurge1000 and as and old proverb says: "Tell me who's your friend and I'll tell you who you are."
Elen of the Roads did lie, when she was asked about leaking the email. If at least she leaked that email and lied about that to help or to protect somebody, I would have understood, but the only person she wanted to help and to protect was herself.
The openness does not exist in the arbcom. It proceeds as a secret inquisition tribunal did two thousands years ago.
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:13 am

neved wrote:

RfB
Worm That Turns is a friend of Demiurge1000 and as and old proverb says: "Tell me who's your friend and I'll tell you who you are."
Elen of the Roads did lie, when she was asked about leaking the email. If at least she leaked that email and lied about that to help or to protect somebody, I would have understood, but the only person she wanted to help and to protect was herself.
The openness does not exist in the arbcom. It proceeds as a secret inquisition tribunal did two thousands years ago.
WTT waited two years to allege that my "preening and grooming" remark about his frenetic organizing of dipshits (in RfA Deform and his adoption school) was a coded allegation of pedophilia. What kind of "honest" man would do that?
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:22 am

Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:54 pm

Guidebook for the 2013 Arbcom candidates - be like these guys: Set our expectations low.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

neved
Gregarious

Unread post by neved » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:33 pm

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:
neved wrote:

RfB
WTT waited two years to allege that my "preening and grooming" remark about his frenetic organizing of dipshits (in RfA Deform and his adoption school) was a coded allegation of pedophilia. What kind of "honest" man would do that?
Also I have some good reasons to believe that sometimes Worm That Turns shares some info from emails concerning arbitration with his friend demiurge1000, and listens to demiurge1000 advises, and demiurge1000 is of course as dirty as it gets in each and every mean

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:35 pm

I wrote the following guide to the candidates:
Voting guide: Arbitration Election 2013

The problem
ArbCom attracts administrators who wish to spend their free hours reading lists of diffs from conflicts, with each side presenting only diffs painting their opponent in a bad light, but who find ANI discussions too short(!).

Thus, past elections have lacked qualified candidates and have offered too many unsuitable candidates.

Recruiting candidates
  • ArbCom needs encyclopediasts like Casliber (talk · contribs) and Charles Matthews (talk · contribs) and Iridescent (talk · contribs), who have previously served with honor and distinction. I would encourage them and SandyGeorgia (talk · contribs), Nikkimaria (talk · contribs), Drmies (talk · contribs), Reaper Eternal (talk · contribs), RegentsPark (talk · contribs), Rjensen (talk · contribs), EdJohnston (talk · contribs), Leaky caldron (talk · contribs), Black Kite [forgotten in original guide, but added here by KW], and Carrite (talk · contribs) to consider running this year.

As respected community leaders, TParis (talk · contribs), Elen of the Roads (talk · contribs), Floquenbeam (talk · contribs), NE Ent (talk · contribs), Boing! said Zebedee (talk · contribs), Nick (talk · contribs), John (talk · contribs), and 28bytes (talk · contribs) should consider running.

Administrators Fram (talk · contribs), Bbb23 (talk · contribs), and Bwilkins (talk · contribs) also have backbone. I attribute past disagreements (e.g., blocks) with Fram and Bwilkins partially to my errors and partially to their orneriness---an unfortunate side-effect of blocking scores of nutjobs daily.
    (The division into community leaders and writers relies on my faulty memory and snap judgment, and is immaterial to the recruitment process anyhow.)
Departing arbitrators
From this year's ArbCom, Hersfold has already resigned. Risker, AGK, SilkTork, and Kirill Lokshin have accounced that they shall not seek re-election---although AGK has again reversed himself.
Issues
This year, I shall look closely at the candidates' records regarding these contentious issues:
Quality-review processes: Featured & Good Articles, & DYKs
For several quality-review projects, the leaders have been attacked for years by sock-puppets of banned users and, alas, often seem to be criticized en masse by a network of administrators (at least some of whom have left a record of sexist remarks).
Justice and WP:Boomerang
Many writers who are not administrators have contempt for the Administrator Noticeboard and have lost confidence with the Arbitration Committee, simply because of the failure of administrators evenly to apply Wikipedia's civility and no-personal-attacks policy. The essay Boomerang, which reminds editors not to file complaints unless they want to be held accountable for their own behavior, is not even a guideline (and certainly not a policy).

In last year's Civility Enforcement case, ArbCom announced that it would hear a wide-ranging case on Civility Enforcement, but instead chose to sanction only Malleus Faturoum, even though there was plenty of evidence against others, particularly those attacking Malleus repeatedly. Nobody was sanctioned for conducting campaigns of abuse.

Besides wasting the community's time and ignoring the evidence submitted about uneven enforcement, this action had the appearance that the proceedings were a bread-and-circuses show, while the real decision was made by the committee in private. Indeed, former arbitrator Iridescent correctly predicted the final votes just by knowing the members of the committee!
  • Administrators and arbitrators should not be so partisan that they ignore evidence of abuse by their friends and allies and solely target their opponents. Administrators and arbitrators should not be so intellectually lazy or partisan that they do not investigate the context of diffs at ANI or ArbCom, and sanction all guilty parties, particularly abusive administrators.
Similar partisanship ocurred in the case banning me.
The community set-up Arbcom as the last step in dispute-resolution, and the community-approved policy requires that all parties to a dispute be discussed. There had been no RfC on Ironholds and myself, so as some arbs noted in considering the case, arbcom did not have a remit to have a case.

When the case began, Arbcom arbitrarily prevented me from adding users Worm That Turned and Demiurge1000 as parties and barred me from discussing their behavior, while simultaneously welcoming them to continue their two-year long campaign against me. I was banned from participating from the case after noting Demiurge1000's block for dishonesty and for adding diffs that were later cited by arbcom when it desysopped and nearly banned Ironholds.

Other editors have noted that the diffs of incivility and personal attacks by me were made in response to prior incivility and personal attacks by administrators, to which arbcom acquiesced. In particular, Salvio guiliano thrice let stand personal attacks against me by user:Kurtis, each of which were more severe than the "honesty or intelligent" remark cited by Arbcom in its decision to ban me. Arbcom needs to stop practicing "uneven enforcement of civility".

ArbCom needs to prioritize justice.
Child protection
ArbCom members have complained to WMF director Sue Gardner that they are unable to enforce the existing child protection policy, which has roughly 20 cases yearly.

In banning me, the current ArbCom ruled, in effect, that adult editors are free to contact vulnerable minors off-Wiki, despite parental objections, because such contacts are not criminal. (Only criminal actions are prohibited by the weak child-protection policy.) At the same time, my discussing such contacts was declared to be a tacit accusation of pedophilia. This year's ArbCom had no warrant chillingly to prohibit discussion of behavior that is compatible with the child-protection policy (but which is prohibited by responsible organizations, like the Girl Scouts).
Avoidance of cowardice
All committees suffer from group polarization, and one hopes that members of this year's Arbcom should recognize several horrible decisions. To reduce the frequency and severity of horrible decisions, committees need persons with backbone and preferably confidence. For example, this year, Worm That Turned protested against the rest of Arbcom violating the privacy of Eric Corbett and he also complained to Gardner about child protection.

Last year, I mistakenly endorsed Kww because of his independence. It is possible that this year's guide may again mistake independence for courage.
Recommendations
Support
Ks0stm
Ks0stm has a year more experience of doing good work as an administrator, mostly quietly but sometimes with good will and humor contributing to dispute resolution. The committee has a lot of work to do, and this is an administrator who is reliable and will not waste time. I trust that all other guides shall join me in supporting Ks0stm.

RegentsPark
RegentsPark writes articles, mediates content disputes, and is one of the most helpful persons with resolving issues at ANI. RegentsPark has been invaluable in helping to maintain civility and productive editing on articles related to Pakistan and India, one of the toughest proving grounds for administrators.
In her 2012 guide, SandyGeorgia has a good discussion of RegentsPark's virtues on 2012 Wikipedia controversies.
Oppose
Richwales
Richwales (T-C-L) is running on two pillars, civility and NPOV. Raising NPOV, which is supported by all, is a distraction, just like in 2012. My 2012 guide explains why his candidacy was inadequate, respectfully. This year I shall be blunter, because Richwales's statement fails to show any greater self-awareness or acknowledgment of the concerns of those who opposed him: His statement ignores
  • the difficulty of protecting quality articles from tendentious editors, often illiterates and ideologues.
    this year's Arbcom, particularly its acquiesence to
    • private contacts amongst individual adults and individual children, despite parental objections
      misogynistic statements, often deployed to put women in their place on Wikimedia.
      misuse of IRC by Wikipedia administrators and WMF staff.
If elected, Richwales could push a schoolboy understanding of civility (focusing on naughty words, rather than on overall behavior) ahead of the other pillars, which concern the encyclopedic aspects of Wikipedia.

AGK
AGK (T-C-L) / Anthony's early RfAs had many concerns about "hat collecting" (forging path to power through dispute resolution projects and positions on other projects, rather than writing articles) and inconsistencies. Last election, he failed to declare his alternative accounts, but Anthony was able to remain eligible after a moderator took the initiative to declare some on his behalf. After the last election, he previously announced (as Rschen has confirmed) that he would not run again; recently he reversed himself and declared that he was about to run. There are just too much variation in his performance---most notably his off-hand comment that Eric Corbett (talk · contribs) was "a net negative to the project", which (at best) served no good purpose and which wasted a lot of time.

My banning case had a similar pattern of wild inconsistency.
  • First, Anthony declared himself to have a conflict because of his simultaneous role as an administrator of Wikipedia's IRC channel.
    Second, he said he would participate because the case would consider the administrator IRC channel, not the general one.
    Third, Anthony participated in the case, which did cite (non-administrative) IRC chats by Ironholds, precisely his previously declared conflict of interest.

Granted that individually any of these three positions could be considered as plausible, rapidly bouncing from position to position without explanation wasted a lot of time and looked (at best) thoughtless.

It seems to me that AGK would better serve the project by writing some articles and helping to resolve disputes without using his tools, i.e. emulating e.g. Drmies.

(Like Richwales, AGK is a much better candidate than some of those running in the last elections, e.g., YOLO SWAG, KWW, Beeblebrox, Panyd, etc.)
Other guides
The best writers write the best guides.

Carefully read the guides of SandyGeorgia (talk · contribs), Ealdgyth (talk · contribs), Elonka (talk · contribs), Reaper Eternal (talk · contribs), etc.

Ignore any analysis that focuses on candidates' responses to the standard questions (ugh!) and so slights candidates' years of behavior (both action, with its risks of error, and cowardly failures to act). On the other hand, read Rschen's comments, which are much better than his bean counting: For example, in 2012 Rschen was the first writer to highlight the problems with Featured-Article review.
Today Richwales (T-C-L)has repeatedly asked that it be removed, acknowledging his conflict of interest. Administrator Sjakkalle (T-C-L) blocked my talk page access, while there was a discussion at the Arbitration Committee---talk about "the barbaric pride of a ... Norwegian stateliness"!
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:02 pm

Risker (T-C-L) reaffirming her rectal cranial inversion on the ARBCOM clarification page.

*sigh*

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:53 pm

AGK (T-C-L)had a long discussion of my talk page, as did Bbb23 (T-C-L) et alia here.

Funny that AGK pretends that my editing my talk page is news.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:18 am

Vigilant wrote:Risker (T-C-L) reaffirming her rectal cranial inversion on the ARBCOM clarification page.

*sigh*
User should be reblocked without talk page access, the page locked to prevent others from taunting him, and he can make an appeal via email to the Arbitration Committee at the applicable time. While there's latitude for appeals, anything else is unacceptable and is contrary to the user's ban. Risker (talk) 8:14 pm, Yesterday (UTC+1)

Equazcion, really? What would you normally do with the talk page of a banned user who's had to have his talk page privileges revoked? Don't you normally remove whatever they've been writing that doesn't relate specifically to an unblock request? Why would this case be any different? If you're only thinking of removing the candidate guide, take that question to the Election Commission. Risker (talk) 11:20 pm, Yesterday (UTC+1)
This is just more dishonesty from Risker, who is more apt to be ridiculed than I am to be taunted. I have no more concern about taunts than I do about Risker's stupidity.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

SB_Johnny
Habitué

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:22 am

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:This is just more dishonesty from Risker, who is more apt to be ridiculed than I am to be taunted. I have no more concern about taunts than I do about Risker's stupidity.
Just out of curiosity (because I couldn't care less), are you really a 4chan troll?
This is not a signature.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:26 am

SB_Johnny wrote:
Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:This is just more dishonesty from Risker, who is more apt to be ridiculed than I am to be taunted. I have no more concern about taunts than I do about Risker's stupidity.
Just out of curiosity (because I couldn't care less), are you really a 4chan troll?
I've given up trying to make sense of Pedro (T-C-L), who makes Anthony/AGK look like a stable person. He has been blathering about a theory that I am somebody from usenet for years, without ever explaining himself.

Ditto with the earnest hyperactive aphasiac John Cline (T-C-L) (formerly My76Strat (T-C-L)).
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

SB_Johnny
Habitué

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:38 am

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote:
I've given up trying to make sense of Pedro (T-C-L), who makes Anthony/AGK look like a stable person. He has been blathering about a theory that I am somebody from usenet for years, without ever explaining himself.

Ditto with the earnest hyperactive aphasiac John Cline (T-C-L) (formerly My76Strat (T-C-L)).
So no, you're not a 4chan person?

Just asking for clarification because clearly "the people" want to know.
This is not a signature.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:59 am

SB_Johnny wrote:
Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote:

So no, you're not a 4chan person?

Just asking for clarification because clearly "the people" want to know.
Wikipedia does have an article about 4chan (T-H-L), which started as a anime--manga forum. I'd rather read about dung beetles using the Milky Way for navigation.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:06 am

The mighty Floquenbeam (T-C-L) is running for Arbcom.

Floquenbeam's announcement is even better news than Richwales (T-C-L) making himself look like Risker (T-C-L), again and again and again today.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:54 am

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote:
neved wrote:

RfB
To be fair: he had a point.

tim

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:57 am

KW, figure it out: this is wonderful press for your guide, which should be hosted HERE as a thread.

It will be about 15 times as effective, for which you may say to your foes on-wiki for their tactical blunder, "Thank you very much!"

RfB

P.S. Hope your daughter is feeling better.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:04 am

Randy from Boise wrote:

KW, figure it out: this is wonderful press for your guide, which should be hosted HERE as a thread.

It will be about 15 times as effective, for which you may say to your foes on-wiki for their tactical blunder, "Thank you very much!"

RfB

P.S. Hope your daughter is feeling better.
Kiefer:
Just make a new topic under Governance here, and post it. If it's entertaining enough, could be a blog post.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:10 am

When did this thread become a Kiefer-not-happy thread?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:14 am

Kiefer.Wolfowitz's
Meatpuppets' Guide to the
2013 ArbCom Elections
with naked pictures!

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:17 am

Randy from Boise wrote:

with naked pictures!

I ain't seein' no nekkid pitchers.

(Could always post some My Little Pony porn if you like.)

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:09 am

Randy from Boise wrote:

Kiefer.Wolfowitz's
2013 ArbCom Elections
with naked pictures!

Dude.

No.

We don't want any naked pictures of wikipedians.
Have you seen these people?!
Think of the children.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:37 am

Kiefer should post his election guide here and then some non-ebil editor over there can just link to it on their election guide nice and prominent-like, with their guide being cool to add to the list of others. People will get all "OMIGOD TEH PROXIES!11!!" for a few moments and then give up because it is a losing battle.

On a side note, Risker basically just told WereSpielChequers to go fuck himself. Not running for re-election has its advantages.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:24 am

Vigilant wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:

Kiefer.Wolfowitz's
2013 ArbCom Elections
with naked pictures!

Dude.

No.

We don't want any naked pictures of wikipedians.
Have you seen these people?!
Think of the children.
Most of them are children.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton