Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
Bojan
Contributor
kołdry

Re: Neo-Nazipedia?

Unread post by Bojan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:41 am

Mancunium wrote:
Bojan wrote:
Mancunium wrote:Jimbo doesn't have time for this right now, and thinks it will blow over in a day or two.
And what is going to happen then?
I am a friend of Serbia and an enemy of fascism. I promise you that I will continue to follow this story.
Thanks. But I'm not doing this because I'm a Serb and leftist, and they are Croats. I'm against them because:
* they harass people of their own ethnicity and result is probably the worst Wikipedia ever with plain idiots and wignuts like Kubura and Željko as admins. That is why hr.wiki has screaming right-wing/Catholic bias
* Speedy Gonzales and Roberta are uncrowned king and queen. By using acolytes, they overrule decision of their ArbCom
* Kubura provoked Serbian and Bosnian users by putting template that says theri comments are not written in Croatian, while in the same he doesn't mind when collaborate with a Montenegrin POV pusher (who uses blogspot as reference, his articles are pro-Montenegrin-antiSerbian propaganda)
* Kubura, Željko, that bitch Roberta (she deserves that - whenever CW needs help, she will go to medias and recruit idiots) do not have any technical skills. Kubura thought MediaWiki softer is using Croatian decimal coma instead of decimal point.
* They don't know or just don't want to know fair-use policy, they upload copyrighted image of living people and place (e.g. fair use (with permission (!); one should wonder what kind permission is that, while there is free image on Commons
* they ban opponents for no or silly reason (compare block logs of hr.wiki and larger sr.wiki; as of September 16th, date of 50th entry @hr is September 10th, @sr it is August 17 (it would go more in past, if we haven't a troll who creates at mass accounts that bears names of MediaWiki messages
* etc

I invested much free time in making Serbian wiki better and open to editors from all ex-Yugoslav countries, but hr.wiki sysops did totally opposite and that pisses me off

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:45 am

EricBarbour wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:This was an interesting contribution on Jimbo's talk. Edit summary: "BLP disaster: blatant lies in fully protected hr:Željko Jovanović article"
Not long after the statement of Minister Jovanović, his biography on Croatian Wikipedia is "expanded" and now contains obvious lies and other content that violates WP:NOR (interpretation of primary sources and WP:SYNTH), WP:NPOV, WP:V and especially WP:BLP. After a brief edit war, when one user tried to remove these lies, administrator hr:User:Zeljko fully protected the page on his preferred version.

I will mention only the most obvious lies that can now be read on the page:
Although Željko Jovanović has the academic title of docent, he does not possess scientist identification number of the Ministry of Science like other docents, and without which obtaining of academic title should not be possible.
This is obvious lie and slander. It is also abuse of the primary sources, becouse reference for this claim is this database. But if you enter minister's name, surname and birthdate in this database, you will get following result: Matični broj za traženog znanstvenika: 339670 (Identification number for the requested scientist: 339670).
At the site of the Croatian scientific bibliography, there are no listed publications whose author or co-author is the person with this name or surname.
This is also obvious lie, by searching the Croatian scientific bibliography I found at least 5 works whose author or co-author is Minister Jovanović.

The rest of the added content is similar or even worse. The page is fully protected for one week.--В и к и T 20:13, 14 September 2013 (UTC)
That post on Jimbo's talkpage has now been oversighted. The capture above is the only remaining trace of it.

Someone is now chopping large chunks out of the Croatian WP discussion, and some other discussion, on his talkpage.
The post is still there on the page; just the diff making that edit is gone.

Wer900
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Wer900

Unread post by Wer900 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:34 am

Meanwhile, Reaper Eternal is hiding some of the goings-on at Jimbotalk...
Obvious civility robots are obvious

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Requests_for_comment/Croatian_Wikipedia_-_User_Suradnik13_-_blocking_and_deleting (T-H-L)
The following request for comments is closed. The request was eventually archived as inactive.

I wouldn't try to plead here if I haven't tried first to contact administrators from Croatian Wikipedia, but after contacting two administrators there, asking them to just examine the talk page where blocking and deletion happened, I got no response after several days from any of them. Eventually, I told them I realized that I was just unwelcome there because of my nationality, I still got no response at all. I have no one else to complain to. ... Please redirect me elsewhere if this is the wrong address. Thank you. --Дарко Максимовић 09:48, 2 December 2008 (UTC)
Requests_for_comment/Fascism_on_Croatian_Wikipedia (T-H-L)
Discussion of possible remedies

Block (on Meta!) every freaking retard who ever dare to mention ex-Yugoslav secret service, or communists, being involved in this or any other retarded conspiracy theory!!! --Ante Perkovic (talk) 18:16, 16 September 2013 (UTC)

A formal process to handle such situations

I've drafted a project restarting process, to deal with abusive "admin cabals" on Wikimedia projects in a systematic way, and want to invite everybody to give comments on its talk page - it seems like a better idea to first make a process, then apply it to this particular case, than the other way round. It's pretty much what I've already proposed above, and explicitly not exclusive to hrwiki. darkweasel94 (talk) 15:38, 17 September 2013 (UTC)

A good idea. Does anyone know: is there at least partial precedent for this?
Also, note that this is something one could use Global ArbCom for, but currently there isn't any. GregorB (talk) 17:08, 17 September 2013 (UTC)
Project_restarting_process (T-H-L)
This is a proposed process to deal with project editions that have severe problems in their government. Currently there is no way to deal e.g. with projects where administrators completely ignore the community's consensus, and/or arbitrarily block people who disagree with them, even though such cases can happen on smaller projects with few safeguards.

It provides a way to basically totally restart a project from scratch, and let a new community form around it, while retaining its existing content. This is not intended to be a routine process that happens often - it is intended to be a last measure when all else fails.
Global_arbitration_committee (T-H-L)
This is a concept draft, and a global arbitration committee has not been implemented in any capacity. No requests will be accepted.
Who owns Croatian Wikipedia?
Croatian_Wikipedia (T-H-L)
Web address hr.wikipedia.org
Commercial? No
Type of site Internet encyclopedia project
Registration Optional
Available language(s) Croatian
Owner Wikimedia Foundation
Launched February 16, 2003
Is the Wikimedia Foundation guilty of hate speech?
Far_right_in_Croatia (T-H-L)
Parties like the Croatian Party of Rights which are most commonly associated with Ustašism generally aren't able to attract support from more than a few percent of the population (HSP coalition won 6.4% of the national popular vote in the 2003 election and 3.5% in the 2007 election). In recent times, the HSP's image of "pro-Ustaša" was repetitively shunned by its leaders in an attempt to sway more votes.[8]

On July 11, 2003, the Ivica Račan coalition government passed amendments to the penal code which outlawed hate speech, in a new section titled Praising fascist, Nazi and other totalitarian states and ideologies or promotion of racism and xenophobia.[9] The law is not perfectly applied, evidenced by the examples of regular public display of Ustasha memorabilia by the group "Hrvatski domobran" from Zadar that only recently started to get sanctioned by the police.[10][11][12]
former Living Person

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:35 pm

Robert Hart, Gay Star News, 17 September 2013: Trolls hijack Wikipedia to turn articles against gays
A group of homophobic editors have overrun Wikipedia in Croatia in a clear breach of the sites 'neutral point of view' policy.

Many Croatian language articles have been altered to portray LGBT people and other minority groups in a negative light, and articles about history have been re-written in a biased way. [...]

The Croatian Minister of Science, Education and Sports, has gone so far as to warn students off the Croatian language version of the website, urging them to use the English language version instead.

‘The idea of openness and relevance as a knowledge source that Wikipedia could and should represent has been completely discredited,’ he said in an interview with Novilist. [...]

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: Croat: Admins do not Behave in Civil Manner, Vengeful Bl

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:00 pm

I'd say that the Croat Wikipedia is not radically different from many another WMF site. Some difference in degree, maybe, but evidently not in kind.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Mancunium wrote:Requests_for_comment/Croatian_Wikipedia_-_User_Suradnik13_-_blocking_and_deleting (T-H-L)
The following request for comments is closed. The request was eventually archived as inactive.
Looks like it was completely deleted.
Also completely deleted.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:37 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
Mancunium wrote:Requests_for_comment/Croatian_Wikipedia_-_User_Suradnik13_-_blocking_and_deleting (T-H-L)
Also completely deleted.
I posted my last comment less than two hours ago, and all the pages I linked to existed then. I also made a point of checking all the links about an hour ago: no problem.

Some people have suggested that some of my posts linking to Wikimedia pages are "walls of text". That's because I know very well that Wikipedia goons read WO, and then rush to destroy the evidence posted here.

Google Search no longer returns results for "requests for comments croatian wikipedia". However, "Requests for comments/Fascism on Croatian Wikipedia" is now concealed here: link

The "wparticle" markup doesn't work for that particular RfC page.
former Living Person

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:04 pm

Mancunium wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
Also completely deleted.
I posted my last comment less than two hours ago, and all the pages I linked to existed then. I also made a point of checking all the links about an hour ago: no problem.

Some people have suggested that some of my posts linking to Wikimedia pages are "walls of text". That's because I know very well that Wikipedia goons read WO, and then rush to destroy the evidence posted here.

Google Search no longer returns results for "requests for comments croatian wikipedia". However, "Requests for comments/Fascism on Croatian Wikipedia" is now concealed here: link

The "wparticle" markup doesn't work for that particular RfC page.
They're on meta. wparticle is only for enwiki.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests ... d_deleting

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:32 pm

Thanks, tarantino.

Any idea why the links I originally posted worked for me three hours ago?
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Re: Croatian Wikipedia Neo-Nazipedia?

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 pm

MZOŠ bi ignorirao wikipediju???
connect portal, 15 September 1013 link
Google Translate, Croatian to English: link

See the comments thread. WP editor Timbouctou (T-C-L) wrote in English:
Although I don’t usually edit or read CW, I tried changing some of the articles that had been mentioned in media reports in the past couple of days, since nobody over there is really doing anything about it, apart from a) talking a lot about how those who criticise should do the editing and b) expanding on elaborate leftist conspiracy theories (their village pump looks like a bonafide cross between a far-right forum and a mental institution’s notice board). The state of the project is so abysmal it is almost a parody of what Wikipedia should be. Although some of the most criticised articles have been half-heartedly fixed, it is still a few hundred lawsuits waiting to happen – for example, the bio on Education Minister Jovanović contains blatant distortions and is heavily negative-slanted. (It is also fully protected and nobody but admins can edit it. Apparently they see it as some sort of a revenge for his statements on Wikipedia.)

Today I edited the article on The Holocaust in the Independent State of Croatia (English version of the article). The bottom section delves into a topic marginally connected with the topic of the article, about the Great Serbia ideology of the 1990s and its narrative of WW2 persecution of Jews. It only contained a single reference, masonicinfo.com, a site with pictures of Serbian WW2 stamps (yes, stamps) to basically illustrate that indeed Serbs persecuted Jews as well. Apart from being an obvious WP:COAT, the “source” used for the entire paragraph was clearly inappropriate so I removed the paragraph, explaining my edit in the summary. This led to an edit war with user Markus_cg1, which later led to a note from admin SpeedyGonsales on my talk page, basically explaining how “although this seems unrelated at first sight, and although the source is unofficial, the information presened there is correct, and a picture is worth a thousand words” (yes, that’s a true quote from a long-time Wikipedia admin, talking about the usage of a website about stamps in an article about the Holocaust in Country X – where stamps are used basically to prove that country Y also killed Jews). Crazy, I know. Long story short, I commented on this at the village pump, where I ended up being called a “provocateur, a denier of war crimes and an anti-semite” by Markus_cg1 (literally just for saying that sites about postage stamps were not reliable sources), who called for “administrators to take measures”. After apparently none of them did, probably the craziest of them all at CW, User:Mir Haven, whose eloquence you are already familiar with, posted a very nasty comment about me, telling me directly I was a “justifier of Yugo-unitarism, a snitch on English Wikipedia, not somebody who spreads knowledge but carefully selected half-truths, and a fan of Greater Serbia.”.

Now I am not bringing this episode up because it is a unique event – I am bringing it up because it is not. This type of “discussion” is common at their village pump, and there’s no reason not to believe this is the level of discussion in talk pages and all other places as well. Chauvinist remarks are the norm, as are the floods of insults directed towards the apparently non-patriotic government, the education minister, the communists, the press and whatnot. Even users who shyly admit they would like to discuss issues with the project – openly admitting they were afraid to do so before the scandal broke out – (like for example User:Dean72) can only expect to be harassed and belittled (in this particular instance by Mir Haven, but other regular editors and admins normally join on the belittling). You get editors responding to recent media criticism by talking about how the Serbian Wikipedia is way worse, you get admin User:Kubura who talks about how there’s nothing wrong with saying life for Serbs had improved in WW2 Croatia (which is one of the statements from Wiki which the newspapers criticized as the most blatant forgery), you get anons who come out of the woodwork to express support for the project using Nazi-style salutes. A Bosniak-language Wiki editor even left a message for interested folks to join his project, to which Mir Haven replied with references to Muslim war crimes. Yes, that’s the kind of atmosphere we are talking about here. Just ask any Croatian-speaking editor to take a look at the page without vomiting. I am being perfectly serious – it is beyond horrible. And all that time (and I’m talking about the last few days), not a single administrator reacted to this madhouse in any way. But hey maybe there’s a Wiki policy somewhere saying village pumps are supposed to be anarchy. I don’t frequent en.wiki pump so I don’t really know.

And then there’s the issue of actual editing. CW does not have any rules on weasel words, coat racks, synth. It is completely normal for any article, including BLP’s, to have randomly inserted nationalist remarks or rants. Sourcing of articles is abysmal. Inline citations do not exist at all. Websites and books are accepted only if their content fits the preconceived idea what an article should say. The much talked about issue of the article on anti-fascism had contained a long paragraph in the lede section basically describing it as an abomination, entirely sourced to an essay from an anonymous author published on an obscure right-wing website. The basic process of editing boils down to editors (who have been judged patriotic enough) writing whatever feels “correct” (in both the factual and ideological sense) and then leave the referencing and sourcing for later (if ever). Serbian Wiki editors joke that that Croatian Wiki is not even capable of producing a baklava recipe without mentioning the Serbs and the Serb aggression of the 1990s. And I am afraid they are right. And with all that going on, the general consensus of both admins and seasoned editors at the village pump seems to be somewhere along the lines of “What problem? There is no problem. We are doing a great job, but for some magical reason everybody is against us.” As a group, it seems a weird mini subculture developed there over the years, distinguished by – and I can’t stress this enough – extreme paranoia, virulent nationalism and a strong belief in various conspiracy theories. (I can provide diffs for every detail I mentioned if you want, but since Croatian-speaking people here on en.wiki already know the atmosphere of that place, I won’t bother). Editing CW is equivalent to muckraking, and there’s no doubt in my mind the changes made to some articles due to recent media pressure will be reverted back in less than a week (because nobody over there really realizes there’s anything wrong with them, and because they are all convinced the critics are all non-patriotic bastards who fail to appreciate that CW editors are doing this lovely work all for free).

In essence, Wikimedia should just torch the place. CW is no longer useful to anyone, it has made a name for itself as a complete piece of garbage and a refuge to some of the most pretty fucking deranged trolls on the internet. And each day that goes by with it online is a few dozen accidents/lawsuits/newspaper front pages just waiting to happen. Maybe Wikimedia should reflect on that. So yeah, I guess I’m a snitch on the English Wikipedia.
The_Holocaust_in_the_Independent_State_of_Croatia (T-H-L)

Some Were Neighbors link
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Polemike oko budućnosti hr.wikipedije, njezine uređivačke politike i njezinih uređivača - suradnika i aministratora, ovih su dana dosegnule vrhunac
tportal.hr, 18 September 2013 link
Google Translate, Croatian to English link
Although the problem has existed for years, and I am the founder of the world's online encyclopedia Jimbo Wales realized that the situation has now become so serious that requires immediate and thorough solution to the so called. User talk Wikipedia under the heading ' English Wikipedia controversy 'into the debate with Croatian colleagues, administrators and users about the ills of our version.

[...]

One of the most prominent members of the initiative, the chemist Dr.. Paul Močilac, who also participated in the creation hr.wikipedije, believes that the problem can be solved elegantly permanent resignation of the responsible administrator.

'First of all must go SpeedyGonsales, Robert F, shotguns, Zeljko, Kingfisher, MaGa and damirux, and also some very right-wing mood associates because damage caused by far exceeds their contributions. A restart is only possible without them. Therefore I appeal to do it yourself - as soon as possible, the better, "said Dr. Močilac.

[...]

'First of all SpeedyGonsales has attitude' hr.wikipedija - that's me ', acting as what WikiMilošević. Obviously it comes to the classic tale of power and ego trip, just as here, an unexpected formation of virtual dictatorial states. He became psychologically dependent on a position that was created. Acts as a dictator and his subordinates who these days do the dirty work for him. Of course, there might be a lot of those who are ideologically bound hr.wikipediju; become their virtual black and white El Dorado, a world in which the ISC has not lost the war and the Holocaust did not happen, then the world is not the way it is rather than what they would like to be. It ruled Impassioned ultranacionalizam, national and religious myths, clericalism, chauvinism, racism, homophobia, conspiracy theories, hatred for the facts and the truth, censorship and harassment in which the truth is actually a conspiracy of those who hate all 'our' and 'our faith' a world where people are divided into 'us' and 'traitors' who is afraid of the rest of the world in which the belief is that the enemy is plotting how to destroy them. The world in which they are always right and never wrong.'
former Living Person

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:14 pm

Wer900 wrote:Meanwhile, Reaper Eternal is hiding some of the goings-on at Jimbotalk...
Just checked it - random hate speech from some weirdo, nothing to do with this issue.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:50 pm

Hex wrote:
Wer900 wrote:Meanwhile, Reaper Eternal is hiding some of the goings-on at Jimbotalk...
Just checked it - random hate speech from some weirdo, nothing to do with this issue.
Thanks. I thought it was something like that.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:15 pm

Hex wrote:
Random hate speech from a Croatian or Serbian weirdo? How about saving a few quotes, for posterity?

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:22 pm

Darko Čokor and associates have evidently been encouraged by the silence of the Wikimedia Foundation and of Jimmy Wales, and have dug in their heels.

Requests for comment/2013 issues on Croatian Wikipedia link
Developements on hr.wiki on 17/18 September

Several symptomatic things happened on hr.wiki yesterday and today. I feel that this RfC should be aware of those.

Removal of a userbox

User hr:Suradnik:Maria_Sieglinda_von_Nudeldorf created a userbox Suradnik:SO/NoFascistHrWiki. Such userbox exists on en.wiki (User:Miranche/NoFascistHrWikipedia) for a few days now, without any controversy. On hr.wiki it was deleted as soon as it was created, under pretence of "vandalism".

Two users (Maria_Sieglinda_von_Nudeldorf and Miranche) that trancluded the template were promptly blocked for 3 months. Let me repeat that: THREE MONTHS just for trancluding a template which exists on en.wiki.

This unprecedented move, and the fact that not a single administrator raised his voice against this move shows how deeply problematic hr.wiki is. Basic human right of freedom of opinion is nonexistent on hr.wiki. Any opinion which is not in line with official position of administrators is ruthlessly uprooted. Please compare how something that is totaly uncontroversial template on en.wiki is promptly deleted as vandalism on hr.wiki, and users of it blocked for 3 months

Blocking of users for discussing administrator behaviour

Community on hr.wiki has finally started to discuss its issues on hr.wiki village pump. There been some voices repeating arguments of dissent which have been raised in the past on hr.wiki (this is not a new issue, all of these arguments have been already mentioned in previous years). This is very sensitive moment for the project, but nonetheless SpeedyGonsales blocked Koryaksky for THREE MONTHS for simply asking a question which Speedy interpreted as being "agressive": [38]

(I ask english-speaking readers to take time and read translation of Koryaksky's comment here: [39] Now, that deserves a 3 month block in a time of very important discussions about the future of the project?)

Again, freedom of thought is simply nonexistent on hr.wiki. There is no way a community can heal itself if basic discussion is not permitted by the same people whose behaviour is being discussed.

Halting of proposed vote

User:Dean72 has summarised proposed remedies mentioned on this RfC and posted them on hr.wiki village pump with a call on the community to vote on them[40]. It is important to note that this was not an official vote, just a consultative one, to help with discussion and to give members of the community a chance to show what they think. Proposed vote was promptly attacked by users, administrators and bureaucrats of hr.wiki, and vote was halted. As previously stated, freedom of thought and freedom of speach are nonexistent of hr.wiki at this point (and have been for quite some time).

Rubberstamp voting

In answer to User:Dean72's proposed and then halted vote, administrators of hr.wiki have set up their own "vote"[41]. The vote is titled "Proposed solutions 2" (as opposed to Dean72's "Proposed solutions" vote), although the vote proposes only a single solution (note the plural in the title). Again, this is highly symptomatic for Croatian Wikipedia: dystopian doublespeak is the norm. In this proposed vote there are no "solutions" proposed, only a single "solution": nothing changes, bussines as usual. The "solution" proposes that a list of problematic articles be compiled. And that's all. All administrators retain their priviledges, no blocks are lifted, no administration practices are changed, no policies fighting systematic bias are introduced (no systematic bias is acknowledged!), no reconciliation proces is started. And, of course, no other options are presented before the community, just the "status quo" option.

This rubberstamp "vote" was, needless to say, promptly supported by several administrators, including bureaucrats.

Conclusion

Yesterday was a good example of what's wrong with hr.wikipedia:

removal of free speech (userboxes)
banning of users for stating their opinion
halting any attempt at free discussion, including consultative vote
administrator support of rubberstamp voting
absolutely no awareness of existing problems

Therefore, it is quite obvious that no reform of hr.wikipedia will be possible until current administrators retain their positions.

I apologize for being anonymous, but I have previous expirience with being harrassed IRL by bureaucrats of hr.wiki, and I would not like that to happen again.

--188.129.121.161 14:25, 18 September 2013 (UTC)
Obviously the Wikimedia Foundation, which owns Croatian Wikipedia, could lock it down until the Croatian police determine whether the site's operators violate Croatia's laws prohibiting hate speech and the glorification of fascism, Nazism, and genocide.

And Jimmy Wales is being offered one last chance to demonstrate exactly what he believes are the limitations to the "freedom of speech" he pontificates about.

Hear him boast about his power to enforce political neutrality, in his free encyclopedia that anyone can edit, here:
former Living Person

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:16 am

Mancunium wrote:<snip numerous brilliant rants>
Could you rephrase the core points of this as a blog post, please? :B'
This is not a signature.

Wer900
Gregarious

Unread post by Wer900 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:25 am

SB_Johnny wrote:
A blog post! A blog post!

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:32 am

Wer900 wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote:
A blog post! A blog post!
Hear hear.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:19 am

I can draft a blog post over the next two days. I am recuperating from surgery on my spine, and can't work steadily.
former Living Person

Wer900
Gregarious

Unread post by Wer900 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:05 am

Mancunium wrote:I can draft a blog post over the next two days. I am recuperating from surgery on my spine, and can't work steadily.
That should be fine. Thanks for restarting the flow of blog posts, anyway!

Best wishes for your speedy recovery.

Scott5114
Critic
Wikipedia User: Scott5114

Unread post by Scott5114 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:26 am

Mancunium wrote:Obviously the Wikimedia Foundation, which owns Croatian Wikipedia, could lock it down until the Croatian police determine whether the site's operators violate Croatia's laws prohibiting hate speech and the glorification of fascism, Nazism, and genocide.
Wikimedia servers and offices are in the US, so it is my understanding that generally the Foundation operates its sites under US and Florida law. Apparently some Wikipedias do operate under the laws of other countries, i.e. the Japanese Wikipedia follows Japanese law (so no fair use images). My guess is that this is a decision that was made by the community on jp.wikipedia. I don't know if Croatian Wikipedia has elected to follow Croatian law or the default US law.

Lukeno94
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Lukeno94

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:08 am

Have the Croatian Wikipedia actually decided to follow *any* law?

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:45 pm

Scott5114 wrote:
Mancunium wrote:Obviously the Wikimedia Foundation, which owns Croatian Wikipedia, could lock it down until the Croatian police determine whether the site's operators violate Croatia's laws prohibiting hate speech and the glorification of fascism, Nazism, and genocide.
Wikimedia servers and offices are in the US, so it is my understanding that generally the Foundation operates its sites under US and Florida law. Apparently some Wikipedias do operate under the laws of other countries, i.e. the Japanese Wikipedia follows Japanese law (so no fair use images). My guess is that this is a decision that was made by the community on jp.wikipedia. I don't know if Croatian Wikipedia has elected to follow Croatian law or the default US law.
The people who control Croatian Wikipedia are expected to follow Croatian law. They are Croatian citizens and residents of Croatia, and have felt free to identify themselves publicly. They may believe that the Wikimedia Foundation will protect them from prosecution, but there is ample evidence for the Croatian police to charge those people. Croatia became a member of the European Union on 1 July 2013, and must now meet European standards, and is subject to pressure from the other EU members.

For instance, this English Wikipedia article is objectively true: Ustaša (T-H-L)
The Ustaša – Croatian Revolutionary Movement (Croatian: Ustaša – Hrvatski revolucionarni pokret) was a Croatian fascist[3] and terrorist organization which was active before and during World War II. Its members, Ustaše (pronounced [ûstaʃe], also anglicised Ustashe, Ustashas or Ustashi) were responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of citizens of Yugoslavia, particularly Serbs.[4][5][6] The ideology of the movement was a blend of Fascism[2] and ultraconservatism. Ustaše supported the creation of a Greater Croatia that would span to the River Drina and to the border of Belgrade.[7] The movement emphasized the need for a racially "pure" Croatia and promoted persecution and genocide against Serbs, Jews[8] and Romani people.[9
This is the Google-translated Croatian Wikipedia article: link
Ustasha]- Croatian revolutionary organization was Croatian nationalist fascist [1] organization. Members of the organization called the Ustasha, by old Croatian word for rebels, insurgents, guerrillas. Today the word is used exclusively [2] as a name for the members of CURO, organized holders Ustasha government structures in the NDH and members Ustasha army . Ustasha organization was founded on the 7th January 1929 in Italy by Ante Pavelic . [3] Ustasha movement was created as a radical nationalist and chauvinist response to dissatisfaction with the Croatian position in Yugoslavia . Between 1929 and 1941 the movement acted as a terrorist organization with the aim of creating an independent Croatian state in which a larger area, which would include the whole state. They worked mostly in exile - Italy and Hungary, where they had their training camps
The Croatian article has the following sections:
Content

1 History
1.1 Creation of Croatian Home Guard
1.2 CURO and the assassination of King Alexander
1.3 Emigration
1.4 NDH
1.5 Ustasha movement after the second World War I
2 Ideology
3 The term "Ustasha" today
4 Literature
5 Sources
6 External links
6.1 Other Projects
The Croatian WP article states: "Known attacks: The murder of Alexander I". The English WP article has the following sections:
Contents

1 Name
2 Ideology
2.1 Ideological roots
2.2 Political programme and main agendas
3 History
3.1 Before World War II
3.2 World War II
3.3 Ustaše Militia
3.4 After the war
4 Ethnic and religious persecution
4.1 Concentration camps
5 Connections with the Catholic Church
6 Structure
7 Symbols
8 Modern usage of term "Ustaša"
9 See also
10 References
11 External links
The Croatian Wikipedia has no article on Concentration_camps_in_the_Independent_State_of_Croatia (T-H-L)

English Wikipedia: Jasenovac_concentration_camp (T-H-L)
Jasenovac concentration camp (Croatian, Serbian: Logor Jasenovac; Serbian Cyrillic: Логор Јасеновац; Yiddish: יאסענאוואץ; Hebrew: יסנובץ‎, sometimes spelled "Yasenovatz") was an extermination camp established in the Independent State of Croatia (NDH) during World War II. It was the only extermination camp that was not operated by the Germans,[3] and was among the largest camps in Europe.[4]

The camp was established by the governing Ustaše regime in August 1941 in marshland at the confluence of the Sava and Una rivers near the village of Jasenovac, and was dismantled in April 1945. It was "notorious for its barbaric practices and the large number of victims".[5] In Jasenovac, the majority of victims were ethnic Serbs, whom the Ustaše wanted to remove from the NDH, along with the Jews and Roma peoples.[6]

Jasenovac was a complex of five subcamps[7] spread over 210 km2 (81 sq mi) on both banks of the Sava and Una rivers. The largest camp was the "Brickworks" camp at Jasenovac, about 100 km (62 mi) southeast of Zagreb. The overall complex included the Stara Gradiška sub-camp, the killing grounds across the Sava river at Donja Gradina, five work farms, and the Uštica Roma camp.[1]
Google-translated Croatian Wikipedia: link
Concentration camps Jasenovac was the largest detention camp and death camp [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] in the Independent State of Croatia . Concentration camps were established as places of detention, forced labor and murder of large numbers: Serbs , Jews , Roma and Croats (Ustasha regime opponents). Sabrina camps were created as a result of policies of racial and ethnic exclusion in the Independent State of Croatia by the 10th travnja 1941st , under the auspices of the direct influence of Nazi Germany , declared Ustasha homeland organizations (the same day as the German army marched in Zagreb ).
former Living Person

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:18 pm

Scott5114 wrote:Wikimedia servers and offices are in the US, so it is my understanding that generally the Foundation operates its sites under US and Florida law. Apparently some Wikipedias do operate under the laws of other countries, i.e. the Japanese Wikipedia follows Japanese law (so no fair use images). My guess is that this is a decision that was made by the community on jp.wikipedia. I don't know if Croatian Wikipedia has elected to follow Croatian law or the default US law.
That makes no sense. WMF can lock down any of their sites, or refrain fromlocking down, regardless of th elaw anywhere outside the USA. Identifiable people in any country are subject to local laws, whatever the local "community" may think.

cyofee
Critic
Wikipedia Review Member: cyofee

Unread post by cyofee » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:19 pm

The Croatian article about Jasenovac has been cleaned up somewhat since the controversy began. It used to say, among other things, that prisoners had their own music orchestra, shows, and even that each workshop had their own football team (complete with uniforms).
http://goo.gl/maps/LpI0u - Wikipediocrats around the world

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:16 pm

cyofee wrote:The Croatian article about Jasenovac has been cleaned up somewhat since the controversy began. It used to say, among other things, that prisoners had their own music orchestra, shows, and even that each workshop had their own football team (complete with uniforms).
Thanks. I have to admit that reading about Jasenovac gave me nightmares and made me physically sick. I won't link to any more photos, but this is some of the English Wikipedia article:
On the night of 29 August 1942, the prison guards made bets among themselves as to who could slaughter the largest number of inmates. One of the guards, Petar Brzica, boasted[70] that he had cut the throats of about 1,360 new arrivals.[71] Other participants who confessed to participating in the bet included Ante Zrinušić, who killed some 600 inmates, and Mile Friganović, who gave a detailed and consistent report of the incident.[72] Friganović admitted to having killed some 1,100 inmates. He specifically recounted his torture of an old man named Vukasin; he attempted to compel the man to bless Ante Pavelić, which the old man refused to do, even after Friganović had cut off his ears, nose and tongue after each refusal. Ultimately, he cut out the old man's eyes, tore out his heart, and slashed his throat. This incident was witnessed by Dr. Nikola Nikolić.[73]

[...]

Systematic extermination varied both as to place and form. Some of the executions were mechanical, following Nazi methodology, while others were manual. The mechanical means of extermination included:

Cremation: The Ustaše cremated living inmates, who were sometimes drugged and sometimes fully awake, as well as corpses. The first cremations took place in the brick factory ovens in January, 1942. Engineer Hinko Dominik Picilli perfected this method by converting seven of the kiln's furnace chambers into more sophisticated crematories.[87][88] Crematories were also placed in Gradina, across the Sava River. According to the State Commission, however, "there is no information that it ever went into operation."[89] Later testimony, however, say the Gradina crematory had become operational.[90] Some bodies were buried rather than cremated, as shown by exhumation of bodies late in the war.

Gassing and poisoning: The Ustaše, in following the Nazi example, as set in Auschwitz and Sajmište, tried to employ poisonous gas to kill inmates that arrived in Stara-Gradiška. They first tried to gas the women and children that arrived from camp Djakovo with gas vans that Simo Klaić called "green Thomas".[91] The method was later replaced with stationary gas-chambers with Zyklon B and sulfur dioxide.[92][93][94][95]

Manual methods, the Ustaše favorites, were executions that took part in utilizing sharp or blunt craftsmen tools: knives, saws, hammers, et cetera. These executions took place in various locations:

Granik: Granik was a ramp used to unload goods of Sava boats. In winter 1943-44, season agriculture laborers became unemployed, while large transports of new internees arrived and the need for liquidation, in light of the expected Axis defeat, were large. Therefore, "Maks" Luburić devised a plan to utilize the crane as a gallows on which slaughter would be committed, so that the bodies could be dumped into the stream of the flowing river. In the autumn, the Ustaše NCO's came in every night for some 20 days, with lists of names of people who were incarcerated in the warehouse, stripped, chained, beaten and then taken to the "Granik", where weights were tied to the wire that was bent on their arms, and their intestines and neck were slashed, and they were thrown into the river with a blow of a blunt tool in the head. The method was later enhanced, so that inmates were tied in pairs, back to back, their bellies were cut before they were tossed into the river alive.[96]
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:54 pm

The Croatian Wikipedia administration seems to hate its own supporters. Their principal spokesperson, Mir Haven, dropped this note on the Requests for Comments: link
I've received an e-mail (due to impossibility of some Cro Wiki admins to use their e-mails or something like that ? never mind....) to write here that:+

Facebook anti-Cro Wiki campaigners & similar provocators will be blocked if they come to Cro Wiki just to obstruct ordinary editing of articles & wage a propaganda warfare at Village Pump. Of course, they're free to edit & work as any other user.

this is the explanation (in Croatian): https://hr.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:NIJE#W ... ji.C5.A1te

which is a translation- sort of- from English Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ttleground Mir Harven(talk) 13:42, 19 September 2013 (UTC)

Mir Harven, This can be used as a testament to your paranoid world view. If someone attacks you, the "Anti-Croatian" label is automatically applied. I'm croatian, and I'm ANTI-YOU, nothing else. I suggest that you remove the anti-Cro and apply anti-fascist label, before I even try to read any further. --Koryaksky (talk) 14:02, 19 September 2013 (UTC)

Yawn. I have nothing to do with it. Don't shoot the messenger. Mir Harven (talk) 14:09, 19 September 2013 (UTC)

Then I'm sorry, but can you maybe explain the above post a little? I'm not sure I follow what your post means. --Koryaksky (talk) 14:33, 19 September 2013 (UTC)

I'm not sure, but I guess its intention is to stop constant bickering at Cro Village pump. Post a question there. Mir Harven (talk) 15:18, 19 September 2013 (UTC)
Then someone wrote this:
I am an Ustasha!

If to be a patriot and a diligent benefactor to the Croats or any other nation is to be a murderous fascist, then I proudly pronounce myself the first ardentt Jewish Ustasha!

It is known that the Ustasha were collaborators with the Nazis, it is known how many Jews they slew. Still, if the Croat admins are Ustasha, count me with them all the way.

How can a place like Wikipedia, the one corner of the Internet free from idle haranguing and ill-conceived and frigid derision, allow a public lynch?

Alas, we do not guide the ship of Fortune. The most I can do is declare, again and again, that I am with the Croatian admins all the way. And if the price of gratitude is to dress myself up as a fascist -- or a jihadist -- I will gladly do it. They deserve as much from me for their friendship, and from the Board of Wikimedia for the precious time and effort thwy've invested into all of this.

P.s. when will old Balkan values again rise in importance? Loyalty, good faith, sympathy. You can't spend your lives labelling people. It is unspeakably and treacherously superficial. And thoughtless. --VKokielov (talk) 14:28, 19 September 2013 (UTC)

Pull some Mossad strings, what friends are for...Mir Harven (talk) 15:21, 19 September 2013 (UTC)
former Living Person

Bojan
Contributor

Unread post by Bojan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:05 am

The Jewish Ustasa guy is a Jew from Russia who can speak Serbian/Croatian. He was even a honorary sysop at sr.wiki. I guess he regularly hangs up on Croatian Wikipedia Freenode channel wikipedia-hr and he was brainwashed, so he feels that his hr.wiki friends are in danger (and he completely fails to understand reason why this controversy begun)

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:34 am

Bojan wrote:
Howard W. Campbell III wrote:
I am an Ustasha!

If to be a patriot and a diligent benefactor to the Croats or any other nation is to be a murderous fascist, then I proudly pronounce myself the first ardentt Jewish Ustasha!
The Jewish Ustasa guy is a Jew from Russia who can speak Serbian/Croatian. He was even a honorary sysop at sr.wiki. I guess he regularly hangs up on Croatian Wikipedia Freenode channel wikipedia-hr and he was brainwashed, so he feels that his hr.wiki friends are in danger (and he completely fails to understand reason why this controversy begun)
Attention please: Ve are haffing a visitor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OixVPcCbcx0

RfB

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:28 pm

Radicales de extrema derecha invaden Wikipedia en Croacia y manipulan los artículos con contenidos homófobos
Dosmanzanas, 20 September 2013 link
Google translated:

Right-wing radicals in Croatia invade Wikipedia articles and content handlers homophobic

Editors and managers of the extreme right have landed in the Wikipedia free content platform of Croatia to manipulate the entries in which issues related to sexuality, marriage and the rights of the LGBT community.

With these actions, the extremists violate Wikipedia usage policy in which items are required to be drawn under a neutral point of view. One of the modified entries is "marriage." The Croatian Wikipedia now defines it as "a social institution and legal contract between two people, a man and a woman, in order to live together and raise children."

Marriage between persons of the same sex is mentioned only at the end of the first paragraph: "In recent times, some states recognize gay marriages." However, this brief sentence (only reference to marriage equality throughout the article) is part of the same paragraph in which you talk about Indian tribal unions between same-sex wizards mentioned, quote, that "have provoked ridicule because the nature of their friend. " Administrators, in fact, have blocked the definition to ensure that no user can modify the contents of homophobic.
The Spanish article points out that Croatian Wikipedia is in violation of the European Charter of Fundamental Rights: link
The principle of equal treatment is a fundamental value for the EU, which is going to great lengths to combat homophobia and discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Article 21 of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights explicitly prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation, while Article 19 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union allows taking appropriate action to combat this type of discrimination.
Croatia was admitted to the European Union on 1 July 2013, and is subject to the Charter: link
On 1 December 2009, with the entry into force of the Treaty of Lisbon, the Charter became legally binding on the EU institutions and on national governments, just like the EU Treaties themselves.

For the first time, members of the College of Commissioners swore a solemn declaration to uphold the Charter as well as the Treaties in May 2010.
Is Croatia willing to be expelled from the European Union for the sake of a few fascist throwbacks who control Croatian Wikipedia? The country is already being threatened with sanctions by the European Commission: link
The Associated Press
Sat, Sep 21, 2013 (12:36 a.m.)

The European Union's newest member, Croatia, is facing imminent EU sanctions over a new law banning extradition of suspected criminals.

Such sanctions could involve suspending EU funds for Croatia's border controls. They would be an embarrassment for the Balkan country just two months after it joined the bloc.

The law was adopted just a day before Croatia formally became an EU member on July 1. It prohibits Croatian citizens from being extradited to foreign countries, which goes against EU practice.

Mina Andreeva, spokeswoman for the EU justice commissioner, said Monday that the European Commission is preparing the sanctions this week.

Andreeva said that despite sustained pressure on Croatia since it joined, "we have not seen a response" that satisfies the EU demands for an "unconditional change" of the law.
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:14 pm

Evidently, Croatian Wikipedia is attempting to remove the evidence of its fascist bias and misinformation. From the Requests for Comments: link
Suggestion: upload screenshots from the Facebook group to Commons

There are a lot of screenshots posted on the Facebook group with specific examples of bias, and it would be good to copy them somewhere to Wikimedia servers. This would help in any kind of a systematic documentation of bias, and would make it easy to provide direct replies to claims of unfounded slander.

I assume, though I'm not sure, that the copyright for the screens is either CC-BY-SA or GFDL, as they are all derived from content so licensed. If this is so, explicit permission of whoever posted / edited the screenshot probably isn't needed, although it'd be good to have it.

There are ~40 of these screenshots as of right now, and they're accessible to anyone signed into Facebook whether they "Like" the group or not. It'd be great if several people went ahead and uploaded a few each, we could have them all there pretty quickly. I started the category on commons Category:2013 Croatian Wikipedia controversy for this purpose, so whoever wants to contribute, go for it. Miranche (talk) 03:30, 21 September 2013 (UTC)
The screenshots on Facebook: link and link

Wikimedia Commons Category:2013 Croatian Wikipedia controversy#: link

former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:26 am

A problem for me in organizing a useful blog post is that I can't read Croatian. I studied Russian for a year, but my comprehension has dimmed with time. I had some Russian textbooks, but they were stolen by a Trotskyite; never let a Trot into your house: they are enemies of the people. Scanning text in a Slavic language gives me a vague sense of what it is about, but not much detail.

Here is some Croatian satire, courtesy of Timbouctou (T-C-L) on the Croatian_Wikipedia (T-H-L) Talk page.

Hrvatska Wikipedija tvrdi da je Djed Božićnjak četnik!
Tportal.hr, 21 September 2013 link

Google-translated: link
Croatian Wikipedia claims that Santa Claus is a Chetnik!

Mass media persecution of Croatian version of Wikipedia editors have filled newspapers for days and portal sites. But for the first time, members of Wikipedia reveals how making and leading website.

Many accuse the Croatian Wikipedia to spread the Ustasha, inventing facts and unscientific approach to issues. We have tried to find out their opinions and research methods. [embedded fake news video]
Hrvatska Wikipedija tvrdi da Vukovar nikada nije bio okupiran!
Tportal, 21 September 2013 link

Google-translated: link
Croatian Wikipedia claims that Vukovar was never occupied!

Croatian version of the Web encyclopedia already went on the nerves of many stories about how the victim with Bleiberg mostly (only) killed because it is a normal act of anyone who immensely loves Croatia. But now they are too far in its controversial historical interpretations.

All over the internet the last few days beats a sharp battle. Some people attack the author and editor of Croatian Wikipedia to lie about Croatian history. Critics do not like the authors of Wikipedia claim that Franjo Tudjman, the partisan general, a suspect in the killing of thousands of Croatian patriots who eksortirali a group of Chetniks to safety in Austria Bleiberg.

"It is claimed by liars with Wikipedia is simply stupid. Who ever heard of the Chetniks were in Bleiberg? What kind of nonsense? In addition, these wikipedijaši even contradictory. In one article, that the partisan general Tudjman, writing that he is at least guilty of command responsibility for the dead Ustashe and Chetniks, and in another article written to the patriotic Ustashe with Bleiberg actually killed themselves, how else are Croatian patriots soon have a chance! ' says the head of Twitter site 'Stop vilification Ustasha movement in hr.wikipediji'.

Wikipedia critics had enough though only after they are on the Internet Encyclopedia seen some recent historical discoveries.

'Do you know what they wrote about Vukovar?!?! They're maniacs, morons! These savages are written to the Vukovar 1991st was the victim of bad use of building materials. So rapidly itself collapsed. Not a word about srbočetničkoj aggression! They argue that the aggression was not that there were no casualties and aggression. On the Croatian Wikipedia claim that the attack on Croatia and the brutal destruction of Vukovar, a fiction fans communists who do not want to find out that the Communists used in the construction of cities so bad material that collapsed in 1991. year, "says critic duty Editorial Croatian Wikipedia.
SpeedyGonsales (T-C-L) provided this version of the WP article "Croatian Wikipedia": link

He seems to have lost the war, at least on the English Wikipedia front, having been overwhelmed by reliable sources.
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:24 pm

An article describing bias, misinformation and hoaxes in all of Wikipedia's languages, using Croatian Wikipedia as an example.

Historija koju pišu administratori
AlJazeera, 21 September link

Google-translated from Croatian to English: link
History written by administrators

Case Croatian Wikipedia started a question on the impact of anonymous administrators who have control over the contents of the most famous online encyclopedia.

Facebook group Exposing shameful hr. Wikipedia two weeks ago launched an internet and media campaign against certain historical articles on the Croatian version of the best-known virtual encyclopedia, accusing administrators of ideological coloration, revision history and use biased sources.

As an example, the above numerous articles - the Independent State of Croatia, anti-fascism, Jasenovac, figures such as George Francetić and Ante Pavelic. Triggers Facebook groups who challenged a little virtual war, they said that the reason for this "tyranny of the Croatian Wikipedia admins who held in his hands."

The intense controversy involved the Croatian Education Minister Zeljko Jovanovic inviting students to recognize "falsified historical facts and pay special attention to the relevance of the sources hr.wikipediji".

Conflict over the content of 'national' Wikipedia, especially articles that talk about the events and personalities that concern the history of countries in the region, it is not something that happens only in Croatia.
In passing, there is still no sign of The Founder's magical powers to reform Wikipedias. Jimbo's last comment on the hr.wikipedia issue (on his WP Talk page) was this:
I'm not going to have time right away, but this seems urgent, can someone ask as many of them as is practical to pop here for a discussion? I'd like to see as many eyes on this problem as possible.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 17:28, 13 September 2013 (UTC)
On the Requests for Comments page, Croatian Wikipedia's administration is still carrying on as if they are convinced that Jimmy Wales and the WMF are gutless curs:
You should have translate this ..."ti ustaški apologetu i fašistički mračnjaku" in edit summary. This is classical attack on admin, but no one talks here about it. Of course, this is so irrelevant. What would you (or anybody) do if someone calls you ustaša and fascist without any reason, on hr.wiki and here (first post in this topic)? Interesting, Chinese proxy again.--MaGa (talk) 09:15, 22 September 2013 (UTC)
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:05 am

Requests for comment/2013 issues on Croatian Wikipedia: link
Antifascism is a communist term. If we are talking about antifascism during the WWII, than person oposed to it would probably be fascist. But, if we are talking about post-WWII antifascism, then we are talking about left-wing-fascism, we are talking about communism. [...] Western nations never mention "antifascism" when talking about their oposition to fascism. Because they were and are opposed to both - fascism and antifascism (communism). If someone is opposed to communism (left-wing fascism, antifascism) it doesn't mean he or she is fascist. I think this article Antifascism with a human face describes better what I wanted to clear.
When talking about hr.wikipedia project, it is much more than a few history and politics articles. It's small community including sysops are doing a great job. This disruption of their work is not good. Regards, Chvrka (talk) 17:51, 23 September 2013 (UTC)
The people who throw money at the Wikimedia Foundation know that their donations are being used to fund fascist propaganda, right?

Jimmy Wales knows and, in response to his silence, we now have -

Talk:Requests for comment/2013 issues on Croatian Wikipedia/Evidence: link
Regarding the highlighted part, just a couple of thoughts: 1) WP:BOLD is a legitimate approach here, 2) looking at this talk page, I don't think anyone can say we're doing anything hastily and without discussion or second thought, 3) the situation has no real precedent (the closest example being Requests for comment/Massive sysop abuse in Chechen Wikipedia, apparently a much simpler affair), so there is no established way to deal with this, and 4) (and this is the most important) ako laže koza, ne laže rog - even if the structure and process aren't ideal, they are going to produce hard evidence for everyone to see and to assess. This, I believe, is all it takes. At any rate, if there should be complaints regarding the process, I'd be more than happy to make adjustments accordingly, which shouldn't take away anything from the value of concrete evidence gathered here. GregorB (talk) 10:53, 23 September 2013 (UTC)

Ok, agreed on all points. I agree we should move ahead, and I do think that someone to whom Jimbo will hopefully pay attention (which may be any of us) should leave a message on his page once some of the instructions & sample submissions are in place. At that time I'm also planning to ask for feedback from Ante Perkovic, a former hr.wiki admin who has stayed on the sidelines and kept a level head in commentaries on Jimbo's page and elsewhere online, and Vodomar, a conservative hr.wiki admin who has expressed principled support for this effort. Miranche (talk) 14:36, 23 September 2013 (UTC)
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:13 am

I agree we should move ahead, and I do think that someone to whom Jimbo will hopefully pay attention (which may be any of us) should leave a message on his page once some of the instructions & sample submissions are in place.
If you want to get Jimbo's attention, you could mention that his speakers bureau, the Harry Walker Agency link, can confirm that he'll make more money pretending to be anti-fascist than he could by revealing that his true ideology is opportunistic self-interest.

This well-referenced article in The Guardian sums up his political philosophy: link
Proselytisation of the cult of Wikipedia has reached new heights. Jimmy Wales, co-founder of Wikipedia, has joined a speaker's agency (amusingly, he's advertised just above Karl Rove). Note that he keeps all fees, which can exceed $50,000 (£27,000), maintaining that such engagements "are inviting me in my personal capacity".

His pitch starts: "Imagine a world in which every single person is given free access to the sum of all human knowledge ... To create and distribute a free encyclopedia of the highest possible quality to every single person on the planet in their own language - That's who I am. That's what I am doing. That's my life goal."

[...]

It's informative to observe how long Wales has been pursuing a strategy of selling advertising around other people's work. Some observers see a journalistic cheap irony in Jimmy Wales being philosophically an Objectivist (the fanatically capitalist intellectualism created by Ayn Rand). Supposedly this is in contradiction with the altruism that motivates massive amounts of free labour.

In fact, Wales speaks a language of corporate collectivism that would not be out of place in Rand's novels. Hyperbolically, it's where docile workers express joy that wonderful capitalists have provided the means of production, enabling glorious collective enterprises such as a laissez-faire market. This sounds strange to people who don't know about esoteric business-worshipping ideologies, and so mistakenly assume that phrases like "collective action" automatically indicate communism. Just think of a viewpoint which regards a powerless proletariat labouring to produce wealth for owners as being the highest social achievement, and the connections should be clearer.

Beware corporate executives posing as social visionaries. The hype may be about the fulfillment of human potential, but the reality is the exploitation of digital sharecropping.
former Living Person

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:45 am

Mancunium wrote:
I agree we should move ahead, and I do think that someone to whom Jimbo will hopefully pay attention (which may be any of us) should leave a message on his page once some of the instructions & sample submissions are in place.
If you want to get Jimbo's attention, you could mention that his speakers bureau, the Harry Walker Agency link, can confirm that he'll make more money pretending to be anti-fascist than he could by revealing that his true ideology is opportunistic self-interest.

This well-referenced article in The Guardian sums up his political philosophy: link
Proselytisation of the cult of Wikipedia has reached new heights. Jimmy Wales, co-founder of Wikipedia, has joined a speaker's agency (amusingly, he's advertised just above Karl Rove). Note that he keeps all fees, which can exceed $50,000 (£27,000), maintaining that such engagements "are inviting me in my personal capacity".

His pitch starts: "Imagine a world in which every single person is given free access to the sum of all human knowledge ... To create and distribute a free encyclopedia of the highest possible quality to every single person on the planet in their own language - That's who I am. That's what I am doing. That's my life goal."

[...]

It's informative to observe how long Wales has been pursuing a strategy of selling advertising around other people's work. Some observers see a journalistic cheap irony in Jimmy Wales being philosophically an Objectivist (the fanatically capitalist intellectualism created by Ayn Rand). Supposedly this is in contradiction with the altruism that motivates massive amounts of free labour.

In fact, Wales speaks a language of corporate collectivism that would not be out of place in Rand's novels. Hyperbolically, it's where docile workers express joy that wonderful capitalists have provided the means of production, enabling glorious collective enterprises such as a laissez-faire market. This sounds strange to people who don't know about esoteric business-worshipping ideologies, and so mistakenly assume that phrases like "collective action" automatically indicate communism. Just think of a viewpoint which regards a powerless proletariat labouring to produce wealth for owners as being the highest social achievement, and the connections should be clearer.

Beware corporate executives posing as social visionaries. The hype may be about the fulfillment of human potential, but the reality is the exploitation of digital sharecropping.
Ah, that's from Seth, another former living person a.k.a. Seth Finkelstein (T-C-L). Wishing you a happy hour's reading. ;)

Cedric
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Edeans
Wikipedia Review Member: Cedric
Actual Name: Eddie Singleton

Unread post by Cedric » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:30 pm

HRIP7 wrote:
Mancunium wrote:

[. . . .]
Ah, that's from Seth, another former living person a.k.a. Seth Finkelstein (T-C-L). Wishing you a happy hour's reading. ;)
Not only that, it's from 2008. The Guardian would never publish anything like that today; it has been very much in the orbit of the WMF for the last few years.

trout
Regular
Wikipedia User: Don City Break

Unread post by trout » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 pm

Cedric wrote: Not only that, it's from 2008. The Guardian would never publish anything like that today; it has been very much in the orbit of the WMF for the last few years.
This article is from The Guardian in 2012:
Wikipedia is always the first site my search engine offers, for any artist, but I try to ignore it. I detest the way this site claims to offer the world's knowledge when all it often contains is a half-baked distillation of third-hand information. To call this an encyclopedia is like saying an Airfix model is a real Spitfire. Actually, not even a kit model – more like one made out of matchsticks.

I have a modest proposal for Wikipedia: can it please stay offline for ever? It has already achieved something remarkable, replacing genuine intellectual curiosity and discovery with a world of lazy, instant factoids. Can it take a rest and let civilisation recover?

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:11 am

trout wrote:
Cedric wrote: Not only that, it's from 2008. The Guardian would never publish anything like that today; it has been very much in the orbit of the WMF for the last few years.
Wikipedia is always the first site my search engine offers, for any artist, but I try to ignore it. I detest the way this site claims to offer the world's knowledge when all it often contains is a half-baked distillation of third-hand information. To call this an encyclopedia is like saying an Airfix model is a real Spitfire. Actually, not even a kit model – more like one made out of matchsticks.

I have a modest proposal for Wikipedia: can it please stay offline for ever? It has already achieved something remarkable, replacing genuine intellectual curiosity and discovery with a world of lazy, instant factoids. Can it take a rest and let civilisation recover?
The Wikipedia SOPA blackout on 18 January 2012 gave me no joy; I had known it was coming. It was the blackout of 6 August 2012 that made me rejoice. It was caused by mishap: two overland fiber-optic cables connecting its worldwide data centre in Tampa, Florida, to Virginia were accidentally cut.

Although the freedom from information lasted only two or three hours, it showed me that one determined man with a shovel and an axe can take down WP, and so it gave me hope.
former Living Person

Cedric
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Edeans
Wikipedia Review Member: Cedric
Actual Name: Eddie Singleton

Unread post by Cedric » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:51 am

trout wrote:

Hmmm, I wonder how that got through? Perhaps because it is in the culture blog section, instead of the tech section.

HRIP7
Denizen

How pro-fascist ideologues are rewriting Croatia's history

Unread post by HRIP7 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:00 pm

Tim Sampson, The Daily Dot, 1 October 2013: How pro-fascist ideologues are rewriting Croatia's history
George Orwell once said, "He whoever controls the past controls the future." And in 2013, the surest way to control the past is to control Wikipedia.

A group of right-wing extremists have reportedly commandeered the Croatian version of Wikipedia. A small cabal of administrators have gradually taken over the site, advancing a culturally strong, albeit politically weak, ideological agenda. It’s a battle for the hearts and minds of Wikipedia readers, and the victor will likely dictate Croatian history for years to come on the Web’s most-read encyclopedia. [...]
Previous discussion of the topic here.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Michaeldsuarez
Wikipedia Review Member: Michaeldsuarez

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:37 pm

A hrwiki sysop is complaining to Jimbo about "bullying" and being called a "fascist" (permalink). I don't speak the Croatian language, so I'm not exactly sure if "Kubura" is one of hrwiki's fascist sysops, but from what I've read in the English language so far, Kubura clearly isn't blameless.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:51 pm

https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:SpeedyGonsales&diff=7265141&oldid=7200815:

Code: Select all

I am sorry, but I have to strip your CU rights. Thanks though, for your past work as a CU there. If you intend to apply for CU before the WMF takes action on hrwiki, please give us a heads-up first. Thanks. [[User:Elfix|Elfix]] 18:27, 28 January 2014 (UTC)
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=rights&page=User%3ASpeedyGonsales%40hrwiki:

Code: Select all

18:28, 28 January 2014 Elfix (talk | contribs) changed group membership for User:SpeedyGonsales@hrwiki from bureaucrat, CheckUser, patroller and administrator to bureaucrat, patroller and administrator (unproven community consensus, cf. https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:SpeedyGonsales&diff=7125314&oldid=7038600)
Months after the media brought attention to hrwiki's issues, the wind of change is finally coming.

Poetlister
Genius

Croatian Wikipedia Made a Concentration Camp Disappear

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:13 pm

Unlike Wikipedia in other languages, the Croatian version refers to the WWII Jasenovac concentration camp as a “collection camp” - as well as playing down fascist crimes and ignoring right-wingers’ controversies. With its nationalist sentiments, factual mistakes, lack of academic references and omitted facts about World War II history, Croatian Wikipedia is not a reliable source, analysts have told BIRN. Articles that refer to the Croatian WWII fascist Ustasa movement and its crimes are criticised as particularly unreliable, ideologically loaded and imprecise, thus downplaying the crimes.
Balkan Insight

A good example of how a wikipedia can have a house POV. Of course, such things are not unknown in other languages; it's often interesting to compare the English, French and German sites.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Re: Croatian Wikipedia Made a Concentration Camp Disappear

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:59 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Unlike Wikipedia in other languages, the Croatian version refers to the WWII Jasenovac concentration camp as a “collection camp” - as well as playing down fascist crimes and ignoring right-wingers’ controversies. With its nationalist sentiments, factual mistakes, lack of academic references and omitted facts about World War II history, Croatian Wikipedia is not a reliable source, analysts have told BIRN. Articles that refer to the Croatian WWII fascist Ustasa movement and its crimes are criticised as particularly unreliable, ideologically loaded and imprecise, thus downplaying the crimes.
Balkan Insight

A good example of how a wikipedia can have a house POV. Of course, such things are not unknown in other languages; it's often interesting to compare the English, French and German sites.
A bonus for ten: why is there a Croatian Wikipedia anyway? The language they speak is Serbo-Croat...

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:16 am

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
Balkan Insight

A bonus for ten: why is there a Croatian Wikipedia anyway? The language they speak is Serbo-Croat...
Despite my dislike of Quora, a reasonable explanation here: linkhttps://www.quora.com/How-is-Serbo-Croa ... d-Croatian[/link]
TL;DR version: the term 'Serbo-Croatian' is inextricably linked to the Yugoslavian regime and the war.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Malik Shabazz
Critic
Wikipedia User: Malik Shabazz

Unread post by Malik Shabazz » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:27 am

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
Balkan Insight

If I'm not mistaken, they speak the same language but one group uses the Latin alphabet to write and the other uses the Cyrillic.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:14 am

Malik Shabazz wrote:If I'm not mistaken, they speak the same language but one group uses the Latin alphabet to write and the other uses the Cyrillic.
That's essentially correct, though it's a bit more complicated than that. Some Serbs use Cyrillic and all Croatians use Latinica, but a majority of Serbs actually prefer Latinica to Cyrillic. What's going on there is that the Serbian government, which is a traditional Russian ally, promotes the use of Cyrillic for official purposes (including on road signs and so on), because that's what the Russians use. (To be fair, they get a fair amount of Russian aid money, as well as tourist business and what-not from Russia.) The real reason why there are separate wikis is because Serbian nationalists want it that way, and they're supported by both the Serbian government and, wittingly or unwittingly, the substantial number of Croatians who don't like Serbians due to bad blood held over from the breakup of Yugoslavia. And as the Quora answer Mr. Zoloft linked to suggests, that substantial number could easily comprise a clear majority of Croatians.

Meanwhile, the fact that the Serbo-Croat Latinica Wikipedia has been practically taken over by fascists is probably incidental. (There are fascists all over the world, after all, and they're naturally drawn to anything that claims to be a publicly-editable encyclopedia.) It's certainly possible that Serbian fascists are involved there too, trying to influence Croatian opinion from the comfort of their parents' basements, or perhaps their Russian-funded troll-farm sweatshops, yada yada. Frankly, the only reason the same thing isn't going on with the Serbo-Croat Cyrillic Wikipedia is probably because after the fall of the Milosevic government, official (i.e., financial) support for these kinds of activities within Serbia dried up, and the hard-line fascists there are mostly still out of favor.