Anti-Spamhaus campaign

Hex
Retired
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Scott

Anti-Spamhaus campaign

Unread post by Hex » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:08 pm

Someone calling themselves "The STOPhaus Movement", who hates The Spamhaus Project (T-H-L), tried - and failed, by the look of it - to coordinate some kind of attack against Wikipedia - here's their Facebook page. Their grievance seems to be that they think Spamhaus is using its article to promote itself.
This is a new Op and I think it will die before it starts actually. It was based on observations that are being quickly fixed.
Fail. Anyway, Wikipediocracy readers may enjoy the following:
Spamhaus volunteers are desperately attempting to prevent any truth on Wikipedia. Although a third-party editor of Wikipedia made corrections to Spamhaus propaganda Page last night following a 4 hour chat between a respected Wiki Editor named Charmlet and our rep, John Smith.
Discussion on-wiki is here.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Wer900
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Wer900

Re: Anti-Spamhaus campaign

Unread post by Wer900 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:15 pm

:popcorn:

Charmlet, please be desysopped as soon as possible.
Obvious civility robots are obvious

Moonage Daydream
Habitué

Unread post by Moonage Daydream » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:19 pm

This should be interesting. Set up a fake "Anonymous" operation to get gullible WP editors to edit the WP article of your enemy. What could possibly go wrong?

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:07 pm

Hex wrote:Someone calling themselves "The STOPhaus Movement", who hates The Spamhaus Project (T-H-L), tried - and failed, by the look of it - to coordinate some kind of attack against Wikipedia - here's their Facebook page. Their grievance seems to be that they think Spamhaus is using its article to promote itself.
This is a new Op and I think it will die before it starts actually. It was based on observations that are being quickly fixed.
Fail. Anyway, Wikipediocracy readers may enjoy the following:
Spamhaus volunteers are desperately attempting to prevent any truth on Wikipedia. Although a third-party editor of Wikipedia made corrections to Spamhaus propaganda Page last night following a 4 hour chat between a respected Wiki Editor named Charmlet and our rep, John Smith.
Discussion on-wiki is here.
Discussing your concerns about wikipedia with a 17 year old boy with two strikes on the count.
That's gonna work out.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

SirFozzie
Wocka Wocka Wocka!

Unread post by SirFozzie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:34 pm

Likely a bored troublemaker, the guy behind STOPHaus (who was very very upset that Spamhaus was you know, blocking their right to saturate our email box with junk email we neither asked for nor desired.) was arrested for a very powerful DDoS a couple months back.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:38 pm

Look carefully. This might be the beginning of yet another editwar that will never end and never be resolved. People will splutter, megabytes of unreadable
text will be posted on talkpages and noticeboards, mediations will fail, arbitrations will block the wrong people.
Hi guys, responding to the ping from Revent here: I protected the article because there was an unacceptable level of back-and-forth reverting going on. As an administrator handling this task, my position is not "this side is right" or "this version is right"; my position is "you guys needed to stop reverting each other and start talking in order to reach consensus about which version is right." To that end, I protected the article to force you all to use the talk page rather than continue reverting each other. A fluffernutter is a sandwich! (talk) 17:11, 24 June 2013 (UTC)
I can't think of a better proof that she is a fool. There will be no "consensus".

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:46 pm

Believe it or not, I'm really very concerned that Charmlet is still impersonating an admin on IRC/#wikipedia-en-help, without a clue of how dangerous that could be if he angers the wrong people. The boy has broadcast his IRL identity all over the internet.
former Living Person

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:58 pm

There are all sorts of less demeaning synonyms for "boy," which connotes a very young juvenile male — someone who is 8, not someone who is 17. I'd suggest expanded vocabulary for all of us. "Dude," "guy," and "fellow" all work. Or call him "stupid wanker" or "silly shit" if you really hate him... "Boy" is patronizing, however.

In an unrelated note, I am currently bleeding all over my laptop, proving conclusively that human beings were not meant to pull weeds in the yard...

RfB

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:03 am

Randy from Boise wrote:There are all sorts of less demeaning synonyms for "boy," which connotes a very young juvenile male — someone who is 8, not someone who is 17. I'd suggest expanded vocabulary for all of us. "Dude," "guy," and "fellow" all work. Or call him "stupid wanker" if you really hate him... "Boy" is patronizing, however.

In an unrelated note, I am currently bleeding all over my laptop, proving conclusively that human beings were not meant to pull weeds in the yard...

RfB
I thought your wounds were from pulling weeds at Jimbo's talk page...

It would be easier to call Charmlet a 'young man' if he were not so jejune.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:38 am

Zoloft wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:There are all sorts of less demeaning synonyms for "boy," which connotes a very young juvenile male — someone who is 8, not someone who is 17. I'd suggest expanded vocabulary for all of us. "Dude," "guy," and "fellow" all work. Or call him "stupid wanker" if you really hate him... "Boy" is patronizing, however.

RfB
I thought your wounds were from pulling weeds at Jimbo's talk page...

It would be easier to call Charmlet a 'young man' if he were not so jejune.
Padawan learner?
Watch out for those Sith, Greg.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:49 am

The young gentleman in question.
former Living Person

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:There are all sorts of less demeaning synonyms for "boy," which connotes a very young juvenile male — someone who is 8, not someone who is 17.
Randy, always out of touch with reality.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Herbert West
Reanimator

Unread post by Herbert West » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:39 pm

"Respected editor?" Has everyone forgotten about Gwickwire already, or is this more along the lines of deliberate psychological obfuscation?

I suppose it doesn't matter either way, what with Charmlet being the loyal vassal of Ironholds. He appears to enjoy considerable protection due to that arrangement.
Knowledge is power; transparency is freedom.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:28 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:There are all sorts of less demeaning synonyms for "boy," which connotes a very young juvenile male — someone who is 8, not someone who is 17. I'd suggest expanded vocabulary for all of us. "Dude," "guy," and "fellow" all work. Or call him "stupid wanker" or "silly shit" if you really hate him... "Boy" is patronizing, however.
What's wrong with "teenager"?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:09 pm

Herbert West wrote:"Respected editor?" Has everyone forgotten about Gwickwire already, or is this more along the lines of deliberate psychological obfuscation?

I suppose it doesn't matter either way, what with Charmlet being the loyal vassal of Ironholds. He appears to enjoy considerable protection due to that arrangement.
I'm not so sure about Ironholds. It's as if many small things and a couple of lumbering bodies that he's previously set in motion are advancing upon him in the dark.
H. P. Lovecraft wrote:It was West who first noticed the falling plaster on that part of the wall where the ancient tomb masonry had been covered up. I was going to run, but he stopped me. Then I saw a small black aperture, felt a ghoulish wind of ice, and smelled the charnel bowels of a putrescent earth. There was no sound, but just then the electric lights went out and I saw outlined against some phosphorescence of the nether world a horde of silent toiling things which only insanity -- or worse -- could create. Their outlines were human, semi-human, fractionally human, and not human at all -- the horde was grotesquely heterogeneous. They were removing the stones quietly, one by one, from the centuried wall.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:05 pm

Zoloft wrote:
H. P. Lovecraft wrote:...the horde was grotesquely heterogeneous.
What a love[craft]ly turn of phrase.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Moonage Daydream
Habitué

Unread post by Moonage Daydream » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:01 pm

Looks like this one isn't quite dead yet. There was a discussion on AN/I about "User:STOPhaus violating NPOV and threatening "war"". There are some interesting rants on STOPhaus (T-C-L)'s talk page.
Operation Wikipedia War has been canceled and The STOPhaus Movement will seek legal rememdies in The Great State of Florida. It is perfectly reasonable to expect that purposeful libel, provided by a biased source, that includes name-calling, be removed from a page. It is further reasonable that an event is described in a manner that provides unbiased facts and not one-sided libel. If the Wikipedia Community wishes to persist this libel and Jimmy Wales has, personally, been notified and responded, we will be obligated to handle it in The U.S. Court System and with an injunction on Level3 Communications and the WikiMedia allocation at AS14907 STOPhaus (talk) 01:14, 10 July 2013 (UTC)
Apparently this is the man behind the screen.
Andrew Stephens shared a link.
14 hours ago
Damn is Wikipedia hard-headed or what?

They are incorporated in The Great State of Florida, and even more ironic, out of St. Pete. They abandoned St. Pete and FL Communities only a few years back and FL citizens are not too happy about that.

So, if Wikipedia wants to promote propaganda...we will do as any respectable Political Party would and rally against them.

Name and Address of Current Registered Agent:

CT CORPORATION SYSTEM
1200 S PINE ISLAND RD
PLANTATION, FL 33324 US

http://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/Corpor ... edia/Page1

As many STOPhaus supporters already know, we have a lot of Political Support in The State of Florida and we also are closely aligned with a Political Party in St. Petersburg, FL. I will contact the Party Leaders for THP and present this situation to them. They have a lot of remedies and have the right to contact every single registered voter in Florida with extreme effectiveness.

You may also know that THP broadcasts on an independent channel throughout the St. Petersburg area and provides news and topics of interest. I will ask the THP Party Leaders if we can get some airtime on the THP Newz Channel and transponder time. Wikimedia wants a war, so let's give them one they will never forget.

Lukeno94
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Lukeno94

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:30 pm

The guy's an idiot, but there we go.

Scott5114
Critic
Wikipedia User: Scott5114

Unread post by Scott5114 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:22 pm

What good is going after the registered agent going to do? A registered agent is literally just a company you pay for the purposes of appearing on registration paperwork (such that if your company moves or something you don't have to go through the trouble of updating all the registrations). What a dumbass.