US Senate editing Snowden bio to change dissident > traitor?

HRIP7
Denizen
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

US Senate editing Snowden bio to change dissident > traitor?

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:53 am

As A1candidate (T-C-L) points out on Jimbo's talk, an IP 156.33.241.5 (T-C-L) that is marked as belonging to the US Senate made this edit to Snowden's biography, changing the description from "dissident" to "traitor".
General IP Information

IP: 156.33.241.5
Decimal: 2619470085
Hostname: 156.33.241.5
ISP: United States Senate
Organization: US Senate
Services: Confirmed proxy server

Type: Corporate
Assignment: Static IP

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Re: US Senate editing Snowden bio to change dissident > trai

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:18 pm

HRIP7 wrote:As A1candidate (T-C-L) points out on Jimbo's talk, an IP 156.33.241.5 (T-C-L) that is marked as belonging to the US Senate made this edit to Snowden's biography, changing the description from "dissident" to "traitor".
General IP Information

Congressional employees runs into the tens of thousands. Just some hot head voicing his opinion.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:13 pm

TungstenCarbide wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:As A1candidate (T-C-L) points out on Jimbo's talk, an IP 156.33.241.5 (T-C-L) that is marked as belonging to the US Senate made this edit to Snowden's biography, changing the description from "dissident" to "traitor".
General IP Information

Congressional employees runs into the tens of thousands. Just some hot head voicing his opinion.
Yes, it aint "the gubment."

What's really funny is there's no complaint about the use of "dissident," which is as thoroughly inappropriate as "traitor." Perhaps the IP was making the point that one man's dissident is another man's traitor? And why not? His edit never went live (Snowden's bio is one of the fewer than 1% of Wikipedia biographies blessed with "pending changes") whereas Wikipedia had him down as a "dissident" for at least two hours at the time of the IP's edit, thanks to an account called DrFleischman (T-C-L) (formerly "Nstrauss"). I wonder what Dr. Fleischman's (or is it Mr. Strauss, or something else entirely?) political affiliations are and how they might be effecting his pursuit of blessed, blessed "NPOV" (A Wikipedia acronym for "Neutral Point of View")?

This exchange at the top of the good doctors talk page makes it clear what he's there for (political activism.) But assume good faith y'all!
I can only interpret your recent edit to Campaign for "santorum" neologism as an attempt to further the visibility of the neologism at Google. Don't do that. If you have arguments why you think the made-up definition should be at the very top of the article, feel free to lay them out at the talk page of the article.
Amalthea 19:52, 12 January 2012 (UTC)

Sorry for the delay, just did that. I would add, please assume good faith. --DrFleischman (talk) 19:55, 12 January 2012 (UTC)

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:06 pm

DanMurphy wrote:
What's really funny is there's no complaint about the use of "dissident," which is as thoroughly inappropriate as "traitor." Perhaps the IP was making the point that one man's dissident is another man's traitor? And why not?
""One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." —Gerald Seymour (1975)

"Dissident" works for me.

RfB
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:09 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
DanMurphy wrote:
What's really funny is there's no complaint about the use of "dissident," which is as thoroughly inappropriate as "traitor." Perhaps the IP was making the point that one man's dissident is another man's traitor? And why not?

RfB
I'd prefer whistleblower.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:09 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
DanMurphy wrote:

RfB
I'd prefer whistleblower.
That's probably better.

tim
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:17 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:"Dissident" works for me.
"Political subversive" is probably more accurate, and probably more NPOV as well, though both terms are probably better than "traitor." And I agree, "whistle-blower" would be better as well.

For the moment, the word they're using is "fugitive," which in some ways is better, some ways worse. They could also try "self-imposed exile" or "asylum-seeker" just to be nice, but either way, I'm sure this will provide the WPers with plenty of entertainment for months to come!

:popcorn:

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:31 pm

He was labelled a whistleblower for quite a while, despite Baseball Bugs (T-C-L) best efforts:
Bugs wrote:Leaker, definitely. Whistleblower, no. If this activity was being done under the Patriot Act, then it was "legal", whether this character likes it or not ... Giving aid and comfort and secret information to the enemy is a potentially treasonous offense ... get rid of that biased, self-serving term "whistleblower" ... yadda yadda yadda ...
I took Snowden's article off my watchlist a while back and hadn't noticed the change, anyone know who altered it?

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:40 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
"Political subversive" is probably more accurate, and probably more NPOV as well, though both terms are probably better than "traitor." And I agree, "whistle-blower" would be better as well.

For the moment, the word they're using is "fugitive," which in some ways is better, some ways worse. They could also try "self-imposed exile" or "asylum-seeker" just to be nice, but either way, I'm sure this will provide the WPers with plenty of entertainment for months to come!

In the good old days:
(caution - viewing may cause nausea and vomiting)
former Living Person

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:21 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:

Treason has a well established legal meaning in the US. There is no evidence to support a legal charge of treason.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Mancunium wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:

In the good old days:
W is going to go down as the very worst US president.
I hate that man with the fury of a thousand lambent suns.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:58 pm

Alec, I'll take "Leaker" for 400.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:04 am

Vigilant wrote:
Mancunium wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:

In the good old days:
W is going to go down as the very worst US president.
+1001
former Living Person

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:16 am

Vigilant wrote:W is going to go down as the very worst US president.
I had to live in his America, in 2002-03 when people were screaming for Saddam's head--because Bush and his sick friends ordered it.
Millions of ordinary citizens are every bit as guilty as he was. They just love those "War On" somethings. Doesn't matter who or what.

Wer900
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Wer900

Unread post by Wer900 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:41 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Vigilant wrote:W is going to go down as the very worst US president.
I had to live in his America, in 2002-03 when people were screaming for Saddam's head--because Bush and his sick friends ordered it.
Millions of ordinary citizens are every bit as guilty as he was. They just love those "War On" somethings. Doesn't matter who or what.
It's no wonder why that fucker didn't sign the US up to the ICC. Nobody will ever investigate his war crimes. But if it's a US puppet leader who's fallen out of favor with the Department of Defense, then it's perfectly okay to send them to court.
Obvious civility robots are obvious

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:57 am

People who say "George W. Bush is the worst president in American history" need to go read some American history. I get that Bush is recent, but you guys could at least pretend to acknowledge the existence of over two hundred previous years of American history.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:59 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:People who say "George W. Bush is the worst president in American history" need to go read some American history. I get that Bush is recent, but you guys could at least pretend to acknowledge the existence of over two hundred previous years of American history.
Provide a counter example.

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:45 am

George W. Bush is my least favorite president during my lifetime (and I'm about 30), but I agree with TDA that he isn't the worst ever. For example, I think James Buchanan was worse. The worst results of Bush's mistakes are the recession and an unnecessary war in Iraq, whereas the worst result was the Civil War in Buchanan's case.

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:47 am

Captain Occam wrote:George W. Bush is my least favorite president during my lifetime (and I'm about 30), but I agree with TDA that he isn't the worst ever. For example, I think James Buchanan was worse. The worst results of Bush's mistakes are the recession and an unnecessary war in Iraq, whereas the worst result was the Civil War in Buchanan's case.
The causes of the Civil War are many and complex. It may well have occurred were any number of similarly indecisive persons as Buchanan President at the time leading up to the commencement of the main hostilities. The Civil War was certainly not publicly justified by an untruth, one that was ignored when it was exposed as a lie and simply replaced by another justification.
a cien años de soledad no tenían una segunda oportunidad en la tierra

Captain Occam
Gregarious

Unread post by Captain Occam » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:42 am

greyed.out.fields wrote:The causes of the Civil War are many and complex. It may well have occurred were any number of similarly indecisive persons as Buchanan President at the time leading up to the commencement of the main hostilities. The Civil War was certainly not publicly justified by an untruth, one that was ignored when it was exposed as a lie and simply replaced by another justification.
George W. Bush wasn't the only president fooled by Saddam Hussein's efforts to convince others he had weapons of mass destruction. This quote is from Bill Clinton:
It is obvious that there is an attempt here, based on the whole history of this operation since 1991, to protect whatever remains of his capacity to produce weapons of mass destruction, the missiles to deliver them, and the feed stocks necessary to produce them. The UNSCOM inspectors believe that Iraq still has stockpiles of chemical and biological munitions, a small force of Scud-type missiles, and the capacity to restart quickly its production program and build many, many more weapons.
[…]
Now, let's imagine the future. What if he fails to comply, and we fail to act, or we take some ambiguous third route which gives him yet more opportunities to develop this program of weapons of mass destruction and continue to press for the release of the sanctions and continue to ignore the solemn commitments that he made? Well, he will conclude that the international community has lost its will. He will then conclude that he can go right on and do more to rebuild an arsenal of devastating destruction. And some day, some way, I guarantee you, he'll use the arsenal. And I think every one of you who's really worked on this for any length of time believes that, too.
[…]
If we fail to respond today, Saddam and all those who would follow in his footsteps will be emboldened tomorrow by the knowledge that they can act with impunity, even in the face of a clear message from the United Nations Security Council and clear evidence of a weapons of mass destruction program.
This quote (from here) is from the lead-up to the bombing of Iraq in 1998, and Clinton's signing of the Iraq Liberation Act. He didn't order an actual invasion of Iraq the way Bush did, but it's possible he would have if the same circumstances had arisen in a post-9/11 era.

Apart from possibly Nixon, there aren't any presidents whose best-known mistakes one can't image being made by others in the same situation. We don't really have another way of judging them besides how major the disasters were that they failed to prevent, even if the worst disasters can't be blamed on just one person. The same thing applies to Herbert Hoover.

What do you think about Andrew Johnson? I think he was uniquely incompetent in his handling of the post-civil-war reconstruction, and caused the rift between the north and the south to exist for several decades longer than it might have under someone else.

Moonage Daydream
Habitué

Unread post by Moonage Daydream » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:13 pm

DanMurphy wrote:
TungstenCarbide wrote:
General IP Information

Yes, it aint "the gubment."

What's really funny is there's no complaint about the use of "dissident," which is as thoroughly inappropriate as "traitor." Perhaps the IP was making the point that one man's dissident is another man's traitor? And why not? His edit never went live (Snowden's bio is one of the fewer than 1% of Wikipedia biographies blessed with "pending changes") whereas Wikipedia had him down as a "dissident" for at least two hours at the time of the IP's edit, thanks to an account called DrFleischman (T-C-L) (formerly "Nstrauss"). I wonder what Dr. Fleischman's (or is it Mr. Strauss, or something else entirely?) political affiliations are and how they might be effecting his pursuit of blessed, blessed "NPOV" (A Wikipedia acronym for "Neutral Point of View")?

This exchange at the top of the good doctors talk page makes it clear what he's there for (political activism.) But assume good faith y'all!
I can only interpret your recent edit to Campaign for "santorum" neologism as an attempt to further the visibility of the neologism at Google. Don't do that. If you have arguments why you think the made-up definition should be at the very top of the article, feel free to lay them out at the talk page of the article.
Amalthea 19:52, 12 January 2012 (UTC)

Sorry for the delay, just did that. I would add, please assume good faith. --DrFleischman (talk) 19:55, 12 January 2012 (UTC)
Apparently DrFleischman is upset about this comment:
I find this to be quite offensive. You can't engage in personal attacks here so you take it off-wiki, eh? --Dr. Fleischman (talk) 09:26, 4 August 2013 (UTC)
: Well, I'm offended that you're offended. Who are you exactly? Btw, the fact that you describe that entirely innocuous observation about human bias as a "personal attack" is a sign that Wikipedia is rotting your brain.[[User:Dan Murphy|Dan Murphy]] ([[User talk:Dan Murphy#top|talk]]) 12:30, 4 August 2013 (UTC)
Who is DrFleischman? He's lawyer Nathaniel Strauss. Sounds like an interesting guy, but he probably should be more careful about editing from his workplace. Hi Nate!!

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:22 pm

Apparently DrFleischman is upset about this comment:

Quote:
I find this to be quite offensive. You can't engage in personal attacks here so you take it off-wiki, eh? --Dr. Fleischman (talk) 09:26, 4 August 2013 (UTC)
: Well, I'm offended that you're offended. Who are you exactly? Btw, the fact that you describe that entirely innocuous observation about human bias as a "personal attack" is a sign that Wikipedia is rotting your brain.[[User:Dan Murphy|Dan Murphy]] ([[User talk:Dan Murphy#top|talk]]) 12:30, 4 August 2013 (UTC)

Who is DrFleischman? He's lawyer Nathaniel Strauss. Sounds like an interesting guy, but he probably should be more careful about editing from his workplace. Hi Nate!!
Welcome Dr. Fleischman, ehr, Ms. Streissand, ehr, Mr. Strauss!

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:33 pm

Ahhhh, don't be too hard on the kid. I mean, look at that picture.

Worst thing he deserves if to use his office phone number in a fake backpage.com erotic massage ad.

Moonage Daydream
Habitué

Unread post by Moonage Daydream » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:51 pm

Vigilant wrote:Ahhhh, don't be too hard on the kid. I mean, look at that picture.

Worst thing he deserves if to use his office phone number in a fake backpage.com erotic massage ad.
Paging Demiurge. Demiurge to the white courtesy phone please.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:33 pm

Vigilant wrote:Provide a counter example.
Just look at any president from 1900 back.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:35 pm

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Vigilant wrote:Provide a counter example.
Just look at any president from 1900 back.
I'm not sure you understand what "example" means.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:23 pm

:offtopic:

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone