Denizen
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Wikipedia’s anti-Pagan crusade

Unread post by HRIP7 » Fri May 24, 2013 4:26 pm

Andrew Leonard, Salon.com: Wikipedia’s anti-Pagan crusade
On November 19, 2012, the Wikipedia page for the writer David Jay Brown was deleted. Not just hidden from sight to the casual reader, or cut to pieces by an overzealous editor, but removed once and for all. Despite his having authored numerous books and his appearances on multiple TV shows, the consensus view of the Wikipedia editors who cared to consider the matter deemed Brown not notable enough for inclusion in the online encyclopedia.

“Qworty” — the Wikipedia editor unmasked as the writer Robert Clark Young in Salon one week ago — played a leading role in instigating Brown’s deletion. As Qworty, Young denounced Brown as a “self-appointed spiritual savior” who had styled himself “a modern-day messiah who combined all of the powers of Jesus and Freud and Einstein and Marx and, oh why the heck not, Timothy Leary, lol.” Young also resorted to his go-to critique for Wikipedia pages he found wanting: he accused Brown of repeatedly editing his own page in violation of Wikipedia’s conflict-of-interest policies.

Brown contacted me soon after the publication of my first Qworty/Young story, but I didn’t examine his story close enough to figure out Young’s real gripe against him. Then, a week later, I started receiving emails from members of “the Pagan writing and publishing community” thanking me for unraveling the mystery of Qworty’s identity. According to them, Young had been guilty of waging a vicious and nasty war against prominent Pagans throughout 2012.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Re: Wikipedia’s anti-Pagan crusade

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri May 24, 2013 5:52 pm

HRIP7 wrote:Andrew Leonard, Salon.com: Wikipedia’s anti-Pagan crusade
He's getting more push-back in the comments section, which is probably to be expected given the subject matter involved. Most people aren't going to sympathize with Pagans and Wiccans in general, whether or not they're guilty of self-promotion on Wikipedia (and I think we can safely say they were, at least when they got started).

Maybe he should have waited a couple more weeks...? I guess the first article must have gotten a lot of page-views, and that made them keen on placing these follow-ups sooner rather than later.

Tippi Hadron
Queen
Wikipedia User: DracoEssentialis
Actual Name: Monika Nathalie Collida Kolbe

Unread post by Tippi Hadron » Fri May 24, 2013 5:57 pm

HRIP7 wrote:Andrew Leonard, Salon.com: Wikipedia’s anti-Pagan crusade
On November 19, 2012, the Wikipedia page for the writer David Jay Brown was deleted. Not just hidden from sight to the casual reader, or cut to pieces by an overzealous editor, but removed once and for all. Despite his having authored numerous books and his appearances on multiple TV shows, the consensus view of the Wikipedia editors who cared to consider the matter deemed Brown not notable enough for inclusion in the online encyclopedia.

“Qworty” — the Wikipedia editor unmasked as the writer Robert Clark Young in Salon one week ago — played a leading role in instigating Brown’s deletion. As Qworty, Young denounced Brown as a “self-appointed spiritual savior” who had styled himself “a modern-day messiah who combined all of the powers of Jesus and Freud and Einstein and Marx and, oh why the heck not, Timothy Leary, lol.” Young also resorted to his go-to critique for Wikipedia pages he found wanting: he accused Brown of repeatedly editing his own page in violation of Wikipedia’s conflict-of-interest policies.

Brown contacted me soon after the publication of my first Qworty/Young story, but I didn’t examine his story close enough to figure out Young’s real gripe against him. Then, a week later, I started receiving emails from members of “the Pagan writing and publishing community” thanking me for unraveling the mystery of Qworty’s identity. According to them, Young had been guilty of waging a vicious and nasty war against prominent Pagans throughout 2012.
Another outstanding piece by Leonard. This part is hilarious:
Last week, Brown was understandably delighted to learn that his tormenter had been unmasked as a self-promoting violator of Wikipedia’s core principles. His immediate esponse? He engaged in a little revenge editing retaliation of his own. He swiftly edited Young’s page to include the Salon revelations, and then marked the page for deletion, using, he told me, “the identical criteria that [Young] used to mark the entry about me for deletion.”

Karmic retribution? Or just another example of how easy it is to take vengeful action on Wikipedia for personal reasons?

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Fri May 24, 2013 6:13 pm

OK, well, this is not entirely accurate. Ming suggests grabbing some of this :popcorn: and settling back.

Most of the part about the old ARBCOM case is OK, but David Jay Brown was taken down by the regular fringe theory triumvirate of Dougweller (T-C-L), History2007 (T-C-L), and Mangoe (T-C-L). And there is a very interesting detail in this, because Mangoe apparently noticed something fishy in all this and filed a report on AN/I the day before the AfD closed identifying the combat between Rosenbaum and Young (whose names were not known at the time, AFA Ming can tell). There's nothing on Mangoe's talk page that illuminates what brought this on, but there is a response there a few days later from Vidkun pointing at Young's other diatribe at Talk:Stregheria.

So there are two different conflicts which happened to converge at the same article. The battle between Young and Rosenbaum was known about six months ago, and the admin people completely dropped the ball on that. But Young was to some very large degree riding on the back of the FT/N campaign to keep the woo-woo crowd from using Wikipedia as a promotional vehicle and to force what articles do survive to admit that this stuff is all "true" only in their little world.
Last edited by Ming on Fri May 24, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mac
Banned

Unread post by mac » Fri May 24, 2013 6:40 pm

Ming wrote: Most of the part about the old ARBCOM case is OK, but David Jay Brown was taken down by the regular fringe theory triumvirate of Dougweller (T-C-L), History2007 (T-C-L), and Mangoe (T-C-L).
Just a few days ago History2007 exercised his "right to vanish":
04:01, 20 May 2013 MBisanz (talk | contribs) renamed user History2007 (78528 edits) to VanishedUserABC (RTV)

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri May 24, 2013 10:47 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:He's getting more push-back in the comments section, which is probably to be expected given the subject matter involved. Most people aren't going to sympathize with Pagans and Wiccans in general, whether or not they're guilty of self-promotion on Wikipedia (and I think we can safely say they were, at least when they got started).
"Push-back"? Looks like trolling to me.
Just a few days ago History2007 exercised his "right to vanish":
04:01, 20 May 2013 MBisanz (talk | contribs) renamed user History2007 (78528 edits) to VanishedUserABC (RTV)
And that's a bad thing. H2007 wrote good content, although he was prone to fight with certain Christians.
They've just forced out another editor they should have bent over backwards to keep.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Sat May 25, 2013 12:37 am

EricBarbour wrote:And that's a bad thing. H2007 wrote good content, although he was prone to fight with certain Christians.
They've just forced out another editor they should have bent over backwards to keep.
It doesn't appear that he was forced out. Apparently he set some sort of time limit to his participation.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu May 30, 2013 12:07 am

BLP subject and wp editor Cat yronwode has posted an essay about anonymous editing, Qworty and the anti-pagan crusade on her user page.

She's from your neck of the woods, Eric. Have you ever visited the Lucky Mojo Curio Company?

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu May 30, 2013 12:39 am

tarantino wrote:BLP subject and wp editor Cat yronwode has posted an essay about anonymous editing, Qworty and the anti-pagan crusade on her user page.
Excellent commentary. I'm surprised she's not being dragged to AN/I for "personal attacks".

I'm REALLY surprised her bio isn't being AFDed for bias, and for general awfulness.
She's from your neck of the woods, Eric. Have you ever visited the Lucky Mojo Curio Company?
Ugh, Forestville. A hellhole full of old hippies and snobby wine-growers. I'll never understand how a thing like that
could survive in a tiny rural dump like Forestville. Either some of those old hippies have lots of disposable income, or
more likely it's not a "shop", just a home mail-order business.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu May 30, 2013 10:16 am

The Lucky Mojo Curio Co. website wrote: The Lucky Mojo Curio Co. occult shop is located in the relatively small town of Forestville, California. We operate a mail-order business on the world wide web as well as a regular walk-in store for local customers to browse. We have a couple of acres here, and we grow many of our own herbs in our garden.
Actually, that sounds like an interesting place to spend a few minutes. Must smell nice in there.

I enjoyed the essay. We should ask her to allow its posting as a blog post here.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:57 am

Zoloft wrote:
The Lucky Mojo Curio Co. website wrote: The Lucky Mojo Curio Co. occult shop is located in the relatively small town of Forestville, California. We operate a mail-order business on the world wide web as well as a regular walk-in store for local customers to browse. We have a couple of acres here, and we grow many of our own herbs in our garden.
Actually, that sounds like an interesting place to spend a few minutes. Must smell nice in there.

I enjoyed the essay. We should ask her to allow its posting as a blog post here.
I agree. It's always interesting when someone who isn't a regular here or an insider on WP discovers and takes the Red Pill and then writes a good essay about it.

Hersch
Retired
Wikipedia User: Herschelkrustofsky
Wikipedia Review Member: Herschelkrustofsky

Unread post by Hersch » Fri May 31, 2013 6:22 pm

Mod note: I split off the more general discussion of "fringe views" and put it here.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Malcolm X