Comment on Arbcom Accountability Project, Rev 2

Triptych
Retired
kołdry
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Comment on Arbcom Accountability Project, Rev 2

Unread post by Triptych » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:37 am

Zoloft wrote:
I've tucked this mess out of sight until the Trustees can address this.

Do not recreate, please.
Happy to comply. It takes no longer than a week for that, so I'll consider the duration of your guidance one week, Zoloft. From the time you said it.

It'll give me a chance to update the project. I'm updating for things like improved information and so forth. I have improved information. Still need the triple data elements for Carcharoth and Courcelles particularly. I'm updating for resignations. Resignation means entry except for user name is replaced with date of resignation. Since Coren and Hersfold though, I'm tightening the resignation standard. It now means resign the advanced tools of checkuser and oversight as well.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Re: Comment on Arbcom Accountability Project, Rev 2

Unread post by DanMurphy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:28 pm

I generally support identifying Wikipedia editors - when there's a specific reason to do so. A scatter-shot "crowd-sourcing" effort to ID people I don't support.

I recommend that "Triptych" host his project somewhere else. I see little upside for what we're trying to do here and a reasonable amount of downside.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:07 pm

DanMurphy wrote:I generally support identifying Wikipedia editors - when there's a specific reason to do so. A scatter-shot "crowd-sourcing" effort to ID people I don't support.

I recommend that "Triptych" host his project somewhere else. I see little upside for what we're trying to do here and a reasonable amount of downside.
Anybody else care to chime in? In case you missed it the idea was that identifying the arbitrators by real name, general location, and approximate age would result in their behavioral improvement, as opposed to the pseudonyms operating in the comfort of a secret mailing list, and with no need or inclination at all to even explain their decisions. This in my view is the "specific reason" Dan's looking for. There was also some edgy humor in the previous thread that may have been hard for some to recognize as such.

I was also going to try to tie the logic back to to Jeremy Bentham's theory of the Panopticon (hint, don't rely on the Wikipedia article) and similarly theories such as those that support the widespread placement of conspicuously mounted cameras in high-crime areas.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:01 pm

Fine then: the issue I see here is that you/we have really no chance of making any sort of accountability stick; or to put it in other terms, you/we aren't actually able to call them to account. I'm not seeing the problems with ARBCOM which could have something do do with their real-life identities; really the biggest issue may well be that that their continual declining to take cases is pushing too much on AN/I, but in any case it seems to me that the arguments need first be made on the basis of how they act in-Wikipedia context. I don't see how this isn't turning into source of harassment.

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Triptych wrote:
DanMurphy wrote:I generally support identifying Wikipedia editors - when there's a specific reason to do so. A scatter-shot "crowd-sourcing" effort to ID people I don't support.

Anybody else care to chime in? In case you missed it the idea was that identifying the arbitrators by real name, general location, and approximate age would result in their behavioral improvement, as opposed to the pseudonyms operating in the comfort of a secret mailing list, and with no need or inclination at all to even explain their decisions. This in my view is the "specific reason" Dan's looking for. There was also some edgy humor in the previous thread that may have been hard for some to recognize as such.

I was also going to try to tie the logic back to to Jeremy Bentham's theory of the Panopticon (hint, don't rely on the Wikipedia article) and similarly theories such as those that support the widespread placement of conspicuously mounted cameras in high-crime areas.
ED?

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:12 pm

Ming wrote:Fine then: the issue I see here is that you/we have really no chance of making any sort of accountability stick; or to put it in other terms, you/we aren't actually able to call them to account. I'm not seeing the problems with ARBCOM which could have something do do with their real-life identities; really the biggest issue may well be that that their continual declining to take cases is pushing too much on AN/I...
You don't need a mechanism beyond the identification, unless you count self-control. In other words, the anonymity is the root, well a root of the abusive behavior. You eliminate the anonymity, the behavior improves. It's not that last thing you said. You recall Arbcom's two month exploration and checkuser mass attack on Malleus Fatuorum and George Ponderavo down to where they're examining IP use over the Christmas holiday? The only reason it came out of the arbs' trademark secrecy is because some anguished junior checkuser had to say they made him do it. Right now they're refusing to deal with the WMF employee and other administrator that made the "joke" about lighting up their editor target after massaging him with oil. Which is not only a violent connotation but a lewd one if you think about it. As well Arbcom's well aware that some person found a personal Flickr account of Mancunium's wife and young daughter and happily posted the pictures at his unwilling BLP entry. Any discipline for that? Kohser gets another BLP apparently posting his address. You think Arbcom doesn't know it? I'm convinced these things are going on constantly under cover. Redact and publish the mailing list.

I appreciate the comment but feel you don't understand just how bad the abuses of the administrative culture are.

As for WP:AN/ANI, they don't have stuff "pushed" on them, those are chat forums inhabited largely by the most abhorrent people who reach out and grab ever more stuff, because they enjoy the heck out of judging and controlling their latest targets, and of course the popcorn-muching drama of it.

Kevin
Critic
Wikipedia User: Kevin
Wikipedia Review Member: Kevin
Actual Name: Kevin Godfrey

Unread post by Kevin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:20 pm

Triptych wrote:

I don't think you can predict the behaviour of someone you've backed into a corner, so hoping for an improvement is rather optomistic. Also, shouldn't you go first?

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:28 pm

Kevin wrote: I don't think you can predict the behaviour of someone you've backed into a corner, so hoping for an improvement is rather optomistic. Also, shouldn't you go first?
As I told you before I am not an administrator and have never blocked or taken action against another editor. The panoptic principle I think is sound. Ever stop for a yellow traffic light you'd otherwise run because you know they fixed a camera up there?

This is not backing anyone into a corner. The arbs however do so constantly.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:01 pm

Okay, it's really coming along now. I believe I have addressed the very constructive comments above. It's interesting to look at these arb accounts and realize most of them are either renamed and/or scrubbed and/or show signs of being subsequent accounts or undisclosed alternate accounts.

Courcelles, of whom I could tell little, particularly caught my attention when I came across Wikipediocracy contributor Fuzzgun '91's examination of his activity.
Fuzzgun '91 on May 21, 2012 wrote:
If I were a Wiki-Sock-Hunter, I would find Courcelles quite suspicious indeed:

*The account was originally created as "Bradjamesbrown" on February 28, 2006, but its first edit wasn't until September 19 of that year.

*Over the next three years, only about 50 edits were made using the account. Those 50 edits suggest familiarity with Wikipedia and its lingo. He uses the phrase "vandalism revert" in his first edit ever. His fifth and sixth edits are to the article on the WMF's Erik Moeller. The purpose of his 11th edit was to "remove unverifyable [sic] information." In his 15th edit, he used a stock vandalism warning template. With his 22nd edit, he created an ANI thread. In his 36th edit, he used the abbreviation "NPOV."

*Then, starting on November 21, 2009, Bradjamesbrown dove headlong into AfD, AfC, patrolling, etc., and the account became truly "active" for the first time. Six months later, he had accrued over 55,000 edits, about half of which were made in March and April 2010 alone (source). At that point, in May 2010, he became an administrator after his RfA closed without a single opposing vote. A few days later, on June 1, the account was renamed "Courcelles."

*In December 2011, he completed his meteoric rise when he was elected to an ArbCom seat with the highest support percentage of any candidate. He and Elen of the Roads are the only members of ArbCom apparently hailing from the "next generation" of Wikipedians, such as it is; both started actively editing in 2009 and became admins in 2010. All other arbs passed RfA in 2008 or earlier.
Fuzzgun hyperlinks all that if you want to go look (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... 6p%3D13118). The hyperlinks square with Fuzzgun's commentary, I think. By Courcelles' purported fifth and sixth edits he's not only editing a Wikimedia Foundation figure, he's actually doing redirects, which it seems to me would not be learned so quickly by a brand new editor. An explanation for the six month gap between account creation and first edit could possibly be an extensive and policy-violating use of the advanced oversight privilege?

It did make me aggravated a moment because it's another indication that Wikipedia's sock blockers are in fact socks. So is Courcelles actually the real-life Mr. Brad Brown or is "Bradjamesbrown" merely one more account of the many of whomever's behind it? I'd suppose he's Brad Brown but then I don't have the arb luxury of running around checkusering whomever I want.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:18 pm

Triptych wrote:
Ming wrote:Fine then: the issue I see here is that you/we have really no chance of making any sort of accountability stick; or to put it in other terms, you/we aren't actually able to call them to account. I'm not seeing the problems with ARBCOM which could have something do do with their real-life identities; really the biggest issue may well be that that their continual declining to take cases is pushing too much on AN/I...
You don't need a mechanism beyond the identification, unless you count self-control. In other words, the anonymity is the root, well a root of the abusive behavior. You eliminate the anonymity, the behavior improves.
That was never Ming's experience of the internet. Back in usenet days, a lot of the hugest pains in the neck were people whom everyone knew. There wasn't a lot of real anonymity, because the guy down the hallway in the CS department or at DEC or wherever knew who you were. There was some spoofing but the size of the thing was such that it was generally easy to kill off. And you know what? Every aspect of bad internet behavior we suffer through now was invented back then. Suppressing anonymity mostly puts matters more in the hands of the bloody-minded. If you're lucky you'll get someone like NYB, but more likely you'll get a petty tyrant like Schuminweb (T-C-L), whose real life identity was right out in the open, and whose abusive behavior took well over a year to be called to account, and only because a big enough "lynch mob" got together and petitioned ARBCOM to take this guy's admin powers away. His name didn't make him accountable; only ARBCOM's willingness to act brought him to account.
I appreciate the comment but feel you don't understand just how bad the abuses of the administrative culture are.
Ming has cosmic powers of imagination, so he has no problem understanding the possible extent of admin abuse. What he does not see is this having any effect on whatever problems are out there; he sees instead that this would make them more entrenched. If the current attitude towards anonymity and its loss be a contributing factor, doing this would simply provide "proof" that editor identities need be protected ever more strongly.

Administrator accountability can only be made effective through a culture and power structures which make calling them on the carpet both more readily done and less necessary. An ineffectual outside threat (for you do intend to so threaten them) simply is going to promote them closing ranks against outsiders, including against lowly editors.
As for WP:AN/ANI, they don't have stuff "pushed" on them, those are chat forums inhabited largely by the most abhorrent people who reach out and grab ever more stuff, because they enjoy the heck out of judging and controlling their latest targets, and of course the popcorn-muching drama of it.
If that's what you see, Ming isn't confident of your powers of observation. There is plenty wrong with what goes on at AN/I, but when Ming counts incidents instead of volume, he mostly sees routine slap-downs of people whose acts merit it. The drama fests are of course another story, but exposing identities is only rarely going to fix that.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Ming wrote:...something do do...
Ming is capable of typographical error?
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:47 pm

Ming learned to type on an old Underwood manual. He was an early adopter of text editing (Univac DPS) because he liked the idea that when he fixed his typos, they stayed fixed.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:19 pm

All systems are go. I'll do a last check for resignations, but we are talking minutes.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:02 pm

Triptych wrote:All systems are go. I'll do a last check for resignations, but we are talking minutes.
You're not going to post a bunch of other people's dox here, are you?
'Cause stuff would go down, y'know?

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:05 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Triptych wrote:All systems are go. I'll do a last check for resignations, but we are talking minutes.
You're not going to post a bunch of other people's dox here, are you?
'Cause stuff would go down, y'know?
wut, wut, wut ?!!

Zoloft's a hard, pipe hittin' cracka'
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Vigilant

Re: Arbcom Accountability Project Rev. 2

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:27 am

I'm pretty sure you were just told not to do this.

Edit: Sorry, deleted the post right above this one. -Zoloft
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Wer900
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Wer900

Unread post by Wer900 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:34 am

Vigilant wrote:I'm pretty sure you were just told not to do this.
I think that Zoloft added the posts back.
Obvious civility robots are obvious

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:02 am

FWIW.......I offered Triptych more info for his lists, if he would find a host elsewhere. He didn't follow up....

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:57 am

I have a host, if he'll keep it legal.

You hear that, Triptych? I can host it, Eric can give you the skinny to make it come alive. You can link it in your sig here and even in this topic. We get thousands of people here and respectable Google juice.

But you can't just waltz into someone's hard-earned joint and set up shop.

Capisce?

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:15 am

Wer900 wrote:
I think that Zoloft added the posts back.
Vigilant is correct, I just nuked the post, and I am going to give Triptych a short break.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:36 am

Why?
Triptych banned for a week.

:picard:

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:47 am

Zoloft wrote:Why?

A little harsh for my taste.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:54 am

Vigilant wrote:
Zoloft wrote:Why?

A little harsh for my taste.
Hrm... all right. Three days.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:41 pm

Zoloft wrote:Triptych banned for a week.
You mean "blocked", right? A "ban" is an indefinite block that no democratic volunteer Wikipediocracy manager is willing to overturn.

:D
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:06 pm

thekohser wrote:
You mean "blocked", right? A "ban" is an indefinite block that no democratic volunteer Wikipediocracy manager is willing to overturn.

:D
In the phpBB software, banned is just a word. :)

Triptych doesn't deserve the more formal 'tie him down and strip him of all rights' show trial.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:28 pm

Zoloft wrote:
thekohser wrote:
You mean "blocked", right?
In the phpBB software, banned is just a word. :) Triptych doesn't deserve the more formal 'tie him down and strip him of all rights' show trial.
Maybe I'll earn that yet; no seriously, I don't mind that you suspended my account for three days. You did sound a cautionary note, but I went ahead. I hope we are still on friendly terms.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:49 pm

Well I'm certainly grateful to Vigilant for commenting that a week-long block was harsh. Thanks, V.

I get ramped up a bit for something like that, and it's not light to stop on a dime. Zoloft sounded a cautionary note but I disagree that it was "doxing." Did Zoloft "dox" himself when he informed us who he was a week and an half ago?

It should be okay to post that material. It's surely not "doxing." It's not "outing." I gave rationale and clear parameters on it, talked it up, and read what came back. I'd describe it rather as "bad admin therapy."

Admin Ironholds, who with admin Tparis made the violent, lewd, and creepy IRC "joke" about their Wikipedia editor target of the moment, has since stated he realizes he needs to clean up his act and maybe stay off Wikipedia's official IRC. This wouldn't've happened with Chats' posting of the log here. So I feel I just apply the shine-the-light principle in a different way.

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:10 pm

Triptych wrote:

Well I'm certainly grateful to Vigilant for commenting that a week-long block was harsh. Thanks, V.

I get ramped up a bit for something like that, and it's not light to stop on a dime. Zoloft sounded a cautionary note but I disagree that it was "doxing." Did Zoloft "dox" himself when he informed us who he was a week and an half ago?

It should be okay to post that material. It's surely not "doxing." It's not "outing." I gave rationale and clear parameters on it, talked it up, and read what came back. I'd describe it rather as "bad admin therapy."

Admin Ironholds, who with admin Tparis made the violent, lewd, and creepy IRC "joke" about their Wikipedia editor target of the moment, has since stated he realizes he needs to clean up his act and maybe stay off Wikipedia's official IRC. This wouldn't've happened with Chats' posting of the log here. So I feel I just apply the shine-the-light principle in a different way.
The information you posted seems to have found its way onto ED. Perhaps other information of this type could go there also?

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:32 pm

'Projects' posted here have to fit Wikipediocracy's goals, not your goals.

Not my goals, not one member's goals.

Your project is simply not approved of by our leadership, and is something that would not fit what we're doing. Please do it somewhere other than Wikipediocracy.

Oh, and the next time someone throws up a 'STOP' sign, pay attention.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:02 pm

mac wrote:The information you posted seems to have found its way onto ED. Perhaps other information of this type could go there also?
They see to think that SirFozzie added weight to the decision-making process. Isn't that NYB's job?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:43 am

Trip, I say again: find a suitable host for your project and I'll help you. ED is not a suitable host, nor is the WO wiki.

It doesn't even matter what the host is, as long as you control it and no one else can mess with it.
Use a Blogspot or Wordpress blog. Start a Yahoo group. Anything.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:53 am

EricBarbour wrote:Trip, I say again: find a suitable host for your project and I'll help you. ED is not a suitable host, nor is the WO wiki.

It doesn't even matter what the host is, as long as you control it and no one else can mess with it.
Go for maximum visibility and start a facebook page.
Be sure to keep backups.

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:26 am

Whatever host you choose, please link it here, so that others may disseminate the information appropriately.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:50 pm

EricBarbour wrote:Trip, I say again: find a suitable host for your project and I'll help you. ED is not a suitable host, nor is the WO wiki.

The Directory: space on MyWikiBiz.com is controlled only by the User who creates the page, and the management of the site (a couple of trusted people, including me).

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:57 am

thekohser wrote:

The Directory: space on MyWikiBiz.com is controlled only by the User who creates the page, and the management of the site (a couple of trusted people, including me).
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm happy to have it where it is at Encyclopedia Dramatica. Somebody wants to copy-paste it somewhere, fine by me. I think the point has been made, there might be a rev. 3 but there doesn't really have to be. Yeah, I called it "project" but I'm going on to other things.

I didn't manage to fill in the triple fields on all of them. Carcharoth is a bit of a cipher for instance, but what I'd really like to know is if Courcelles is WMF. I'm thinking that one way to crack WMF's CDA 230(c)1 liability shield might be to identify enough of its employees operating as editors and within Wikipedia's administrative ranks. There'd be symbolic value if we can place WMF at Arbcom.